Mike Tannenbaum and Bart Scott advocate on "get up" to roll it back with Sam Darnold for 2021

Jetsbb

2 minutes ago, heymangold said:

A new HC isn’t going to want to tie his first season here to the sinking SS SAM.  If he does and Sam does a Sam, said coach will get MAYBE 1 year more after that.

And that’s what it’ll come down to- and rightfully so. If the new coach thinks he can fix Sam. He stays. If they say no.. He goes. This is what I mean by rightfully so. 
If keeping Sam is a must per JD and ownership- they will seriously limit their options. The decision needs to be made by JD and the new coach and no one else.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Gibby said:

And that’s what it’ll come down to- and rightfully so. If the new coach thinks he can fix Sam. He stays. If they say no.. He goes. This is what I mean by rightfully so. 
If keeping Sam is a must per JD and ownership- they will seriously limit their options. The decision needs to be made by JD and the new coach and no one else.

The job will be toxic if it's tied to Sam. It be Gase all over again.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

we all wanted Trevor, and are sick of Sam. but this is not what we do. none of us are football guys. Trevor was easy cause EVERYONE said so. maybe JD isnt sold on Fields and the others. maybe he feels like not wasting the pick on a QB this year and put some more talent around this team. we might sign a decent FA QB. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Man, the current Jets FO might think this is the way to go, but I just can't see this being the way things go. 

If we are going to get a top tier HC, they will want to select their QB at 1 or 2, just like KK did.

Even if they think Sam can be rescued, they won't want to bet their career on it.

If the Jets are insistent on this we will wind up with a really bottom tier HC candidate that we can dictate things to. Someone like Marvin Lewis.

Mind you the Jets really ARE this dumb/

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

They will have hired a coach by mid to late january. The jets won’ t have even decided their plan for Sam by then, the work on the draft and free agency will be in early stages. The coach they hire will be part of free agency and draft discussions, and won’t be told in january, that he has to keep Sam. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Man, the current Jets FO might think this is the way to go, but I just can't see this being the way things go. 

If we are going to get a top tier HC, they will want to select their QB at 1 or 2, just like KK did.

Even if they think Sam can be rescued, they won't want to bet their career on it.

If the Jets are insistent on this we will wind up with a really bottom tier HC candidate that we can dictate things to. Someone like Marvin Lewis.

Mind you the Jets really ARE this dumb/

No top tier coaches are running to the Jets because they just HAVE to have Justin Fields. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

That was not my point. The point is that they will want to pick their own QB. TL is not even going to be the most successful QB from this class, Wilson is.

I personally dont agree. 

It's like any job opening, not everything will be exactly perfect for someone accepting the job. We have great premium picks the next two years, lots of cap space, nowhere to go but up so expectations are low. 

I bet a ton of coaches salivate at that. 4 or 5 year coaching deal, they could always take year 1 to see if Darnold surprises, and if he does, they would be set already, if not, draft one next year as "their guy". 

49 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

The narrative is being set. I would be shocked if Jets go QB in the draft.

Declining Sam's option and going into the draft with him as our starting QB is happening unless we're offered a first or we trade for Stafford. Its just a zero risk move. 

Rape a team or two in trade down's and see if a QB falls in your lap. You could always trade Sam later down the road. Very low risk situation. 

You want a very high risk situation? Trading Sam to a place like SF for a 2nd day pick and watching him do well and taking these QB's that need alot of development 2nd overall with a bad roster and starting them day 1. If your the GM its perfect if you plan on getting fired next offseason when Fields looks like a bust and Sam is in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 3

I understand JD not hitching his wagon to one of these secondary QB prospects.   I am OK with taking the tackle at #2.  But anticipating anything out of "cotton ball" Darnold is a waste of a season. 

The Jets will be drafting a QB in 2022...

Beating the Rams was dread, mon.  Truly dread.

• Upvote 2

I'm not looking in the rear view mirror.  If Sam does well elsewhere then good for him.  I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

New HC, new QB (trusting JD to make the right choice on vet or draft pick), and spending/using our $FA and draft cap well is my happy place.    

• Sympathy 3

5 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I understand JD not hitching his wagon to one of these secondary QB prospects.   I am OK with taking the tackle at #2.  But anticipating anything out of "cotton ball" Darnold is a waste of a season. 

The Jets will be drafting a QB in 2022...

Beating the Rams was dread, mon.  Truly dread.

So not having looked ahead, would you say the qbs next year are better than fields and Wilson? If they are, who are they? And are you willing to risk not getting them if the Jets go 5-11 or 6-10 and fade into no mans land? Or do you take a qb with a top two picks and build around him and put him in a system that fits his skills?

• Upvote 1

The endless procession of players who come to the Jets with so much potential but need to leave continues...

These players, we are told, just "need a fresh start" to reach the potential they never acheieved with the Jets...

Add Sam Darnold to the long, long list...

Clould it be that it is the Jet team itself that needs the fresh start?

Could it be that this team will just never win in the tired, dysfunctional state it is in?

Maybe the Jets need to change their name...

Maybe the Jets need to move to another city...

It's been 50 years of disappointment...

Now we are expected to believe that shuffling another HC and QB out, and shuffling new ones in will change things...

So tiring...

• Upvote 2