Should the Jets Draft Zach Wilson at #2?

bla bla bla

12 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Like most of the board, I have been getting pretty excited by the thought of seeing this 15 year old in Jets Green if we can't land Trevor. There are definitely pros & cons for a move like this but if a QB is the pick at #2, he needs to be in the conversation. This guy took 2 BYU Cheerleaders to his High School Senior Prom - Kid has Namath written on him!

Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 2.17.41 PM.png

He's no Namath as there was no nookie.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, StrawberryFields said:

Cimini says they won’t take Sewell. Douglas doesn’t value right tackle the same way as left tackle. Rich thinks they look to trade out. 

either way, looks like build around Sam, and that sucks. to me.

so he can look like "good Andy Dalton"

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, StrawberryFields said:

Cimini says they won’t take Sewell. Douglas doesn’t value right tackle the same way as left tackle. Rich thinks they look to trade out. 

Of course they will. 49ers will trade up for this guy and he will become the next Mahomes.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, StrawberryFields said:

Rich Cimini doesn't know squat about what JD values. When he was with the Eagles they had Jason Peters at LT & Lance Johnson at RT! Beasts! 

• Upvote 3

Count me in the keep Sam club and surround him with weapons and better protection club. I wouldn't waste the #2 pick on a QB. Either go Sewell or trade down a few spots and go OL, WR  or edge while picking up extra ammo. . If Sam's not the answer next off season go for a new QB but we'll already have everything else in place. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Like most of the board, I have been getting pretty excited by the thought of seeing this 15 year old in Jets Green if we can't land Trevor. There are definitely pros & cons for a move like this but if a QB is the pick at #2, he needs to be in the conversation. This guy took 2 BYU Cheerleaders to his High School Senior Prom - Kid has Namath written on him!

Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 2.17.41 PM.png

Only another half a year till we get to find out! Draft Day. Aka the Jets annual Super Bowl. ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Only another half a year till we get to find out! Draft Day. Aka the Jets annual Super Bowl. ?

This will be an exciting one though! JD had everyone losing their minds when he traded out & then STILL got Mims! Everyone was so use to Macc using his Lindsey draft magazine it blew everyone's minds! 

Hall is starting to show up to. Plus I'm sure Davis will be better next year with opposing QBs not getting 10 seconds to throw so our secondary can drive on some balls instead of chasing the whole damn game! 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Of course they will. 49ers will trade up for this guy and he will become the next Mahomes.

Sorry but this kid is nothing like the next Patrick Mahomes. 

Patrick Mahomes (Texas Tech) 32 games played. 

857/1,349 (63.5%), 11,252 passing yards (8.3 yards per pass attempt), 93 TDs/29 INTs (3.20 TD-to-INT Ratio); QB Rating of 152.0. 

Mahomes had 6 games of 400+ passing yards, 4 games of 500+ passing yards and 1 game of 734 passing yards!

Zach Wilson (BYU) 30 games played. 

565/836 (67.6%), 7,659 passing yards (9.2 yards per pass attempt), 56 TDs/15 INTs (3.73 TD-to-INT Ratio); QB Rating of 163.1. 

Zach Wilson only had 2 games of 400+ passing yards, 0 games of 500+ passing yards and 0 games of 734+ passing yards etc

They are not the same and all of these Patrick Mahomes comparisons are beginning to bother me. Mahomes had 11 games of over 400+ passing yards compared to Wilson's 2 games of 400+. 

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, StrawberryFields said:

Hopefully this is true.

If he's the clear-cut #2 prospect in the draft, and the next bunch of slots are a group of evenly-rated prospects, then his trade value is worth far more than upgrading at RT. 

I'd rather Douglas overspends on a FA on the right side for a couple years with the idea that the tackle combo is still reasonable while Becton's dollars are low; and then he still has the #2 overall pick. Use that on another player at a position you don't typically find reaching UFA status, or to turn it into filling a couple positions instead of just one by moving down if a need-position's value isn't there at #2. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Nope. 

penei-sewell.thumb.jpg.2ff807c7658a260fc8b79388473dd849.jpg

I want the greatest Offensive Lineman prospect to come out since dating back to Orlando Pace of 23 years ago (1997) in Penei Sewell. 

This pick will improve two positions @ the same time because A.) Sewell is a much better (natural) blindside pass protector than Becton (who's already allowed 6 sacks this year) and B.) Mekhi Becton is more of a natural Road Grader of an absolute Mauler in the run game and would create for the greatest overall RT within the game today. 

It's either Trevor Lawrence and if not there's no chance JD would ever pass up on Penei Sewell; because if not for Trevor Lawrence this Penei Sewell kid is the #1 overall draft pick 10/10 times.

To feature two potential and future HOF Bookend OT's is too much to pass up on for absolute PROJECT QB's (if not Trevor Lawrence). 

This makes me feel better about sending Becton to RT. 

In my opinion, drafting Sewell is the absolute safest pick they could make with the exception of ending up back at 1. 

• Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

857/1,349 (63.5%), 11,252 passing yards (8.3 yards per pass attempt), 93 TDs/29 INTs (3.20 TD-to-INT Ratio); QB Rating of 152.0. 

Mahomes had 6 games of 400+ passing yards, 4 games of 500+ passing yards and 1 game of 734 passing yards!

565/836 (67.6%), 7,659 passing yards (9.2 yards per pass attempt), 56 TDs/15 INTs (3.73 TD-to-INT Ratio); QB Rating of 163.1. 

Zach Wilson only had 2 games of 400+ passing yards, 0 games of 500+ passing yards and 0 games of 734+ passing yards etc

They are not the same and all of these Patrick Mahomes comparisons are beginning to bother me. Mahomes had 11 games of over 400+ passing yards compared to Wilson's 2 games of 400+. 

This is interesting because Mahomes definitely wins with regards to volume, however Wilson beats him in every category when averaged. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

This makes me feel better about sending Becton to RT. 

In my opinion, drafting Sewell is the absolute safest pick they could make with the exception of ending up back at 1. 

Not only the safest pick (but if we're to miss out on Trevor Lawrence) he'll also become the smartest pick. 

Penei Sewell has allowed just 1 sack over 1,376 snaps the last two seasons of 2018 & 2019. 

You do not pass up the opportunity to draft not only the highest rated LT but the highest rated Offensive Lineman to declare in over 23 years; not for no project QB you don't. 

There's only one player who I'm drafting over Penei Sewell and that's Trevor Lawrence (it's as black and white and as simple as that). 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

4 minutes ago, Grandy said:

This is interesting because Mahomes definitely wins with regards to volume, however Wilson beats him in every category when averaged. 

True but @ the same time Mahomes had 11 games of over 400+ passing yards compared to Wilson's only 2 games of 400+ passing yards; they aren't the same (nothing like it coming out). 

93 TD passes vs. 56 TD passes is a big time difference too; especially considering the fact that that's kind of what Mahomes is known for on an NFL level (TD passes). 

Mahomes also went for 370 passing yards, 4 TD passes/1 INT against a nasty LSU Defense of the SEC. 

This kid Wilson has never once faced a decent defense he's made a living off of glorified H.S defenses. 

This UCF game everyone is raving about? It's a joke man I live down here in Florida and UCF has never been known for DEFENSE and over the last 10 years they've only sent 10 defensive players into the NFL. Almost EVERY SINGLE QB lights up UCF it's a joke. 

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

True but @ the same time Mahomes had 11 games of over 400+ passing yards compared to Wilson's only 2 games of 400+ passing yards; they aren't the same (nothing like it coming out). 

93 TD passes vs. 56 TD passes is a big time difference too; especially considering the fact that that's kind of what Mahomes is known for on an NFL level (TD passes). 

Mahomes also went for 370 passing yards, 4 TD passes/1 INT against a nasty LSU Defense of the SEC. 

This kid Wilson has never once faced a decent defense he's made a living off of glorified H.S defenses. 

This UCF game everyone is raving about? It's a joke man I live down here in Florida and UCF has never been known for DEFENSE and over the last 10 years they've only sent 10 defensive players into the NFL. Almost EVERY SINGLE QB lights up UCF it's a joke. 

Just can't buy in to this argument, Mahomes threw much more, but by every metric Wilson was more explosive, more accurate and far better at protecting the football. I think that is coaching. I don't think the BYU coach is as interested in running up 70 pts in a game as others in CFB. He basically just ran the ball in the second half. If they had kept pressing Wilson throws for 500+ in that game.

Maybe I should bookmark this post and come back to it in a couple years, but I think Wilson is the most impressive QB I have seen in CFB since I started actually paying attention maybe 10 years ago. Yes, even over Lawrence.

I think he will be dominant. 

I think JD makes a huge mistake if we do not take him at 2. If we go back to #1 we will take Lawrence but we should not pass on this guy. I do not see him getting past the top 5. His talent just completely jumps out at you and I think he is no where near realizing his potential. 

If Cin finishes 4 I would try and work out a 3 way trade to get to #3 so he cant be traded away from us. 

Jets will certainly screw this up though. We love passing on franchise QBs

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Nope. 

penei-sewell.thumb.jpg.2ff807c7658a260fc8b79388473dd849.jpg

I want the greatest Offensive Lineman prospect to come out since dating back to Orlando Pace of 23 years ago (1997) in Penei Sewell. 

This pick will improve two positions @ the same time because A.) Sewell is a much better (natural) blindside pass protector than Becton (who's already allowed 6 sacks this year) and B.) Mekhi Becton is more of a natural Road Grader of an absolute Mauler in the run game and would create for the greatest overall RT within the game today. 

It's either Trevor Lawrence and if not there's no chance JD would ever pass up on Penei Sewell; because if not for Trevor Lawrence this Penei Sewell kid is the #1 overall draft pick 10/10 times.

To feature two potential and future HOF Bookend OT's is too much to pass up on for absolute PROJECT QB's (if not Trevor Lawrence). 

always nice to get talented players at any position but isn't the jets oline problems mostly in the middle?  seems to me most of the pressure has come from between the tackles.  not saying fant can't be upgraded but he's not the main problem.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, rangerous said:

always nice to get talented players at any position but isn't the jets oline problems mostly in the middle?  seems to me most of the pressure has come from between the tackles.  not saying fant can't be upgraded but he's not the main problem.

Once you have two future All-Pro's and potential HOF Bookend OT's already in place such as Becton/Sewell?

Not only will your QB then have Max protection every single drop back but the likes of the Bosa brothers etc

Will no longer be able to avoid Mekhi Becton... before running into Sewell... 

(just like how they've been avoiding Becton; in order to line up against a swingman in Fant). 

With Sewell and Becton already in place you can simply sign a LG such as Joe Thuney and draft a Center 1st round next year (2 first round picks) and all of a sudden you have an A+ O-Line for both QB and RB (think Najee Harris) while your WRs have enough time to run crisp routes. 

If it's not Trevor Lawrence well then it's Penei Sewell for me (because him and Becton will dominate the NFL for +10 years opposite of one another). 

Double Dipping @ SS & FS Safety (Adams/Maye) wouldn't be the same as double dipping @ OT (Becton/Sewell); it's about the only pick that can actually excite me outside of Trevor Lawrence. 

10 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Mahomes played at Texas tech 

I believe graham Harrell had over 20 games of 400+ yards

its all they do

cant compare the stats 

fields over Wilson anyway though 

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

The further you get into the process, the closer you get to the draft the more the hype around these kids crystallizes. I think by April JD is going to have a tough time passing on a QB.

I keep wondering, since JD has gotten no heat for 1-13, if they come out flat like this again next year and have no qb he could lose his job, but if he has a qb with potential he likely keeps his job to build around the kid.

• Upvote 2