Some news...for those who are interested...

Mogglez

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

so that's it, marvin lewis is going to be the next HC?  how is he as an in-game coach?

I wouldn’t go that far lol.  He’ll definitely be up there.  As I said a few post back, also look for him to be a potential Asst. HC/DC for another specific candidate if they go with that person instead. 

*WINK, WINK*

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Lewis h coached for like 15 years on the bengals and only had like 4 losing seasons. This dude had seasons galore like 8-8, 9-7, 10-6, 11-5. 
not sure why there is so much hate for him. And i dont recall any great teams or players on the old bengals soooooooo

He's had 9 non winning seasons.  Seems to love 8-8

WIN/LOSS some perspective here fellas......think about the mystery surrounding unproven OCs and DCs....think about how many year these guys were head coaches and most importantly think about the talent the had to work with:

Beli  .683

tomlin .642

Reid .618

Harbough .615

Carroll .596

Quinn .538

gruden .518

MARVIN LEWIS .518

k shanahan .479

gase .469

kingsbury .344

patricia .297

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I wouldn’t go that far lol.  He’ll definitely be up there.  As I said a few post back, also look for him to be a potential Asst. HC/DC for another specific candidate if they go with that person instead. 

*WINK, WINK*

the other thing that bummed me out, was that they think so low of fields and wilson compared to darnold.  by the time april rolls around i doubt that will still be the case.  in particular i think wilson will be the hot qb.

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

yes he loves 8-8. these days so would I but look at the whole picture and keep in mind who the heck was on the bengals? Boomer? the defensive end guy? cant remember anyone else

Team   Regular season Postseason
Year Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result
CIN 2003 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC North - - -  
CIN 2004 8 8 0 .500 3rd in AFC North - - - -
CIN 2005 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Pittsburgh Steelers in AFC Wild Card Game.
CIN 2006 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC North - - - -
CIN 2007 7 9 0 .438 3rd in AFC North - - - -
CIN 2008 4 11 1 .281 3rd in AFC North - - - -
CIN 2009 10 6 0 .625 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to New York Jets in AFC Wild Card Game.
CIN 2010 4 12 0 .250 4th in AFC North - - - -
CIN 2011 9 7 0 .563 3rd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Houston Texans in AFC Wild Card Game.
CIN 2012 10 6 0 .625 2nd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Houston Texans in AFC Wild Card Game.
CIN 2013 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to San Diego Chargers in AFC Wild Card Game.
CIN 2014 10 5 1 .656 2nd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Indianapolis Colts in AFC Wild Card Game.
CIN 2015 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Pittsburgh Steelers in AFC Wild Card Game.
CIN 2016 6 9 1 .406 3rd in AFC North - - - -
CIN 2017 7 9 0 .438 3rd in AFC North - - - -
CIN 2018 6 10 0 .375 4t

in 2015 marvin went 12-4 and won his division with these players:

2015 Cincinnati Bengals final roster

Quarterbacks

Running backs

Wide receivers

Tight ends

Offensive linemen

Defensive linemen

Linebackers

Defensive backs

Special teams

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

*WINK, WINK*

I knew Brian Billick was ready to come out of retirement. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the other thing that bummed me out, was that they think so low of fields and wilson compared to darnold.  by the time april rolls around i doubt that will still be the case.  in particular i think wilson will be the hot qb.

Not to attack my own post lol, but I want to greatly stress that anything QB/draft related is soooooo far from being settled.  Maybe I didn’t do a great job of initially expressing that.  I wouldn’t say they think lowly of those two, I’d say it’s more indicative of what they still think of Sam.  That being said, my OP was written in December and a lot has changed since then (Sam closing out the year very poorly, Wilson and Fields lighting it up, etc.)

There’s so much that can still happen.  The head coach will have a heavy influence on that decision.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I’m warming up to Lewis. The most important quality in this next coach is somebody who has either experience running a team, or has shown an undeniable ability to do that. That’s a huge ? With coordinators like Daboll. Marvin Lewis at the head of the table with a talented staff is a reasonably good low risk recipe

Yeah, I would not be upset about it

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

*WINK, WINK*

Is that a clue like in Martindale 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, flgreen said:

or, you can view it as him having only 6 out of 16 LOSING seasons.

Thats a .625 career NON losing season record

compare that to the nfc east freaks that won their division with only like 6 or 7 wins

• Sympathy 1

Once again... Marvin Lewis turned the Bengals into a respectable team, I cannot stress that enough. I remember how bad they were growing up, it was akin to the Browns not too long ago. A laughingstock.

The only knock on him you can say is that he didn't win a playoff game. And that's understandable. Then you realize he made the playoffs so many times with freaking Canelo Dalton. Had Carson Palmer not blew out his knee, I think things would have looked different for them (and better)

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think if any QB has a chance to shoot up the draft boards after the combine , its Trey Lance. I don't care what the competition if you throw 28 td's with not a single int  and a comp % of like 67%, that's pretty impressive.  If this kid interviews well at the combine , he may very well be #3 behind Lawrence and Fields. 

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

I think if any QB has a chance to shoot up the draft boards after the combine , its Trey Lance. I don't care what the competition if you throw 28 td's with not a single int  and a comp % of like 67%, that's pretty impressive.  If this kid interviews well at the combine , he may very well be #3 behind Lawrence and Fields. 

I totally agree. that guy is being completely ignored someone is gonna find themselves a good QB at the end of rd 1

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I’m warming up to Lewis. The most important quality in this next coach is somebody who has either experience running a team, or has shown an undeniable ability to do that. That’s a huge ? With coordinators like Daboll. Marvin Lewis at the head of the table with a talented staff is a reasonably good low risk recipe

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I would not be upset about it

Given what he had to deal with as far as ownership goes and what he accomplished, I can’t completely hate the idea of hiring him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, King P said:

Once again... Marvin Lewis turned the Bengals into a respectable team, I cannot stress that enough. I remember how bad they were growing up, it was akin to the Browns not too long ago. A laughingstock.

The only knock on him you can say is that he didn't win a playoff game. And that's understandable. Then you realize he made the playoffs so many times with freaking Canelo Dalton. Had Carson Palmer not blew out his knee, I think things would have looked different for them (and better)

I'd be fine with him as long as his OC wasn't Hue Jackson. 

55 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

*WINK, WINK*

There is only one coach who Lewis would be the DC for.    Cowher

9 minutes ago, King P said:

yep and I just looked at their 2009 season. they lost the first playoff game, but to the stacked jets team which went on to the afc championship game (thats weird to type)

In 2011 they lost the playoff game to the mighty harbaugh led ravens which ultimately got booted themselves to the Pats.

I mean yes he has a bad playoff record, but at least he made it to the playoffs and with crap talent! the teams he lost to were stacked there really wasnt a chance

15 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

yes he loves 8-8. these days so would I but look at the whole picture and keep in mind who the heck was on the bengals? Boomer? the defensive end guy? cant remember anyone else

Team   Regular season Postseason
Year Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result
CIN 2003 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC North - - -  
CIN 2004 8 8 0 .500 3rd in AFC North - - - -
CIN 2005 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Pittsburgh Steelers in AFC Wild Card Game.
CIN 2006 8 8 0 .500 2nd in AFC North - - - -
CIN 2007 7 9 0 .438 3rd in AFC North - - - -
CIN 2008 4 11 1 .281 3rd in AFC North - - - -
CIN 2009 10 6 0 .625 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to New York Jets in AFC Wild Card Game.
CIN 2010 4 12 0 .250 4th in AFC North - - - -
CIN 2011 9 7 0 .563 3rd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Houston Texans in AFC Wild Card Game.
CIN 2012 10 6 0 .625 2nd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Houston Texans in AFC Wild Card Game.
CIN 2013 11 5 0 .688 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to San Diego Chargers in AFC Wild Card Game.
CIN 2014 10 5 1 .656 2nd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Indianapolis Colts in AFC Wild Card Game.
CIN 2015 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Pittsburgh Steelers in AFC Wild Card Game.
CIN 2016 6 9 1 .406 3rd in AFC North - - - -
CIN 2017 7 9 0 .438 3rd in AFC North - - - -
CIN 2018 6 10 0 .375 4t

Boomer, Chad Ochocinco, Corey Dillon , Willie Anderson, Carson Palmer, T J  Houshmandzadeh, Rudi Johnson, Shayne Graham, Geno Atkins, Andy Dalton, A J Green, 

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Boomer, Chad Ochocinco, Corey Dillon , Willie Anderson, Carson Palmer, T J  Houshmandzadeh, Rudi Johnson, Shayne Graham, Geno Atkins, Andy Dalton, A J Green, 

thats BS

you are calling out names of all their good players, but thats over more than a decade. those guys were not all on the same team at the same time

39 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

in 2015 marvin went 12-4 and won his division with these players:

2015 Cincinnati Bengals final roster

Quarterbacks

Running backs

Wide receivers

Tight ends

Offensive linemen

Defensive linemen

Linebackers

Defensive backs

Special teams

Prime Whitworth and uninjured Andre Smith 

Sewell and Becton, the prequel 

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Are you trying to make the point that Marvin Lewis actually had great talent but couldnt get it done?

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

thats like me saying why cant the jets win the super bowl. they have such great players: testaverde, gastineua, chrebet, becton, lyons.....you get my point

On 12/26/2020 at 4:47 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet it 110 % exists in the NBA, and the GM's themselves have admitted as much.  A supposedly professional organization where teams openly tank to benefit their program for the future. 

If the system is set up to where tanking actually works, then perhaps NFL teams need to get with the program and do it too.  Our own GM himself seems to acknowledge this might be a 1-QB draft, but doesn't take the steps necessary to get him with just 3 weeks left in the season?  Makes absolutely no sense.

In case you forgot, the NBA fields teams of 5 players, the impact is a whole lot different than one of 22 starters.