Robert Saleh should get serious consideration (I know...offense, offense, bla bla bla!)

jetstream23

13 hours ago, freestater said:

If we're going to go the DC route, I'd rather have Jack Del Rio. Already comes with HC experience, has decades of contacts in the league, did s good job bringing Derek Carr along. 

I also like Jack Del Rio and agree that he has done a good job in a couple of places.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2020 at 3:13 AM, oatmeal said:

What competent HC, OC combo would come here to fix Darnold when they could mold and start over with a fresh QB or a Watson, Herbert, Lawrence etc. Even Field’s and Wilson would be more appealing 

New York... Huge Fanbase and great $$$ potential beyond your contract.

• Upvote 1

On 12/26/2020 at 6:23 PM, jetstream23 said:

No offense to @bla bla bla of course. :D 

Robert Saleh has been talked about for several years as an up-and-coming HC candidate but I'm really starting to pay attention now.  The 49ers have had a rough year, at 5-9 won't be in the playoffs, lost multiple starters and probably their best defender in Nick Bosa.....but Saleh once again has his unit playing hard, playing well and competing.  He's not just a "defensive mind" in my opinion, I think he's a leader of men and if he were able to assemble a good coaching staff with a top OC I'd have no problem giving this guy a shot as Head Coach of the NYJ.

Big rumors that Detroit wants him right now and he grew up in Michigan.  I don't know if he goes there or not, but this guy is going to be a NFL head coach probably as soon as 2021.  Has done well and gotten better everywhere he's gone working under Gus Bradley, Gary Kubiak, Pete Carroll and now Kyle Shanahan.  As far as I know he's had no head coaching experience but he's been climbing the ladder and seems ready for a shot.

Well done Stream

• Upvote 4

@jetstream23 Jumping the gun a little? 

A ideal situation for Robert if he’s bringing in a system similar to the 49ers would be a vet QB who knows the system already. Seems like the perfect situation to Sign or trade for a vet, have a rookie sit a year and trade darnold for resources imo. 

but fully expect him to sing darnolds praises in his opening press conference 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Jumping the gun a little? 

A ideal situation for Robert if he’s bringing in a system similar to the 49ers would be a vet QB who knows the system already. Seems like the perfect situation to Sign or trade for a vet, have a rookie sit a year and trade darnold for resources imo. 

My current guess is that Darnold is back next year, but it's way too early to tell. 

Let's just enjoy landing a highly sought after HC candidate for a few days. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

My current guess is that Darnold is back next year, but it's way too early to tell. 

Let's just enjoy landing a highly sought after HC candidate for a few days. 

Yup, let's put it this way.  I trust Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh (who game planned against Darnold in Week 2) and LaFleur (if that's who we hire as OC) to make the right call on moving forward or cutting bait with Sam Darnold.

Those will be the three amigos making the determination.  If we don't believe in those guys leading the Jets now then it really doesn't matter if Darnold is here or not because we'll be screwed.

• Upvote 3

[mention=9125]jetstream23[/mention] Jumping the gun a little? 

Darnold played in a Shanahan system under Jeremy Bates his rookie year.
  • Upvote 3

Robert Saleh has been talked about for several years as an up-and-coming HC candidate but I'm really starting to pay attention now.  The 49ers have had a rough year, at 5-9 won't be in the playoffs, lost multiple starters and probably their best defender in Nick Bosa.....but Saleh once again has his unit playing hard, playing well and competing.  He's not just a "defensive mind" in my opinion, I think he's a leader of men and if he were able to assemble a good coaching staff with a top OC I'd have no problem giving this guy a shot as Head Coach of the NYJ.

Big rumors that Detroit wants him right now and he grew up in Michigan.  I don't know if he goes there or not, but this guy is going to be a NFL head coach probably as soon as 2021.  Has done well and gotten better everywhere he's gone working under Gus Bradley, Gary Kubiak, Pete Carroll and now Kyle Shanahan.  As far as I know he's had no head coaching experience but he's been climbing the ladder and seems ready for a shot.

Take a victory lap!

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Take a victory lap!

Ha!  I didn't make a call that Saleh would be the guy, I simply said he's a guy I wanted.  I'm glad it happened!

I'm hoping that Saleh is all the good parts of Rex Ryan (the energy, the confidence, players running thru walls for him, defensive mind, etc.) without all the bad (ego, too much talk without delivering, ignorance of offense and not being a coach of the whole team, off-field stuff in the news, etc.)  We haven't had an identity since Rex.  The team lost itself and its direction under Bowles, Gase and Maccagnan.  I don't know how many games the Jets will win but what I will guarantee is that they'll have an identity. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Ha!  I didn't make a call that Saleh would be the guy, I simply said he's a guy I wanted.  I'm glad it happened!

I'm hoping that Saleh is all the good parts of Rex Ryan (the energy, the confidence, players running thru walls for him, defensive mind, etc.) without all the bad (ego, too much talk without delivering, ignorance of offense and not being a coach of the whole team, off-field stuff in the news, etc.)  We haven't had an identity since Rex.  The team lost itself and its direction under Bowles, Gase and Maccagnan.  I don't know how many games the Jets will win but what I will guarantee is that they'll have an identity. 

Is the foot stuff on the good list or bad list? 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

For your next “suggestion” please - the Jets should be heading to the super bowl by 20xx and winners by 20xx. Thank you. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1