Some news...for those who are interested...

Mogglez

23 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

and if you're interviewing with the jets, and you're making recommendations on what you'd like to do as your first major decision as HC, are you betting potentially your ability to find future coaching jobs on darnold or on justin fields?  

Any HC candidate worth considering is not going to have a definitive opinion of what should be done at the QB position. Period. Stop.

They will surely discuss whatever perception they may have about Sam (some will have more knowledge than others - especially DC's who have planned against him), but no candidate will have a full evaluation of the player. And outside of college candidates (maybe) no one will have truly informed evaluations of the QB prospects that can be drafted.

I am so thankful that JD recognizes that he needs to hire the best HC he can - and then they will move forward together in making these important decisions. 

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

Any HC candidate worth considering is not going to have a definitive opinion of what should be done at the QB position. Period. Stop.

They will surely discuss whatever perception they may have about Sam (some will have more knowledge than others - especially DC's who have planned against him), but no candidate will have a full evaluation of the player. And outside of college candidates (maybe) no one will have truly informed evaluations of the QB prospects that can be drafted.

I am so thankful that JD recognizes that he needs to hire the best HC he can - and then they will move forward together in making these important decisions. 

yes they most certainly will.  the hc's job is directly tied to the success of the qb. in fact, douglas said flatly that the hc will have a major impact on the qb decision.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

yes they most certainly will.  the hc's job is directly tied to the success of the qb. in fact, douglas said flatly that the hc will have a major impact on the qb decision.  

If a candidate comes in and says I can't work with Darnold OR I definitely think we should keep him - he is not getting the gig. Only a fool would offer such definitive opinions in an interview process.

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

Uh, if a HC candidate doesn't have an opinion at who he wants at QB, why is he qualified to be a HC?

I clearly stated that will share whatever perception(s) they have of Sam or a college prospect if they have one. 

Just now, y2k8 said:

If a candidate comes in and says I can't work with Darnold OR I definitely think we should keep him - he is not getting the gig. Only a fool would offer such definitive opinions in an interview process.

I clearly stated that will share whatever perception they have of Sam or a college prospect if they have one. 

Ok, and then you don't think their decision to take the job or not might be influenced by what they believe the Jets will do?

13 hours ago, football guy said:

Considering how much Gruden/Mayock love him, the money they gave him, the plan they had for him, and how looked in limited action... Schefter said the Raiders have no plans to move him. They haven't fully committed to Carr. Can't see him getting moved but boy would I like that. Another player who you can't really compare a past example, but you know the talent is there. 

Why so much of it is scheme & coaching. Just think: there's a solid chance that the best QB in the NFL would've busted had he been drafted by any of the top 10 teams in his class other than the Chiefs. 

Kind of off topic but amazing to see how many trends are being broken at the QB position. You got a productive player who was one of the highest paid QBs in the NFL crash and burn. A 43 year old QB throwing 43 TDs. A running QB getting his first start at 30... and possibly becoming his team's 2021 starter and beyond. A QB going who saw his comp% rise 10 pts and go from bust to MVP candidate overnight. A 4th year QB get benched for poor play, demoted to 3rd string, then returning to the lineup and looking pretty solid. Veteran who went from middling starter, to traded, to backup, to top-notch QB within 8 months... these lists of "firsts" go on and on. Why I try to stress that no one situation is like another; all about the tape, analytics, coaching, relationship, and the fit.

Yeah, Mayock is head over heels for Mariota, so I’m gonna have to agree with you that he, likely, won’t shake loose, but I’ll never say never in this league lol.

Very good point on the trends.  It just says to me that making the right coaching hire is far more important than anything else.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

What ??

• Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, jgb said:

Ok, and then you don't think their decision to take the job or not might be influenced by what they believe the Jets will do?

No, I take Joe Douglas at his word. And I agree with the idea that if you have the *right* HC - a CEO type - they are going to look at the big picture. QB1 is obviously critical but is only a piece of the puzzle. 

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

They are not interviewing emotional Jets fans on JN.com for the HC position.

They are interviewing people who actually want to be Head Coach of an NFL franchise.

Yeah and any HC candidate worth his paycheck will have an evaluation and expectation on who he feels gives his new team the best option to win at QB. He's not coming here and saying ok JD you gave me a job thanks now tell me what to do. 

• Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Sense I get and many on here get from talking to specific people with knowledge of the situations is that coaches and people in the league have a different take on Darnold than many of us fans do.  It is completely possible that a new coach coming in may have coached against him, seen things on film that he loved, and decided this kid has it but due to a confluence of circumstances is play terribly.  

End of the day I have no idea what Darnold will be or how all these candidates feel about him.  Realistically I would bet some come in liking him, and some come in wanting to move on.  But I do believe that we as fans are making a much bigger deal of the perceived need to get rid of Sam than many others. 

Us fans are judging Sam based on who he has been, and the people who are in the NFL have a greater ability to project who he still can be.  I was all in with Sam originally, but the pain from his poor play has got me ready to let him go.  However, if Douglas and whoever has accomplished enough in football to be hired as our new HC (not to mention a not insignificant group of “experts”) believe that there’s still hope for Sam and we end up keeping him, I’ll go with that and hope for the best.

33 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

They are not interviewing emotional Jets fans on JN.com for the HC position.

They are interviewing people who actually want to be Head Coach of an NFL franchise.

I’m gonna step in here and simply say that many candidates were contacted through back channels months ago and a lot of them already have an idea of what they think of Sam.  This isn’t going to drag on until they can see him on the field.  A number of them already have a good idea as to which direction they want to go, whether that’s “I can fix him” or “I want my own guy at 2OA”.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So Sam Darnold is Joe Montana in this analogy.  lmao.

THat's not what I was saying... but the argument has been whether to draft a qb at 2 vs. keep Darnold and not draft a QB (and/or tradedown).  Why not both?  Draft a QB and keep Darnold, and let them compete?  Stack the QB room.

57 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

No, I take Joe Douglas at his word. And I agree with the idea that if you have the *right* HC - a CEO type - they are going to look at the big picture. QB1 is obviously critical but is only a piece of the puzzle. 

What do you mean take him at his word? I'm asking if whether Darnold or -- presumably -- Fields will be the QB can impact some candidates' decision-making process.

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Got to disagree with this.

We've had a few articles posted on here about the interview process.  One of the main things that interviewers look for is how prepared the candidate is for the interview.

They don't want wishy-washy opinions.  They want to see a prospect come in and clearly have studied the team, and have strong opinions on what the teams problems are, and how they are going to go about fixing them.  It only makes sense that they want a candidate to have definitive opnions.

They wern't articles about the Jets, but one of the examples they cited was Bowles.  During the interview he never referred to his notes, but knew the Jets roster, and problems, and had solutions.  His preparation had really impressed them, and they hired him.

Didn't work out so well, but the interview did. 

Can you imagine a candidate coming in and saying "Your problem starts with ownership. I'd tell the Johnsons to butt the eff out of my business."

I'd sign that dude lol

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yeah and any HC candidate worth his paycheck will have an evaluation and expectation on who he feels gives his new team the best option to win at QB. He's not coming here and saying ok JD you gave me a job thanks now tell me what to do. 

With all respect, I don't think you understand how executives are hired.

12 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Got to disagree with this.

We've had a few articles posted on here about the interview process.  One of the main things that interviewers look for is how prepared the candidate is for the interview.

They don't want wishy-washy opinions.  They want to see a prospect come in and clearly have studied the team,  have strong opinions on what the teams problems are, and how they are going to go about fixing them.  It only makes sense that they want a candidate to have definitive opnions.

They wern't articles about the Jets, but one of the examples they cited was Bowles.  During the interview he never referred to his notes, but knew the Jets roster, team problems, and had solutions.  His preparation had really impressed them, and they hired him.

Didn't work out so well, but the interview did. 

They are hiring a head coach not a talent evaluator.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’m gonna step in here and simply say that many candidates were contacted through back channels months ago and a lot of them already have an idea of what they think of Sam.  This isn’t going to drag on until they can see him on the field.  A number of them already have a good idea as to which direction they want to go, whether that’s “I can fix him” or “I want my own guy at 2OA”.

That's fine. And they may have a leaning one way or another. But to declare yeah or nay - no qualified candidate is dumb enough to do that.

This doesn't require Sam taking the field again. And the decision is not just about Sam. It involves draft evaluation as well. What candidate is really going to have definitive decision at this point given all the moving parts?

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

What do you mean take him at his word? I'm asking if whether Darnold or -- presumably -- Fields will be the QB can impact some candidates' decision-making process.

I take him at his word that nothing is decided about Sam and/or the #2 pick - therefore leaning one way or another on keeping or trading Sam will not impact if that candidate is hired or not.  What I believe would impact it is presenting yourself as an outsider who thinks he knows enough to make a definitive call before being hired and really digging in to proper evaluation. 

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

How can I say you’re dead wrong in a way that you’ll understand. Or is there even a point? Please clarify whether you have a brain or a cement mixer on top of your shoulders

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

How can I say you’re dead wrong in a way that you’ll understand. Or is there even a point? Please clarify whether you have a brain or a cement mixer on top of your shoulders

Why don't you take a leap of faith and explain? 

Type slower if you think it will help.

I'll wait.

Just now, flgreen said:

If you don't think a big part of HC's job is being a talent evaluator I don't know what else to say.

It's obviously part of the job. A big part of the job. But still just a part.

Do you really think the DC of the 49ers has a fully formed opinion about the QB draft class?  

11 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Why don't you take a leap of faith and explain? 

Type slower if you think it will help.

I'll wait.

Cement mixer. 

why don’t you consider what it takes to land the coach you want and how that person may have a voice in the landscape they want of take on. Being, you know, coaches. Who coach football. Not manage contracts and confer with personnel. If a desirable coach tells the GM that his staff doesn’t want to work with say Darnold - that will 100000000% play into decision making 

3 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Do you really think the DC of the 49ers has a fully formed opinion about the QB draft class?  

If he wants to be a HC , he better have a strong opinion of the team he's interviewing for QB situation.  Or he's not getting the job. If he doesn't have a strong opinion The interviewers will quickly decide he's not a guy who prepares for big challenges.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaa, we'll talk to your agent in the next week or two, next" 

32 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

That's fine. And they may have a leaning one way or another. But to declare yeah or nay - no qualified candidate is dumb enough to do that.

This doesn't require Sam taking the field again. And the decision is not just about Sam. It involves draft evaluation as well. What candidate is really going to have definitive decision at this point given all the moving parts?

Like I said, these guys have known for months that they were going to be getting calls from the team.  They have been doing their work for a while.  On Sam.  On draft prospects.  If they don’t like Darnold, the only thing Sam could do is get on a practice field and change their mind, and that’s not going to happen.  A decision will be made on this fairly quickly.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Like I said, these guys have known for months that they were going to be getting calls from the team.  They have been doing their work for a while.  On Sam.  On draft prospects.  If they don’t like Darnold, the only thing Sam could do is get on a practice field and change their mind, and that’s not going to happen.  A decision will be made on this fairly quickly.

The question should be “ what do you think of Morgan?”

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

If your interviewing for a job , do you wait until you get offered the job to research the company or do you prepare and do that in advance. And no I don't expect them to have a complete breakdown of the QB draft class, but I'd expect him to be able to answer a question like - Would you like to stick with Sam or draft a QB. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

I take him at his word that nothing is decided about Sam and/or the #2 pick - therefore leaning one way or another on keeping or trading Sam will not impact if that candidate is hired or not.  What I believe would impact it is presenting yourself as an outsider who thinks he knows enough to make a definitive call before being hired and really digging in to proper evaluation. 

Ok I understand now. Thanks.