PK’s Zach Wilson scouting report

37 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Zach Wilson:

(games watched: vs Boise State 2019, vs UTSA 2020, Louisiana Tech 2020, Coastal Carolina 2020, San Diego State 2020, vs Western Kentucky 2020)

Pros:

• Extremely quick release with A+ arm strength.
  • Impressive accuracy on the run and has good touch. Squares hip and fires. 
  • Excellent ball placement on back shoulder throws.
  • Quick enough to beat defenders off the edge and has impressive acceleration for a QB. He actually has an effective cut move he uses frequently.
  • Can throw into tight windows.
  • Ball jolts out of his hand effortlessly.
  • Very solid accuracy all around but super impressive ball placement on deep passes.
  • Good understanding of exposing holes in coverage post-snap.
  • Shows great command of the BYU offense.
  • Shows the ability to step up in the pocket with confidence.
  • Keeps his eyes downfield and is instinctive in the pocket.
  • Impressive pocket escapability and regularly makes off-schedule plays
  • Above average athlete for his position.
  • Confidence, moxie, electric. 
  • Known to be a leader with solid work ethic.
  • Aggressive passer. Gunslinger mentality.
  • Throws effectively from different angles. side arm passes and shovel passes are a regularly used tool from his skill set. 
  • Creative/clever passer in regards to ball placement. Off platform/off balance passes still maintain excellent accuracy.
  • Elite efficiency and decision making.
  • Solid understanding of play action & seems comfortable turning his back to the defense.

Cons:

• Ball can dip early on passes at times(seen this mostly on comeback routes) 
  • I see a few instances where he will hold onto the ball too long.
  • Has a tendency to play “Hero Ball” a bit at times when under pressure.
  • While he does show the ability to step up in the pocket, he also has a tendency to back pedal and that is where he could create a big play or he’ll run into some trouble.
  • two shoulder injuries & lower level of competition.
  • I question his frame by habit but Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield & Russell Wilson have proven it’s possible. He still should look to bulk up for the NFL caliber hits.
  • Needs to slide on scrambles more often. I only seen 3 or 4 instances where he slid.
  • Needs to find pocket consistency.
  • Can be reckless at times when under duress.

Overview:

Zach Wilson has insanely impressive arm talent, he is an above average athlete who’s athleticism easily translates into his play whether it be an impressive RB-like scramble off the edge or flicking his wrist and watching the ball cut through the air like a hot knife through butter. He’s a calculated risk taker through the air and shows good decision making with impressive ball placement from any distance, body angle or throwing angle. He has an electric play style that is equally as efficient because he’s seems to be one of the more well rounded duel threats to come out in recent memory. He has this innate ability to change direction under pressure, flip his body the other way thus creating a more difficult angle to get sacked from and he dodges a lot of free rushers on a consistent basis because of that. Zach Wilson also back pedals at times and makes bad decisions trying to keep the play alive, other times he steps ups confidently and zips it over the middle and right between the numbers. I think he needs to find consistency in the pocket but has so many tools to elude those situations as well as his remarkable decision making, you feel like you can toss him out there and he’ll figure it out as he feels it out. My main concerns with Wilson aren’t as much to do with his play but everything to do with his shoulder injuries. He has stayed healthy all year but you need to be able to count on him to continue this into his pro career.

Player Comparison:

Wilson’s player comp for me is Kyler Murray. Both are excellently well balanced duel threat QB’s who have top notch arm talent and big play ability. Wilson is slightly bigger and a few inches taller but both fit the same mold of QB and skill set.

thanks for taking the time.

as ever we'll hafta wait and see how all these guys turn out...  TLaw, JFields, Zach, Mac,Trask and Trey

remember, 95% JN was overjoyed that Sam "fell to us"... we're set for 15 years, we will have the best QB in the AFCE for a generation!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

thanks for taking the time.

as ever we'll hafta wait and see how all these guys turn out...  TLaw, JFields, Zach, Mac,Trask and Trey

remember, 95% JN was overjoyed that Sam "fell to us"... we're set for 15 years, we will have the best QB in the AFCE for a generation!!!

Appreciate that & agreed, there is definitely going to be a long wait & see process that comes with it. The situations each guy is placed in will be a huge influence. We’ll see where each guy goes. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Zach Wilson:

(games watched: vs Boise State 2019, vs UTSA 2020, Louisiana Tech 2020, Coastal Carolina 2020, San Diego State 2020, vs Western Kentucky 2020)

Pros:

• Quick enough to beat defenders off the edge and has impressive acceleration for a QB. He actually has an effective cut move he uses frequently.
  • Very solid accuracy all around but super impressive ball placement on deep passes.
  • Throws effectively from different angles. side arm passes and shovel passes are a regularly used tool from his skill set. 
  • Creative/clever passer in regards to ball placement. Off platform/off balance passes still maintain excellent accuracy.
  • Solid understanding of play action & seems comfortable turning his back to the defense.

Cons:

• While he does show the ability to step up in the pocket, he also has a tendency to back pedal and that is where he could create a big play or he’ll run into some trouble.
  • I question his frame by habit but Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield & Russell Wilson have proven it’s possible. He still should look to bulk up for the NFL caliber hits.
  • Needs to slide on scrambles more often. I only seen 3 or 4 instances where he slid.

Overview:

Zach Wilson has insanely impressive arm talent, he is an above average athlete who’s athleticism easily translates into his play whether it be an impressive RB-like scramble off the edge or flicking his wrist and watching the ball cut through the air like a hot knife through butter. He’s a calculated risk taker through the air and shows good decision making with impressive ball placement from any distance, body angle or throwing angle. He has an electric play style that is equally as efficient because he’s seems to be one of the more well rounded duel threats to come out in recent memory. He has this innate ability to change direction under pressure, flip his body the other way thus creating a more difficult angle to get sacked from and he dodges a lot of free rushers on a consistent basis because of that. Zach Wilson also back pedals at times and makes bad decisions trying to keep the play alive, other times he steps ups confidently and zips it over the middle and right between the numbers. I think he needs to find consistency in the pocket but has so many tools to elude those situations as well as his remarkable decision making, you feel like you can toss him out there and he’ll figure it out as he feels it out. My main concerns with Wilson aren’t as much to do with his play but everything to do with his shoulder injuries. He has stayed healthy all year but you need to be able to count on him to continue this into his pro career.

Player Comparison:

Wilson’s player comp for me is Kyler Murray. Both are excellently well balanced duel threat QB’s who have top notch arm talent and big play ability. Wilson is slightly bigger and a few inches taller but both fit the same mold of QB and skill set.

Very good writeup but I don't see the comparison to Kyler Murray at all. Wilson is probably 6 inches taller and has a much stronger arm. I see Aaron Rodgers as the best comp if Wilson is developed properly.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Very good writeup but I don't see the comparison to Kyler Murray at all. Wilson is probably 6 inches taller and has a much stronger arm. I see Aaron Rodgers as the best comp if Wilson is developed properly.

Understandable comparison. I see some of ARod’s game in Wilson but I also think Wilson is much more of a rushing threat than Rodgers which led me to make a Kyler comp.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Appreciate that & agreed, there is definitely going to be a long wait & see process that comes with it. The situations each guy is placed in will be a huge influence. We’ll see where each guy goes. 

for ultimate success, situation will play a big part...   but look at Burrow and Herbert...   they look/looked very good in bad situs.

3 minutes ago, Pennington said:

I agree he reminds me a lot of Aaraon Rodgers.  I am not too concerned about the labrum injuries. From what I read they were not associated with a dislocated shoulder and the one on his right shoulder is clearly full healed and unlikely to recur. Shoulder surgeries have improved to the point that some athletes proactively have labrum and tommy john surgeries before they are injured.

The only negative I see on him is the backpaddle in reaction to pressure up the middle. That can be coached. His arm strength, accuracy, release quickness all really cannot be. People say "oh he's throwing to wide open receivers", well I see NFL QBs wildly missing wide open receivers all the time. 

He is a gunslinger that does not turn over the ball.

If he grades out through the draft process like he should I just cant see the Jets ultimately passing on him and being that stubborn about Sam.

Also in terms of height one thing I have noticed is that if you have two people of exactly the same height and one has long legs and the other is 50/50 balanced you will think the long legged one is taller. When you see him around other players he does seem to be in that 6'2 to 6'3 range. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

People say "oh he's throwing to wide open receivers", well I see NFL QBs wildly missing wide open receivers all the time. 

I’ve seen a ton of NFL caliber throws despite some of them being wide open. Make no mistake he can really fit it in any window he wants no matter how tight that window may be. His arm talent is that good.

• Upvote 4

His frame is nothing like Murray/Wilson even Baker is  thick by comparison.

I really really don’t get the Kyler Murray comp. Murray is an elite athlete that has 4.3 speed  and is a true dual threat QB. 

my comp is Johnny Manziel 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Zach Wilson:

Pros:

Cons:

Overview:

Player Comparison:

Great breakdown.

Only two comments.  Kid needs to stop giving his body up.  Think it was the Coastal Carolina game.  he tried to hurdle a defensive player.  A QB just can't be doing that in the NFL.  I'm sure a good coach will get that crazyness out of him.

A negative I have heard about him, (not by you)  is that he's always throwing to wide open WR's.  From what I've been seeing it's not that all his receivers are always open, it's that he seems to have excellent field vison.  If there's one receiver open, he'll find them quickly, and has the arm strength to get them the ball.

How many times this year have we seen a Jets WR open, and Sam goes to the wrong  player with the ball.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, QB1 said:

His frame is nothing like Murray/Wilson even Baker is  thick by comparison.

I really really don’t get the Kyler Murray comp. Murray is an elite athlete that has 4.3 speed  and is a true dual threat QB. 

my comp is Johnny Manziel 

Zach Wilson is 209lbs, Kyler Murray is 207lbs, Baker is 209lbs and Russ Wilson is 206lbs.

I really really don’t get what you’re saying here.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Zach Wilson is 209lbs, Kyler Murray is 207lbs, Baker is 209lbs and Russ Wilson is 206lbs.

Manziel was only 6'

His build shouldn;t be an issue...   look at LJ. basically same build give or take 1"  2 or 3 lbs

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Murray is 207 at 5”9, that’s like being 250 at Wilson’s height. With 4.3 speed.

Baker is also 3 inches shorter than Wilson, so a 225 equivalent at Wilson’s height 

i really really don’t get what you’re seeing 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Manziel was only 6'

His build shouldn;t be an issue...   look at LJ. basically same build give or take 1"  2 or 3 lbs

Precisely. LJ is only 3lbs heavier than Wilson. Which as it pertains to taking hits...there isn’t a difference at all. People will try to point out his frame as an issue because of his injuries but in reality he has the same build as the last 4-5 guys that have come out & been successful.

• Upvote 1

Just now, QB1 said:

Murray is 207 at 5”9, that’s like being 250 at Wilson’s height 

Baker is also 3 inches shorter than Wilson 

i really really don’t get what you’re seeing 

Ehh more like 2 inches shorter. Wilson is probably more like 6’2. Either way, it seems like you’re splitting hairs here because you don’t like him as a prospect. 3 inches and a few pounds in difference is a weird hill to die on if you ask me.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Precisely. LJ is only 3lbs heavier than Wilson. Which as it pertains to taking hits...there isn’t a difference at all. People will try to point out his frame as an issue because of his injuries but in reality he has the same build as the last 4-5 guys that have come out & been successful.

his injuries are like 2 yrs old as well, right?

https://universe.byu.edu/2019/06/18/zach-wilson-explains-shoulder-injuries-on-media-day/

Lamar jackson is an extremely tightly wound athlete, all muscle. He’s like an elite WR playing QB. He is much stronger than Wilson.

Wilson is like like teddy bridge water with an absolutely reckless play style. Did you see him trying to hurdle someone for no reason vs coastal Carolina? He does that all the time, shows terrible judgment in that regard.

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

Yes. His last injury was one to his thumb. The shoulder injuries are about 2 years old. Both shoulders have been battle tested for quite some time since then.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Ehh more like 2 inches shorter. Wilson is probably more like 6’2. Either way, it seems like you’re splitting hairs here because you don’t like him as a prospect. 3 inches and a few pounds in difference is a weird hill to die on if you ask me.

No more you’re like trying to justify a huge flaw because you want to believe he is something he isn’t. Guy does not have an NFL body and is fragile. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, QB1 said:

Lamar jackson is an extremely tightly wound athlete. He’s mine an elite WR playing QB. He is much stronger than Wilson.

Wilson is like like teddy bridge water with an absolutely reckless play style. Did you see him trying to hurdle someone for no reason vs coastal Carolina? He does that all the time, shows terrible judgment in that regard.

Except he doesn’t do it all the time? I’m confident I’ve now watched just as much tape on him than anyone else. You’re pressing to make a point with exaggerations. Also, Wilson’s arm is 10x stronger than Bridgewater, plays with an entire different play style than Bridgewater & is a completely different player from Bridgewater.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, QB1 said:

No more you’re like trying to justify a huge flaw because you want to believe he is something he isn’t. Guy does not have an NFL body and is fragile. 

Making draft picks & trying to predict who will be injury prone and who won’t is a terrible idea. A college player can go his whole college career with no injuries and then start getting hurt every other year as a pro. (Carson Wentz?) & a player who had a shoulder surgery in college can go on to never face a serious injury in his pro career. It’s kind of a ridiculous thought process. You can’t guess these kinds of things and a 2-4 pound difference in LJ and Wilson is enough evidence to put that goofy narrative to sleep. 

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Making draft picks & trying to predict who will be injury prone and who won’t is a terrible idea. A college player can go his whole college career with no injuries and then start getting hurt every other year as a pro. (Carson Wentz?) & a player who had a shoulder surgery in college can go on to never face a serious injury in his pro career. It’s kind of a ridiculous thought process. You can’t guess these kinds of things and a 2-4 pound difference in LJ and Wilson is enough evidence to put that goofy narrative to sleep. 

You don’t seem to understand how the human body works. Look at Lamar jackson’s neck. He may have the same listed weight as Wilson but it’s a completely different level of build and strength. 

image.jpeg.801b878bae75ce46eab4283fb8b2f208.jpeg

• Haha 1