Should the Jets Draft Zach Wilson at #2?

bla bla bla

1 hour ago, predator_05 said:

Absolutely not. 

This kid is a project. Being drafted to the Jets is the worst case scenario, he'd been thrown into the fire, expected to turn around a perennially underachieving franchise . 

It amazes me how people can put such a big burden on a small school kid. 

Outa curiosity, what part of Fields game would make you think he could succeed here since he went to a large school? Or are you completely against a QB and would prefer to build the team up?

• Upvote 1

With respect to strength of schedule/Small School and the Coastal loss, I just wanted to include Mahomes' last college season.

Stephen Austin  Win 69-17

Arizona State  Lost 68-55

Louisiana Tech Won 59-45

Kansas  Won 55-19

Kansas State Lost 44-38

West Virginia Lost 48-17

Oklahoma Lost 66-59

Texas Christian Won 27-24

Texas Lost 45-37

Oklahoma State Lost 45-44

Iowa State  Lost 66-10

Baylor Won 54-35

So if the argument that BYU hasn't played anyone is a reason you dont like Zach Wilson, keep in mind the best QB in the NFL lost games to West Virginia, and Iowa State while scoring less then 20 points both times.  He also had 15 interceptions as a sophomore and 10 as a junior.

Wilson did play better teams last season, beating USC, Tennessee and Boise State while losing to Washington and Utah so he has faced better competition.  It comes down to what CAN Wilson do in the NFL, not what he has done in college.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

With respect to strength of schedule/Small School and the Coastal loss, I just wanted to include Mahomes' last college season.

Stephen Austin  Win 69-17

Arizona State  Lost 68-55

Louisiana Tech Won 59-45

Kansas  Won 55-19

Kansas State Lost 44-38

West Virginia Lost 48-17

Oklahoma Lost 66-59

Texas Christian Won 27-24

Texas Lost 45-37

Oklahoma State Lost 45-44

Iowa State  Lost 66-10

Baylor Won 54-35

So if the argument that BYU hasn't played anyone is a reason you dont like Zach Wilson, keep in mind the best QB in the NFL lost games to West Virginia, and Iowa State while scoring less then 20 points both times.  He also had 15 interceptions as a sophomore and 10 as a junior.

Wilson did play better teams last season, beating USC, Tennessee and Boise State while losing to Washington and Utah so he has faced better competition.  It comes down to what CAN Wilson do in the NFL, not what he has done in college.

Strength of schedule is a cop out argument for not taking a qb you like.  He can either play or he can’t.  Flacco played for Delaware, fitzy for Harvard.  Josh allen played for Wyoming.  Big Ben played for miami of ohio.  Wentz came out of nowhere.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Strength of schedule is a cop out argument for not taking a qb you like.  He can either play or he can’t.  Flacco played for Delaware, fitzy for Harvard.  Josh allen played for Wyoming.  Big Ben played for miami of ohio.  Wentz came out of nowhere.  

Exactly.  Not only that, but its whether the traits are transferrable or not.

Trent Dilfer was on a podcast this week talking about Lawernce/Fields but QBs in general and said how hard it is to tell anything from TV.  He said that in RGIII's senior year he threw to his second read six times all year.  SIX TIMES - and people wonder why he wasnt able to succeed in the NFL.

JD needs to determine if these guys have the skill set to be able to process the speed of the NFL game and then whether they have the physical ability to play at that level.  After that its on the coaches to protect the QB as they develop - ie the Josh Allen formula.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Outa curiosity, what part of Fields game would make you think he could succeed here since he went to a large school? Or are you completely against a QB and would prefer to build the team up?

I expect the team to draft Fields. If i had to pick between Fields and Wilson at 1.02, Fields would be the easy choice because he's tougher, he reacts positively to mistakes, and has shown improvement one year to the next. He'll bounce back from the bad couple of games he's recently had; that's in his character. A bit like Baker Mayfield in that he won't be an elite NFL QB, but he won't be a bust either. He's already a professional and plays efficiently. With Wilson, i don't know what to expect; although he looks very talented. 

Wilson in the mid 1st is a better pick than Fields at 1.02. But if you HAVE to take QB - and i think the owners will push for this - then you'll have to make the move at 1.02. Which is where you take Fields. 

I'm 100% in favor of taking Sewell at 1.02, and building an offensive line that a 12 year old could play behind. But I don't expect this to happen. 

3 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

I expect the team to draft Fields. If i had to pick between Fields and Wilson at 1.02, Fields would be the easy choice because he's tougher, he reacts positively to mistakes, and has shown improvement one year to the next. He'll bounce back from the bad couple of games he's recently had; that's in his character. A bit like Baker Mayfield in that he won't be an elite NFL QB, but he won't be a bust either. He's already a professional and plays efficiently. With Wilson, i don't know what to expect; although he looks very talented. 

Wilson in the mid 1st is a better pick than Fields at 1.02. But if you HAVE to take QB - and i think the owners will push for this - then you'll have to make the move at 1.02. Which is where you take Fields. 

I'm 100% in favor of taking Sewell at 1.02, and building an offensive line that a 12 year old could play behind. But I don't expect this to happen. 

Actually i have more mental concerns with fields than Wilson.  Wilson had to take BYU on his back by himself.  How will fields react when he’s on the worst team?

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Actually i have more mental concerns with fields than Wilson.  Wilson had to take BYU on his back by himself.  How will fields react when he’s on the worst team?

Good question. I'm opposed to drafting a QB for this very reason. Any incoming QB is gonna be in a sh*tty situation to start with. 

Wilson is talented but his game is more mistake-prone. I liked Darnold for his fearlessness, and Wilson is similar. Problem is, these guys fail when they're on bad teams. 

If i had to pick between the 2, I'd take the safer QB, which is Fields. He'll make fewer mistakes. Just my early impression. 

2 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Good question. I'm opposed to drafting a QB for this very reason. Any incoming QB is gonna be in a sh*tty situation to start with. 

Wilson is talented but his game is more mistake-prone. I liked Darnold for his fearlessness, and Wilson is similar. Problem is, these guys fail when they're on bad teams. 

If i had to pick between the 2, I'd take the safer QB, which is Fields. He'll make fewer mistakes. Just my early impression. 

Where does Wilson fail now?  I’m more concerned about how fields would carry a team without top 3 recruiting talent around him.