Jaguars do what Joe Douglas and Chris Johnson were to cowardly to do. Glennon is named starter vs Bears. Update James Robinson to miss game as well.

Jetsbb

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

How does the fan base push back against what’s clearly wrong? People are legit advocating for Marvin Lewis. It’s hard to win when the fans buy the BS ownership is selling. 

They sold firing Maccagnan was gonna change everything and now everybody is lining up to buy firing Gase is gonna change everything. These people like soap operas and Sammy. If they were interested in football maybe the Johnsons would sell that.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You start the QB the GM drafted in the 4th friggin round to get him snaps while also securing the tank. It’s not that hard. The majority of this roster isn’t going to be back anyways. The team BLOWS. The entire defense aside from Williams is going to be replaced sooner or later. I’m sorry, but hurt feelings of millionaire athletes...they’ll get over it. The Jets will never get over losing out on Lawerence.

I remember the outrage of some when the Jets "blew' their chance at Marcus Mariota.

Super Bowls have been won without Trevor Lawrence, somehow. Will the Jets need to get their act together in doing that? Of course. But they would have had to any way.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Drums said:

I wish this game was today. If the Jags lose this week I am going to root for the Jets to win at this point. Why not? If we're not getting TL, I want Sam and the team to play well

You can start rooting. Jags ain’t winning sh*t this year. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

With Glennon they almost beat the Vikings, and barely lost 2 of 3. Not sure how this is tanking?

It’s because people look at Minshew’s stat sheet from last week and automatically assume he played well.  The Jaguars didn’t score a single point until midway through the 3rd quarter when they were down 26 points.  I watched the game.  He was absolutely abysmal until garbage time.  

Look, I don’t think they’re going to win with either guy, but Glennon had them in games that they had no business being in.  He can definitely pull off an upset.  The gap between the two is small.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

Jets cook their goose by blowing shot at a Duck -- Marcus Mariota

Dec 15, 2014
  •  

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The New York Jets screwed up. They won.

They outlasted the equally inept Tennessee Titans on Sunday in the Mariota Bowl, 16-11, delivering a significant blow to the "Suck for the Duck" campaign. The Jets showed heart and fight, as Geno (Pro Bowl flashes) Smith rallied them with a fourth-quarter comeback -- his first in a calendar year.

A touchdown by Delanie Walker on Sunday's final play would have helped the Jets' chances of landing the NFL draft's top pick. AP Photo/James Kenney

Oh, they almost blew it in the final seconds, nearly surrendering a 2014 version of the Music City Miracle -- a cruel tease for the segment of their fan base that wanted them to lose to maintain their chances of landing the No. 1 overall pick. Dawan Landry saved (ruined?) the day, tackling Delanie Walker at the 9-yard line after a pass and three laterals covered 49 yards.

If the victory ends up costing them a chance to draft Oregon's Marcus Mariota, and he ends up as the NFL's Next Great Quarterback, masochistic Jets fans (is there another kind?) will remember the Landry tackle as one of those what-if moments that changed history. Like picking Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino in '83. Like getting blown off by Peyton Manning in '97. You know the history; no need to dredge it up.

"I just used the sideline as my friend, and I got him out of bounds," said Landry, happily recounting the play.

Those dreaming of a "Duck Dynasty" probably were rooting for the Stanford band to show up, hoping it would distract the Jets enough to allow Walker to find the end zone. Hoping the Jets would lose on the final play of the game for the second week in a row. No such luck. For a change, they actually made a play.

It was a costly win. Instead of moving up to third in the draft order, the Jets -- fourth at the start of the day -- dropped to sixth, behind three or four other teams that will be in the quarterback market. They have a 0.02 percent chance of getting the top pick, according to numberFire.com. If they lose out and finish 3-13, the only way to get Mariota -- or perhaps Jameis Winston, for that matter -- would be to pay a huge price to trade up.

"Tough you-know-what," said Rex Ryan, commenting on the paradox of having fans root for them to lose. "A real Jets fan wants to win. It doesn't matter what pick you get or whatever. If it were Peyton Manning out there, I could understand it, but I don't think Peyton Manning is out there."

Ryan is right about that. The early consensus on Mariota is that he's not among the bluest of blue-chip prospects, a la Andrew Luck. Mariota is talented, yes, but he's not a plug-and-play quarterback. Winston is a bigger question mark because of his off-the-field baggage.

Then again, when you're hurting at quarterback -- when you haven't had a franchise player at the position since Joe Namath -- every possibility looks good. Heck, two years ago, the fans were clamoring for Smith to replace Mark Sanchez. Desperation makes an 8 look like a perfect 10. In bar-room vernacular, the Jets are wearing beer goggles.

Smith admitted last week he was offended by the Mariota chatter. He also caught major flak for saying he has "shown flashes of being a Pro Bowl quarterback" -- an ill-advised comment. But you know what? He played a solid game, overcoming an early safety and finishing with his sixth turnover-free game in 27 career starts. He rallied the Jets to two touchdowns in the second half, showing mettle after a literal punch to the face, courtesy of Titans defensive end Jurrell Casey.

Then again, it took Smith & Co. 40 minutes to reach the end zone against the NFL's 30th-ranked defense, so let's hold the parade.

"I thought Geno was poised and made some great plays," said Ryan, almost giddy in his postgame news conference.Smith is trying to stay in the Jets' quarterback plans for 2015. Of course, the people who will be making the decisions might not be on the payroll yet. There will be big changes in the offseason, starting with Ryan, who doesn't give a hoot about a draft pick. Neither do his players.

"We're paid to win games," center Nick Mangold said. "Unfortunately, we haven't been doing a good job of that this year, but there's nothing that's going to stop us from trying."

Defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson took umbrage with the mere suggestion that some fans want the Jets to lose.

"They're not fans, bro," he said. "They're not my fans, so stop saying that."

Thing is, it won't stop. It won't stop until they find a quarterback, until we know -- years from now -- if Sunday was the worst win in Jets history.

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Winning the Rams game will go down in Jets history as one of the worst things this franchise has ever done. And that’s saying something...

The Jets shouldn’t have been winless heading into that game. It is what it is. No professional player is laying down unless they’re trying to fix the game for themselves. And to be honest the Jets are probably a better team than the Jaguars talent wise. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It’s because people look at Minshew’s stat sheet from last week and automatically assume he played well.  The Jaguars didn’t score a single point until midway through the 3rd quarter when they were down 26 points.  I watched the game.  He was absolutely abysmal until garbage time.  

Look, I don’t think they’re going to win with either guy, but Glennon had them in games that they had no business being in.  He can definitely pull off an upset.  The gap between the two is small.

I disagree.

The gap is bigger than you realize (which is why Jax is going with Glennon over Minshew; for Trevor Lawrence). 

Minshew 2020: 16 TDs/5 INTs, 66.1% completion percentage and a QB Rating of 95.9 (252 passing yards per game).

Glennon 2020: 3 TDs/3 INTs, 61.0% completion percentage and a QB Rating of 75.4 (200 passing yards per game). 

Minshew has 7 NFL wins as a 2nd year player. 

Glennon has 6 NFL wins as a 7th year player. 

I actually had a lot of hope that Minshew and Jax could upset the Bears; but I've pretty much lost all hope now that Glennon is playing...

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

man f this team. Douglas had an opportunity and he blew it. Props to Jacksonville for at least having a vision and giving the fans what they want.

Douglas has ZERO say on who starts, that’s Gase’s baby.

blame the owner. He could have stepped in but he loves Gase or Gase has pictures of CJ in bed with hookers or something down that road.

anyway, we would have beaten the Pats so maybe it’s all for the better that it happened last week.

44 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I remember the outrage of some when the Jets "blew' their chance at Marcus Mariota.

Super Bowls have been won without Trevor Lawrence, somehow. Will the Jets need to get their act together in doing that? Of course. But they would have had to any way.

This fan base is losing its mind. Glennon actually has played AGAINST the Bears defense in practice. I'm sure he understands those nuances. Minshaw sucked! I watched the game he played & after sitting out so long he was way off. They both suck, but this idea that starting Morgan would be the same as the Jags starting Glennon over Minshew is laughable. 

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

The Jets shouldn’t have been winless heading into that game. It is what it is. No professional player is laying down unless they’re trying to fix the game for themselves. And to be honest the Jets are probably a better team than the Jaguars talent wise. 

Exactly. Losing TL blows but Nick Folk who by the way missed every FG we ever needed to either beat or Tie the Patriots from over 50 yards, MAKES a 51 yarder against us to win it for the Patriots & the Raiders was a complete fluke game, just look at all if the Raiders faces after that TD, they snagged victory from sure defeat. Just a strange year. My good friend is a Miami Hurricanes fan & he think Lawrence is being blown up WAY TOO HIGH and that Clemson will be the best 22 players relative to the competition that he'll EVER play with in Jacksonville. Projecting greatness is scary business, just ask the Raiders who drafted Jamarcus Russell. Obviously 2 different characters but predicting GREATNESS for Trevor? We're talking GREATNESS here. That's some lofty sh*t when your talking about the NFL & players that have come before him. Would I love the chance for the Jets to find out? Of course, but there are many more ways to skin a cat, ask Buffalo, San Diego, Miami, Green Bay, Houston, Seattle, Ravens, who all found QBs without picking #1 overall. Hell, Jets effed up with Watson (no brainer). Let's hope JD has a plan. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

After the Raiders scare we should have went full tank with James Morgan. It would have been embarrassing and disrespectful to the other Jets players bc apparently he doesn’t belong anywhere near an NFL field at the moment. But a month full of shame would have been worth it.

Cheers to the Jags for going all in here. 

Where do you get this BS? Jets  did not say this and who knows how Morgan would play.

This thread is one of the lamest ever.

39 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This fan base is losing its mind. Glennon actually has played AGAINST the Bears defense in practice. I'm sure he understands those nuances. Minshaw sucked! I watched the game he played & after sitting out so long he was way off. They both suck, but this idea that starting Morgan would be the same as the Jags starting Glennon over Minshew is laughable. 

Your honestly going to use this argument? He practiced against the bears defense in 2017? Did they even have the same HC back then? Because I know Pagano was not their DC 

Darnold was about to set some type of record for pass attempts without a TD. They could have benched him without blinking an eye

15 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Your honestly going to use this argument? He practiced against the bears defense in 2017? Did they even have the same HC back then? Because I know Pagano was not their DC 

Darnold was about to set some type of record for pass attempts without a TD. They could have benched him without blinking an eye

Minshew or Glennon? Who really f*cking cares? I watched 3 games the Jags could have won & they blew each 1 of them in Jettastic ways! It was literally like watching Jets games! Missed opportunities, can't get off the field in critical 3rd downs, missed Xtra points! Killer back breaking penalties. 

At this point I'm like f*ck it! The Redneck Tarzan is going to Jacksonville. An NFL franchise that was probably slated by Goodell as the London Jaguars. The thing that bothers me the most was the media starting to talk about going to a lottery because of the Jets ect. That sh*t pissed me off more than anything! Browns in 2018? Crickets. Now that the Jaguars are back in the #1 spot...crickets! If the Rams lose the division to Seattle because of that Jet loss & get bumped 1st game of the playoffs, THATS more embarrassing than Jets going 1-15. The Rams lost to the Jets! At home! After a bye! That's could be the biggest loss of the season for any team.

• Upvote 1