Sewell at LG + Becton at LT = Nobody will stop the Jets running left for 10 years.

Sewell looks like a potentially dominant pulling guard, and his down blocking looks great too, he's got quickness like I've never seen.  Becton we already know is a dominant LT.  This just seems too good to pass up.  We can build an offense around this.

The more I think about it, I'm getting ok with Sewell at #2, with an aggressive free agent play at Allen Robinson, and another free agent play for a top OL like Thuney who they could either move to RG or play Sewell at RG and Thuney at LG.  That has the potential to transform the protection and fix Darnold with the right coaching.

• Thumb Down 3
  • Confused 2
3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Or put one of them at Right tackle, and get a decent Center, and run in both directions?

Thuney at RG with Fant at RT would be a competent start.

Thuney at LG and Sewell at RG too would be sick.  Sewell can slot anywhere other than center so that's another value.

They can make this OL a top 10 unit this offseason if they want.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Or put one of them at Right tackle, and get a decent Center, and run in both directions?

iirc, McG graded out decent. its the play at G that is killing us... since what Willie Colon left, 2014/15?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2
17 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Thuney at RG with Fant at RT would be a competent start.

Thuney at LG and Sewell at RG too would be sick.  Sewell can slot anywhere other than center so that's another value.

They can make this OL a top 10 unit this offseason if they want.

Thuney has played every position across the OL as well so you could be flexible. Becton also was a RT to start at Louisville. 

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So, Penel, we know you're the top Tackle prospect in the draft, won the Outland trophy and all that at the most prestigious O Line position in Football, but we're going to draft you at 2 and kick you to Interior Lineman, and in 4 years offer you a contract commensurate with the top Guards, and not the Tackle you've been your entire career. 

LOL.

Sure.

I know Sewell is a great tackle prospect too.

Here's also what I know: If the Jets draft Sewell the combination with Becton can be special.  Nobody is stopping them running to the left.  Strategically it can help tilt the playing field.

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I've said that in other threads, 2 free agent moves, Sign Thuney + Lindsey, move McGovern to RG (he's better there anyway), Sewell at RT. 

That line would gel FAST with Becton in his 2nd year, 3 veterans manning the inside in Thuney, Lindsey & McGovern. Cut Fant, save 8 million, that means you revamped your entire Oline in 2 years & only paid Lindsey approx. 2 million (Fants 8 + 2, 10 million per year) & Thuney (probably between 13/15 Million). That would still leave approx. 80-85 million in free agency. 

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So, Penel, we know your the top Tackle prospect in the draft, won the Outland trophy and all that at the most prestigious O Line position in Football, but we're going to kick you to Interior Lineman, and in 4 years offer you a contract commensurate with the top Guards, and not the Left Tackle you've been your entire career. 

LOL.

Sure.

He'd go to LT, Becton back to his college days RT, Jets run left & right, 1st time since Mawae use to pull!

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

You don't put the best LT prospect in 10+ years at LG.

If anything Sewell ultimately takes LT and Becton kicks over to RT.

Thuney is a freaking BAD AZZ, one of the best guards in the NFL. Him next to either Becton or Sewell is bad news for any Defensive lines they face! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Thuney is a freaking BAD AZZ, one of the best guards in the NFL. Him next to either Becton or Sewell is bad news for any Defensive lines they face! 

If we do take Sewell, I'm all in on using premium assets on the OL (and maybe even drafting Najee Harris if he's there for our 2nd round pick) and giving this team an offensive identity.

• Upvote 3
11 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So, Penel, we know you're the top Tackle prospect in the draft, won the Outland trophy and all that at the most prestigious O Line position in Football, but we're going to draft you at 2 and kick you to Interior Lineman, and in 4 years offer you a contract commensurate with the top Guards, and not the Tackle you've been your entire career. 

the problem with this logic is it assumes the Jets are looking to pay anyone their second contract

that hasn't happened for years 

more likely they trade them for a 3rd and a 5th and keep it moving 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Sewell looks like a potentially dominant pulling guard, and his down blocking looks great too, he's got quickness like I've never seen.  Becton we already know is a dominant LT.  This just seems too good to pass up.  We can build an offense around this.

The more I think about it, I'm getting ok with Sewell at #2, with an aggressive free agent play at Allen Robinson, and another free agent play for a top OL like Thuney who they could either move to RG or play Sewell at RG and Thuney at LG.  That has the potential to transform the protection and fix Darnold with the right coaching.

I don't hate the idea of drafting Sewell. Not at all. I'm  huge proponent of building from the inside out, starting with a dominant o-line. However, when you have the second overall pick and a dearth of talent on your team, including uncertainty at the QB position, you have to consider trading down or taking a QB. So, I would only take Sewell if 1. the Jets did not value any QB in this draft as  a potential Franchise changing QB- Fields, Lance, Wilson, whoever, I'm no scout. Or 2. if the Jets did not get any good trade down offers. 

As much as I love Sewell as a prospect, I would also love to trade down and get- lets say a guy like W.Davis, an additional second rounder this year, and another first next year. Just as an example (but probably more). Becton, W.Davis, McGoven, Thuney, Fant. But the Jets would also have Seattles pick, 2 first round picks and 2 third round picks. The possibilities are endless. 

The more I think about it the more it makes sense for the Jets to trade down if they have the #2 overall pick. But again, I'm not a scout and passing on a Franchise QB when you know you need one would be a monumental mistake and trading down just for the sake of trading down when the value is not there is also moronic. This is why JD gets paid the big bucks.   

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

You put a Oline together of Sewell-Thuney-Lindsey-McGovern- Becton you would have veteran QBs looking for a job lining up to play behind that Oline. 

Plus add Allen Robinson- Mims- Devonta Smith- Crowder- Eifert or Ertz & Najee Harris- Perine- Ty Johnson in the backfield. 

With our draft picks & free agent dollars this isn't that far fetched. 

You might have to switch Devonta Smith to Deshon Moore or Waddle? 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If we do take Sewell, I'm all in on using premium assets on the OL (and maybe even drafting Najee Harris if he's there for our 2nd round pick) and giving this team an offensive identity.

In my scenario with Lindsey your using Fants 8 million savings to give Lindsey 10 million per. So really your only paying a premium for Thuney who is definitely worth it! Your already paying McGovern so slide him to RG where he's actually better anyway. Be offensive line coaches lining up to coach that group!

16 minutes ago, Jetster said:

He'd go to LT, Becton back to his college days RT, Jets run left & right, 1st time since Mawae use to pull!

Yes. You suddenly have a top ten line (that will be top five in the league in a year or two) that can run whenever it wants and flatters any QB. If you are someone like Thuney wouldn't you relish coming to join Big Ticket and Sewell?

Huge if, but IF JD does believe in Sam, this is a very solid play. Even if he doesn't, he can give a year to check and then practically any QB will play above their numbers with the amount of time and play action opps a line with Becton, Thuney and Sewell would enable. 

It's like trying to box out the Spurs with the Admiral and Tim Duncan on the court. 

6 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Yes. You suddenly have a top ten line (that will be top five in the league in a year or two) that can run whenever it wants and flatters any QB. If you are someone like Thuney wouldn't you relish coming to join Big Ticket and Sewell?

Huge if, but IF JD does believe in Sam, this is a very solid play. Even if he doesn't, he can give a year to check and then practically any QB will play above their numbers with the amount of time and play action opps a line with Becton, Thuney and Sewell would enable. 

It's like trying to box out the Spurs with the Admiral and Tim Duncan on the court. 

Why would it take long to gel? The only rookie would be the generational talent (Sewell). Becton would be in his 2nd year after a dominant Rookie season & the inside 3 spots would be manned by veterans, Thuney, Lindsey & McGovern guiding the young studs by making all of the line calls so Becton & Sewell just have to think about destroying people! 

You put a TE out there that can block & catch, now your really creating a dilemma for a defense if the WRs are Robinson, Mims, and Crowder or 4 WR sets with an added rookie like Devonta Smith drafted at the Seattle spot. 

56 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

No, Becton LT Efflein LG Thuney RG Sewell RT.

33 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

You don't put the best LT prospect in 10+ years at LG.

If anything Sewell ultimately takes LT and Becton kicks over to RT.

You also don’t move the BEST LT in football to RT for a rookie.

• Upvote 3
8 hours ago, slats said:

Absolute NO to a guard at #2 overall. If you’re drafting Sewell, it’s to be cheap, top end bookends with Becton for the next four years. 

...which is still a reach in value, seeing how guard is generally a higher-paid position than RT (and RT is the position they'd be upgrading, regardless of which one would play on which side). There are 3x as many 8-figure/year OGs as there are RTs.

I don't see using the #2 pick to upgrade at any OL position other than LT. The rarest of perfect storms would be a unique draft like 2013 that was so ridiculously weak up top. 

Considering the value of the #2 is at least 2 mid-round 1st rounders and probably at least one more day 2 pick, this equates to burning 2 1st rounders and more just to upgrade the RT position. 

• Upvote 1