Some news...for those who are interested...

Mogglez

11 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If he wants to be a HC , he better have a strong opinion of the team he's interviewing for QB situation.  Or he's not getting the job. If he doesn't have a strong opinion The interviewers will quickly decide he's not a guy who prepares for big challenges.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaa, we'll talk to your agent in the next week or two, next" 

I want the next HC to have strong opinions about how they will be HC of the NYJ, not if Justin Fields is worth the #2 pick. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

we can speculate on anything here.  but if you're joe douglas, and your career and family's financial future depend on your NYJ qb decision, are you betting your job on darnold or on a different guy?  that's the reality, not whether it's a multivariate equation.  and if you're interviewing with the jets, and you're making recommendations on what you'd like to do as your first major decision as HC, are you betting potentially your ability to find future coaching jobs on darnold or on justin fields?  

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I'm all in on Fields at this point given the financials surround the two QB's situations, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Sam goes to a team that knows how to use him and has a resurgence. 

10 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Like I said, these guys have known for months that they were going to be getting calls from the team.  They have been doing their work for a while.  On Sam.  On draft prospects.  If they don’t like Darnold, the only thing Sam could do is get on a practice field and change their mind, and that’s not going to happen.  A decision will be made on this fairly quickly.

I'm sure the candidates who were not game planning each week had more bandwidth to do more due diligence, and I'm not saying a decision can't be made within a few weeks of being inside the building.

Regardless, Joe D is not doing his job right if he is informing each of these candidates what his offseason strategy is during the interview. So why would the candidate go any further than saying this is what I do i think if we keep Sam and this is what I think if we don't. Why would a candidtae disqualify himself if he picks the wrong JD opinion?

• Upvote 1

Just now, y2k8 said:

I want the next HC to have strong opinions about how they will be HC of the NYJ, not if Justin Fields is worth the #2 pick. 

That's the GM's job.  He won't need to have detailed break downs of Wilson, and Fields.   What he will be expected to have a strong opinion on is, does he want to move forward with Darnold.  As an NFL DC he will be expected to have a book on opposing starting QB's in the NFL.    Even if he is in the NFC, he will be expected to have studied the team he is interviewing for as the HC.   

If he didn't take the interview serious enough to  put that time in to prepare for one of the most important interviews of his life, why would they think he would prepare for the problems facing this team.  

I guess we have to just disagree, but I know if  a HC candidate came in, and didn't have excellent knowledge of Darnol's strong and weak points, and a very strong opinion of what Darnold's future was moving forward, I would think he's lazy and move on.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If your interviewing for a job , do you wait until you get offered the job to research the company or do you prepare and do that in advance. And no I don't expect them to have a complete breakdown of the QB draft class, but I'd expect him to be able to answer a question like - Would you like to stick with Sam or draft a QB. 

This is a ridiculous false equivalency. You're expected to research the company. You're not expected to have all the answers before you actually start the job.

6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I guess we have to just disagree, but I know if  a HC candidate came in, and didn't have excellent knowledge of Darnol's strong and weak points, and a very strong opinion of what Darnold's future was moving forward, I would think he's lazy and move on.

And if I were an HC coming in, I would want JD to know that whatever we as an organization ultimately decide to do with Q1 and the draft, I'm the person he should entrust to make it work.

11 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

And if I were an HC coming in, I would want JD to know that whatever we as an organization ultimately decide to do with Q1 and the draft, I'm the person he should entrust to make it work.

That's assuming you're unemployed, searching for work, and don't have significant competition.

We're head hunting. Different game. 

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He doesn’t have to divulge anything.  JD isn’t married to any one idea and no one is gonna disqualify themselves for “wrong think”.  You’re right in the sense that nothing is concrete, but some of these candidates do already know which way they want to go.  I’ll end this by saying what I’ve heard all along:  JD had a good idea going into this process who his top candidates were.  If his top guy (or one of them) nails the interview, but wants to draft his own QB (or, for arguments sake, keep Sam), that is the direction they are likely to go.  This head coaching hire is far more important than the QB decision and will play a huge role in future decisions.

Thank you. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, derp said:

I think there’s more to team building than filling needs. Sometimes you just take the really good player staring you in the face because he impacts the team more than a couple of good players.

And again, I think they will and should take a quarterback. I just think if they go the position player route, Sewell impacts the team dramatically more than other players available in this class. The Jets had the most success this year running the ball behind a big, nasty, freak athlete in Becton. Adding another big, nasty, freak athlete lets you run it both ways, keep your quarterback clean, doesn’t let defenses flip their edge players to get away from one tackle, and just contributes to wearing guys down.

Also think you’re devaluing RT. Another example is the Eagles taking Lane Johnson at 4 overall to play right tackle with an elite Jason Peters on the left side. Johnson’s contract extension, again while he was on the right side, made him the highest paid offensive lineman in NFL history. That’s a team that had an elite offensive line and won a Super Bowl while the line was clicking. I’m sure they’re quite happy they took Johnson there.

I just do not agree with using the 2nd overall pick for a player, although could be a perennial pro-bowler, when there are SO many other areas of need which have priority.  And if Douglas can make a couple of moves, gain 4-5 picks, and STILL get a top 15 pick out of this draft, you do that as well.  Good GM's hit on about 50 percent of their picks, so better to have more players.  I get this is NOT a strategy Jets fans like to hear, given how poorly we have drafted over the past 10 years, but we have to have faith that Douglas will be that good.  Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I just do not agree with using the 2nd overall pick for a player, although could be a perennial pro-bowler, when there are SO many other areas of need which have priority.  And if Douglas can make a couple of moves, gain 4-5 picks, and STILL get a top 15 pick out of this draft, you do that as well.  Good GM's hit on about 50 percent of their picks, so better to have more players.  I get this is NOT a strategy Jets fans like to hear, given how poorly we have drafted over the past 10 years, but we have to have faith that Douglas will be that good.  Time will tell.

We have plenty of picks. What we need is some blue chip talent. Specifically at QB.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, Paradis said:

That's assuming you're unemployed, searching for work, and don't have significant competition.

We're head hunting. Different game. 

No. It's assuming you're a person who can excel no matter the situation.

The candidate needs to sell himself not his partially informed opinion of the QB situation. 

2 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

THat's not what I was saying... but the argument has been whether to draft a qb at 2 vs. keep Darnold and not draft a QB (and/or tradedown).  Why not both?  Draft a QB and keep Darnold, and let them compete?  Stack the QB room.

No QB room with Darnold in it is "stacked".  He's a QB3.

Keeping Darnold just means sacrificing the draft capital we could get back for him in a deal.  Instead he'd be walking as a free agent after 2021, and the Jets would get nothing back but perhaps a low round comp pick in 2023.  

Here's how you "stack" the QB room:  Draft a QB, trade Darnold, and sign Jameis Winston.  Or someone like Tyrod Taylor/Andy Dalton/Ryan Fitzpatrick.  James Morgan ends up the QB3.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No QB room with Darnold in it is "stacked".  He's a QB3.

Keeping Darnold just means sacrificing the draft capital we could get back for him in a deal.  Instead he'd be walking as a free agent after 2021, and the Jets would get nothing back but perhaps a low round comp pick in 2023.  

Here's how you "stack" the QB room:  Draft a QB, trade Darnold, and sign Jameis Winston.  Or someone like Tyrod Taylor/Andy Dalton/Ryan Fitzpatrick.  James Morgan ends up the QB3.

I don't know man, by age 30 or so, Sam might be Ryan Fitzpatrick. You really want to give that up? 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Coincidentally Fields is probably best in an RPO or Air Raid type of offense as well. Stay at two and take the best available QB (Fields or Lawrence). Keep Darnold, let Fields sit and go from there.

If Darnold takes off we can tag him and make sure it’s not a one time thing. If he kills it again in 2022, we can get a boat load of picks for Fields.

If Darnold stinks it up again, we’ll we got Fields.

I'll buy that for a dollar.

• Thumb Down 1

23 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

No. It's assuming you're a person who can excel no matter the situation.

The candidate needs to sell himself not his partially informed opinion of the QB situation. 

That’s just not the case. Your logic isn’t poor. It’s poorly applied here. That rhetoric is appropriate for a variety of jobs and situations, it’s not the right answer to this one.

sorry. 

17 hours ago, football guy said:

I'm convinced Marcus can still be a really good QB. A terrific one at that. 

I really like your inside scoop, FG-  can you consolidate your latest intel in a couple of bullet points for those of us who haven't checked this thread every day?

SAR I

4 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Coincidentally Fields is probably best in an RPO or Air Raid type of offense as well. Stay at two and take the best available QB (Fields or Lawrence). Keep Darnold, let Fields sit and go from there.

If Darnold takes off we can tag him and make sure it’s not a one time thing. If he kills it again in 2022, we can get a boat load of picks for Fields.

If Darnold stinks it up again, we’ll we got Fields.

I like this option too. It also gives the Jets the ability to let him walk in FA and collect a comp pick.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

So following this strategy you keep Darnold.

However what if Darnold can't turn it around?

I love the idea of trading down usually, so you don’t have me pegged right. Pretty much want the Jets to do it every year, even would like them to do it later in this draft. Don’t like it at 2 in this class.

Quarterback impacts this team the most over both the short term and the long term, followed by edge and offensive line. But, this is a weak edge class. Special prospects need to be treated differently than really good prospects, too. 

All a top 15 pick does is gives you a guy with a lower probability of hitting at a different position, and I think that guy will struggle to have as direct of an impact because of the team’s construct. It’s pretty meaningless to me. And if it’s about acquiring picks, you can do that later in the draft without 

Think we’ll have to agree to disagree. I don’t think we’re coming any closer together and it’s getting repetitive, I think on both ends.

• Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

If Darnold can't turn it around, and Wilson/Fields turns into a franchise QB................................

Joe will be back as a scout in short order. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If Darnold can't turn it around, and Wilson/Fields turns into a franchise QB................................

Joe will be back as a scout in short order. 

That is why I don't go with Sam alone no matter the move.

First James Morgan was drafted for a reason.  JD, I believe, thinks that Morgan could be a starter in the NFL hence his pick when we "shouldn't" have drafted him.

Second, I would draft Fields and let the two battle it out and if Dranold poop the field next year you have a rested and ready to go Fields the following year.  I for one would not rely on Sam alone! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

That is why I don't go with Sam alone no matter the move.

First James Morgan was drafted for a reason.  JD, I believe, thinks that Morgan could be a starter in the NFL hence his pick when we "shouldn't" have drafted him.

Second, I would draft Fields and let the two battle it out and if Dranold poop the field next year you have a rested and ready to go Fields the following year.  I for one would not rely on Sam alone! 

If Wilson, or Fields is taken at 2, I honestly don't care if Sam is on the team or not.  I can actually see some scenarios where it could happen, and be benitficial 

• Upvote 1

If they need a QB and like Fields/Wilson....sure. 

But if they are not going that direction, trade down (IF they can)

If JD doesn’t like Fields, he will be able to trade down for sure. But if he doesn’t like him, I wonder what’s his Plan B is. If it is Darnold I’m tuned out for next year. 

I also believe Wilson will go around #10-15 (12 is my guess). Bad vibes from this guy.

• Sympathy 2

***Reposting from another thread for visibility***

So I’ve done some digging on this Eric Bieniemy story over the last few hours.

My guy completely laughed at the notion that JD has already selected a guy...so yeah.  Take that for what you will.  That doesn’t mean Bieniemy won’t get the job, but this process is far from over.  In fact, the word I’m getting is there are a number of candidates the Jets are much higher on than EB...they just haven’t formally interviewed yet.

I’d keep a close eye on Matt Eberflus, Brandon Staley and Don Martindale (if/when they formally request him.  I’ve heard he isn’t too keen on interviewing until the Ravens are eliminated.)

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Often I’d agree but not this time. The team isn’t desperate for more draft picks. There are only so many rookies that’ll start at the same time even if they hit.

15 is how far down a #2 pick team trades when it isn’t sitting on 4 1st round picks in the next 2 drafts, plus a few more extra mid-rounders. Also you do that only when you’ve already got a FQB everyone knows is great or on the cusp of greatness.

If the roster sucked except we’ve got D.Watson, then by all means trade down from 2 to 15 and pick up an extra full set of draft picks in the process.

• Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

My guy completely laughed at the notion that JD has already selected a guy...so yeah.  Take that for what you will.  That doesn’t mean Bieniemy won’t get the job, but this process is far from over.  In fact, the word I’m getting is there are a number of candidates the Jets are much higher on than EB...they just haven’t formally interviewed yet.

I’d keep a close eye on Eberflus.

Praying for Campbell.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’d keep a close eye on Eberflus.

Any word on how Saleh did in the interview?

And thanks for all the info so far. Much appreciated. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Grandy said:

Praying for Campbell.

He is my favorite candidate, and based on what I’ve heard, the team’s favorite as well.

I just don’t think he leaves.  If he does, I firmly believe he will be the best coach we’ve had in decades.  I just don’t want to get my heart all excited just for it to be stomped on, lol.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Any word on how Saleh did in the interview?

And thanks for all the info so far. Much appreciated. 

Of course, you’re very welcome.

I haven’t heard much on that front just yet (he just recently wrapped up lol), but if I do I will let you know!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I didn't say that....IF Justin Fields looks the part at the combine, interviews well, and the new coach wants him, you take him.

BUT...if the new coaching staff wants to keep Darnold and roll a year with him, then I think you trade down and take multiple picks and try and hit on your fifty percent ratio with them.  If we keep Darnold, I don't think Sewell is the missing piece, but if the Jets keep Darnold and take Sewell, I would be fine with it.  We're all just playing armchair GM anyway.

I guess I didn't answer your question...What if we keep Darnold AND he can't turn it around?  Well, we have two first round picks next year as well.  We'd probably be drafting high anyway, so perhaps you use the two picks plus whatever else to go get your QB in 2022.  

• Upvote 1