Mike Tannenbaum and Bart Scott advocate on "get up" to roll it back with Sam Darnold for 2021

Jetsbb

8 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Outside the board is ALWAYS WRONG and behind on everything, literally everything so this just proves that Sam needs to go. 

Outside the board says year after year that the jets will suck and be a laughing stock....I’m not sure they are always wrong

8 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Declining Sam's option and going into the draft with him as our starting QB is happening unless we're offered a first or we trade for Stafford. Its just a zero risk move. 

Rape a team or two in trade down's and see if a QB falls in your lap. You could always trade Sam later down the road. Very low risk situation. 

You want a very high risk situation? Trading Sam to a place like SF for a 2nd day pick and watching him do well and taking these QB's that need alot of development 2nd overall with a bad roster and starting them day 1. If your the GM its perfect if you plan on getting fired next offseason when Fields looks like a bust and Sam is in the playoffs. 

Exactly.....it seems like most people assume the only option is to tie ourselves to Sam or dump him....keeping him and giving him one more shot on a short leash while still investing a high pick in a QB is not a completely crazy idea.

there’s a chance, albeit slim, that Darnold responds to the lack of pressure, a new coaching staff and some better talent around him and has an Alex Smith/ Tannehill type resurgence, not a pro-bowl season but an efficient and improved performance with a few wins and being competitive throughout the season in what will effectively be a contract year.

At that point you have a far better problem on your hands 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

I still don't think it's a given that Darnold is a Jet next season, even if Douglas passes on drafting a QB. I think there is a fair chance Douglas signs a veteran placeholder in the off season to look for a QB in the 2022 draft.

He’s trading for Carson Wentz and hiring Bienemy.  Both guys have ties to JD

All I can say is Sam better have a solid game today or this might be his last here.  Sam is good for maybe four or five games a season where he actually plays well.  The rest are "I need to play better games".  Couple that with  a HC that is a horrible play caller  and you have this current disaster on your hands.  One or both need to go.  

1 minute ago, NamathToCaster said:

All I can say is Sam better have a solid game today or this might be his last here.  Sam is good for maybe four or five games a season where he actually plays well.  The rest are "I need to play better games".  Couple that with  a HC that is a horrible play caller  and you have this current disaster on your hands.  One or both need to go.  

I wouldn’t be shocked if we win these last 2 games and Sam looks decent

1 hour ago, NamathToCaster said:

Sam has not played well 4-5 games in his career.

11 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm not saying it's the right or wrong move, but it is becoming clear that there is a real divide between how this board views that potential move versus those outside this board.

Or the Jets are better at creating a narrative and feeding it to the media than they are at winning football games.

• Haha 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

Or the Jets are better at creating a narrative and feeding it to the media than they are at winning football games.

Yes - Unfortunate, but you have to root for something like a 3 INT outing in one of these last two games.  Kill this attempt to have him whimper into next year.  Ghostbusters 2.0 today.

The thing is that the oline and skill position pieces are still missing in enough quantity.  Whether or not they can draft Lawrence, those same pieces still need to be brought in.  Lawrence may be able to overcome some holes but not all. I and if they do bring in enough pieces maybe darnold can be successful at QB.  

11 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

The narrative is being set. I would be shocked if Jets go QB in the draft.

I absolutely LOVE what Bart Scott is selling! What an awesome way to give Sammy a supporting cast that's worthy. Sign Scherff in FA and draft Penei Sewell, another WR, and Etienne or Harris in the 2nd round. A little ground and pound like Sanchez used to have. Talk about a confidence builder. That's exactly what Sammy should have had around him from day one. That's the only way you maximize Sammys chances of succeeding.

This is only doing what's right? Sammy has been insulted and treated very poorly via complete INCOMPETENCE. He deserves an opportunity to show what he can do when the Jets organization is actually doing their jobs. 

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah.  I don't buy that.  If you do that's fine.

In my opinion, there is a difference between keeping Sam Darnold for another year to try and "salvage him" and keeping him for another year because they don't believe in any of the QBs not named Trevor.   The former doesn't make much sense because I don't think it's likely Sam will be salvaged. The latter does make sense to me. If you don't believe in Fields or Wilson them why take one and waste a premium resource on someone you don't believe in?  Use that resource on a player or trade that helps solidify the roster for the next QB, whether it be Sam, some other veteran or a Rookie the following year.   

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

Exactly.....it seems like most people assume the only option is to tie ourselves to Sam or dump him....keeping him and giving him one more shot on a short leash while still investing a high pick in a QB is not a completely crazy idea.

I'm onboard with this.  Draft a Fields, let him sit and give yourself and the new HC a to evaluate him and Sam.  Let the best man win.  

Sam plays better with a new HC and tools around him and Fields shows in practice you trade Sam for more than what would be had today.  Sam secures the job and you can get the #1 and more back for Fields.  

Everyone remembers the haul Johnson got for Hershel that turned the Cowboys around.  What always gets overlooked and what I always thought was brilliant is after taking Aikman 1st overall he took Steve Walsh at top of the supplemental draft, held onto another top QB prospect and then traded him for more picks in return.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

In my opinion, there is a difference between keeping Sam Darnold for another year to try and "salvage him" and keeping him for another year because they don't believe in any of the QBs not named Trevor.   The former doesn't make much sense because I don't think it's likely Sam will be salvaged. The latter does make sense to me. If you don't believe in Fields or Wilson them why take one and waste a premium resource on someone you don't believe in?  Use that resource on a player or trade that helps solidify the roster for the next QB, whether it be Sam, some other veteran or a Rookie the following year.   

Darnold has been the worst QB in the league. They should have moved on after last season. This is just creating a narrative rather than trying to win. Is it because of the agent? Are the Jets just incompetent? But there’s no truth to Darnold being saved- that’s not happening.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I absolutely LOVE what Bart Scott is selling! What an awesome way to give Sammy a supporting cast that's worthy. Sign Scherff in FA and draft Penei Sewell, another WR, and Etienne or Harris in the 2nd round. A little ground and pound like Sanchez used to have. Talk about a confidence builder. That's exactly what Sammy should have had around him from day one. That's the only way you maximize Sammys chances of succeeding.

This is only doing what's right? Sammy has been insulted and treated very poorly via complete INCOMPETENCE. He deserves an opportunity to show what he can do when the Jets organization is actually doing their jobs. 

Teddy Bridgewater came back from almost losing his leg, signed a one year deal, won the job, and got shipped out of town to thunderous applause.

You guys have some queer ideas about what quarterbacks deserve.

But thank you for sharing.

• Upvote 1

Sam has issues he needs to fix I would never dispute that.  But honestly I’ve never seen a young QB have no help whether it’s coaching, protection or weapons.  I mean if you look at all the other rest young QBs like Allen, Baker, or Mahomes they have all had good coaching, protection, and weapons.  Sam hasn’t had that.  Now like I said that doesn’t mean Sam doesn’t need to fix things but when you don’t have any of those three things it makes your life as a QB much much more difficult.  So yeah I do believe actually building around him will help him tremendously.  Plus getting an actual coach wont hurt either ? 

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If you start, not necessarily keep, but start Sam Darnold for another year, then you're hoping to "salvage" him.  Because, what's best for the team, as far as wins and losses go, and frankly other players development, if you don't believe in Fields or Wilson, would be to bring in a Stafford, Rivers, Winston, Mariota, hell, even Fitzpatrick, all of whom would easily win any fair QB competition and be an instant upgrade over Darnold.

10 hours ago, usanyj said:

I think JD may even try to have a place holder and still dump same. Contract is terrible but he likely helped in the process to draft Wentz.

Honestly, and you might think I'm crazy, I wouldn't mind running with Jameis for a year and letting Fields sit and learn. 

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Outside of this board, Sam Darnold evidently gets a 3-year mulligan.  So that's cool.

You want the quintessential SOJ move?  "Rebooting" with Darnold is it.   Why not boot another season or two into the Mt. Everest of Jets' scrap heaps with him "leading" the team?  Makes sense, no?  

Wow, this fan base is always eager to eat as much dog crap as the franchise will offer.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Darnold has been the worst QB in the league. They should have moved on after last season. This is just creating a narrative rather than trying to win. Is it because of the agent? Are the Jets just incompetent? But there’s no truth to Darnold being saved- that’s not happening.

But who's the narrative coming from about trying to save Darnold?  I haven't read that anywhere but here.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

build the foundation, then figure out the QB. Maybe we get lucky and Sam is it. Throwing a QB on top of a crumbling foundation doesn't solve anything. 

Barry, going with Darnold forestalls the inevitable:  That Darnold fails.  Wishing that Darnold somehow "get it" and turns into a competent (not even top flight) NFL QB is not the approach I would take.  Why not take a shot on one of the new kids?  If they work out, then that's one less piece we need to worry about in trying to finally build a winning team.  Darnold just sets us back at least a year or two.   Again.

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

But who's the narrative coming from about trying to save Darnold?  I haven't read that anywhere but here.

What is the point of bringing back Darnold? I’d rather Fitzpatrick back to at least be competitive than roll out Darnold again.

• Thumb Down 1

I'm 100% fine with sticking with Sam as a part of the QB room for 2021. I've really warmed up to the idea of trading the #2 pick for everything they can get, building the offense around the QB position, and adding both a veteran starting caliber QB and a high pick at QB to join Darnold in that QB room. 

It's gonna come down to who the head coach wants at QB, what their evaluations are of the QBs in this class, and the trade value of that #2 pick and Sam Darnold at this time. But if Joe Douglas & Co. come to the conclusion that none of the top QB prospects are better than Darnold, then they shouldn't spend the #2 pick on one of them. Getting one of Lance, Fields, or Wilson later in the first after getting a haul for the #2 pick, then working him in behind the vet/Sam during the season seems like a nice plan to me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Barry, going with Darnold forestalls the inevitable:  That Darnold fails.  Wishing that Darnold somehow "get it" and turns into a competent (not even top flight) NFL QB is not the approach I would take.  Why not take a shot on one of the new kids?  If they work out, then that's one less piece we need to worry about in trying to finally build a winning team.  Darnold just sets us back at least a year or two.   Again.

There will be QB's in every draft. Why throw another rookie onto a team that isn't built soundly? It's not even about Darnold. If we get lucky and he turns it around that's just a bonus.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Baker Mayfield last season was the worst starting Qb in the nfl.  

what did Cleveland do?  Hire a competent head coach and built the league’s best offensive line by adding Wills and Conklin 

Suddenly Baker improves - wow what a concept 

And look at their running game. Something that’s been non-existent under Gase. 

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What is the point of bringing back Darnold? I’d rather Fitzpatrick back to at least be competitive than roll out Darnold again.

Because a whole lot of people still believe in his talent and dont agree with you?  That believe he never had a chance here and think hes not broken.

And Fitz, how did he do when the talent around him fell off in year two behind a lousy HC? 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Because a whole lot of people still believe in his talent and dont agree with you?  That believe he never had a chance here and think hes not broken.

And Fitz, how did he do when the talent around him fell off in year two behind a lousy HC? 

Significantly better than Darnold. 

and what talent? What does Darnold do well? Below average arm, accuracy, pocket awareness. This is year 3. He’s done as a starter.

32 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

So we're at the point where people are saying "stick with Sam" while talking about building a ground and pound offense lol. Basically to help hide him. 

Generally speaking, if you have a franchise QB in 2020, you aren't thinking about building a run heavy type of offense.

No. Just a consistent running game. Look around the successful offenses. They all have a consistent running game ie a threat, balance.