Jump to content

PK’s Zach Wilson scouting report


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Zach Wilson: (games watched: vs Boise State 2019, vs UTSA 2020, Louisiana Tech 2020, Coastal Carolina 2020, San Diego State 2020, vs Western Kentucky 2020) Pros: Extremely quick rele

Wilson is a legit talent. Of course you want Trevor Lawrence if you could take anyone available, but I see eye popping arm talent, above average scramble ability, disciplined mechanics, lightning fast

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Wilson also nearly orchestrated a beautiful comeback victory at the end of that game.

Yep,  35 seconds left in the game, 2nd and 19 at BYU's 8.  Had to drive 92 yards in 35 seconds for the win.  Got 91 yards.  DB's made a great play.  I was very impressed.  Up to that game I still wanted Fields.  

Fields is going to have to have a BIG game against Clemson to change my mind 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Walter Football he’s gonna suck because his uncle is Uber rich.  
 

Owns or founded JetBlue airlines. 
 

Do the Jets still have sponsorship ties with JetBlue?

It all fits now, the Jets beat the Rams so they could draft the sponsors nephew. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Wilson’s ball placement consistency > Trevor Lawrence’s. 
 

with that said of course I’d pick Lawrence over anyone else. That ship has likely sailed and it was time for me to accept that. I don’t see Wilson or Fields as JAG QB’s though. They both have plenty of upside imo. We can still get a talented passer in this draft.

“up side”, sign me up..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2020 at 5:09 PM, Greenseed4 said:

I guess it depends on if you’re spending a #2 pick on a guy you want to start right away, or a guy you want to develop on the bench/weight room for a year. 

All of these guys get stronger once they get to the pros. If he's drafted in April, I bet he puts on some muscle/weight by the first pre-season game without any issues. 10lbs? 5lbs? Not sure what he can handle losing quickness in the pocket. His agent will probably have him working on this by the combine.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I don’t know much about Wilson. But last year he threw like 11 TDs and 9 INTs. Has not played any top college teams and looks small, thin build has a pencil neck. Why is he being considered at #2 overall?  Other than he plays QB and everyone want a franchise QB. But seriously why is he worth the gamble when we can go with a sure thing franchise LT or trade down to get more picks and fill some of our many needs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kenny said:

Honestly, I don’t know much about Wilson. But last year he threw like 11 TDs and 9 INTs. Has not played any top college teams and looks small, thin build has a pencil neck. Why is he being considered at #2 overall?  Other than he plays QB and everyone want a franchise QB. But seriously why is he worth the gamble when we can go with a sure thing franchise LT or trade down to get more picks and fill some of our many needs. 

Probably the 33 TDs, 3 Ints, with only 4 Interceptable balls thrown all year in addition to having the strongest arm in CFB. Oh and 10 rushing TDs. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kenny said:

Honestly, I don’t know much about Wilson. But last year he threw like 11 TDs and 9 INTs. Has not played any top college teams and looks small, thin build has a pencil neck. Why is he being considered at #2 overall?  Other than he plays QB and everyone want a franchise QB. But seriously why is he worth the gamble when we can go with a sure thing franchise LT or trade down to get more picks and fill some of our many needs. 

Have you actually watched him play? Also he is not that small. He is incredibly talented as a QB. To my eye one of the most impressve I have ever seen, he has a cannon, a release like Rodgers and incredible accuracy. And he does not turn over the ball.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Kid is going to do great in the interview, and white board process.  Also has great game tape.  Only concern is his body type.

I'd take him right now

Just has to learn to slide. QB’s are incredibly protected in today’s NFL. 
he’s the guy. So fluid from running to throwing. Just comes natural to him. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Just has to learn the slide. QB’s are incredibly protected in today’s NFL. 
he’s the guy. So fluid from running to throwing. Just comes natural to him. 

i agree, but when I saw him try to hurdle a defensive player in the Coastal Carolina game........Yikes, ya can't do that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Kid is going to do great in the interview, and white board process.  Also has great game tape.  Only concern is his body type.

I'd take him right now

Yeah unless he somehow weighs 175 pounds at the combine, he is going to rocket up the rankings and he should. I have watched like 8 game tapes of him and each one seems like a season highlight film not a game "tape". Perfect throw after perfect throw. Also, people don't realize that his coach largely shuts him down in 2nd halves. So his  yardage totals are not as gaudy as they could be. I am not really concerned about his injuries. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, flgreen said:

i agree, but when I saw him try to hurdle a defensive player in the Coastal Carolina game........Yikes, ya can't do that.  

Yeah. I was watching with a friend the other day. A few times I looked and said -he got first down there, but he’s out 3-5 weeks in the NFL on that run. 
but it seems all these young QB’s that ran everywhere in college are sliding at the right time in the NFL. 

it’s definitely a concern but not nearly as big a one had it been even 3 years ago. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Have you actually watched him play? Also he is not that small. He is incredibly talented as a QB. To my eye one of the most impressve I have ever seen, he has a cannon, a release like Rodgers and incredible accuracy. And he does not turn over the ball.

Also the footwork and fundamentals look sound...seen him thread so many passes into tiny windows and he’s constantly having to hit guys who are covered...contrast that with Lawrence who’s always got someone wide open and seems to make a lot of quick, short passes

The injury history cannot be overlooked and he’s not got prototype size like a Josh Allen or Justin Herbert but he’ll likely measure plenty good enough 

there’s much analysis still to go but at this point give me Wilson all day long 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Coming back to my own thread to double down on the kid. I just got down sinking my teeth into some other games and man.. there really isn’t many flaws in his game.

He’s by far the most impressive QB when you look at how he plays, but the injury history and his size plus the age-old question of quality of opponents and whether he can translate to the NFL are relevant.

Having said that, Drew Brees is 5-11  and Brett Favre played at Southern Miss....talent will overcome those ‘questions’ and he sure appears to have the necessary talent 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Is that you coming around to Wilson? If so welcome to the club. We’ll accept you with open arms.

I’ve never been anti. Just not sure about #2 pick because of his injury history and frankly his background. But I like what I see in that video, assuming that it wasn’t staged. He will blow people away in interviews if that was him talking from the hip. I’ve said in many other posts that I think we should Draft a QB high and let him sit behind Sam next year. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Also the footwork and fundamentals look sound...seen him thread so many passes into tiny windows and he’s constantly having to hit guys who are covered...contrast that with Lawrence who’s always got someone wide open and seems to make a lot of quick, short passes

The injury history cannot be overlooked and he’s not got prototype size like a Josh Allen or Justin Herbert but he’ll likely measure plenty good enough 

there’s much analysis still to go but at this point give me Wilson all day long 

I have a theory on the impression of his size. 

Think of this: you can take a 5'5" female model and if she has like 36" legs she will look really tall.

Proportion affects our perception of height.

People that have even proportions between legs and torso just look smaller.

This is the same with Wilson. I think he is noticeably bigger than Wilson, Brees, Murray to me eyes.

Plus he will likely get some more bulk to him with NFL training.

He has had the two labrums but I am less concerned than if he was constantly getting ankles and hamstrings and other injuries all the time. Does not seem to be the case. Brees has done fine for more than a decade with a far far worse labrum injury.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I have a theory on the impression of his size. 

Think of this: you can take a 5'5" female model and if she has like 36" legs she will look really tall.

Proportion affects our perception of height.

People that have even proportions between legs and torso just look smaller.

This is the same with Wilson. I think he is noticeably bigger than Wilson, Brees, Murray to me eyes.

Plus he will likely get some more bulk to him with NFL training.

He has had the two labrums but I am less concerned than if he was constantly getting ankles and hamstrings and other injuries all the time. Does not seem to be the case. Brees has done fine for more than a decade with a far far worse labrum injury.

With regard to his size, he’s listed as 6-3 210, he’s probably 6-2 but that’s plenty good enough...he actually reminds me a bit of Darnold in terms of size but I think Wilson is actually a bit stockier...I was convinced Sam was smaller than he was listed in college but turns out he was indeed 6-3 220....so yes I get your theory with size perception.
Look at Wilson in the huddle and he doesn’t appear to be appreciably small compared to everyone around him 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...