Trent Dilfer "Justin Fields is also a generational talent."

Jetsbb

Just now, JiF said:

Strange.  It's almost like I've heard this before somewhere once or twice.  I'm not sure where but I swear I've heard a very similar take.  

hhmmmmmmm

I wonder if Trent has heard about Zach Wilson? 

In another few weeks we will have 3 “generational” QBs in the same draft.  Historic I tell ya!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

In another few weeks we will have 3 “generational” QBs in the same draft.  Historic I tell ya!

I can hear the takes now; if you were to do a blind taste test of the QB's in this draft, they'd all taste exactly the same and you couldnt tell the QB's apart.  3 teams are very lucky, their future is about to be called to the podium (virtual or not), the league just got so much better with these 3 generational talent all entering the league at the same time.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

Strange.  It's almost like I've heard this before somewhere once or twice.  I'm not sure where but I swear I've heard a very similar take.  

hhmmmmmmm

I wonder if Trent has heard about Zach Wilson? 

A couple of us have.

I had to, my son was on the ledge, close to the edge

at this point it's all up to douglas to make the right decision.  i don't want a running qb.  they need to have good ability to avoid the pass rush and throw on the run but a guy who wants to take off running on every play isn't going to work.  fields might be the right guy.  the jets could play him much like the doltfins did with tua.  bring him in after 6 or so games.  but that could work with any qb they select.

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

I can hear the takes now; if you were to do a blind taste test of the QB's in this draft, they'd all taste exactly the same and you couldnt tell the QB's apart.  3 teams are very lucky, their future is about to be called to the podium (virtual or not), the league just got so much better with these 3 generational talent all entering the league at the same time.

It’s going to be so nauseating for the next 6 months.  

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Simply from a tools stand point I don't see how anyone could really say otherwise.  The ultimate difference between the two is perceived intangibles and mental capacity for the position.  I don't know how anyone can be certain anyone is generational on those last 2 aspects.

Completely agree.

I think when they say generational talent, thats kind of what it means - his physical ability is not something we see in every draft. Fields and Lawrence have size, arm, speed combinations that are pretty rare.

Now, that doesnt mean fields can be a good NFL QB as the job is more cerebral then physical in the NFL which is why its so hard to project the position.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The term generational must have changed meanings in the last few years because it clearly doesn’t mean what it used to.  

Definitely. There’s 1-2 generational talents every year. 

Similar to how the term “genius” is thrown around for coaches. Trust me, there are no geniuses associated with a game built around running into each other at full speed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

The term generational must have changed meanings in the last few years because it clearly doesn’t mean what it used to.  

Right! In the famed 1986 draft class for all that they put on tape in college neither Marino nor Kelly were considered even close to generational. Only Elway checked all of the boxes. And by checking all of the boxes, to be a generational QB it means you have A+ talent/skill in every area of evaluation.

Frankly, while Peyton Manning is often touted as generational now. He wasn’t when he was in the draft, with a fair number of scouts ranking Leaf higher.

From what I’ve seen, there have only been 2 generational college QBs in my lifetime. Elway and Luck. Say what you want about Luck, but the fact is he checked all of the boxes in spades. Sadly, the Colts “Sammied” his career by putting him behind a crap O line.

• Upvote 1