Some news...for those who are interested...

Mogglez

12 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

0% of people follow through on being "done."

I have no emotional attachment to the jets anymore.  Haven’t for years.  I watch to laugh.   

I also know plenty of people who have given up on the Jets.  My entire immediate family were all big jets fans.  No one besides me has watched a game in a few years.  Easy to do when you are not from the NYC area.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It’s the Johnsons moves, and no I don’t trust anything they’re going to do. Douglas is just a passenger making the draft picks. He’s not picking or budgeting for a coach. Everything outlined in this thread as a sell or a positive is exactly why this team is such a mess. The Johnsons hired Gase. They hired Maccganan. Now let’s just blame them instead? You hired them! Why weren’t they vetted? Everyone knew Gase sucked. Everyone knows Lewis sucks. Marvin Lewis would be a terrible but cheap hire and Sam Darnold stinks. You want Matt Campbell? Pay him. It’s simple.Enough of the excuses. It’s crazy people are buying what they are trying to sell you again.

What else does your crystal ball say?  Johnson making the hire, JD a puppet, no money, if you hire the wrong guy you'll never make the right hire?  Lewis would be the chef hire? LOL 

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Sure. But the Johnsons hired Maccagnan and Idzik. Guilty by association. It’s also not total nonsense that Marvin Lewis would be a terrible hire. That’s a fact.

No, maybe you should revisit the definition of a fact or an opinion because its clearly your opinion.  Thats actually a fact

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Mogglez this was fantastic early morning reading for me. I'm one who has always been high on Lewis and wanted him when we hired Herm.  He got stuck in the weeds in Cincy, but he has shown that he is a damn good coach.  I don't like his loyalty to Hue but oh well. 

As far as JD, the quote I used was right in line with what I think.  He's legit and the Johnsons, who have used outside help to hire GM's and coaches have to feel grateful to have such a GM in house. That includes his upper management team of Savage, Hogan and Alexander. These guys are top tier imo. 

I don't have the same fears that the Johnsons will force feed candidates down an obviuosly well connected and thought of GM who happens to work for them. 

If it's Lewis (not my first choice) then it's Lewis. He would be a good guy to give a shot to have learned from his mistakes.  He's had a while now to sit and think. I'm all in the Matt Campbell camp but Lewis would be fine by me. 

Good to have an opposing view expressed so well. Thank you. This does give me some degree of solace Re:Marvin. I still don’t love the notion, and a Lewis hire would be panned league wide...but so do most things the Jets do. Again, If JD is making the call, I will give him some serious rope at this stage. Everything that happens in FA and the draft will stem from that choice. I’m with you on Campbell. Hopefully he’s willing to make the jump and the Jets are willing to pounce.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

To avoid making a long post even longer and making a longer introduction, many of you know that I have a source within the organization.  Many here can confirm this.  My source and I have been discussing the Jets since Sunday and where they go from here and he dropped some tidbits on me that I’ve had confirmed to me by a second, more prominent, source and am now ready to share with all of you as I’ve been given the “ok”...so here we go:

My guy is pretty certain that if the Jets don’t go QB, that they will either go Sewell and build around Sam for one more “do or die” season, or they will look to trade down.  However, JD really loves Sewell and a trade may be hard to pull off (although this was all discussed before Cincinnati won and dropped themselves in the draft, so that could change given how much the Bengals want and, quite frankly, need him).  I was also told that Zach Wilson is likely a long shot to be the selection and Douglas, if he goes QB, is more likely to go Fields.  The team is high on Justin.  There is, obviously, still a ton of work to be done however.

The most disheartening news that he spilled though is yes, for those who have been keeping tabs on what I said in another thread earlier, there are legitimate rumblings that Marvin Lewis might get a serious look at Head Coach.  I just got finished up with the more prominent source who is very connected to the league in order to kinda get a second word on this and can now confirm it.  From what I was told, they’re still going to swing for the fences with Matt Campbell and Pat Fitzgerald, but are not sure if they will leave the college ranks, especially without Lawrence.  Other names who we’ve talked, and I have mentioned before, are Greg Roman, Brian Daboll, and Joe Brady (least likely as of today).  Personally, I’d like to see Arthur Smith thrown in there too.  I believe he will be.  A dark horse discussed was Jim Harbaugh, who Woody loves, and has loved for a long time.  However, I don’t believe he leaves Michigan (yes @Defense Wins Championships, as much as I don’t love the idea, there is a chance).

The more prominent guy basically parroted what I’ve been hearing since last year and throughout this season.  The league is MUCH, and I can’t stress that enough, higher on Sam than the fans and such are, which is a big driving force behind the “give Sam one last ride” idea.  While it’s obviously very early and almost everything I’m saying right now as of today can change, the league view on every guy not named Trevor is not favorable.  Fields is most people’s number 2, with Wilson rising, but that is more of an indictment on what Fields has put on tape this season.  The consensus among the league is that Sam can absolutely be salvaged with the right talent + coaching, and that they actually view that as the scenario that would yield more rewards than drafting Fields, Lance, Wilson, etc.  Personally, I don’t know how I feel about that, but I’m not the one who is making that decision so I try and remove myself from that headspace.  Ideally, JD, as much as he loves Sewell, wants other players at premium positions to blow up from now until draft day, trade down, and get as much high end talent as possible to build a complete team.  The thinking is if Sam can’t do it after that, you can still look for a QB next year in a class that, as of now, looks more “whole” than this years class.  Both guys also said to me that the league feeling is that, our boy, Maccagnan was a disaster of unparalleled proportions and Sam is far from “broken beyond repair”.  They went as far as to say that they believe he is more fixable and moldable than Tannehill was coming out of Miami.  Obviously Gase was discussed and they could not stress enough how awful he is scheme-wise.  What he does is not “QB friendly” by any stretch of the imagination.  From the limitations on audibles (QB sneak-gate was a big example of this) all the way to route combinations.  The guy just doesn’t understand how to help his players, particularly his signal caller.  

Getting back to the draft, as of today (and of course this can change with big performances from a QB like Fields in the playoffs, more extensive film study, and whiteboard work at the combine, etc.) the thinking, not just with us, is that the QBs in this class not named Lawrence are not worth getting fired over.  There is less risk with giving Sam one last ride than associating yourself with, say, Zach Wilson, a BYU QB who lights up UCF and teams of that ilk, for the foreseeable future.  Especially if you think Sam can still reach his full potential, which was thought to be very high.  Of course we discussed the chance that a team like Denver, Chicago, Pitt, etc. blows JD away with a trade for Sam as well.  It’s unlikely, but will be something to monitor. 

While this news may not thrill many of you, both my source and the prominent person I spoke to in order to further confirm this, have done everything to back me off the “I can’t believe Douglas would do this, what a nightmare” ledge.  They stressed that he will get this team on the right track, one way or another, and that he is the real deal.  I was nervous to post this because the whole process is early, fluid, and I have no idea what type of information I will get as things change, but I always told you guys that I would be upfront with the information I could share and I will stick to that.  

It all makes sense to me.  I'm not as down on Marvin Lewis as many here are.  Wouldn't be my first choice but the guy went to the playoffs virtually every year with mediocre QB play.

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This is pretty much how I thought JD would be looking at this draft. Amazing, we may have a GM who doesn't have his head up is butt. I agree that none of the QB's not named Trevor are anything you can't pass up. 

Thanks for posting. 

I’d second this. The tidbits contained in the thread are mostly encouraging. Appreciate you passing it along to us.

JD functioning as a full GM is great.

Personally, I believe in Sam. I’m not delusional, but maybe it’s a big if hope. I dunno. He would be plan A, but as a alternative to rolling the dice on the other QBs in this draft? Sure.

The coaching names are encouraging. That’ll just have to play out. I don’t have a favorite there yet, like I’ve had in the past.

• Upvote 3

@Mogglez Tell me if I'm reading too much into your comments. If JD truly loves Sam, and wants to build around him, would he pass on Lawrence if given the chance and trade out to stack the picks? Or, if he feels like we are stuck at#2, and Sewell is the guy, and the Bengals love him too, do we just basically need to stay in front of them? Meaning, if Cincy fell to say 4th, and a QB needy team is 3rd, we can move down 1 spot and still get our guy and picks?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

To avoid making a long post even longer and making a longer introduction, many of you know that I have a source within the organization.  Many here can confirm this.  My source and I have been discussing the Jets since Sunday and where they go from here and he dropped some tidbits on me that I’ve had confirmed to me by a second, more prominent, source and am now ready to share with all of you as I’ve been given the “ok”...so here we go:

My guy is pretty certain that if the Jets don’t go QB, that they will either go Sewell and build around Sam for one more “do or die” season, or they will look to trade down.  However, JD really loves Sewell and a trade may be hard to pull off (although this was all discussed before Cincinnati won and dropped themselves in the draft, so that could change given how much the Bengals want and, quite frankly, need him).  I was also told that Zach Wilson is likely a long shot to be the selection and Douglas, if he goes QB, is more likely to go Fields.  The team is high on Justin.  There is, obviously, still a ton of work to be done however.

The most disheartening news that he spilled though is yes, for those who have been keeping tabs on what I said in another thread earlier, there are legitimate rumblings that Marvin Lewis might get a serious look at Head Coach.  I just got finished up with the more prominent source who is very connected to the league in order to kinda get a second word on this and can now confirm it.  From what I was told, they’re still going to swing for the fences with Matt Campbell and Pat Fitzgerald, but are not sure if they will leave the college ranks, especially without Lawrence.  Other names who we’ve talked, and I have mentioned before, are Greg Roman, Brian Daboll, and Joe Brady (least likely as of today).  Personally, I’d like to see Arthur Smith thrown in there too.  I believe he will be.  A dark horse discussed was Jim Harbaugh, who Woody loves, and has loved for a long time.  However, I don’t believe he leaves Michigan (yes @Defense Wins Championships, as much as I don’t love the idea, there is a chance).

The more prominent guy basically parroted what I’ve been hearing since last year and throughout this season.  The league is MUCH, and I can’t stress that enough, higher on Sam than the fans and such are, which is a big driving force behind the “give Sam one last ride” idea.  While it’s obviously very early and almost everything I’m saying right now as of today can change, the league view on every guy not named Trevor is not favorable.  Fields is most people’s number 2, with Wilson rising, but that is more of an indictment on what Fields has put on tape this season.  The consensus among the league is that Sam can absolutely be salvaged with the right talent + coaching, and that they actually view that as the scenario that would yield more rewards than drafting Fields, Lance, Wilson, etc.  Personally, I don’t know how I feel about that, but I’m not the one who is making that decision so I try and remove myself from that headspace.  Ideally, JD, as much as he loves Sewell, wants other players at premium positions to blow up from now until draft day, trade down, and get as much high end talent as possible to build a complete team.  The thinking is if Sam can’t do it after that, you can still look for a QB next year in a class that, as of now, looks more “whole” than this years class.  Both guys also said to me that the league feeling is that, our boy, Maccagnan was a disaster of unparalleled proportions and Sam is far from “broken beyond repair”.  They went as far as to say that they believe he is more fixable and moldable than Tannehill was coming out of Miami.  Obviously Gase was discussed and they could not stress enough how awful he is scheme-wise.  What he does is not “QB friendly” by any stretch of the imagination.  From the limitations on audibles (QB sneak-gate was a big example of this) all the way to route combinations.  The guy just doesn’t understand how to help his players, particularly his signal caller.  

Getting back to the draft, as of today (and of course this can change with big performances from a QB like Fields in the playoffs, more extensive film study, and whiteboard work at the combine, etc.) the thinking, not just with us, is that the QBs in this class not named Lawrence are not worth getting fired over.  There is less risk with giving Sam one last ride than associating yourself with, say, Zach Wilson, a BYU QB who lights up UCF and teams of that ilk, for the foreseeable future.  Especially if you think Sam can still reach his full potential, which was thought to be very high.  Of course we discussed the chance that a team like Denver, Chicago, Pitt, etc. blows JD away with a trade for Sam as well.  It’s unlikely, but will be something to monitor. 

While this news may not thrill many of you, both my source and the prominent person I spoke to in order to further confirm this, have done everything to back me off the “I can’t believe Douglas would do this, what a nightmare” ledge.  They stressed that he will get this team on the right track, one way or another, and that he is the real deal.  I was nervous to post this because the whole process is early, fluid, and I have no idea what type of information I will get as things change, but I always told you guys that I would be upfront with the information I could share and I will stick to that.  

I appreciate the post but to me its damn depressing. I am not sure what I hate more between hiring Lewis or drafting Fields but I am walking away from this franchise if they draft Fields.

Don't know how anyone looks at Lewis's very long sample size of a tenure in Cincinnati and hires him. Bengals never won a single playoff game in 16 seasons. His teams were habitually undisciplined  and barely over .500. Really, what is his big selling point? Am I missing something? Would be the definition of a braindead retread, and utterly typical of the idiocy that is the Johnson brothers. But certain Lewis can babble about "toughness" and the Johnsons, being morons, will eat it up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Pennington said:

I appreciate the post but to me its damn depressing. I am not sure what I hate more between hiring Lewis or drafting Fields but I am walking away from this franchise if they draft Fields.

Either of those things really has to put sensible fans in the position of wondering if this team is worth their time, loyalty and money. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, King P said:

Good stuff as always @Mogglez

My thoughts:

While I do believe Marvin will get a legitimate look, that doesn't mean it will happen, nor do I think it will. I really like Arthur Smith, and if we're going the coordinator route, he's my top guy. What he's done with Tennessee's offense is nothing short of spectacular, and I think he's way better than LaFleur if we're comparing the 2.

As far as Sam, I can see that being the case. I just don't see it happening. We haven't helped him, but he hasn't helped himself either. The more tape I've watched, the more frustrated I get. I've counted almost 10 different times where his receiver was open and if he sees him it's a touchdown. But he completely whiffs. I'm not sure it gets better regardless. Despite what people feel about Fields, I am still high on him, and am glad they are too.

If no QB at 2, I'd rather trade down a couple of spots. Carolina is at 4, ATL.is at 5, both of them could trade up for a QB. At 4 or 5, we could still grab a premier prospect like Jamarr Chase or Gregory Rousseau 

Mogglez raised an interesting point. If other GMs think we are going QB, we could possibly trade down twice. First with Cin so they can take Sewell and then with a team that wants a QB. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Don't know how anyone looks at Lewis's very long sample size of a tenure in Cincinnati and hires him. Bengals never won a single playoff game in 16 seasons. His teams were habitually undisciplined  and barely over .500. Really, what is his big selling point? Am I missing something? Would be the definition of a braindead retread, and utterly typical of the idiocy that is the Johnson brothers. But certain Lewis can babble about "toughness" and the Johnsons, being morons, will eat it up. 

There isn't one.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Sewell is the pick. Even if you don't get to a Super Bowl in 5 years you could trade 1 of these stud tackles. Sign Thuney & Lindsey, move McGovern to RG, trade or cut Fant & save 8 million. You start that way BEFORE the draft & you can kick azz with Seattle pick, #33 & two 3rds! 

You would come out of the gate in 2021 with probably the best Oline in football! Becton in his 2nd year, Thuney, Lindsey, McGovern or Clark (they fight it out in camp & Sewell! How would you like to be a QB or a RB behind that Oline? If we didn't have Seattles pick, you might trade back but we have to hit on that high of a pick! Plus, you save 8 million on Fanta contract & give it to Lindsey! + only 2 million more. Veterans + young Studs = nasty Oline. 

Boom. Every other resource can now go towards weapons, Edge & CBs with all of your late picks starting at the top of the 3rd your LBs, TE? Ect.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Those may be their thoughts today. They have probably not scouted Wilson much. That opinion will likely change. Everything they think will change over the next couple months. 

I disagree. JD is a professional scout, and his team is top notch. I'm sure they've been scouting every college prospect in depth. Obviously the discussion will ramp up once the season is over, but the notion that they have not scouted Wilson much is ludicrous. If that is the case, JD and his staff should be fired right now. That's their primary job...

• Upvote 1

Thanks. Glad to hear that JD puts a premium on building the “team” through the draft and doesn’t think s young QB can fix everything that is wrong with the team. Shocked that he basically agrees with many posters that Gase’s system is not QB friendly and that this “theme” escapes reporting in the media, which only ever seems to say Gase’s O is bad because it doesn’t perform well without getting into the why’s.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Lizard King said:

Team is it. Draft  Sewell, build around the line. Remove all excuses for Sam to not be successful. Harbaugh should be given a king’s ransom

Suspect the Michigan buyout makes Harbaugh a total nonstarter for the pennywise/pound foolish Jets moron owners. 

58 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I said this when Jeremiah first mentioned Lewis name, and I won't waiver.  Marvin Lewis is a better coach than most people credit him for.  He made the Bengals a solid club for a decade and did it with Andy Dalton at QB for a good portion.  He's probably not my 1st choice, but he shouldn't be a doom and gloom candidate either.  The fact that he's been in the college game for a few years now probably gives him a bit of a fresh outlook too.

If you start piecing this info together, Darnold staying, building up the OL, Lewis actually seems like a reasonable fit, as that seems very similar to his recipe in Cincinnati.

only worry with him is when he interviewed for Dallas last year he was adamant about Hugh Jackson coming with him as his OC so you have to be comfortable with Jackson being the guy to turn Darnold around. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

4 hours ago, football guy said:

Pretty much on par with what I've heard, but my source is a girl. 

The thing not being spoken of enough is how highly Joe Douglas thinks of Darnold and that he was the primary reason for taking the job. Sure he did not expect to be drafting #1-2, but I also don't think he's going to take a QB just because Darnold hasn't played well in a disastrous scenario. It was just 18 months ago when Douglas acknowledged that having a 22 year old QB with the grade he had on him is an enormous pressure reliever because of how hard it is to evaluate college quarterbacks. When you consider this coupled with the fact that Joe has 4.5 years left on his contract (5 drafts), why would Joe Douglas risk taking a QB not-named Trevor Lawrence this year? If he uses #2 on a QB and that player busts, Joe is out. If he builds the roster up and hires a culture-building coach, he likely sees a second contract regardless who the QB is when the time comes. It only helps that the feeling is pretty unanimous among the Jets staffers that Darnold has the ability and temperament to be a great QB... the bigger question is whether he's redeemable, which I'm sure he already has developed an opinion on, and will be a topic in head coaching interviews. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire HC plan is for Joe Douglas to sell himself, which is why the FO is cautiously approaching things as if his role will be elevated. At the same time, I think the Jets realize that it's going to be extremely hard to lure a staff hear. Sure there's money and big picture plan for the HC, but for the positional coaches it's different. For one, some may be influenced by current politics and perception that "NY is in trouble". Others may consider cost of living and Covid restrictions for their families livelihoods in the nearterm and not wanting their family to live here (being from Monmouth County I scoff at this, but coaches consider it). And then the most obvious: the Jets have been one of the few cellar dwellers over the past decade, and the perception that its an organization where "people go to die" does exist. All these reasons are why the HC decision is so important, and it's why some feel strongly that an established name like Marvin Lewis could quickly become the favorite if the college guys are not interested. Then again there's always the possibility that Joe Douglas finds someone he likes and decides to do the heavy lifting himself- becoming intimately involved in selling positional coaches on the New York Jets and why its an organization to join. It also falls in line with the notion that he may try to add some positional coaches he trusts (Press Taylor, Anthony Weaver). 

Chances of landing Pat Fitzgerald are so remote that we haven't even discussed it. The good news on Campbell is that no one thinks he is a "package deal" with Lawrence so there's hope there, but I'm pessimistic. If they want Greg Roman he should be there for the taking so it will bare watching what the Jets interest level is. I mentioned Chris Petersen in the other thread (doubtful). Monken may be invited back to interview as he was the runner up for Hymie and Christopher in 2019 and Joe knows him from his days as a collegian coach. I don't think Harbaugh will happen - not because of a desire to stay in Michigan, but because I think the Jets will truly let Douglas run the show this time around. So when you vet all these candidates and start realizing that many may not be available, it could put the Jets in a tough spot. 

The biggest problem the Jets could encounter: being that they don't have a vacancy, they're going to be behind ATL, HOU, and DET in the process. Can they get the word out to candidates they're vetting? Sure. But what's stopping a guy like Marvin Lewis from taking the Houston job if offered it despite interest from other teams? That's what Ron Rivera did last year, and being that the Giants, Browns, and Cowboys didn't have vacancies, they weren't even able to make their pitches before Ron accepted Washington's offer. So while I would be relieved if that were the case for some candidates, my heart would be ripped out if we lost Matt Campbell to a team for a similar reason (thankfully, their bowl game is on Jan 2- a day before Gase is likely to be fired). 

May be confirmation bias on my part, but rings true RE living in NY/NJ. It's not just football coaches, it's everyone. Between COVID, taxes, expense and the sheer hassle, as a "big market" this is no longer viewed as a good place to be. And it stands to be viewed as even worse if the trends continue the way they're headed. Not a day goes by you don't hear of someone pulling up stakes and heading down south or out west. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

If the team does decide to "build around Sam"?  I will definitely take a long sabbatical away from this mess.  No way I'm going to watch another season being thrown away and spend my Sundays rooting for the other team because of a potential draft pick or desire to fire a HC.  Just takes its toll on a person.

JD, please don't do this.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What else does your crystal ball say?  Johnson making the hire, JD a puppet, no money, if you hire the wrong guy you'll never make the right hire?  Lewis would be the chef hire? LOL 

The only answer is the Jets have recognized that there’s a leadership void over the football operation and they need to do whatever it takes to bring on a program builder who can oversee every minute detail involved in building a team. Matt Campbell fits that bill. That’s your answer. People even considering Marvin Lewis are embarrassing themselves.

• Upvote 3

Good stuff here. Joe feels he failed Sam, he promised his parents he would protect him and get him weapons, he did a half ass job. JD is a man of his word I believe, I'm still in the fix Sam camp if no Trevor. Baker is better, Allen is better and it's all scheme and coaching, Gase is just that bad, he doesn't taylor offense to what he has in his players he puts square pegs in round holes. Draft Sewell and get a good back can get us track.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The only answer is the Jets have recognized that there’s a leadership void over the football operation and they need to do whatever it takes to bring on a program builder who can oversee every minute detail involved in building a team. Matt Campbell fits that bill. That’s your answer. People even considering Marvin Lewis are embarrassing themselves.

I don't think you know nearly as much about Matt Campbell and the Iowa State football program as you think you do.  But since his name has buzz and Marvin Lewis doesn't, Lewis is embarrassing.

Tell me about Matt Campbell.

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I don't think you know nearly as much about Matt Campbell and the Iowa State football program as you think you do.  But since his name has buzz and Marvin Lewis doesn't, Lewis is embarrassing.

Tell me about Matt Campbell.

Matt Campbell has built two programs who are traditionally not good at football and has won a lot of games. It doesnt necessarily have to be Campbell, but someone of that profile. It cannot be Marvin Lewis under any sort of circumstances.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the insight first and foremost!

I am actually warming to the idea of giving Sam Darnold another year.  There will be some decent veterans next year that can be brought in to push him.  At some point, you have to see what James Morgan has.  

If they can, trade down out of the #2 pick, fill a hole or two immediately with the surplus, and add some extra pieces through picks in the future.  Put a full team around Sam, and get him a REAL coach.  IF it works....great!  Remember, this was one of the highest-touted QB's this decade, and he fell to us.  But Mac gave him NOTHING, and Adam Gase is a (fill in the blank yourself).

If Sam puts it together....good for us!  If he doesn't, the team will be more solid for the guy you bring in after the 2022 draft.  And they will have the extra draft capital to move up in the draft to get the QB they will want.

• Upvote 2