Robert Saleh should get serious consideration (I know...offense, offense, bla bla bla!)

jetstream23

24 minutes ago, Joejet said:

I would definitely take him if he could bring McDaniel with him as OC.

This is the key. McDaniel is legit, hes worked with Kyle Shanahan in Washington, Atlanta and SF and would bring the zone offense with motion/play action that we will need with a young QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

IMO I don’t care if it’s offense or defense when it comes to coordinators. Sean McDermott is all about his defense but has developed one of the more raw QB prospects to step into the league in a while. 

I know we’re scarred by Rex and Bowles but I don’t think it matters. A great HC is a great HC regardless of what side of the ball they come from. I think I actually prefer defensive guys

I'm not scarred by Rex.  His first two years were some of the most fun years I'v had as a fan.   They ran out of talent, bad QB, his act got old

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

No offense to @bla bla bla of course. :D 

Robert Saleh has been talked about for several years as an up-and-coming HC candidate but I'm really starting to pay attention now.  The 49ers have had a rough year, at 5-9 won't be in the playoffs, lost multiple starters and probably their best defender in Nick Bosa.....but Saleh once again has his unit playing hard, playing well and competing.  He's not just a "defensive mind" in my opinion, I think he's a leader of men and if he were able to assemble a good coaching staff with a top OC I'd have no problem giving this guy a shot as Head Coach of the NYJ.

Big rumors that Detroit wants him right now and he grew up in Michigan.  I don't know if he goes there or not, but this guy is going to be a NFL head coach probably as soon as 2021.  Has done well and gotten better everywhere he's gone working under Gus Bradley, Gary Kubiak, Pete Carroll and now Kyle Shanahan.  As far as I know he's had no head coaching experience but he's been climbing the ladder and seems ready for a shot.

He's on my list of coaches to look into haha I have an Eric Bieniemy video I'm editing right now! My biggest fear with Saleh is that we lose our OC that is supposed to be helping Sam or the new QB if they have any kind of success. If you make the offensive mind the HC then they can't be snatched up.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Or.... just get a hot OC to work under him?

Pete Carroll isn't an offensive guy, nor is Mike Vrabel in Tennessee, or John Harbaugh in Baltimore.  Same with Sean McDermott in Buffalo.....those are 4 of the Top 8 scoring teams in the NFL.

Why does the Head Coach have to be an offensive guy?

doesnt haveto be...  but we still need a competent OC

mentioned this is the game thread for today.

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

I know we’re scarred by Rex and Bowles but I don’t think it matters. A great HC is a great HC regardless of what side of the ball they come from. I think I actually prefer defensive guys

yeah those 2 AFC champ games Rex got us to really scarred me. LOL

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

He's on my list of coaches to look into haha I have an Eric Bieniemy video I'm editing right now! My biggest fear with Saleh is that we lose our OC that is supposed to be helping Sam or the new QB if they have any kind of success. If you make the offensive mind the HC then they can't be snatched up.

Yeah, but that's a good problem to have.  If the Jets OC does such an amazing job with Darnold that he gets a HC opportunity then I'm fine with that.  Can't really think of a Jets coordinator recently that got plucked and elevated by another team, can you?  If anything, it's Jets HC's that get demoted like Bowles going back down to being a coordinator after being a HC.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Yeah, but that's a good problem to have.  If the Jets OC does such an amazing job with Darnold that he gets a HC opportunity then I'm fine with that.  Can't really think of a Jets coordinator recently that got plucked and elevated by another team, can you?  If anything, it's Jets HC's that get demoted like Bowles going back down to being a coordinator after being a HC.

What competent HC, OC combo would come here to fix Darnold when they could mold and start over with a fresh QB or a Watson, Herbert, Lawrence etc. Even Field’s and Wilson would be more appealing 

• Thumb Down 1

11 hours ago, flgreen said:

There might be 6-7 teams looking for HC's this off season. The QB situation is going to be one of the biggest draws to getting a good HC.    I'm not sure Darnold starting is going to be a big draw for a guy who wants a future.

Saleh may be interested in the Jets for 2 reasons:

1. $$$

2. Opportunity to work with Quinnen Williams who may end up having a better career than Bosa

• Upvote 1

No, has to be an offensive centric guy if we are going hot coordinator route.
Why? If you want a super powered offense you don't need an offensive genius head coach...you need a head coach who selects a decent coordinator who can build around the player talent that you have. Ideally your head coach should have some knowledge of all three phases of football and trust his coordinators to make the right calls most of the time

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Depends when they get plucked haha we've been so bad it hasn't been an issue. I think Schotty was the last time we would have had a coordinator that looked desirable.

• Upvote 1