Some news...for those who are interested...

Mogglez

2 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

I disagree. His plan would clearly be building the foundation and adding THE QB the next year or year after. He has a 6 year contract. He has a longer view to this - and if the jets are competing for a championship in 3-4 years, what Fields and Wilson are doing will be largely irrelevant.

I see your points but again i disagree.  Gms are graded on finding and developing qbs.  Gms don’t get fired if they draft a good qb and build around him.  They could get fired if they pass up good qbs like mccagnan, who didn’t draft Watson, mahomes or josh allen.  How mad are we all for this still?  How pisssed off would you all be if douglas traded back and then the 49ers take Wilson and he becomes an instant hit there while darnold still looks bewildered?  Do we really want to be sitting here a year from now wondering if/when Douglas will draft his own qb to be our savior?   I don’t care what his contract says, if he doesn’t fix the qb position his job security will be tenuous.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

I disagree. His plan would clearly be building the foundation and adding THE QB the next year or year after. He has a 6 year contract. He has a longer view to this - and if the jets are competing for a championship in 3-4 years, what Fields and Wilson are doing will be largely irrelevant.

But if he builds the foundation and sticks with Sam as most now want , this probably means the team ends up mid-pack with ceiling being a 8-9 win team and floor being a , 3-13 , 4-12 team . This makes drafting a FQB much more difficult going forward , moving up from the middle of draft to a spot near the top of the draft makes it cost and asset prohibitive. This may also mean Sam gets extended and puts us into purgatory for another 4-5 seasons otherwise your taking a real gamble with a low rated QB , much lower than what Fields or Wilson were this year, 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Douglas likes draft picks, we see this.  If he trades back from 2 and gets more picks he’d be setting up the team to draft a qb in 2022 but he’d take crap if fields or Wilson is good and darnold sucks again.  I don’t think darnold will ‘be salvaged’.  He can play better with a better coach and supporting cast but i don’t see top 10 or even top 15.  

Every year there seems to be these QBs rising & it seems already we have like 6 QBs taken in the top 20? I don't see it! After Trevor Lawrence the only teams taking 1st round QBs are teams with new coaching staffs. Total resets where the fan bases are OK with long term planning. 

The New York Jets might go 1-15, 1-15! This can't be a Cleveland Browns 2 year span in this town of going 2-30 starting ANOTHER rookie QB! Payton Manning & Troy Aikman had terrible records their 1st year in the NFL & these guys were SURE FIRE NUMBER ONE QBs, and coming off a 1-15 year, fans are advocating for taking Zack Wilson at #2 & starting him? If anything JD might take a QB at Seattles pick, keep Darnold & sit the youngster with Morgan & groom both & let the chips fall where they may. 

58 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I have a hard time getting behind Lewis, I don't see Campbell coming out of college for us when he's turned down the NFL multiple times. Daboll is the guy I want.

- Weaken a division rival

- 5 Super Bowls & 1 NCAA National Championship

- Has been with the Jets in the past

- Basically looks like Douglas' twin

LOL.

The other part about Daboll is it hurts a division opponent. It hurts the division winner.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Legitimately nothing else matters. If that comes close to being true things will get better here in a hurry.

Hard to buy this when they let Lawrence slip away. If Douglas wants Darnold back, that is also a problem. The conflict of interest with the agent is certainly in play here it seems too.

• Upvote 1

First let me thank you for this post but i would like to adress some points.

1. Marvin Lewis? The gut punches keep coming.

2. For the league being so high in Darnold? Wow those guys even watch tape? I mean If they view him so high you maybe could get a late first for him like some reports mentioned before, 3 First rounders would be a great placa to get this team back in track.

3. Penei Sewell, yes would be great to get another stud tackle to build a dominant offensive line but QB is still the most important position in football and Sam Darnold is a liabillity. You may look at the 2023 Draft for qbs as I am not sold on any of the 2022 qbs. But how longe would JD keep his job if the qb position is still a mess?

4. As for Justin Fields, I've been very hard on him, but, looking at Josh Allen I think anything is possible you just need a coach that will give him a chance to be great. A 50% career passer at Wyoming turned into a all star? Big props to the GM and coach. So if the Jets decide to go the Fields route im still confident that JD will put him in the best position to ball.

5. Zach Wilson, he will be a riser and I would not exclude him from the Jets, he's my QB2 and would take probably Justin Fields tearing up the cfb playoffs to change my mind.

6. Trade down and build around Sam, i've been done with Sam for 2 season now and I would hate to see him under center for another season, he just don't pass the eye test. There are other ways to build a team, but to me It all starts with the QB.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pennington said:

Now you know why Douglas didn't do what was necessary like forcing Gase to start Morgan to ensure Lawrence. This dope actually is ok with missing out on a franchise QB because he still believes in Darnold. The one chance this organization had to finally draft a franchise QB is most likely shot and nobody in the building seems to care.

Because that isn’t how the NFL works?

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I see your points but again i disagree.  Gms are graded on finding and developing qbs.  Gms don’t get fired if they draft a good qb and build around him.  They could get fired if they pass up good qbs like mccagnan, who didn’t draft Watson, mahomes or josh allen.  How mad are we all for this still?  How pisssed off would you all be if douglas traded back and then the 49ers take Wilson and he becomes an instant hit there while darnold still looks bewildered?  Do we really want to be sitting here a year from now wondering if/when Douglas will draft his own qb to be our savior?   I don’t care what his contract says, if he doesn’t fix the qb position his job security will be tenuous.

GMs are graded by the success of the franchise they run, not if they have a star at the QB position. 

PS: The guy that actually drafted Watson was fired this year.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, heymangold said:

You’re probably right on the franchise tag aspect.  You wouldn’t give up Seattle’s 1st for dak?  If you aren’t comfortable with fields or wilson, he’s your guy.  5k passing yards is something I’d like to see in Ny.

Now your talking! But don't you have to give up two #1s for a franchise tagged player? Sign Thuney- Lindsey- Robinson- Dupree. Take Sewell, trade for Dak with Seattle pick, draft Najee Harris & roll with a veteran offense with a stud RB & kick azz Oline where Dak would feel like a rookie again but with better WRs! Allen Robinson- Denzel Mims- Crowder. 

Maybe add Eifert at TE! THIS would jump you right into instant competing in the AFC East!

Just now, Jetster said:

Now your talking! But don't you have to give up two #1s for a franchise tagged player? Sign Thuney- Lindsey- Robinson- Dupree. Take Sewell, trade for Dak with Seattle pick, draft Najee Harris & roll with a veteran offense with a stud RB & kick azz Oline where Dak would feel like a rookie again but with better WRs! Allen Robinson- Denzel Mims- Crowder. 

Maybe add Eifert at TE! THIS would jump you right into instant competing in the AFC East!

Zach Ertz at TE 

18 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

But if he builds the foundation and sticks with Sam as most now want , this probably means the team ends up mid-pack with ceiling being a 8-9 win team and floor being a , 3-13 , 4-12 team . This makes drafting a FQB much more difficult going forward , moving up from the middle of draft to a spot near the top of the draft makes it cost and asset prohibitive. This may also mean Sam gets extended and puts us into purgatory for another 4-5 seasons otherwise your taking a real gamble with a low rated QB , much lower than what Fields or Wilson were this year, 

The Chiefs drafted Mahomes. The Ravens drafted Lamar. An ascending Bills team drafted Josh Allen.

We can win a championship with the right QB. That guy may be drafted or may be signed. Or maybe he is already on the roster.

I just feel more comfortable building a team and then adding the QB as one of the final pieces rather than what we just attempted with Sam. 

Afterall, look how far we got with Mark Sanchez.  Or Vinny Testaverde for that matter.  Let's build it first. It seems to be working for the Titans.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

You roll the dice with Wilson. Strong arm, rising, has impressed many eg. Steve Young. You have to get a QB. Macc waited way to long to draft one and made stupid decisions drafting Hackenburg and gave up 3 #2 picks for Darnold. That’s 4 #2 picks & a #1 wasted. You trade Darnold. Get what you can now. We have all seen enough. Darnold will never be more that a Philip Rivers clone at best. You hire a NEW HC who understands how offense works now in NFL like Brady or Arthur Smith. You don’t try and get cute with a retread like Marvin Lewis who was a lousy school teacher with the Bengals. We need a disciplinarian. Matt Campbell. Period. A guy who can build a house with toothpicks.  Hire him and let them both figure out what to do with the QB situation. If we don’t get Trevor, the job is still an attractive one since we have cap space and draft picks. In 2 years we can be a decent team on the upswing if they hit on targeted parts. 

Yup, totally agree. Any draft pick is going to come with a set of risks. You can’t let fear rule the day. If the Jets scouts see Wilson, Fields, Lance, or whoever as a potential franchise QB, that should be the pick. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Legitimately nothing else matters. If that comes close to being true things will get better here in a hurry.

In a hurry starting when? Also, and I do apologize for this because I recognize that you've been having a rash of people doing this die on a weird hill schtick lately, but why doesn't anybody care that a guy who makes 3M is derping ever closer to giving 100M to a guy with whom he shares an agent? Joe Douglas and Sam Darnold do this to make money. Money that is likely considered by the Johnsons to be of the money which has to be spent to keep the doors open. So they too can make money. People not being happy with the arrangement is supposed to be the check on the individual incentives.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Perhaps, but i wouldn’t bet my career on darnold becoming a quality starter, for the jets or elsewhere.  There are but few instances where qbs suck their first 3 years and really turn it around to become decent, let alone good.  And most years there’s a qb who is drafted who becomes decent or good.  Odds favor taking the new qb.

I actually think that Darnold could work out but he needs a change of scenery. With that in mind once we were clearly a bottom feeder Douglas should have forced Morgan as the starter to ensure 0-16 and Lawrence. Rarely do you have a chance at a prospect this good and we screwed it up.

The Chiefs drafted Mahomes. The Ravens drafted Lamar. An ascending Bills team drafted Josh Allen.

We can win a championship with the right QB. That guy may be drafted or may be signed. Or maybe he is already on the roster.

I just feel more comfortable building a team and then adding the QB as one of the final pieces rather than what we just attempted with Sam. 

Aftercall, look how far we got with Mark Sanchez.  Or Vinny Testaverde for that matter.  Let's build it first. It seems to be working for the Titans.

Sam Darnold could be Ryan Tannehill once AG is removed from the equation. 

AG has admitted he failed Sam Darnold he must be fired. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If they pick Wilson i'm taking my ball and going home - wah wah wah . In all seriousness I'm ok with Fields or Wilson but much rather Fields.

Fields is a less talented Geno Smith. If he is the QB it will give me the excuse to finally walk away from these losers.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I was unaware of that - if I had to give up multiple 1s I probably wouldn’t be trading for him.  But the idea of Dak, Najee, Robinson/Mims/Crowder and say Freirmuth would be a legit offense, with Becton, Sewell and Thuney on the o-line is boner inducing.

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sam Darnold could be Ryan Tannehill once AG is removed from the equation. 

AG has admitted he failed Sam Darnold he must be fired. 

As the OP said, the league - and JD - are much higher on Sam than the fanbase. If you trust JD to build the team you have to trust him on what he thinks about the QB.

And that doesn't mean Sam doesn't have to compete for his job.  He should compete like everyone else and I'm sure they will hedge in case he really does suck as badly as some on this board think.

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

To avoid making a long post even longer and making a longer introduction, many of you know that I have a source within the organization.  Many here can confirm this.  My source and I have been discussing the Jets since Sunday and where they go from here and he dropped some tidbits on me that I’ve had confirmed to me by a second, more prominent, source and am now ready to share with all of you as I’ve been given the “ok”...so here we go:

My guy is pretty certain that if the Jets don’t go QB, that they will either go Sewell and build around Sam for one more “do or die” season, or they will look to trade down.  However, JD really loves Sewell and a trade may be hard to pull off (although this was all discussed before Cincinnati won and dropped themselves in the draft, so that could change given how much the Bengals want and, quite frankly, need him).  I was also told that Zach Wilson is likely a long shot to be the selection and Douglas, if he goes QB, is more likely to go Fields.  The team is high on Justin.  There is, obviously, still a ton of work to be done however.

The most disheartening news that he spilled though is yes, for those who have been keeping tabs on what I said in another thread earlier, there are legitimate rumblings that Marvin Lewis might get a serious look at Head Coach.  

this all tracks with JD's/Jets previous behavior 

The Jets scouting have a certain institutional bias toward Ohio State for many many years and even tho GM's come and go the idea they would like Fields more than Wilson absolutely sounds like a Jets opinion to have 

JD is a former lineman he would dream about forming a superunit with Sewell/Becton more than pinning his hopes on QB2 at 2 that's also a very JD thing to have happen 

and watching Fields/Wilson,  I'm not convinced either is better/more of a sure thing than year 4 Sam

so I guess all of this is to say thanks Mogglez for the post it was enjoyable and appears to pass the BS test 

• Upvote 2

Aftercall, look how far we got with Mark Sanchez.  Or Vinny Testaverde for that matter.  Let's build it first. It seems to be working for the Titans.

But remember what happened after those wild spending sprees and the bloated contracts came to bear.  If you are going to go that route you better get there otherwise the landing is quite hard. I think you need a QB, Mahomes and Allen were drafted top 10 so in my mind they fit the draft it now approach . Lamar Jackson would be an example of taking a lower rated guy and plugging him into a ready made team.

6 minutes ago, Pennington said:

I actually think that Darnold could work out be he needs a change of scenery. With that in mind once we were clearly a bottom feeder Douglas should have forced Morgan as the starter to ensure 0-16 and Lawrence. Rarely do you have a chance at a prospect this good and we screwed it up.

Who's to say Morgan wouldn't have performed better , hell even Joe Flacco did.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I have a hard time getting behind Lewis, I don't see Campbell coming out of college for us when he's turned down the NFL multiple times. Daboll is the guy I want.

- Weaken a division rival

- 5 Super Bowls & 1 NCAA National Championship

- Has been with the Jets in the past

- Basically looks like Douglas' twin

Now any other selection would be just wrong. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

This is basically Mac passing on Watson and Mahomes for the more "whole" class of Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield. One of the upsides of the league still feeling good about Sam (which I definitely believe) is that with one last year left on his rookie deal, and fifth year option looming, this could easily be the last time he has any legitimate trade value. 

Instead of rolling with Sam or drafting a QB, has there been any talk of signing a vet to hold the fort? 

I don't hate the idea of drafting Sewell. Gives the team inexpensive bookends for four years. You can probably only resign one, though, so long term they'd be looking at trading one, or letting one walk and collecting the comp pick. 

You could jettison Sam, get picks or a second round caliber player and start Morgan. I literally see no difference at this point. If there was downside to speak of, you could make the case that you’d be sacrificing x amount of potential wins. But there are no wins. So there’s a baked in floor that literally can’t get any lower. In summary, can Sam, start Morgan. 

23 minutes ago, Maxman said:

See below 

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Hard to buy this when they let Lawrence slip away. If Douglas wants Darnold back, that is also a problem. The conflict of interest with the agent is certainly in play here it seems too.

In an environment where ownership “sits in” but the GM makes the final call, he’s not making the final call. Ownership needs to be out golfing with cellphone jamming equipment when JD is making personnel decisions. 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Some reeeeally great stuff here that I can certainly backup based on what I’ve heard.

Some notes:

•  If Pat Fitzgerald takes any job, I believe it will be Chicago.  I’m not holding my breath that he comes here.  Honestly, I’m ok with this.  I do have concerns with him and his offensive philosophy.

•  You nailed it on the JD-Sam dynamic.  He loves the kid.  A while back (off-season) I felt that I had been wrong about that because of how little he spent on certain positions, but I was assured that this was more to do with the fact that the landscape of Douglas’s FA plan changed with missing out on Thuney.  Adding more to the Sam discussion, yeah, the fact that JD could be fired if he jumps the gun on  a prospect is huge, as you said.

•  Campbell.  I hope they can land him.  Nothing was guaranteed, even with Lawrence, but there is definitely a chance.  I’m hoping...and I mean hoping...JD can land him.

•  Even with our reputation, I think there is still some situations we are better than (DET and Houston).  Yes you get Watson, but the cupboard is very bare there and the GM situation is an absolute nightmare.  ATL is the one that scares me a little bit, believe it or not. 

•  I haven’t heard much about the positional coaching issue, however, I can admit, we haven’t discussed it much yet as the HC situation is still unresolved.  A guy like Marvin certainly helps you there if that’s the case.  Definitely makes the interest seem a lot more reasonable.

•  Ive been saying for a year now that Harbaugh and JD wouldn’t be a good match for the exact reason you stated.  Feels great to finally have someone agree with me on that.

•  I’ve had it stressed to me that this ship will 125% be steered by Joe Douglas.  Ownership will absolutely sit in, but the decision will, ultimately, be his.  That makes me feel a lot better.

If I’m running $190 million of my boss’s money and he’s sitting in on my decision process, I’m not running a quarter of that. 

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

But remember what happened after those wild spending sprees and the bloated contracts came to bear.  If you are going to go that route you better get there otherwise the landing is quite hard. I think you need a QB, Mahomes and Allen were drafted top 10 so in my mind they fit the draft it now approach . Lamar Jackson would be an example of taking a lower rated guy and plugging him into a ready made team.

If Sam is as bad as you think, the Jets will be drafting in the Top half of the draft next year anyway. With 2 1st Round picks they can trade up and get someone they want.

The beautiful thing about the draft is that they have them every year.

And not for nothing, do you really want to take a flyer on someone like Justin Fields in a season like this? Player assessment is difficult in the age of Covid. Will they even have the combine? More risk than usual tied to the draft this year.

I just don't see the hurry.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

Please. Lewis didn't alienate players, and had a solid record despite working for a team with arguably worse ownership than ours. And he did it with Andy Friggin' Dalton as his QB.

He isn't my first choice, but I would be ok with it if they hired him.

As far as taking Sewell goes, if that happens there's nothing saying they can't take Kyle Trask late in the first or early in the second to groom for the job while giving Sam one last chance to prove himself.

I don't see the point of taking a project at QB which is what I think Trask is. If we want a QB, take Fields or Wilson, whichever guy the Jets rate higher. We would be in no worse situation. If we fi D ourselves in the top 15 again if Sam ? the bed and taking a QB next season. 

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

If Sam is as bad as you think, the Jets will be drafting in the Top half of the draft next year anyway. With 2 1st Round picks they can trade up and get someone they want.

The beautiful thing about the draft is that they have them every year.

And not for nothing, do you really want to take a flyer on someone like Justin Fields in a season like this? Player assessment is difficult in the age of Covid. Will they even have the combine? More risk than usual tied to the draft this year.

I just don't see the hurry.

Draft a QB until you find a QB. Darnold is not the guy and under no circumstances should he be starting for the Jets next season.