Some news...for those who are interested...

Mogglez

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

is the offense better with pitts and darnold or a new qb and weapons that can be acquired in FA, with seattle's 1st rounder and the rest of their picks?  

Keeping Darnold and investing in the offensive is like putting my 11 y.o. daughter behind the wheel of a new car and asking her to win the Indy 500.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, section314 said:

Any indication from your contact that Morgan is gonna get a shot to be the guy next year, especially if they trade down and pass on any of the top guys?

Nothing really on that front.  I’d venture to guess he will get a farrrr more legitimate shot than he did under the Gase regime.

Hiring Marvin Lewis will be a ******* disaster. WTF has he done? He’s nothing but an average head coach. 

Hire Brian Daboll and start focusing on the players we need in the locker room. Marvin Lewis can kiss my ass with his playoff record. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Seriously. Except there were 7 current probowlers & 2 1st team APs on that '15 Bengals team, (8 if you count Peerman on specials) as well as others who were still in their prime but didn't get the vote that year (Burfict, Dalton who was an alternate but didn't go due to injury, etc.) and other plenty-solid starters (Jones, Kirkpatrick, etc) and a killer OL. 

Damn straight he should've won a dozen games that year, if not more. Then they got bounced after the 1st playoff game (as usual) because Marvin's usual band of dirtbags handed Pittsburgh 30 unsportsmanlike penalty yards on 1 play to put them in FG range with :14 left to play. 

There are coaches that I'd like less than Lewis - hell, we just fired one - but 16 straight years is a crazy long time to coach without a single playoff win. If he couldn't win a playoff game with that stacked 2015 team odds are he's never winning one (let alone stringing multiple postseason wins together in a row to get to a SB). 

Lewis and Dalton may have been the perfect match. Both very close to the Mendoza line to hang around for a long time at their positions.

23 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Nothing really on that front.  I’d venture to guess he will get a farrrr more legitimate shot than he did under the Gase regime.

Are you aware of the front office believing that Morgan could be a starting QB? Are they that high on him? 

33 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

His teams were loaded with character issues for years, he lost in the playoffs, he has not been in coordinator or hc in college for a few years.

Now all candidates have questions, Lewis has connections and experience.  I simply think there are other guys out there I would rather have.

Yeah not saying he’s my first choice but I don’t think he’s the worst. 
Feel like the character issues wouldn’t happen under Douglas. But who knows. 

• Upvote 1

The trade down from 2 thing doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. There’s a few scenarios where I could see it, but I think they’re kind of stretches.

The Jets have Miami right behind them, Sewell the clear cut best position player prospect in the draft so moving down a little and losing him to a division rival doesn’t make sense, and trading down for a QB and risking losing that guy doesn’t really hold together either. 

Can probably acquire reasonably significant extra selections with that early 2 not long after taking the top guy on the board with the Seattle pick - or even move down with the Seattle selection.

The way the draft tiers seem to be shaking out though I think not taking Sewell or a quarterback is a mistake unless (and maybe even if) some team massively overpays and they absolutely adore Pitts, Chase, or Smith and don’t think that guy is a significant step down from Sewell. Which is possible but I don’t really buy.

7 minutes ago, derp said:

The Jets have Miami right behind them, Sewell the clear cut best position player prospect in the draft so moving down a little and losing him to a division rival doesn’t make sense, and trading down for a QB and risking losing that guy doesn’t really hold together either. 

This is how the Jets wound up with Vernon Gholston. Belichick traded up to the #7 spot, and the Mangenius and Tannenbaum felt trapped into taking the last, so-called, blue chip in that class. 

I don't want Joe Douglas to be thinking about anything other than what the best move for his Jets is. Speculating on what a division rival might do in the next spot is wasted brain activity. I'm not screaming trade down just yet, I'm taking my time learning about these QBs. In the end, it's should come down to his evaluation of the QBs vs. what he's being offered for the pick. That's my expectation. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

10 minutes ago, slats said:

This is how the Jets wound up with Vernon Gholston. Belichick traded up to the #7 spot, and the Mangenius and Tannenbaum felt trapped into taking the last, so-called, blue chip in that class. 

I don't want Joe Douglas to be thinking about anything other than what the best move for his Jets is. Speculating on what a division rival might do in the next spot is wasted brain activity. I'm not screaming trade down just yet, I'm taking my time learning about these QBs. In the end, it's should come down to his evaluation of the QBs vs. what he's being offered for the pick. That's my expectation. 

Miami because they seem to be focused on a position player, not because they’re a division rival. I’d feel the same way if it was Cincinnati behind.

If you’re drafting a quarterback, you take the quarterback.

If you’re not, in my opinion there’s too big of a drop off from Sewell to warrant giving up the right to draft him for picks.

I don’t think a pass catcher with the current QB situation moves the needle as much as a tackle, and the tackle is better anyway.

24 minutes ago, slats said:

darnold isn't an average starter or even a below average starter.  he's probably the worst starting qb in the nfl.  if it weren't for his draft position he'd have been benched a while ago and would not even be considered to start for another team next year.  and yeah, the jets shouldn't consider what miami is going to do when they stay or trade out of 2.  

i don't care if douglas has a 6 yr deal.  if he trades out of 2, keeps darnold for his rebuild and darnold still sucks while fields and/or wilson start out looking good, everyone here will be bashing douglas like we did when mccagnan passed over mahomes and watson, and he didn't have the 2nd pick.  gms generally lose or keep their jobs by finding or not finding qbs, because the qb generally is the reason teams succeed or fail.  on JI we can theorize about lots of stuff, but if i'm the gm of the jets, and my family's income depends on making the qb decision for this team, i'm taking my highest rated qb at 2 (assuming one is indeed rated high enough to take top 5) and trading darnold for what i can get and that's that.  it's the smarter move and helps the cap.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

To @Mogglez or @football guy , not sure I missed it but any word on what that schefter trade tweet was about? Any word from anybody about their reactions to it? 

Industry speculation. I think it's safe to say that Schefter is correct even if he didn't hear it from the horses mouth. There is no scenario where the Jets will stay at #2 and keep Darnold, and I think they will execute a trade well before the draft. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, football guy said:

Industry speculation. I think it's safe to say that Schefter is correct even if he didn't hear it from the horses mouth. There is no scenario where the Jets will stay at #2 and keep Darnold, and I think they will execute a trade well before the draft. 

Gotcha. Was just weird that he’s not usually a speculation type reporter. If he’s tweeting it, it’s usually pretty concrete info. 

31 minutes ago, football guy said:

So are you hearing the jets will trade darnold, or trade the #2 pick?  And what do your sources think of wilson vs fields and any other top projected player in the draft?

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

So are you hearing the jets will trade darnold, or trade the #2 pick?  And what do your sources think of wilson vs fields and any other top projected player in the draft?

I think there's a 60% chance the Jets keep Darnold. I think Douglas's first preference to keep Darnold. Question is what does coach think/want. 

I think Wilson is a superior prospect. No idea what the Jets think. We should find out after the coach is hired when the focus returns to building the board. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, football guy said:

I’d imagine if they were on the fence about Sam, an offer like two 1’s, and two 2’s from a team no higher than CAR (#8) or SF (#12); would make it hard to pass on an opportunity to build up the roster. 

1 minute ago, football guy said:

I think there's a 60% chance the Jets keep Darnold. I think Douglas's first preference to keep Darnold. Question is what does coach think/want. 

I think Wilson is a superior prospect. No idea what the Jets think. We should find out after the coach is hired when the focus returns to building the board. 

But if douglas wants to keep darnold, couldn’t you argue that he has an inherent bias towards coaching candidates who also want this?  If he’s deciding between 2 guys why pick the guy who came into florham park and said ‘darnold sucks i want a new qb at 2’ when you can pick the guy who says ‘darnold can be great with my coaching’?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I’d imagine if they were on the fence about Sam, an offer like two 1’s, and two 2’s from a team no higher than CAR (#8) or SF (#12); would make it hard to pass on an opportunity to build up the roster. 

That's what I think they're going to do. Keep an eye out on the Carolina Panthers GM situation. 3 of their candidates are really close friends with Joe. Monti Ossenfort is especially close. Wouldn't shock me if that hire segwayed a trade. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, football guy said:

That's what I originally thought, but he's made it abundantly clear publically and behind the scenes that he prioritizes the coach over the QB. Unlike Maccagnan/Chris Johnson, he will not hire a coach because of a specific player or their coaching staff. He views hiring the head coach as the most important decision this offseason, and with that, he will not pass on who he believes to be the best candidate simply because they disagree on the QB situation. There are multiple ways to build a team. 

He should prioritize the HC after the disaster he just had to sit through.  

As for darnold, i can’t see head coaching candidates wanting to try to fix darnold, when you can draft a qb at 2 on a rookie deal and still have the Jamal adams draft pick haul as well as FA and your own draft picks to rebuild the roster.  And if douglas trades out of 2, keeps darnold but darnold clearly sucks again next year but these rookie qbs shine, i think that will look very poorly on douglas. 

I prefer wilson to fields, i think wilson will be all all star, but I’m in the minority on this board, most prefer fields and i understand this.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

He should prioritize the HC after the disaster he just had to sit through.  

As for darnold, i can’t see head coaching candidates wanting to try to fix darnold, when you can draft a qb at 2 on a rookie deal and still have the Jamal adams draft pick haul as well as FA and your own draft picks to rebuild the roster.  And if douglas trades out of 2, keeps darnold but darnold clearly sucks again next year but these rookie qbs shine, i think that will look very poorly on douglas. 

I prefer wilson to fields, i think wilson will be all all star, but I’m in the minority on this board, most prefer fields and i understand this.  

I don’t think many of the coaching candidates see as much “fixing” as Jets fans think there needs to be. Unlike other busts his issues are very identifiable. It’s a matter of finding out how to maximize his talent, how he compares to incoming QBs, what kind of value they place on contract control, and of course the #1 thing: what’s most valuable to help this team find sustainable success (QB Darnold + #2 trade value OR QB #2 + Darnold trade value). 

There are quite a few candidates who like him a lot according to agents. One told me that they should put him in an RPO spread or an Air Raid and watch his production flip upside down overnight. I don’t necessarily agree personally, but point being there’s still a lot of respect for him. Staley really likes him. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don’t think many of the coaching candidates see as much “fixing” as Jets fans think there needs to be. Unlike other busts his issues are very identifiable. It’s a matter of finding out how to maximize his talent, how he compares to incoming QBs, what kind of value they place on contract control, and of course the #1 thing: what’s most valuable to help this team find sustainable success (QB Darnold + #2 trade value OR QB #2 + Darnold trade value). 

There are quite a few candidates who like him a lot according to agents. One told me that they should put him in an RPO spread or an Air Raid and watch his production flip upside down overnight. I don’t necessarily agree personally, but point being there’s still a lot of respect for him. Staley really likes him. 

If you were douglas what would you do?

Currently not feeling well (got my 2nd COVID vaccine shot yesterday and...yeah...I’m feeling it lol).  Thank you @football guy for jumping in.  I can vouch for pretty much everything they have said so far, especially this:

“...but he's made it abundantly clear publically and behind the scenes that he prioritizes the coach over the QB. Unlike Maccagnan/Chris Johnson, he will not hire a coach because of a specific player or their coaching staff. He views hiring the head coach as the most important decision this offseason, and with that, he will not pass on who he believes to be the best candidate simply because they disagree on the QB situation. There are multiple ways to build a team.”

That’s been the main concern from most of you asking questions and something I really wanted to address.  Until the coach is selected, I’d put it at a genuine 50/50 split in regards to Sam coming back or not.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, derp said:

If you’re not, in my opinion there’s too big of a drop off from Sewell to warrant giving up the right to draft him for picks.

I really can't wrap my mind around how Jets fans, after using the 11th pick overall last year on a franchise LT, want to use the 2nd overall this year on a franchise LT.  

Maybe we should get another LT with Seattle's first pick. You know....depth!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

Hiring Marvin Lewis will be a ******* disaster. WTF has he done? He’s nothing but an average head coach. 

Hire Brian Daboll and start focusing on the players we need in the locker room. Marvin Lewis can kiss my ass with his playoff record. 

Marvin Lewis completley turned around the Bengals as an organization. They didnt even have a scouting department before him. He cleaned house and revamped the entire organization top to bottom. Say what you want about his playoff record and that's fair, but the man was the best thing that ever happened to the Bengals and deserves respect off that alone. I dont want him here having said that, but it's disengenous to act as if he has done nothing. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

Are you aware of the front office believing that Morgan could be a starting QB? Are they that high on him? 

He’s got a ways to go, but that was expected.  I don’t think they view him as the next Brady if that’s what you’re wondering, but he’s a smart kid with a live arm.  There’s some moldable talent there, IMO.

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

I would lean Darnold and look to acquire a talented veteran unless my offensive coaching staff felt Wilson/Fields/Lance were can't miss prospects who they could get production out of right away. I just don't see can't miss in these guys. Every year QBs are overhyped, and there are not many prospects who can thrive regardless of situation. I think Wilson needs specific coaching/schemes, I think Fields needs specific coaching/schemes. I also think the best way for sustainable success is by building a stacked roster via trading down in the draft (see TEN, IND, BUF in recent years). 

Trade down, acquire a ton of picks, pump the roster with talent. Focus on building the base and establishing a culture in year 1. 

• If Darnold struggles, either plug in the vet to see if you have another Tannehill on your hands or just finish out the season and hold your head up high knowing you have +3 2022 1st round picks to work with in what is going to be another strong QB class. Another option would be to look into acquiring Stafford/Ryan/Carr depending how well the team performs. 
  • If Darnold performs good enough to give the Jets hope for the future, tag him and draft a QB in round 2 in 2022.
  • If Darnold plays elite football, you have a ton of picks to continue building your roster into a powerhouse going forward. 

If I were JD, I’d monitor the Marcus Mariota situation very closely to get competition for Sam or a rookie.  Maybe it’s because I’m biased because I loved him so much the year he came out, but that’s where I’d go if he were to be cut or made available for a cheap pick.

Again, just like Sam, this all very contingent on what scheme the new head coach is running as well.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, derp said:

The trade down from 2 thing doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. There’s a few scenarios where I could see it, but I think they’re kind of stretches.

Can probably acquire reasonably significant extra selections with that early 2 not long after taking the top guy on the board with the Seattle pick - or even move down with the Seattle selection.

The way the draft tiers seem to be shaking out though I think not taking Sewell or a quarterback is a mistake unless (and maybe even if) some team massively overpays and they absolutely adore Pitts, Chase, or Smith and don’t think that guy is a significant step down from Sewell. Which is possible but I don’t really buy.

Is Sewel though?  Heck Daniel Jermiah had him not as the best olineman in his rankings.

The issue with  picking Sewel is you are using a high pick on a right tackles either last year or this year.

If they are not going for a QB (Which i think the jets will do for sure) they should tray and trade down and parlay the one tackle into a couple other pieces.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Marvin Lewis completley turned around the Bengals as an organization. They didnt even have a scouting department before him. He cleaned house and revamped the entire organization top to bottom. Say what you want about his playoff record and that's fair, but the man was the best thing that ever happened to the Bengals and deserves respect off that alone. I dont want him here having said that, but it's disengenous to act as if he has done nothing. 

Vonteze burfect, Pacman jones , Chris henry, andre smith

He over saw a lot of problems