Some news...for those who are interested...

Mogglez

6 hours ago, Lizard King said:

Marvin Lewis would be the most Jets move of all time. 

Marvin Lewis is the guy you bring in if your team locker room blows up due to Chinese sweat shop like work environment, cultural bias or hazing issues. He is the “healing” candidate due to his fatherly look the other way approach(see Burfict, Ocho and PacMan). Hard pass. 

All I want for the New Year is a creative HC/OC who constructs an offense for the 21st century.  and can make in-game adjustments to what the opposing defense throws at them. The exact opposite of AG.
SF, Balt. KC, NO, TB, GB type offenses that have the run/pass game to feed off one another and scheme players open with pre-snap motion and misdirection 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I don't think you know nearly as much about Matt Campbell and the Iowa State football program as you think you do.  But since his name has buzz and Marvin Lewis doesn't, Lewis is embarrassing.

Tell me about Matt Campbell.

I really want to hear what you have to say about Matt Campbell, actually.

@Mogglez I think if they hired Marvin Lewis I’m stepping away from this organization.  It’s basically a repeat of the Gase hire.  While Lewis had a better record, ultimately wasn’t a great HC in Cincy.  As bad as it is to say, maybe it’s just for the Rooney Rule.

As for the QB debacle, I’m for drafting Fields.  I think he has the tools, can’t go by the couple lackluster games this season, especially the NW game since it’s fresh in everyone’s minds.  

I was a Sam fan, until this season.  Was expecting a breakout, instead we all got more of the same - injuries, inconsistency and bad turnovers.  At this point I’m looking at the money aspect - I don’t want to pay Sam after this season; I don’t believe he deserves it.

What are the odds they keep Sam and draft a guy like Mac Jones or Kyle Trask at the end of round 1 or beginning of round 2?

Thanks for the info, keep it coming!

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The only answer is the Jets have recognized that there’s a leadership void over the football operation and they need to do whatever it takes to bring on a program builder who can oversee every minute detail involved in building a team. Matt Campbell fits that bill. That’s your answer. People even considering Marvin Lewis are embarrassing themselves.

Again, your opinion.  

JD has the job, lets see what he does before blaming Idzik, Macc and of course the obligatory inclusion of the owners.

18 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Marvin Lewis being a terrible hire is absolutely a fact.

Your opinion, not even close to being fact.

This was the same thing said when the Jets plan was Parcells to be followed up with Belichick.  Little Bill was going to be the worst hire ever.  

• Upvote 1

Hoping for a Jags win which would pretty much be a miracle but assuming we are picking 2nd I am going with Wilson. I think he has Rodgers like qualities and the big arm necessary to thrive in cold and windy weather. As for Darnold I think there is a good chance that he can be salvaged but I am a bit iffy on that and I think he will need a star coach like Shanahan or Payton to get it out of him.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Pennington said:

I appreciate the post but to me its damn depressing. I am not sure what I hate more between hiring Lewis or drafting Fields but I am walking away from this franchise if they draft Fields.

I might be with you on this.  The idea of watching this franchise piss away another 3-4 years going down the wrong road again might be too much for me to deal with after what I've witnessed the past 10 years.  Not that I won't still be a fan of the team but I might check out emotionally. 

Sewell I could live with. 

Trading down twice I could live with. 

But taking a QB who I think will set the franchise back again might be the final nail for me.  And if we add Marvin Lewis on top of that?!?!  I mean, I know he had to deal with some (at least seemingly) awful human beings in that locker room in Cincy and I think JD isn't going down that road.  So I guess it's possible a Marvin Lewis tenure could look a lot different here.  But the idea of a retread HC who hasn't won a playoff game in 16 years is where we're turning to couldn't be any more uninspiring.  I want no part of Eric Bienemy either, btw.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

"My guy is pretty certain that if the Jets don’t go QB, that they will either go Sewell and build around Sam for one more “do or die” season, or they will look to trade down." Is there another option? If they don't go QB they will either draft a player or trade down? Yea I would assume so LOL!

Love a good Moggles post, but this was sort of my takeaway.  It doesn't really say much this time.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I might be with you on this.  The idea of watching this franchise piss away another 3-4 years going down the wrong road again might be too much for me to deal with after what I've witnessed the past 10 years.  Not that I won't still be a fan of the team but I might check out emotionally. 

Sewell I could live with. 

Trading down twice I could live with. 

But taking a QB who I think will set the franchise back again might be the final nail for me.  And if we add Marvin Lewis on top of that?!?!  I mean, I know he had to deal with some (at least seemingly) awful human beings in that locker room in Cincy and I think JD isn't going down that road.  So I guess it's possible a Marvin Lewis tenure could look a lot different here.  But the idea of a retread HC who hasn't won a playoff game in 16 years is where we're turning to couldn't be any more uninspiring.  I want no part of Eric Bienemy either, btw.  

I can't imagine a more damaging scenario for this franchise than going from Lawrence to Fields.

• WTF? 1

28 minutes ago, Bugg said:

May be confirmation bias on my part, but rings true RE living in NY/NJ. It's not just football coaches, it's everyone. Between COVID, taxes, expense and the sheer hassle, as a "big market" this is no longer viewed as a good place to be. And it stands to be viewed as even worse if the trends continue the way they're headed. Not a day goes by you don't hear of someone pulling up stakes and heading down south or out west. 

I've been thinking about this quite a bit over this past year as well.  If I were a player there's absolutely no way I'd want New York anymore due to all the things you mentioned.  And they're probably all going to be amplified in the coming years (especially taxes).  I'd want somewhere like Florida, Texas or maybe Arizona.  

• Upvote 2

Now you know why Douglas didn't do what was necessary like forcing Gase to start Morgan to ensure Lawrence. This dope actually is ok with missing out on a franchise QB because he still believes in Darnold. The one chance this organization had to finally draft a franchise QB is most likely shot and nobody in the building seems to care.

• Upvote 1

Didn't realize you had an insider, Mogglez.  Thanks for the post and keep 'em coming!

Btw, the next time you talk to that person can you verify if the below is true.  In particular, would they even let Gase back into the building to clean out his office?

I'd rather someone from the team just put his sh*t in boxes and mail it to him.  That way, when we kick him in his arse on the way out the door, it will be the final time we ever have to see him again.

image.png.f818cfa465d5d30784e95472411712eb.png

• Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Matt Campbell has built two programs who are traditionally not good at football and has won a lot of games. It doesnt necessarily have to be Campbell, but someone of that profile. It cannot be Marvin Lewis under any sort of circumstances.

Tim Beckman was 14-2 in conference play in the 2 seasons proceeding Campbell at Toledo.  Crediting Campbell for building Toledo is silly.  Toledo is also not a perennial poor MAC program.  They have had several successful runs in the last 20 years.

Campbell has done a good job at Iowa State.  It just so happens to coincide with a time that the Big 12 is arguably the worst it's ever been.  That's not his issue though.  He's built Iowa State into a respectable program.  Iowa State has had other flare ups in the not distant past, but Campbell has probably had the most consistent run there. I just don't think most people understand how they have gone about it.  Iowa State is a running game, strong defense, Ball control program. Conservative.  Most people, maybe some that even think they want Campbell, usually scoff at that philosophy. They are the antithesis of everything the Big 12 is.  That's what Campbell is smart for. 

I just find it odd how Lewis gets no credit for building a culture or program in Cincinnati based on where they were before he got there.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Interesting stuff. Drafting Sewell and signing Thuney makes a lot of sense, especially if they hire Marvin Lewis. His Bengals teams were always pretty physical.

Also I said in another thread a few days ago that I believe Sam can be fixed. I don't see him being a lost cause like Sanchez was after the 2012 season. 

I know that wouldn't be the popular direction to go in, but I actually wouldn't hate it.

I can not believe we are actually considering Marvin Lewis. He is Gase 2.0

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

The thinking is if Sam can’t do it after that, you can still look for a QB next year in a class that, as of now, looks more “whole” than this years class.  Both guys also said to me that the league feeling is that, our boy, Maccagnan was a disaster of unparalleled proportions and Sam is far from “broken beyond repair”.

This is basically Mac passing on Watson and Mahomes for the more "whole" class of Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield. One of the upsides of the league still feeling good about Sam (which I definitely believe) is that with one last year left on his rookie deal, and fifth year option looming, this could easily be the last time he has any legitimate trade value. 

Instead of rolling with Sam or drafting a QB, has there been any talk of signing a vet to hold the fort? 

I don't hate the idea of drafting Sewell. Gives the team inexpensive bookends for four years. You can probably only resign one, though, so long term they'd be looking at trading one, or letting one walk and collecting the comp pick. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

Tim Beckman was 14-2 in conference play in the 2 seasons proceeding Campbell at Toledo.  Crediting Campbell for building Toledo is silly.  Toledo is also not a perennial poor MAC program.  They have had several successful runs in the last 20 years.

Campbell has done a good job at Iowa State.  It just so happens to coincide with a time that the Big 12 is arguably the worst it's ever been.  That's not his issue though.  He's built Iowa State into a respectable program.  Iowa State has had other flare ups in the not distant past, but Campbell has probably had the most consistent run there. I just don't think most people understand how they have gone about it.  Iowa State is a running game, strong defense, Ball control program.  Most people, maybe some that even think they want Campbell, usually scoff at that philosophy. They are the antithesis of everything the Big 12 is.  That's what Campbell is smart for. 

I just find it odd how Lewis gets no credit for building a culture or program in Cincinnati based on where they were before he got there.  

Lewis didn’t run the drafts with the Bengals. As their drafts got poorer they totally collapsed. He had a ton of talent earlier on there and won zero playoff games.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I expect Thuney to be a high priority FA.  Many within the organization were gutted when New England, essentially, blocked him from coming here.  Add him and Sewell and, man, you are building something special.

Throw in A-Rob (if possible) and you really have created a real offense, regardless of who else we draft.  But really, the most important piece, BY FAR, will be the new coaching staff.

3 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Thanks Mogglez.

This board predominately ridicules Marvin Lewis, thinks Sam Darnold sucks, and loves Justin Fields. 

This would be so Jetsey. 

It reeks of "Obviously, the Jets know something that the people up here don't."

Somebody, based on 16 years teetering between mediocrity and suck, is going to try sell Marvin Lewis. Again, give me the big selling point that you can draw based on that very big sample of terrible. And who will be the Pacman Jones and Vontez Burficit here under a Lewis regime? That's a "leader of men"? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I said this when Jeremiah first mentioned Lewis name, and I won't waiver.  Marvin Lewis is a better coach than most people credit him for.  He made the Bengals a solid club for a decade and did it with Andy Dalton at QB for a good portion.  He's probably not my 1st choice, but he shouldn't be a doom and gloom candidate either.  The fact that he's been in the college game for a few years now probably gives him a bit of a fresh outlook too.

If you start piecing this info together, Darnold staying, building up the OL, Lewis actually seems like a reasonable fit, as that seems very similar to his recipe in Cincinnati.

We should take a guy who developed a QB into a stud. That would be Daboll. 

• Upvote 2

Just how is Marvin Lewis, a coach that was part of an org that was fine obtaining and drafting lots of bad character types, going to get along with Douglas?

I'd be pretty upset with that hire.

Oh yeah, Gase should have been fired at the bye week at the latest. (for the hundredth time)

• Upvote 2

This is an incredible post - thanks @Mogglez

Not trying to be a dick here, as it seems everyone has agreed you've been a reliable source of information, but can anyone point me to a few other posts where Mogglez has proven his sources are legit? I seem to be out of the loop, but everyone vouching for your track record has made me optimistic albeit some of the news I find personally disappointing (not a Lewis or Fields fan). 

So yea, if anyone could shoot me a link or two on past posts would appreciate it, obviously no one owes me sh*t, but think a lot of people unfamiliar with Mogglez past would appreciate it. 

Great post regardless. 

• Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I really want to hear what you have to say about Matt Campbell, actually.

See above in my response.  The short version is I do think he's a good coach.  I think it's a bit overblown how good, but he is a good coach.  That said, if anyone is against say Pat Fitzgerald because of the style of his teams, they should be against Campbell.  Fitzgerald is a better coach than Campbell.  

• Upvote 1

From what I was told, they’re still going to swing for the fences with Matt Campbell

This is good news... While it may not happen, it proves that JD has his head on straight.

Ideally, JD, as much as he loves Sewell, wants other players at premium positions to blow up from now until draft day, trade down, and get as much high end talent as possible to build a complete team.

Hence the whole trade down idea, that I truly believe JD will look at. For those of you that thumbsdown this idea. We have a football man in charge of this team that knows what it's going to take to build a team that is SUSTAINABLE. The more picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft we have in the next 2 years worth of draft, the better off we'll be

@Mogglez thanks as always for the great info.

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Now you know why Douglas didn't do what was necessary like forcing Gase to start Morgan to ensure Lawrence. This dope actually is ok with missing out on a franchise QB because he still believes in Darnold. The one chance this organization had to finally draft a franchise QB is most likely shot and nobody in the building seems to care.

JD doesn't have the clout to force Gase to do anything.  Gase is the alfa here.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Great stuff! As for the Darnold vs. Fields / Wilson debate:

- Trading down from 2 will net you far more than just trade Darnold.

- If the long-term projection of Darnold/Fields/Wilson is similar then I fully expect us to run it back with Sam.

- There is so much less risk with the 1 year left with Darnold vs swinging for the fences on Fields or Wilson. 

- What the new HC thinks is going to be huge, but if Douglas has a strong opinion about what to do with Darnold, does that factor into who he ultimately hires?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Campbell has done a good job at Iowa State.  It just so happens to coincide with a time that the Big 12 is arguably the worst it's ever been.  That's not his issue though.  He's built Iowa State into a respectable program.  Iowa State has had other flare ups in the not distant past, but Campbell has probably had the most consistent run there. I just don't think most people understand how they have gone about it.  Iowa State is a running game, strong defense, Ball control program.  Most people, maybe some that even think they want Campbell, usually scoff at that philosophy. They are the antithesis of everything the Big 12 is.  That's what Campbell is smart for. 

Hmmm....sounds like Pat Fitzgerald, who many don't want any part of.  Question for you.....the Hawkeye's C, who was 1st team all Big10, what do you think of him? He's only a Soph, right? Is he draft eligible?