The case for drafting Ja'Marr Chase at #2 overall

DoubleDown

2 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Let's assume the following.

1. Justin Fields and Zach Wilson are a reach at #2 overall.
2. Penei Sewell does not fit a need on the Jets after Mekhi Becton's strong rookie season.
3. The Jets cannot find a trade partner that offers fair compensation for the #2 overall pick.

The Jets absolutely need to add a #1 WR to the offense.  The position is critical to the success of Sam Darnold or whoever the quarterback of the future may be.

Ja'marr Chase was a dominant force in college football in 2019.  He is an elite deep threat, he has excellent hands, and he is very strong and physical at the catch point.  Some potential pro comparisons for Chase would be Odell Beckham Jr. and Stefon Diggs.

Why is Ja'Marr Chase not part of the conversation at #2?

First off Sewell absolutely fills a need and if JD can't find a trade partner with this amount of talent in this draft, ship him off on the same rail you are shipping Gase off o. 

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

we'll see. Deandre Hopkins (despite looking to me like WR1) wound up hanging around to the end of round 1.... so Chase, probably not. But there's a real cluster there of blue chip WR1s that I'm sure will be valued different across 32 boards. Maybe we get lucky. 

I agree I think we have a shot at a Rondale Moore, Sage Surratt ,Chris Olave later in Rd1 or early Rd 2 . And with Waddle's injury he may fall down many draft boards.  

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Wr is a position you can get later in a draft and I'm an LSU fan and would love to draft either Chase or Marshall from LSU. But you only get to draft in the top 5 every so often, I feel you need to take the QB . I prefer Fields but would be ok with Wilson.

Why? none of the QB's after Lawrence are must have. I doubt their is a significant drop off from Fields to Mac. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Why? none of the QB's after Lawrence are must have. I doubt their is a significant drop off from Fields to Mac. 

That's your opinion - let's see how JD and team feel about it. Mogglez alluded to the fact the Jets had Fields ranked as their 2nd choice QB , question is how high are they on him? 

2 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

2. Penei Sewell does not fit a need on the Jets after Mekhi Becton's strong rookie season.
3. The Jets cannot find a trade partner that offers fair compensation for the #2 overall pick.

The Jets absolutely need to add a #1 WR to the offense.  The position is critical to the success of Sam Darnold or whoever the quarterback of the future may be.

Ja'marr Chase was a dominant force in college football in 2019.  He is an elite deep threat, he has excellent hands, and he is very strong and physical at the catch point.  Some potential pro comparisons for Chase would be Odell Beckham Jr. and Stefon Diggs.

sewell and becton at each tackle position would be dominant. you saw what becton did for our run game to the left.....imagine that on both sides and the protection whoever our qb would get from having 2 elite tackles

1 minute ago, neckdemon said:

sewell and becton at each tackle position would be dominant. you saw what becton did for our run game to the left.....imagine that on both sides and the protection whoever our qb would get from having 2 elite tackles

Great so Sam will have more time to throw interceptions .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Nope , Smith's main attribute is speed. Chase is a more well rounded receiver. 

Huh?

Since when is Smith known as a burner?

He’s certainly not some average athlete but his hands, route running and ability to find soft spots in the defense are far and away his greatest qualities.

For all of the hype dudes like Jeudy and Ruggs received last year, I feel that Smith is easily the best of the bunch. Certainly above Waddle as well.

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Huh?

Since when is Smith known as a burner?

He’s certainly not some average athlete but his hands, route running and ability to find soft spots in the defense are far and away his greatest qualities.

For all of the hype dudes like Jeudy and Ruggs received last year, I feel that Smith is easily the best of the bunch. Certainly above Waddle as well.

It will be interesting to see how Bama and Smith play in the CFP. Those games will probably be their stiffest tests this year as the SEC defenses were a big notch down this year. Smith like Chase last season benefitted from some pretty open real estate in the defensive backfields. But no arguments on his hands and route running .

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

To who? 

Who will pay a kings ransom for that pick vs drafting a BPA player at the position JD feels improves this team immediately. 

We can actually trade down twice and stay in the top 5. The only team That definitely will not select a QB is Cincinnati. If the Bengals think the Jets are going to take Sewell and that is a strong possibility considering we need OL as bad as they do, you can make a deal. Not a haul for moving one spot but probably a second and a 4th. You can then trade down with Carolina or Atlanta who both should be in the market for QB's and hope they value one guy over the other and will trade up to make sure they get their guy. You could even trade back to Detroit spot who will also want a QB and probably still get Chase. 

13 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

That's your opinion - let's see how JD and team feel about it. Mogglez alluded to the fact the Jets had Fields ranked as their 2nd choice QB , question is how high are they on him? 

There is a number 2 at every position. Why does Fields being there second choice at the position make him a must have? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Because the other option is another year or years of Sam Darnold. 

That doesn't mean you reach for a position if the guy is not a must have. Except for Lawrence, the Jets should pass on the rest of this QB class. None of them look like sure things and if you mess up the 2nd pick with another QB bust, you set the franchise back 5 years. Look at what a bust at 3rd overall did. 

5 hours ago, Icer said:

It just goes to figure that the year the Jets finally get the 2nd pick in the draft instead of later there's no stud EDGE rusher to follow up that years QB1. Everybody at #2 is a reach other than Sewell and we are a year removed from taking another LT

Yes, but for us it is good QB(Fields/Wilson), OT(Sewell), and WR(Chase) all are higher towards the top of the draft by many since we would all be aggravated with any pick of a defender with our top pick at this point. We need to keep spending top picks we get on Offensive players which is what it seems this draft is providing. We can go best Edge/CB after that like with 2nd 1st rounder of our 2nd rounder.  

Like it or not if you sit out a year 'to prepare for the draft' you might come away with some great combine numbers but no tape from this year while Smith is just tearing it up and looking great every single game drops you potentially.  Smith was good coming into this year and just raised his stock each game.

5 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

First assumption is bad. Neither are a reach

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Seriously? Who is the QB on Atlanta? Ryan is as old as dirt. Carolina is not looking at Bridgewater as their QB of the future. 

i said Most teams. and Ryan is only 35. you still have plenty of QBs playing alot older than that and playing good.  now Carolina can use a QB. but they can sit at 5 and get there man. 

5 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Panthers have no QB. If they fall in love with Fields/Wilson they can move to get him.

Falcons/Lions have QBs, but their time is almost up. I can see both drafting a young guy at the spot and moving on from Stafford and Ryan.

SF drafts at 12 ATM and I definitely think they're looking to move to draft a QB. Garoppolo stinks.

Atlanta could sit at 4 and get theres. 

carolina can sit at 5 and get there man, if they are convince Atlanta wont take a QB. i can see Detroit but thats the 11 pick. i dont want out of the top ten. Atlanta

i think stays with Ryan, or if the do go for the QB they wont let anyone know so Carolina dont trade up. 

56 minutes ago, doitny said:

i said Most teams. and Ryan is only 35. you still have plenty of QBs playing alot older than that and playing good.  now Carolina can use a QB. but they can sit at 5 and get there man. 

The North side of 30 is old in the NFL. 

You have Brady, Roger's, Brees, and Rivers along with Ryan. Did I miss someone? Brady stinks now, Brees is still good bur N. O. has to start thinking about a replacement, Rivers is below average, and Roger's still looks very good. Oh, Ryan won 4 games so far. Atlanta has to be thinking QB. If they think the Jets are going to select there guy, they will trade up. 

4 of the top 5 will take a QB. The Eagles Giants, and possibly Dallas depending on Daks health could also be in the market. 

I like Sewell, and in all honesty, I think he is the most likely pick at #2.

However, for the sake of argument, this comes down to positional value to me. What is more important in the NFL in 2020? A #1 WR or a dominant RT? To me, the answer is obvious. You need a go-to high end wide receiver if you want a functional offense. You can easily get by with a middle of the pack RT.

Everyone is assuming the Jets nab one of the top free agent wide receivers this offseason. What if that doesn't happen?

Maybe it's just me, but I would be alot more excited about an offense featuring Chase, Mims, Crowder, Becton, and Fant than Mims, Crowder, Becton, and Sewell.

• Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

The North side of 30 is old in the NFL. 

You have Brady, Roger's, Brees, and Rivers along with Ryan. Did I miss someone? Brady stinks now, Brees is still good bur N. O. has to start thinking about a replacement, Rivers is below average, and Roger's still looks very good. Oh, Ryan won 4 games so far. Atlanta has to be thinking QB. If they think the Jets are going to select there guy, they will trade up. 

4 of the top 5 will take a QB. The Eagles Giants, and possibly Dallas depending on Daks health could also be in the market. 

Brady sucks? 3800 yds. 32 TDs 11 Int the team is 9-5 and probably going to the playoffs thats far from sucking

roethlisburger (38),

Cousins (32) decent numbers, he will still be starting

Tannehill (32) having the best yr of his career

Russell Wilson (32) 

it doesnt matter how many games Ryan won. thats because the team sucks. 64%comp %, 4000 yds, 22Td 11INT, sacked 36 times. 

no way the Giants take a QB

Phila is a maybe. depends on how Hurts plays next 2 games

i agree on Dallas, depends on Dak

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, doitny said:

Brady sucks? 3800 yds. 32 TDs 11 Int the team is 9-5 and probably going to the playoffs thats far from sucking

roethlisburger (38),

Cousins (32) decent numbers, he will still be starting

Tannehill (32) having the best yr of his career

Russell Wilson (32) 

it doesnt matter how many games Ryan won. thats because the team sucks. 64%comp %, 4000 yds, 22Td 11INT, sacked 36 times. 

no way the Giants take a QB

Phila is a maybe. depends on how Hurts plays next 2 games

i agree on Dallas, depends on Dak

I'm sorry, did we forget we were looking at QB's over 35?

When Brady has played against top tier D's, he has not played weel. He has thrown for about 200 yards and has had multiple picks and in his last 6 games he has thrown 7 picks. This has been the same thing with him for the last few seasons. He can't sustain his level of play. 

Don't count out the Giants. They know Jones is not the future. 

15 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

If the Bengals think the Jets are going to take Sewell and that is a strong possibility considering we need OL as bad as they do, you can make a deal. 

the Jets need Sewell just as badly as the Bengals need him 

they both drafted a Left tackle in the 10-15 range and have a terrible RT. Their RT is Bobby Hart, ours is George Fant, both are the type of player to get a QB killed

both could draft Sewell top 3 and move the left tackle to the gaping hole at RT

there's no measurable way that the Jets line is better than the Bengals line and can pass on Sewell 

both lines absolutely suck terrible despite having 1 decent player in the group 

13 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

However, for the sake of argument, this comes down to positional value to me. What is more important in the NFL in 2020? A #1 WR or a dominant RT? To me, the answer is obvious. You need a go-to high end wide receiver if you want a functional offense. You can easily get by with a middle of the pack RT.

Everyone is assuming the Jets nab one of the top free agent wide receivers this offseason. What if that doesn't happen?

Maybe it's just me, but I would be alot more excited about an offense featuring Chase, Mims, Crowder, Becton, and Fant than Mims, Crowder, Becton, and Sewell.

There is going to be a stud WR at Seattles pick. Plus the Jets have a sh*t ton of cash & there will be a lot of WRs available! 

So Id rather have Sewell, Godwin & (Rashod Bateman or Rondale Moore or Devonta Smith or Terrace Marshall). 

14 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

You missed out on allocating Fant's $9.5 mil into the second unit leaving them at a disadvantage. Let's say we don't land a top FA WR as you mention but add a 2nd tier one to even it out. 

We're not drafting a stud RT but a stud LT. He's projected to be better then Becton making the latter the one to make the move to RT.

With all that said my opinion is to trade down for Klye Pitts.

On 12/24/2020 at 12:44 PM, Beerfish said:

Sitting out a year has hurt his stock.  I would not be surprised if he is not the 1st Wr off the board.

I wouldn' t mind taking chase If the Jets traded down.

I think this changes after the combine for every player who sat out due to COVID. Guys like Sewell, Chase, Rousseau will fly up team boards if they have a strong combine- the hype will be very real. This isn't like being hurt and missing a year. These guys are preparing for the draft and only sat out b/c they were already confident they would be top prospects at their positions. 

As far as being the top WR off the board. Who knows. But I highly doubt D.Smith, Bateman or Waddle go ahead of him. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, bitonti said:

the Jets need Sewell just as badly as the Bengals need him 

they both drafted a Left tackle in the 10-15 range and have a terrible RT. Their RT is Bobby Hart, ours is George Fant, both are the type of player to get a QB killed

both could draft Sewell top 3 and move the left tackle to the gaping hole at RT

there's no measurable way that the Jets line is better than the Bengals line and can pass on Sewell 

both lines absolutely suck terrible despite having 1 decent player in the group 

I think you are being way harsh on Fant. The Jets O-line troubles came mostly from the interior of the line this year. Their tackles held up, and that included Fant. Sure, he was beat here and there like any other tackle but thats just how it is. He's not a top tier player. 

I agree that saying the Jets don't need Sewell is silly, not just because he can come in and play G, RT, and LT but b/c he is the best player in the draft. However, I also believe the Jets have a ton of needs and at this point that includes QB. If they are NOT able to get a good deal to move down, getting a QB should be top priority. I'm not a fan of Wilson (mostly due to his slight frame and history of injuries) but I would not mind at all if the Jets took Fields or Lance. Fields reminds me of Tua (less of a cannon) and Lance reminds me of Allen. Now you may say those aren't much better than Darnold or they aren't exactly sparkling comparisons but those are top end level talent guys you can start fresh with. Obviously, JD would have to really like one of them and be ready to make that investment (time, resources, draft assets, etc.).

Sewell is only 'not a need' because of the Jets need for a QB (take a QB at 2) and so many other positions on the team (trade down). I think the fact that he plays LT and we have Becton is overblown. If one of them settles in at RT it will be a non-issue until contract time at which point the Jets will just need to pony up regardless of position if they want to keep him. 

21 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I think you are being way harsh on Fant. The Jets O-line troubles came mostly from the interior of the line this year. Their tackles held up, and that included Fant. Sure, he was beat here and there like any other tackle but thats just how it is. He's not a top tier player. 

I agree that saying the Jets don't need Sewell is silly, not just because he can come in and play G, RT, and LT but b/c he is the best player in the draft. However, I also believe the Jets have a ton of needs and at this point that includes QB. If they are NOT able to get a good deal to move down, getting a QB should be top priority. I'm not a fan of Wilson (mostly due to his slight frame and history of injuries) but I would not mind at all if the Jets took Fields or Lance. Fields reminds me of Tua (less of a cannon) and Lance reminds me of Allen. Now you may say those aren't much better than Darnold or they aren't exactly sparkling comparisons but those are top end level talent guys you can start fresh with. Obviously, JD would have to really like one of them and be ready to make that investment (time, resources, draft assets, etc.).

Sewell is only 'not a need' because of the Jets need for a QB (take a QB at 2) and so many other positions on the team (trade down). I think the fact that he plays LT and we have Becton is overblown. If one of them settles in at RT it will be a non-issue until contract time at which point the Jets will just need to pony up regardless of position if they want to keep him. 

Fant mostly holds up in pass protection but he can't run block worth a damn 

I like fields at Rd 2 prices not at 2 overall prices 

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

I think this changes after the combine for every player who sat out due to COVID. Guys like Sewell, Chase, Rousseau will fly up team boards if they have a strong combine- the hype will be very real. This isn't like being hurt and missing a year. These guys are preparing for the draft and only sat out b/c they were already confident they would be top prospects at their positions. 

As far as being the top WR off the board. Who knows. But I highly doubt D.Smith, Bateman or Waddle go ahead of him. 

Oh the combine will move them back up yes I agree, but recency bias and no film a all this year has let players pass them that probably would not have passed them otherwise. Tape from two years ago for chase vs devoanta smtih destroying the league this year.  (Not to mention the possible tinge of 'does this -layer love football?' coming through)

I guess we will see, should be interesting.

On 12/24/2020 at 2:05 PM, 56mehl56 said:

Wr is a position you can get later in a draft and I'm an LSU fan and would love to draft either Chase or Marshall from LSU. But you only get to draft in the top 5 every so often, I feel you need to take the QB . I prefer Fields but would be ok with Wilson.

Wish it weren't so, but the Jets drafted within the top 5:

2 out of the last 3 three drafts

4 out of the last 6 we drafted within the top 6.  

On 12/24/2020 at 3:17 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Of course.  Just like when we picked #1 in the year where Keyshawn was the guy.  Terrible value.

You all seem to be forgetting Josh Allen was available two years ago when we picked #3. He is a prototypical edge guy and we picked Q - rightfully so. It's not like we haven't had our chances.