Okay moment of truth. Do you want Sam Darnold to be our QB next year? POLL

Jetsbb

Sam Darnold  

244 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Sam Darnold to be the Jets starting QB next year?

• Yes I want Sam Darnold back
    • No I have given up on him as the future

1 hour ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

So I had more than a few. Put him on probation.

We can revisit the policy and check into your record some more if you would like? That isn't going to change what was already done in this thread for others though.

9 hours ago, QB1 said:

You guys are overcomplicating it 

draft Wilson at 2, sit him in 2021

Start Darnold, if he does well you keep him or his trade value goes up

if he flames out you start Wilson later in the year or in 2022

the kid is built like a 14 year old girl. he is going to break within 6 games

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Correct answer: bring Sam back plus another QB like Winston or Wentz to compete

That's almost the definition of half-assing it.

JD did that this past off-season and see where it got him.  Hopefully he learned his lesson.

Jets will be taking a QB at two.  It really is the only thing that makes sense.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That's almost the definition of half-asking it.

JD did that this past off-season and see where it got him.  Hopefully he learned his lesson.

Jets will be taking a QB at two.  It really is the only thing that makes sense.

If that’s the case I wonder which way JD is leaning towards Fields/Wilson. If it were me I’d take Wilson but I’d try to trade down  in the top 5. Yes it’s risky but I can see JD giving up Sewell in a trade with the Bengals or Dolphins. 

13 hours ago, Morrissey said:

And you believe Howell is better than Wilson and Fields.. because? 

Who knows if he’s better?

But Fields and Wilson sure as hell aren’t the rarities that some of you are making them out to be.

Dudes like these are in essentially every draft.

And in addition to Howell, I’m sure there will be some relatively unknown QB who has a big breakout season and vaults to the top of draft boards. How do I know? Because it happens just about every single year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Who knows if he’s better?

But Fields and Wilson sure as hell aren’t the rarities that some of you are making them out to be.

Dudes like these are in essentially every draft.

And in addition to Howell, I’m sure there will be some relatively unknown who has a big breakout season and vaults to the top of draft boards. How do I know? Because it happens just about every single year.

okay maybe.. but we don't have a QB....  why are you pushing it off another year?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, DJF71 said:

All of this would be easier if Darnold was a piece of trash human like Haskins.

Suck is suck. 

11 hours ago, Titan24 said:

I don’t know bout you guys.... but Sam seems to have way less zip on throws.    Worries me

“I don’t know about you but there’s a little water on the deck. Worries me.” -Titanic Passenger

10 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

No the Cleveland Browns and Tennessee Titans are his shtick.

I actually love the Jaguars.

Jax done Minshew wrong. Hope it bites “em. 

• Upvote 1

It's true that unless the players around Sam are significantly upgraded, a free agent or two and a few draft picks will unlikely make an all pro out of Darnold and significantly improve his play.  What WILL have an impact is a new HC and OC who will hopefully design the offense to Sam's strengths and get the best out of him, whatever that is.  Now, the "whatever that is" is the big question mark, and even if the new coaches are successful, will that be enough? How long will that take?  Has Darnold's ceiling been lowered from 3 seasons of bad coaching, bad personnel, and bad habits?  Was his ceiling never as high as we thought it was?  The fact that we have so many important questions about Darnold still unanswered after 3 seasons tells me all I need to know.  As much as I was rooting for Danold to be the answer, I think the Jets have to move on.

Then again, what the hell do I know?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even if you believe that Sam Darnold could be a good game manager at QB, that's simply not a reason to pass on taking a QB with the 2nd overall pick in this draft. 

A game manager is a guy you settle for as a best case scenario option if you can't find your franchise QB. You don't pass on a potential franchise QB to go forward with a game manager at QB.

If Joe Douglas believes in a QB in this draft, not named Trevor Lawrence, he'd be crazy to pass on him at pick number 2. He'd have to believe that Sam Darnold is going to take a massive leap in year 4, and become the QB we all thought he could be. And there is simply no evidence to show that he is capable of making that jump.

18 hours ago, Maxman said:

Running JetNation has been good for me in a lot of ways. The absolute worst part of it has been having to deal with things like this. Rape jokes, threatening physical violence...these are not anything I would do myself. I could just delete these posts but when someone has been warned time and time again and you turn the other way, people feel that it becomes acceptable. Making it worse is when someone you consider a friend does it.

This site will not be home to physical threats, even when they are a "joke". The last time something like this happened it was a giant pain in the ass for me on a personal level. I received so many complaints from the banned poster. That being said, it doesn't matter this stuff can't happen here.

Your user account has been banned and it will never be unbanned as long as I own the site. If the Jets are causing you this much aggravation and you feel the need to talk to others this way it is probably time to evaluate things.  Either way this banning is permanent, I am not dealing with this anymore.

I will shut down this site and walk away before threatening to beat people up and rape them becomes acceptable.

The timing of this banning couldn't have been worse.  The only realistic shot we have at getting Trevor is to make Jacksonville an offer they can't refuse.

On 12/27/2020 at 6:51 PM, STLuLu said:

What's the alternitive to Darnold?

Drafting a QB at 2.  Veteran option on the open market.  James Morgan.  Is this a serious question?  Friggin Joe Flacco played better than Sam Darnold this season, in the same set of circumstances.  It's not hard to find an alternative to Sam Darnold.  

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, QB1 said:

You guys are overcomplicating it 

draft Wilson at 2, sit him in 2021

Start Darnold, if he does well you keep him or his trade value goes up

if he flames out you start Wilson later in the year or in 2022

Sitting rookie QB's for a full season or even half a season isn't a thing anymore.  If the Jets draft a QB, he'll be starting no later than Week 6.  

Give me Fields, an alternative veteran bridge option, and trade Darnold.  Probably not happening per @Mogglez connections, but its the way we SHOULD be approaching the situation, rather than letting Darnold walk for nothing in free agency and kicking the can down the road at QB for another year.  Darnold is worthless.

Hell, Washington just CUT Dwayne Haskins, and he's performed better than Darnold.  Meanwhile we're running it back with a QB3 quality quarterback?  Lame.  

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sitting rookie QB's for a full season or even half a season isn't a thing anymore.  If the Jets draft a QB, he'll be starting no later than Week 6.  

Give me Fields, an alternative veteran bridge option, and trade Darnold.  Probably not happening per @Mogglez connections, but its the way we SHOULD be approaching the situation, rather than letting Darnold walk for nothing in free agency and kicking the can down the road at QB for another year.  Darnold is worthless.

Hell, Washington just CUT Dwayne Haskins, and he's performed better than Darnold.  Meanwhile we're running it back with a QB3 quality quarterback?  Lame.  

Don’t give up hope bud lol.  It’s late December.  There’s still a chance for them to fall in love with a QB.  It’s, low-key, what I’m hoping for as well.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Lol ok the last two MVPs sat. Haskins was cut because he is a POS lazy scumbag not because he struggled on the field. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Lol ok the last two MVPs sat. Haskins was cut because he is a POS lazy scumbag not because he struggled on the field. 

Mahomes sat because there was a legitimate starter already under center in Alex Smith.  Sam Darnold doesn't qualify for that.  He's a QB3.  

And Lamar Jackson played in all 16 games, starting 7, in his rookie season.  So that isn't a good example either.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mahomes sat because there was a legitimate starter already under center in Alex Smith.  Sam Darnold doesn't qualify for that.  He's a QB3.  

And Lamar Jackson played in all 16 games, starting 7, in his rookie season.  So that isn't a good example either.

They are both great examples

5 minutes ago, QB1 said:

They are both great examples

lol.  No,, they're not.  And meanwhile, I have about a dozen QB's who started right away in recent years.  Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow, Darnold, Wentz, Jameis Winston, Tannehill, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, etc etc.  And a bunch more who started after a handful of games or less, like Herbert, Tua, Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Mariota, Bortles, RG3, etc.

• Upvote 1

Lucky we will be in better position to support the new QB at 2. For Sam, Chris Johnson picked an awful coach , and we had a horrible GM. Macc also used 3 2s to trade up, which hurt building around Sam.

This is not the same situation. We have a few pieces on offense (Becton, Mims, Crowder)  and a ton of picks and cap space. If JD loves a QB it’s a no brainer  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol.  No,, they're not.  And meanwhile, I have about a dozen QB's who started right away in recent years.  Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow, Darnold, Wentz, Jameis Winston, Tannehill, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, etc etc.  And a bunch more who started after a handful of games or less, like Herbert, Tua, Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Mariota, Bortles, RG3, etc.

And the two best ones sat. Move on from your terrible take.

• WTF? 1

10 hours ago, jgb said:

Yep, getting close to apathy. That’s the worst possible outcome for Johnsons.

That's the biggest reason Gase is gone. 

The Jets have fallen so far that, in addition to being perennial embarrassments, they have become irrelevant. 

Costello said a few months ago that clicks on his articles were at an all-time low. Nothing scares NFL owners more than apathy because it hurts their bank accounts. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

That's the biggest reason Gase is gone. 

The Jets have fallen so far that, in addition to being perennial embarrassments, they have become irrelevant. 

Costello said a few months ago that clicks on his articles were at an all-time low. Nothing scares NFL owners more than apathy because it hurts their bank accounts. 

I watched half of one game this year. More of the same if the worst starting QB in the NFL is back next season.

• Upvote 1