Some news...for those who are interested...

Mogglez

3 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

If a quarterback hasn't played enough, he should not play some more. Then he will be good.

Pretty sharp take there. 

Jets have thrown three rookies in a row straight into the fire, how well has that worked out? A little less good than Mahomes has done after sitting his first 15 games, or Lamar Jackson being brought in slowly, etc., no? No shame in sitting and learning the pro game from the sidelines to start a career. Aaron Rogers sat for four years. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/27/2020 at 11:50 AM, Bugg said:

Johnson brothers think they can hard sell a retread.

Basically this franchise will start it's 3rd decade, roughly since the Johnsons bought in and Parcells and Bellichick fled like the choppers departing the embassy roof during the fall of Saigon, of telling you it's raining while peeing on your leg. 

I speak for myself. I'll always follow this team. But damn, if they don't straighten up and try to fly right, or merely operate sensibly and rationally, will ask myself why i'm still doing so. Between failing to grab the bull by the horns and commanding young guys be played to make The Tank a reality and now selling the likes of Marvin Lewis....W T F

So the Johnsons have hired 6 HC's, all 1ST time HC's. Maybe its time for an established HC with experience and credibility. The other way hasn't been working. 

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Pretty sharp take there. 

Jets have thrown three rookies in a row straight into the fire, how well has that worked out? A little less good than Mahomes has done after sitting his first 15 games, or Lamar Jackson being brought in slowly, etc., no? No shame in sitting and learning the pro game from the sidelines to start a career. Aaron Rogers sat for four years. 

Not playing makes players play better because Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers.

You just say sit him for a year because it's a thing to say. The whole reason that teams do it so much less frequently than they used to is that there weren't great reasons for doing it in the first place.

I don't want to wait a year to see if a guy can play. Certainly I can understand a Jets fan wanting to put the presumably bad news off for as long as possible, but that's feelings, not football.

4 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Not playing makes players play better because Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers.

You just say sit him for a year because it's a thing to say. The whole reason that teams do it so much less frequently than they used to is that there weren't great reasons for doing it in the first place.

I don't want to wait a year to see if a guy can play. Certainly I can understand a Jets fan wanting to put the presumably bad news off for as long as possible, but that's feelings, not football.

No, they stopped doing it as rookie pay rose and free agency came about, so they had to get them on the field to extract value and assess them as quickly as possible. Sitting used to be the norm, because the QB position is rather complex. It's the economic realities of the league driving these kids onto the field earlier, not the idea that starting day one as a rookie is a recipe for success. 

• Upvote 1

Throwing this in here from another thread:

As far as the draft goes, if you were to ask me today, I still think we are going to, ultimately, trade down and roll with Darnold one last time.  Sewell is, of course, still a possibility because of how clean and great of a prospect he is, but I’m still leaning towards trade down.  That being said, a lot is going to happen from now until the draft and, as I said in my OP, I would not completely rule out QB.  The head coach hire will certainly be an influence in the QB decision and nothing is concrete until that is sorted out.  Personally, after asking around and talking to my guy a little more this week, I think Zach Wilson will actually be the QB that impresses the most when it comes to the combine and the whiteboard work during the pre-draft process.  It wouldn’t shock me at all if he makes a case for himself at 2OA when it’s all said and done, especially if Fields bombs on Friday and we decide to go all in with a QB at that spot.  Keep in mind that I’m saying this as someone who was acting like a child, stupidly and angrily calling him trash, after the Rams win, because I was so livid about losing Trevor lmao.  I’m just hearing that the kid is very impressive in between the ears, and I can’t ignore that, no matter how reactionary I can get.

So nothing too crazy or really new, but I figured I’d throw in some Zach Wilson information I heard over the course of the week because there’s been a ton of discussion about the kid here.  If he does live up to what I’ve heard about him as this process plays out, I’d actually go as far as to say that he may not be the long-shot selection I originally thought or heard he would be at 2OA.  His level of competition is still a concern, yes, and there will need to be extensive medicals done on those shoulders, but he has got a ton of positives to him.  Especially with his “processor”.  The only thing I can guarantee is I’m going to have multiple silver hairs grow into my luscious, jet black, Greek hair by the time this is all done.  I just want to fast-forward to May.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

So nothing too crazy or really new, but I figured I’d throw in some Zach Wilson information I heard over the course of the week because there’s been a ton of discussion about the kid here.  If he does live up to what I’ve heard about him as this process plays out, I’d actually go as far as to say that he may not be the long-shot selection I originally thought or heard he would be at 2OA.  His level of competition is still a concern, yes, and there will need to be extensive medicals done on those shoulders, but he has got a ton of positives to him.  Especially with his “processor”.  The only thing I can guarantee is I’m going to have multiple silver hairs grow into my luscious, jet black, Greek hair by the time this is all done.  I just want to fast-forward to May.

Wilson 2020. The bolded is the most important trait a pro QB can have IMO. Quick processors naturally make less mistakes with the football and then you add that on top of having a cannon arm with A+ accuracy - you can’t pass that up. It’s 2020, these types of injuries aren’t that serious. The ball launches out of his hand like a rocket, those injuries have not hurt his velocity or durability - in fact this year shows they absolutely haven’t affected his throwing arm in any way. 

On 12/29/2020 at 8:43 AM, choon328 said:

So the Johnsons have hired 6 HC's, all 1ST time HC's. Maybe its time for an established HC with experience and credibility. The other way hasn't been working. 

Not that he had credibility but Gase had HC experience (Miami) when he was hired here.  Or maybe you were making a joke about that ("look at where hiring a guy with experience got us")?

On 12/29/2020 at 8:43 AM, choon328 said:

pretty sure Gase had a HC job before 

he was also the first offensive HC since Kotite

here's an idea maybe they hire a HC who does the HC job and find an  OC who calls plays and not have the same guy try (and fail) to do it all 

Gase was such a non factor with the defense, Ashtyn Davis doesn't even know who Dowell Loggains is 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

As far as the draft goes, if you were to ask me today, I still think we are going to, ultimately, trade down and roll with Darnold one last time.  Sewell is, of course, still a possibility because of how clean and great of a prospect he is, but I’m still leaning towards trade down.   

His level of competition is still a concern, yes, and there will need to be extensive medicals done on those shoulders, but he has got a ton of positives to him. 

Trade down is a tough trick to pull off.  Even if you get value for 2 overall, there's a high chance of Orlando Pacing the class. 

there's nothing in JD's 2020 draft class that should give anyone hope that he knows how to use mid round picks better than any other NFL GM 

as for Wilson there's no question he has a sweet processor. So did Chad

the medicals are scary and his level of competition was garbage. There's nothing he can do between now and April to change that essential cap on his draft stock

There's alot to like about Wilson. As a late rd 1 guy like Aaron Rodgers

at 2 he's reachy as hell 

if they are going to reach and OL is a no go for whatever reason they should reach on one of those gamebreaker WR we all know are going to be great anyway

rolling the dice at 2 in year 2 on Zach Wilson means JD is tying his career as GM of the NYJ to Zach Wilson. If he takes Sewell and that dude somehow busts it is not a fireable offense. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/29/2020 at 7:23 AM, slats said:

Pretty sharp take there. 

Especially considering how young these guys are.   

You don't get a lot of QBs who have started 35 college games.   These kids are truly kids.  That was one of my favorite things about Trevor, he has so much game experience for someone his age.

Whoever they draft, I hope they bring him along slowly.  They also have to get help for him, a running game, someone to throw to.

42 minutes ago, bitonti said:

here's an idea maybe they hire a HC who does the HC job and find an  OC who calls plays and not have the same guy try (and fail) to do it all 

Gase was such a non factor with the defense, Ashtyn Davis doesn't even know who Dowell Loggains is 

Do we know if they asked Ashtyn Davis who Adam Gase is? 

Also, I wonder how many offensive players don't know who Dowell Loggains is.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Throwing this in here from another thread:

As far as the draft goes, if you were to ask me today, I still think we are going to, ultimately, trade down and roll with Darnold one last time.  Sewell is, of course, still a possibility because of how clean and great of a prospect he is, but I’m still leaning towards trade down.  That being said, a lot is going to happen from now until the draft and, as I said in my OP, I would not completely rule out QB.  The head coach hire will certainly be an influence in the QB decision and nothing is concrete until that is sorted out.  Personally, after asking around and talking to my guy a little more this week, I think Zach Wilson will actually be the QB that impresses the most when it comes to the combine and the whiteboard work during the pre-draft process.  It wouldn’t shock me at all if he makes a case for himself at 2OA when it’s all said and done, especially if Fields bombs on Friday and we decide to go all in with a QB at that spot.  Keep in mind that I’m saying this as someone who was acting like a child, stupidly and angrily calling him trash, after the Rams win, because I was so livid about losing Trevor lmao.  I’m just hearing that the kid is very impressive in between the ears, and I can’t ignore that, no matter how reactionary I can get.

As always thanks for the info!

Worth pointing out, JD is not scares of drafting from a small school. He pushed for Ozzie to draft Flacco out of Delaware.

I’d have to think, if the shoulder + classroom + background check out...he’d be the pick.

His arm strength + accuracy is truly off the charts.

On 12/28/2020 at 6:46 PM, football guy said:

I don't think that decision has been totally settled but I think Joe Douglas is strongly leaning in that direction. Building a talented roster around the QB position has always been Joe's plan. What helps is that he's not choosing between Case Keenum and a draft pick; he's got a 23 year old former 1st round QB who is still highly thought of around the league. That helps spin his decision if he opts to stick with Sam. 

I also think it has less to do with Darnold and more to do with his views on roster building. Unless his evaluation on the other QBs matches the value he places on the #2 pick AND is far beyond the grade he has set aside for Darnold, I think he'll look to use #2 to acquire talent around the QB- most likely by trading the pick for a number of picks.

If he actually sticks with Darnold and doesn't draft a qb he's an idiot and will be fired in a couple years. Next year's qb class isn't better then this years and it's doubtful we will be picking this high again. Sticking with Darnold when you have Josh Allen tearing it up is the dumbest thing possible. Without a qb, this team can't compete with the Bills. Look at the Dolphins as the perfect example. That's the team we will be trying to become if we stick with Darnold and pass on qb. AFC East isn't an easy division, we need a franchise qb to compete, and if Douglas still thinks Darnold is a franchise qb he can't evaluate qbs worth a sh*t which is concerning in and of itself.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

If Douglas and Wink Martindale try to salvage Darnold (and sign Mariotta), any trade down must include a 2022 first rounder.  That way, if they need to find a new QB, they will have three first round picks to move up to get him.

For example, if the Panthers are in love with Wilson or Fields the Jets could move back to #9 and get another second or third in 2021 and a first in 2022.  Then you get Kyle Pitts or J. Chase and take the WR Toney from Florida with #34.  The rest of the draft should be a CB, C, T/G and backups.

After signing free agents:

• JuJu Smith, WR
  • Matt Judon, EDGE
  • Joe Thuney, G

That draft would look like...

• 1a) Kyle Pitts, TE
  • 1b) Wyatt Davis, C
  • 2a) Kadarius Toney, WR 
  • 2b) Derion Kendrick, CB
  • 3a) Alex Leatherwood, T/G
  • 3b) Asante Samuel Jr, CB
  • 4) Rashad Weaver, EDGE
  • 5) Chuba Hubbard, RB

Absolutely need to double-dip at CB, unless Marshon Lattimore shakes free from the Saints and Douglas can sign him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not that he had credibility but Gase had HC experience (Miami) when he was hired here.  Or maybe you were making a joke about that ("look at where hiring a guy with experience got us")?

I don't know how I overlooked Gase lol. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

I agree that they need a CEO type of leader.  I think someone else mentioned it but this is why I'd stay away from an offensive HC. They tend to want to call plays and I think that gets in the way of being the CEO type. Bring in a defensive guy and a young innovative OC to lead the offense. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, football guy said:

A few things confirmed today... 

• Joe Douglas is in charge of the entire football operation, and he will be running point on the Jets coaching search. It's his decision.
  • Jets want a CEO-type HC. Whether they are offensive- or defensive-minded is irrelevant. It's their primary focus this time around. 
  • The Jets are considering changing the reporting structure. The thought is that Douglas could become the Jets' football czar, with the new coach reporting to him and not ownership, as has been the structure since 2013. 
  • Woody Johnson will not interfere with the search. There was a report that he won't be involved in the interviews, but I've heard that's not necessarily true. He won't be involved in the first wave of interviews, but will be made available via zoom if necessary. Main reason: some of the candidates will want to at least meet and hear from the owner. 
  • Christopher Johnson will remain "CEO" with Woody Johnson will regain ownership status and in turn, final say on major decisions. 

From what I have heard, Woody will be a lot more focused with the business side, with Christopher being the primary liaison between the football ops up to ownership. There's some speculation that Woody's next big project could involve brokering deals with the NJSEA to continue transitioning the atmosphere around MetLife Stadium into a more fan-friendly experience. There's also talk that he could seek to resurface his desire to get a roof plan approved given historically low interest rates and incentive programs Murphy will be implementing on new construction projects. The stadium was built with the capacity to incorporate a retractable roof and the state always wanted it given the amount of additional revenue it could generate, but it was scrapped because the state wanted the Jets/Giants to foot the bill. Woody may see his window to get it approved in the next few years with tons of federal funding likely in the pipeline towards getting people back to work. The retractable roof project could do just that, and would attract a lot more major events in the future. 

Good post

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

For those who doubted @Mogglez sources just look at his original post.  Spot on

Thanks homie :).

7 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

But is he down to trade for Deshaun Watson? That's the true question. 

I would not count on it.  If Houston were to consider doing that (they haven’t and aren’t as of now), the haul it would require would be franchise crippling.

• Upvote 1

On 12/31/2020 at 6:54 PM, Dunnie said:

Domt overthink this .. draft zach ... compete in camp ... Darnold SHOULD trounce wilson as a rookie. . If he doesn't we know for sure what sam is. A backup ...and a good one.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Darnold would be a terrible backup. Backup QBs are only relevant when a team is one that can contend. A backup's job is to limit mistakes and keep the team in position to win.

Darnold is a turnover machine.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1