The case for drafting Ja'Marr Chase at #2 overall

DoubleDown

Let's assume the following.

1. Justin Fields and Zach Wilson are a reach at #2 overall.
2. Penei Sewell does not fit a need on the Jets after Mekhi Becton's strong rookie season.
3. The Jets cannot find a trade partner that offers fair compensation for the #2 overall pick.

The Jets absolutely need to add a #1 WR to the offense.  The position is critical to the success of Sam Darnold or whoever the quarterback of the future may be.

Ja'marr Chase was a dominant force in college football in 2019.  He is an elite deep threat, he has excellent hands, and he is very strong and physical at the catch point.  Some potential pro comparisons for Chase would be Odell Beckham Jr. and Stefon Diggs.

Why is Ja'Marr Chase not part of the conversation at #2?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

I’d be all in but you have to trade back a few spots say with Cincy to max out the value of the pick.

Wr is a position you can get later in a draft and I'm an LSU fan and would love to draft either Chase or Marshall from LSU. But you only get to draft in the top 5 every so often, I feel you need to take the QB . I prefer Fields but would be ok with Wilson.

• Upvote 1

No way! He's one of those guys I would to love to opt-in so we can see him without the most productive QB in NCAA history. Unfortunately we didn't and I wouldn't feel comfortable selecting him top 5. Guys like Julio and AJ Green put in work for all 3 years and left no doubts. He can be great and perhaps better then both although highly unlikely, however I'm not comfortable making such a risk.

• Post of the Week 2

It just goes to figure that the year the Jets finally get the 2nd pick in the draft instead of later there's no stud EDGE rusher to follow up that years QB1. Everybody at #2 is a reach other than Sewell and we are a year removed from taking another LT

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

No way! He's one of those guys I would to love to opt-in so we can see him without the most productive QB in NCAA history. Unfortunately we didn't and I wouldn't feel comfortable selecting him top 5. Guys like Julio and AJ Green put in work for all 3 years and left no doubts. He can be great and perhaps better then both although highly unlikely, however I'm not comfortable making such a risk.

Seriously. His replacement Marshall put up a monster season behind him w/o Burrow and then Marshall's replacement Boutte just put up a 300 yard game with a true Freshman at QB. LSU has been attracting and recruiting top notch wr's for some time now.  OBJ, Landry, Jefferson, now Chase and Marshall . Trust me Chase is very good. I wouldn't take him at #2 but would have no problem taking him in the top 10 . 

4 minutes ago, Icer said:

It just goes to figure that the year the Jets finally get the 2nd pick in the draft instead of later there's no stud EDGE rusher to follow up that years QB1. Everybody at #2 is a reach other than Sewell and we are a year removed from taking another LT

Of course.  Just like when we picked #1 in the year where Keyshawn was the guy.  Terrible value.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, doitny said:

yeah but most teams in the top ten already have a QB. i dont want to trade out of it

Panthers have no QB. If they fall in love with Fields/Wilson they can move to get him.

Falcons/Lions have QBs, but their time is almost up. I can see both drafting a young guy at the spot and moving on from Stafford and Ryan.

SF drafts at 12 ATM and I definitely think they're looking to move to draft a QB. Garoppolo stinks.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Not for nothing, but if you’re considering Fields a reach at 2, then I’m not sure how Chase isn’t an even bigger reach.  

Probably because Chase is a better prospect with a greater chance to succeed than Fields. I am not saying it's a good idea, I am just defending the concept that Chase is a better prospect at his given position. We can definitely argue if the gamble at QB makes taking Fields a better choice (because it might). 

With that said, OP lost me when he said we don't need Sewell because we have Becton. Sewell would be a pro bowl RT or even a guard if need be. Rebuilding the Oline to the point where it goes from awful to great is almost as important as getting Lawrence. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Even if he was projected that well (and he may be), there is no way I pass on Sewell. 

But having a great Oline with no QB gets you where exactly. Do you think Sam's light will magically turn on in year 4.  Oline you can get later in the draft or via FA , FQB you most likely can't .

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

1. Justin Fields and Zach Wilson are a reach at #2 overall.
2. Penei Sewell does not fit a need on the Jets after Mekhi Becton's strong rookie season.
3. The Jets cannot find a trade partner that offers fair compensation for the #2 overall pick.

No.

First of all you can't just assume these 3 things. Sewell can play anywhere on the line except for C. You don't just pass on him b/c you already have a LT. Sewell is probably the safest player in the draft and Becton has already shown he tends to get nicked up. These days defenses have elite edge rushers on both sides so a RT is almost as important as a LT, blindside or not.

Fields, despite his poor showing as of late is still the #2 QB behind TL in most eyes, I don't think anyone in need of a QB would suddenly bump him down and consider a WR instead. Wilson I agree would be a reach but again, he is a QB and rising fast- if you are a QB needy team (even if you also need a #1 WR) you don't pass on him if you think he could be 'your guy'. I think Lance will be a fast riser as we approach the draft as well. Same goes with him, if you feel he is 'your guy' you don't pass on him. 

As far as trading down, yes, very possible they won't get fair compensation. So I'll give you that. But its a great spot for a team thats selecting in the top five and really likes any QB not named TL. They wont have to give up THAT much but will very much be afraid of missing out.  

There's also the fact that the Jets drafted Mims and he looks legit. AND conversely Darnold looked like he regressed. If not for that I may agree with you. With Mims looking like a stud and your QB looking like a bust (even if you plan to stick it out with him one more year), how can your thinking as a GM be to target a WR. To me that makes no sense. I either take BAP (Sewell), or I take my next Franchise QB (Lance, Wilson, Fields- whoever I feel might be that guy) or I do whatever I can to trade down. Let's say none of those are options, sure Chase would be in play. But that's HIGHLY unlikely and probably not worth speculating over. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

Not happening, the Jets will get their wr in free agency..if for some reason they strike out the trade down to 4 or 5 and pick him there...

NY Jets will draft a top rated WR in the 2021 NFL Draft 

Denzel Mims was too often injured to not bolster the position with another rookie. 

7 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Panthers have no QB. If they fall in love with Fields/Wilson they can move to get him.

Falcons/Lions have QBs, but their time is almost up. I can see both drafting a young guy at the spot and moving on from Stafford and Ryan.

SF drafts at 12 ATM and I definitely think they're looking to move to draft a QB. Garoppolo stinks.

And washington will also be picking a qb. If the win division they will be picking in the 20s, if not closer to 10

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

But having a great Oline with no QB gets you where exactly. Do you think Sam's light will magically turn on in year 4.  Oline you can get later in the draft or via FA , FQB you most likely can't .

I don't think JD passes on a QB if he feels said QB could be 'the guy'. Only if he's NOT in love with Lance/Wilson/Fields will he take Sewell. That's just my gut feeling. It's QB first and foremost, then Sewell, all with the possibility of a trade down in the background. I think JD knows he may not find himself in a position where he can take a QB this early again and I think he also knows Sam does not have a future with the Jets, even if they plan to keep him another year. I really would not be surprised if Justin Fields ended up being the pick or we saw a trade down scenario. I would not mind Sewell and I think the Jets like him a lot but somehow I see that as the least likely scenario.  

• Upvote 1

This! If we cannot trade a the pick for a slight trade back and another high picks take Sewell. I don’t get the “in 5 years we have to pay top dollars”.

1. Best case- both he and Becton are absolute studs. It allows the team’s offense and more importantly the QB have the best possible opportunity to succeed for 4 years.

2. same outcome but for only 3 years as you trade one tackle for multiple 1st rounders (like Miami did)

3. One is great and one sucks or both ok neither on is pro bowl level.

4. Both suck.

Obviously, there are variations I tend to think 1 and 2 are the likely outcomes. Becton looks great so far (just needs a full off-season of NFL conditioning). Sewell looks like a freak. Those two will give us a top 5 line next year. The protection for Sam/Draftee, the backs and WRs would help all levels of the offense. Having two stud OTs would be a nice problem to have.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

To who? 

Who will pay a kings ransom for that pick vs drafting a BPA player at the position JD feels improves this team immediately. 

To a team that needs a QB. In case you haven’t noticed this is a QB league and many teams have aging ones or none at all. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, KINGDIRK said:

To a team that needs a QB. In case you haven’t noticed this is a QB league and many teams have aging ones or none at all. 

It happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR. last year, 4 1st round QB, 3 taken in the first 6 picks. If the Jets auction the pick off someone will move up to 2 to take Fields/Wilson

55 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Wr is a position you can get later in a draft and I'm an LSU fan and would love to draft either Chase or Marshall from LSU. But you only get to draft in the top 5 every so often, I feel you need to take the QB . I prefer Fields but would be ok with Wilson.

I’m of the assumption this kid is Julio Jones AJ Green kind of good if so then use the high pick if not yes look more so with pick in late 1st and 2nd rounders for WR’s.