Some news...for those who are interested...

Mogglez

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

If Sam is as bad as you think, the Jets will be drafting in the Top half of the draft next year anyway. With 2 1st Round picks they can trade up and get someone they want.

The beautiful thing about the draft is that they have them every year.

And not for nothing, do you really want to take a flyer on someone like Justin Fields in a season like this? Player assessment is difficult in the age of Covid. Will they even have the combine? More risk than usual tied to the draft this year.

I just don't see the hurry.

With all the picks and cap space this season and even with keeping Sam I'd feel pretty confident the Jets would be picking in the low teens. 

So then your throwing in multiple picks for the "potential" at getting a good QB .

Player assessment isn't really all that different , they still have game film on players , they still have interviews either remote or in person. And IMO the combine outside of the interviews is really about  the fringe guys looking to get noticed. 

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Finally, a thread worth reading. *kisses* @Mogglez

Biggest takeway for me personally; JD getting full GM powers - something i assumed was destined, but thank god nonetheless.

Not a popular take, but i'm OK giving Sam another year with JD building the roster. Worst case scenario, Sam is irreparable and the next guy slides into a "ready to go" driver seat of a franchise. I don't love anyone else past TL

But who is the next guy?

Just now, maury77 said:

How is Fields a less talented Geno Smith?

Geno was a better college QB than Fields. The difference between them is Geno played at WVU and Fields is playing with a bunch of pros. I can't think of a bigger disaster for this franchise than ending up with Fields after winning a meaningless game.

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

But who is the next guy?

Dunno, we fcked ourselves real by blowing one of the best 3-4 year windows of QB collegiate prospects. 

I do know that no matter how badly we need a QB, it won't turn average prospects into great ones. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the sccop @Mogglez.

I'm trying to remain Zen.  What will be, will be.  I may not like all the moves, all the decisions, but I cannot control them, so I will not invest in them before they are made.

I have my beliefs as to the way to build a consistently competitive Championship calibut team.  Trenches above all else (Oline!), elite drafted Skill players on O, and ultimately a control-type QB who doesn't turn the ball over and can complete at 68-72% of his passes consistently.  A solid Defense but not over-invested cap wise.  Defense is secondary to Offense.  I believe you invest your real capital in Offense and scoring.  Talent all around.  A great red-zone and possession/mismatch TE is > than a great "edge" in my world (yes I know to most here that is blasphemy).  IMO that IS the modern NFL, scoring > all else.

So I like the idea JD likes Sewell.  It's in line with my thinking and priorities.  I'd like to see it followed up with an elite playmaking RB and another young WR to pair with Mims, Crowder and whomever we may get in FA at WR (presume Perriman is gone).  And I'd even go so far as to say our 3rd round pick needs to be the best Center available (I said that last year too, and I was right!).

Sure, Darnold odds are low that he can be my kind of guy, and I said that from the start.  He's inaccurate and turns it over far too much.  But I'm not overpaying for the 2B type QB's out of desperation.  If we must, sign a control type QB to be the #3 behind Darnold and (I hope!) Morgan as the #2.  I REALLY want to see Morgan in preseason and am very disappointed that we played the old Raven and not Morgan when Darnold was down.  I don't care if he's "ready" by Gase standards, that is the worst most overused excuse in all the NFL for playing old men cashing checks.  

So as I keep saying, we'll see.  Try and stay optimistic, we have alot of cap, alot of draft capital, and generally JD's draft was ok.  Alot of ??? in those midrounds still, no doubt, but again, we'll see, post-Gase.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

With Stafford, and 2 first round picks and an early 2nd, and free agency, we can compete in the AFCE.

This is like the twilight zone episode where the guy ends up in the future and finds gold in the desert and refuses to let it go. Aimlessly walking through the desert, drops dead and his body is then found. They are perplexed why he was walking around with this useless metal since gold now has zero value. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

This is like the twilight zone episode where the guy ends up in the future and finds gold in the desert and refuses to let it go. Aimlessly walking through the desert, drops dead and his body is then found. They are perplexed why he was walking around with this useless metal since gold now has zero value. 

Can someone who this makes sense to, help me out here.

• Haha 2

IMO the best news out of the whole report is that Douglas will be 125% in charge.      Just having a genuine football guy in charge can only go good places.

I have no doubt that @Mogglez info  at this point is genuine, but as he said, it's early, and likely to change.. 

Fields has his Super Bowl coming up on Jan 1.  Millions of dollars are at stake for him.  IMO he came into the season as the clear #2 QB.  Guy undoubtedly has some excellent skills.  He hasn't played up to that in the last month or so, and Wilson has exploded unto the scene.  Myself, I'm very impressed with Wilson.

Fields needs a big showing against Clemson, and of course the interview process for a QB is mega. Ask Geno Smith about that.   From what I have heard Wilson is going to interview great.  In all honesty I don't know enough about Fields to have any knowledge how he is going to present himself.

Was a bit disappointed to hear that Douglas is still very high on Darnold.  I don't hate Sam, but really think it is best for everyone if he moves on.  If he starts off bad again next year, the fans are going to destroy him.  Jets fans can be really harsh on their own players who have fallen from grace.  Especially QB's. 

Besides Douglas' rep in the league,  the QB situation is going to be the biggest draw in getting their first choice for HC.  In order to bring in a good HC, with several options, he and Douglas are going to have to be on the same page as to who the QB will be.  Otherwise they are just going to wind up with another guy who will take the first job offered. I'm hoping that this Darnold info is being leaked to raise any value Sam may have in the league for a trade.   We'll see.

Thanks @Mogglez  for a great thread, and fun info.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Thanks for the sccop @Mogglez.

I'm trying to remain Zen.  What will be, will be.  I may not like all the moves, all the decisions, but I cannot control them, so I will not invest in them before they are made.

I have my beliefs as to the way to build a consistently competitive Championship calibut team.  Trenches above all else (Oline!), elite drafted Skill players on O, and ultimately a control-type QB who doesn't turn the ball over and can complete at 68-72% of his passes consistently.  A solid Defense but not over-invested cap wise.  Defense is secondary to Offense.  I believe you invest your real capital in Offense and scoring.  Talent all around.  A great red-zone and possession/mismatch TE is > than a great "edge" in my world (yes I know to most here that is blasphemy).  IMO that IS the modern NFL, scoring > all else.

So I like the idea JD likes Sewell.  It's in line with my thinking and priorities.  I'd like to see it followed up with an elite playmaking RB and another young WR to pair with Mims, Crowder and whomever we may get in FA at WR (presume Perriman is gone).  And I'd even go so far as to say our 3rd round pick needs to be the best Center available (I said that last year too, and I was right!).

Sure, Darnold odds are low that he can be my kind of guy, and I said that from the start.  He's inaccurate and turns it over far too much.  But I'm not overpaying for the 2B type QB's out of desperation.  If we must, sign a control type QB to be the #3 behind Darnold and (I hope!) Morgan as the #2.  I REALLY want to see Morgan in preseason and am very disappointed that we played the old Raven and not Morgan when Darnold was down.  I don't care if he's "ready" by Gase standards, that is the worst most overused excuse in all the NFL for playing old men cashing checks.  

So as I keep saying, we'll see.  Try and stay optimistic, we have alot of cap, alot of draft capital, and generally JD's draft was ok.  Alot of ??? in those midrounds still, no doubt, but again, we'll see, post-Gase.  

Agree with your theory on team building, agree that I'm not interested in the 2B options @ QB and agree that offense should be the priority - especially with adding a receiving target and RB at the bottom of the first/early second. 

Everyone's down on Darnold, myself included, but I can't help but think he's been in the worst situation in the sport and I'm willing to give it another year with a new coach and a better offensive roster around him. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Geno was a better college QB than Fields. The difference between them is Geno played at WVU and Fields is playing with a bunch of pros. I can't think of a bigger disaster for this franchise than ending up with Fields after winning a meaningless game.

Geno had great numbers at WVU so you could make this pointless statement about lots of successful NFL QBs.  
I can see lots of reasons why someone would draft Fields.  
Im just not going to repeat myself 100 times to try and prove it while saying nothing

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Some reeeeally great stuff here that I can certainly backup based on what I’ve heard.

•  I’ve had it stressed to me that this ship will 125% be steered by Joe Douglas.  Ownership will absolutely sit in, but the decision will, ultimately, be his.  That makes me feel a lot better.

WOW Best Christmas since the last GM that was allowed to pick his HC. When was that?

31 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Geno Smith was throwing to Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey, 2 guys that played in the pros. Additionally, if you actually watched tape of the 2, you would never make that analogy.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Geno Smith was throwing to Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey, 2 guys that played in the pros. Additionally, if you actually watched tape of the 2, you would never make that analogy.

I watched plenty of Geno at WVU as well as Fields at OSU and I didnt like either of them. I'm not placing my teams future on a guy that was owned by Northwestern who may have one or two pros on the roster.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Finally, a thread worth reading. *kisses* @Mogglez

Biggest takeway for me personally; JD getting full GM powers - something i assumed was destined, but thank god nonetheless.

Not a popular take, but i'm OK giving Sam another year with JD building the roster. Worst case scenario, Sam is irreparable and the next guy slides into a "ready to go" driver seat of a franchise. I don't love anyone else past TL

Track record of the best QBs in the league would suggest adding the QB after the roster is built is the better route than adding the QB first as well. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

If we were to draft a QB at 2 it would be a massive disappointment when compared to Lawrence. Usually a QB in the first round comes with optimism, hope and excitement. Because of this, Douglas will opt to trade down, build the team and if Sam Darnold isn't great so what find a new QB later. This is the most likely course he takes. If he had only 2 years left on his contract I could see him going for the shiny new QB. Four years left gives him the luxury to push off on the QB while trying to improve every other position. It will be boring and painful but that is the life of being a Jets fan.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I don’t think he’s a terrible coach, and I understand that Lewis is a respectable guy, but man we’ll be the laughing stock of the league if we hire him.

I couldn't disagree more. Don't take this as an endorsement of Lewis as the Jets next head coach, but he brings immediate respectability. He would get the Jets to at least middle of the pack, and possibly a contender for a playoff spot. His record in the playoffs is awful, but the key word here is playoffs. Again, I don't want him, but I am not going to lose sleep if the Jets hire him.