Some news...for those who are interested...

2 hours ago, football guy said:

It’s sounding more and more likely that Joe Douglas will become the football czar in New York once the Johnson’s relieve Adam Gase next Monday. They will take that decision “out of Douglas’s hands”, but will then give him power over everything else baring anything unforeseen. The rumor is that Woody does not want to come in and disrupt the process the front office has spent establishing over the last year and a half, and given the amount of respect Joe has throughout the league, doesn’t feel the need to step on toes. But with Woody coming back there will be more of an emphasis on winning. He will seek to provide resources and input to ensure Douglas has what he needs to fast track the rebuild. 

The Good: for the first time in a long time, the ownership will allow for a traditional, concise football operation where the coach reports to the GM. Joe Douglas is known to be very collaborative and appreciates a coach who has a voice and has such a sterling repuation, so I don’t foresee power struggles. 

The Bad: Although Joe is very collaborative and will want the coach to have a sole in identifying talent, Joe will be the architect of the roster and in many ways, the coach will be asked to coach rather than meddle in personnel decisions. This could turn off candidates who want to have a say in the QB decision. 

How it will impact the coaching search: the coaches coming in will have adequate power and say, but they will have to accept the job knowing that the makeup of the QB room will be Joe’s call. For this reason, you may not see many offensive HC candidates prioritizing this job. While many still hold Darnold in high regard, they don’t want to be forced a QB one way or another. For these reasons, I think it’s more likely we see a defensive-minded HC with a “team over player” philosophy (Marvin Lewis, Don “Wink” Martindale) than a rising star on the offensive side. 

I’m personally going to hold out hope that we can still land a program builder who will look past the QB decision with their sights set on winning with the cards they are dealt (Matt Campbell, Jim Harbaugh), but I think it will be hard to convince if Douglas is going to be the one pulling the strings.

Regardless, we are in for a wild ride this offseason. 

59 minutes ago, football guy said:

The only thing that I remain skeptical on is when/if the Jets interview Harbaugh, will Woody pull the rug from underneath and go for it. That’s what I worry about. 

Best case scenario (assuming Matt Campbell and other high profile college coaches are not interested): both Joe Douglas and Hymie Elhai develop their shortlist of candidates (likely already completed) and seek out an official interview with Jim Harbaugh. Jim is appealing to Joe based on his success and their mutual relationships. Jim is appealing to Hymie/ownership because of the PR appeal. Joe is impressed with Jim’s vision and feels confident that the power dynamic issues that Jim experienced in SF with Baalke won’t be a problem in NY; Jim OK not having personnel control and expresses that he would approach the job/hire a staff as if he’ll need to redeem Sam Darnold or develop a young QB—whatever Douglas ultimately sees fit. Hymie/ownership are on-board with finances. Deal done, everyone happy. 

^ that’s a lot for a Jets fan to ask for.

@Mogglez This guy is crushing you in the scoops department. Step your game up.

I don't see how your BAD is that bad really. Isn't that how it should be? GM constructing the roster and the HC coaching it. I'm sure they're all involved in opinions and such but GM builds, HC coaches. Or are you saying Douglas is pretty set on giving Darnold another chance and wants the next HC to be ok with that?

• Haha 3
  • Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To avoid making a long post even longer and making a longer introduction, many of you know that I have a source within the organization.  Many here can confirm this.  My source and I have been discuss

Some reeeeally great stuff here that I can certainly backup based on what I’ve heard. Some notes: •  If Pat Fitzgerald takes any job, I believe it will be Chicago.  I’m not holding my breath

Marvin Lewis would be the most Jets move of all time. 

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Hey man, the more contributions the better 😂.  

No but really though, a lot of what he said about the QB/Coach/JD dynamic is true. Douglas will have the final say on the roster.  It makes sense too.  Douglas’s clock starts ticking the second he drafts a QB of his own.  If he thinks more of next years class, he won’t be committing to a guy he doesn’t truly believe in.  Could he fall for Fields, Wilson, or Lance by the time the draft rolls around?  Sure.  There’s still a lot of things that can happen.  It’s all extremely fluid as of right now.

Now that the die has been cast as to our final draft position, any shot Morgan plays on Sunday?

• Upvote 1
40 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If we could get a hold of Don for HC, Elliot as OC, and Lovie or Marvin as DC, I might go as far as to say that it’s my ideal hire.  That would be a very impressive staff.

Lovie in particular would be interesting in terms of personnel. We’ve played 3-4 for more than a decade, and unless he was struck blind on the road to Champaign or something, Lovie is a strict Tampa-2 guy.

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, football guy said:

How it will impact the coaching search: the coaches coming in will have adequate power and say, but they will have to accept the job knowing that the makeup of the QB room will be Joe’s call. For this reason, you may not see many offensive HC candidates prioritizing this job. While many still hold Darnold in high regard, they don’t want to be forced a QB one way or another. For these reasons, I think it’s more likely we see a defensive-minded HC with a “team over player” philosophy (Marvin Lewis, Don “Wink” Martindale) than a rising star on the offensive side. 

This is very concerning. Not necessarily that I need an offensive minded head coach, but that I just want the best head coach. Are you saying that Joe Douglas is going to dictate the QB to the head coach rather than work together on the issue? Or are you just saying that Douglas, contractually, has final say on the 53-man roster? Because if it's just the latter, fine. But Joe Douglas needs to bring in the coach he feels is best for the team, and then work to put that coach's vision in place while still maintaining the big picture. To me, that would mean coach and GM agreeing on the QB, not a QB being forced down the coach's throat. 

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, slats said:

This is very concerning. Not necessarily that I need an offensive minded head coach, but that I just want the best head coach. Are you saying that Joe Douglas is going to dictate the QB to the head coach rather than work together on the issue? Or are you just saying that Douglas, contractually, has final say on the 53-man roster? Because if it's just the latter, fine. But Joe Douglas needs to bring in the coach he feels is best for the team, and then work to put that coach's vision in place while still maintaining the big picture. To me, that would mean coach and GM agreeing on the QB, not a QB being forced down the coach's throat. 

It's just my theory, and I have no basis of proof, but I maintain that Rhule passed on this job because he didn't believe in Sam. The story that he balked because the Jets wanted to name his coaches for him was the Jets PR team working overtime.

4 minutes ago, slats said:

this is probably the most difficult thing of the offseason.  for the first time, perhaps, the gm actually can pick the hc.  and since we're likely to also have a new qb, the coaching candidates will all voice their opinions on darnold and the guys they could pick in the top 5.  it's also unclear how offensive philosophies will impact the coaching decision and qb selections.  douglas has a tough task ahead of him, making sure the new hc/oc is on board with the draft philosophy which may not necessarily be taking fields or wilson at 2.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, section314 said:

It's just my theory, and I have no basis of proof, but I maintain that Rhule passed on this job because he didn't believe in Sam. The story that he balked because the Jets wanted to name his coaches for him was the Jets PR team working overtime.

could be.  we may never know.  

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Why in God's name would Hymie Whatshisname have any say in anything football? Go back to counting the parking receipts, for F--'s sake. 

Exactly. That is all bad news. Nothing seems to be really changing. That guy should not be the President of the team with any sort of influence. 

Campbell not interested? Well make him interested lol. FFS.

53 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

@football guy

@Mogglez

You guys are amazing. I was listening to Cimini on ESPN NY today and was like blown away at how little he knew. I get way better information here than the ESPN Jets beat reporter with 25 years experience...  unbelievable 

That's probably why Manish tried to extort our front-office for scoops.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
4 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

What's bad news exactly? That Joe Douglas could be running the show?

He is still reporting to Johnson/Elhai it sounds like. Bad. Until the Jets hire someone in the Elhai role from outside the org, we're spinning tires in the mud. Unless Douglas unequivocally says on Monday that he's in charge, the buck stops with me, I am hiring the coach- why should we believe anything is actually changing? Let's hear it from Douglas himself on Monday. Reading the tea leaves, it doesnt sound like that's going to happen.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

this is probably the most difficult thing of the offseason.  for the first time, perhaps, the gm actually can pick the hc.  and since we're likely to also have a new qb, the coaching candidates will all voice their opinions on darnold and the guys they could pick in the top 5.  it's also unclear how offensive philosophies will impact the coaching decision and qb selections.  douglas has a tough task ahead of him, making sure the new hc/oc is on board with the draft philosophy which may not necessarily be taking fields or wilson at 2.

Right, this is what I think. JD should ask every candidate what their plan would be to right the Jets' ship. That includes who he keeps, who he dumps, the guys he might target in the draft, and absolutely who his starting QB would be. A lot of these issues would need to be worked out thru the interview process, but they'd need to have a real understanding -and hopefully agreement- about the QB spot. Even if it's Joe D explaining that he wants the boatload of picks over the QB, but we can talk about free agents you might want to sign. They can't start off not agreeing about the most important position on the field. Douglas is looking long term, while the coach will be looking for something of a quick turnaround. If JD has (or develops) plans other than QB at #2, he's got to get the head coach another viable option, at least, besides Sam. Either a vet or another QB early in the draft. 

Just now, Matt39 said:

He is still reporting to Johnson/Elhai it sounds like. Bad. Until the Jets hire someone in the Elhai role from outside the org, we're spinning tires in the mud. Unless Douglas unequivocally says on Monday that he's in charge, the buck stops with me, I am hiring the coach- why should we believe anything is actually changing? Let's hear it from Douglas himself on Monday. Reading the tea leaves, it doesnt sound like that's going to happen.

Why wouldn't they report to the owner? He owns the team.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Why wouldn't they report to the owner? He owns the team.

If we see CJ at a podium on Monday firing Gase and not Douglas then we are screwed. Is Douglas getting full control? Lets see it then.

29 minutes ago, slats said:

You can't have it both ways. If the HC and GM both reporting directly to ownership is bad then you can't complain if in the new org structure the GM hires an HC that shares his vision and strategy moving forward.

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, section314 said:

And he ended up with Teddy Bridgewater?  The dude has far more control in Carolina than he would have w the Jets. It's as simple as that.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

You can't have it both ways. If the HC and GM both reporting directly to ownership is bad then you can't complain if in the new org structure the GM hires an HC that shares his vision and strategy moving forward.

I think Joe Douglas is in charge of the coaching search, and his recommendation to the owners will be the direction they go in. I'm not sure that they're changing their structure and having the coach report to the GM, though. 

Either way, they need to be on the same page. Especially at the most important position on the team. If the GM hires someone who agrees with him on what he wants to do at QB, great! I just don't want JD forcing a QB (Darnold?) on any candidate. That's not a recipe for success. 

• Upvote 2
46 minutes ago, slats said:

I wouldn't worry about this tidbit for one reason. A few years ago, i joined into an organization as a HC and really didn't have any immediate impact on the personnel decisions, but through working daily with the GM, my influence was imprinted on the team and the course of our franchise changed for the better. Two good minds working together is a powerful thing.

Only difference really, is that i joined into my friends dynasty fantasy league as a co-owner. We won the chip. 16 teams, with budgets/salaries. Pretty impressive if i do say so myself :P $1100  winner

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
15 minutes ago, slats said:

I think Joe Douglas is in charge of the coaching search, and his recommendation to the owners will be the direction they go in. I'm not sure that they're changing their structure and having the coach report to the GM, though. 

Either way, they need to be on the same page. Especially at the most important position on the team. If the GM hires someone who agrees with him on what he wants to do at QB, great! I just don't want JD forcing a QB (Darnold?) on any candidate. That's not a recipe for success. 

He doesn't have to force a QB on the coach but he can (and should) inform him of the strategy he is implementing based on his assessment of the existing roster - something he knows better than any candidate interviewing for the gig.

1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

@football guy

@Mogglez

You guys are amazing. I was listening to Cimini on ESPN NY today and was like blown away at how little he knew. I get way better information here than the ESPN Jets beat reporter with 25 years experience...  unbelievable 

Thank you so much for saying this....

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
On 12/27/2020 at 10:23 AM, Samtorobby47 said:

This is something I could get behind. 

Key is Martindale’s staff. This proposed staff is better than anyone we have had since Rex’s first year. 

i am tired of the no name staff of Nobodies at key positions in the staff. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

If we see CJ at a podium on Monday firing Gase and not Douglas then we are screwed. Is Douglas getting full control? Lets see it then.

Gase reports to CJ. Nothing says Douglas can’t get full control Tuesday. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

Douglas did not hire Gase.  Mac and CJ made that hire, it makes sense ownership would announce that firing since ownership was a big part of the hiring.

Also, who cares?!  As long as Gase is gone and Douglas is in charge of the coaching search were in good hands.  And the Jetnation sources are talking about a change in reporting structure too, which is something 99% of this board has wanting forever.  It seems to be you’re searching for something to be negative about.  

Let’s hear it from Douglas on Monday then. The reporting structure is the biggest problem with this organization followed by the QB. Underlying issue being ownership unwilling to budge on making a major change to the command chart. This all needs to change in order for the organization to have success.  Let’s see them communicate this to the fanbase. It would be a nice start. 

4 hours ago, football guy said:

Fans would be surprised: a lot of the people who work in the industry know a lot in terms of information, but aren’t as knowledgeable as say some fans on here are

Lifelong jet fan. Would not be surprised. 

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Let’s hear it from Douglas on Monday then. The reporting structure is the biggest problem with this organization followed by the QB. Underlying issue being ownership unwilling to budge on making a major change to the command chart. This all needs to change in order for the organization to have success.  Let’s see them communicate this to the fanbase. It would be a nice start. 

I would say picking bad coaches and GM's has been the biggest problem. 

• Upvote 3

For the hate Marvin Lewis crowd, the Bengals were the worst organization in sports when he took over and they have gone back to being terrible since he left.  

1991-2002 the Bengals went 55-137, 29%

They won as many as 8 games one time, they lost double digit games 9 times.

2003-2018 with Lewis the Bengals went 131-122-2, 52%

They won 8 or more ten times, they made the playoffs 7 times, they won 4 division titles in the toughest division in the NFL.

The 2 years since he's been gone? 6-24-1, 20%

He hasn't won in the playoffs with some of it his fault and some bad luck but he did an amazing job in a very difficult place to win without a great QB (palmer was on his way before the injury in the 05 playoff game)

Is he a top choice? No but he wouldn't be the worst choice.  

• Upvote 4
On 12/24/2020 at 2:59 AM, Lizard King said:

Marvin Lewis would be the most Jets move of all time. 

Hopefully the Johnson's learned from hiring fired sloppy seconds with their foolish Gase hire. Lets hire a winner...that might be a good idea.