Now that we are sticking with Darnold the head coach needs to be an offensive genius not CEO type.

Jetsbb

You can forget about getting the next Matt Rhule, forget Campbel, forget Fitzgerald, and forget the Ravens defensive Coordinator. The only way for Darnold to succeed is if he is coached by a true offensive genius. Goff was horrific in his rookie year. The only reason he has been successful was because Mcvay figured how to hide his limitations. Lawrence doesn't need an offensive genius to make him work while Darnold obviously does. This limits the Jets options to Joe Brady, Dabol,and Monken.

8 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

You can forget about getting the next Matt Rhule, forget Campbel, forget Fitzgerald, and forget the Ravens defensive Coordinator. The only way for Darnold to succeed is if he is coached by a true offensive genius. Goff was horrific in his rookie year. The only reason he has been successful was because Mcvay figured how to hide his limitations. Lawrence doesn't need an offensive genius to make him work while Darnold obviously does. This limits the Jets options to Joe Brady, Dabol,and Monken.

I want to make this clear.  Sticking with Sam is not a foregone conclusion, as I said in my post, which I assume is the basis for this thread.  I said there is a significant chance as of today, but a lot can change from now until the draft (trades, prospects rising, certain coaching candidates wanting their own QB etc.)

I don’t believe Matt Campbell will be the next head coach, but there will be plenty of good candidates available and willing to take this job.  Sam, as I said, is viewed more favorably around the league than most of us think.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

15 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I want to make this clear.  Sticking with Sam is not a foregone conclusion, as I said in my post, which I assume is the basis for this thread.  I said there is a significant chance as of today, but a lot can change from now until the draft (trades, prospects rising, certain coaching candidates wanting their own QB etc.)

I don’t believe Matt Campbell will be the next head coach, but there will be plenty of good candidates available and willing to take this job.  Sam, as I said, is viewed more favorably around the league than most of us think.

It's based on Douglas own words in his mid season press conference. Darnold is the future and he thinks of Darnold the same way as he thought of him before the season started. I fully expect him to endorse Darnold as the 2021 starting QB of the NYJ in the post season press conference.

He needs a lot of serious work to rewire his brain from the poison Adam Gase has been feeding him for 2 years. Getting him back to the level he was at the end of his rookie year would be incredible. Hopefully he is too embarrassed to work out with Jordan Palmer and Josh Allen in the off season. Brian Dabol and Joe Brady need to be the front runners for this job. 

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

There are plenty of good candidates available but when I hear Marvin Lewis and Wink Martindale as candidates I get the feeling we are going to screw this up like we always do.

35 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

It's based on Douglas own words in his mid season press conference. Darnold is the future and he thinks of Darnold the same way as he thought of him before the season started. I fully expect him to endorse Darnold as the 2021 starting QB of the NYJ in the post season press conference.

He needs a lot of serious work to rewire his brain from the poison Adam Gase has been feeding him for 2 years. Getting him back to the level he was at the end of his rookie year would be incredible. Hopefully he is too embarrassed to work out with Jordan Palmer and Josh Allen in the off season. Brian Dabol and Joe Brady need to be the front runners for this job. 

You can’t stick with Darnold and hand him off to a defensive minded head coach. I am personally on board for Brady specifically but it must be a coach who has developed a young QB. If they aren’t going with an offensive head coach they have to move on from Darnold both for the sake of the team and this guys career which has no chance without a top offensive mind to mold him.

• Upvote 2

not for nothing but when walton became head coach he did not give todd the support he did previously when he was the offensive coordinator.  not saying todd should've remained qb but he played much better when he had the coaching support and it didn't come from the head guy.  likewise darnold seemed to play better when bates was the oc.  bowles was more of a ceo type coach as far as the offense was concerned.  the common thread is they hire these coaches from one side of the ball or the other and the coaches favor the side they come from.  that's not what the head coach is supposed to be.  and they shouldn't always be calling the plays from the sidelines.  there are tons of guys who can look at a defensive alignment and pick the right offensive play for the situation.  same thing for the defensive coaches.

5 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Glad you have seen Joe Douglas' draft board between it is finished.

What can you tell us about the second pick in the first round?

5 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

I don't think you can hide someone's limitations. 

I just don’t get it, QBs in this league have been given way shorter rope than Darnit, so I find it hard to believe the league is high on him as everyone likes to believe. I know for me if I had to choose a fresh reset with a top rookie prospect or a 3 year scrub, the answer is obvious. 

There is no way we keep Darnit when we have 3 QBs that would be # 1 overall picks, in drafts that didn’t include each other. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

LOL. The odds are extremely high we do.

What kind of number would you put on it?

Not having the first pick certainly makes it much less of a no-brainer to dump Darnold, but even at #2 all Joe Douglas has to do is determine that any one of Justin Fields, Zach Wilson, Kyle Trask or Mac Jones is an upgrade over Sam and I think he'll pull the trigger.

The problem is that IMO each of those guys has the same boom/bust potential that Darnold has.  None are a slam dunk.

To me it feels like about 60/40 that the Jets draft a QB at #2.  It's very unlikely the Jets are Drafting in the Top 2 again in 2021 (but never say never).

If Mr. Samuel Darnold is to continue on as the starting QB for the New Jersey Jets, his limitations, as noted in a post above, have to be dealt with. They are a certain degree of fragility and a tendency to either fumble or get himself sacked. This can be of minor concern if he's taught to start a 5 second countdown clock running in his head as soon as the ball is snapped. His job is to get rid of the ball, one way or the other, before that clock reaches zero.

Ref: 1st half, Super Bowl III.

Go, Jets!