Game Observations (CLE)

KRL

33 minutes ago, section314 said:

Bryce Hall is good. Bless has to move to safety. Resign Maye. Fatukasi is a stud. Basham is what we wanted Jenkins to be. Was a great teaching game for Becton..Get a true edge an the front 7 can be really good. Ficken blows.

Fickens is not bad, Sheldon just got a few good pushes/blocks.

• Upvote 1

Don't forget about Kyle Phillips either, we have quite a good DL core.

It must be said that even with the lack of players CLE had that the defense looks better under Bush. Seems to be simpler and faster and not 10 yards of off coverage and zero blitz on every other play.

I was a huge Sam supporter, thinking of building the team around him is fool's gold.

I actually think that the Jets will retain Gase and maybe make a couple other sacrificial coaching changes.

This defence has some potential - Lots of guys stepping up. Has balled out at times this season in difficult circumstances. Should allow us to focus our resources on the offensive side of the ball too.

Glad Fatukasi is finally getting recognized. Been playing at an elite level since last season.

I think people have really overrated Mims after his hot start. Not saying he's a bust but it already looks like his ceiling will be as a possession guy. Doesn't get any separation and doesn't seem very good at high pointing the ball. Concerning.

Becton recovered pretty well after getting beat twice by Garrett. His head could have dropped. They did bring across help but even in his one on ones he started winning. Good learning game for him against the best there is.

Sam Darnold is terrible at football and cannot be seen as the QB of the future. 

We're never going to have a kicker again.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Sam Darnold was average again going 16/32 for 175 yards and 2 TD.  His best stat was a zero under the turnover column.  But think about this, for an entire game he had 2 targets to Denzel Mims for 0 catches and 6 targets to Breshad Perriman for 0 catches.  That's unacceptable!!!  We've gone through an entire season and I still don't know what Darnold is, unbelievable.

Darnold is consistently bad why is it difficult to know what he is?

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Darnold was the worst player on our offense today . Time to move on . 

The more you watch the jets offense you realize how bad the combination of qb/hc has been all year.  If you put a real game manager on this team like bridgewater, they win 4-5 games and we’re not sitting here all year talking about tanking for Trevor. We’d have a pick in the 4-8 range and we’re discussing what qbs will fall there.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, pointman said:

Game observations: Sam Darnold, taken third overall, was once talked about being an exceptional talent. One that was unseen in years. He was the total package. Calm, cool, big arm, evasive.. a leader... a playmaker. Now, he is the king of excuses made by others, and praised as being a talented game manager. I have never seen someone avoid blame and fingerpointing so well in my life. He has a total yardage of that of a super talented RUNNING BACK WHO RUNS THE BALL. Yet, somehow, he is still being talked about as being capable of big things. So much so that he is being called the better option over talented college QBs. Unreal. 

Makes you kinda realize that there are very few QB's that come out of college that can put a team on their shoulders.

MAYBE we should try a different approach.  Use that #2 pick to get more players, build a team, THEN get a good QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

Makes you kinda realize that there are very few QB's that come out of college that can put a team on their shoulders.

MAYBE we should try a different approach.  Use that #2 pick to get more players, build a team, THEN get a good QB.

Or get the key part first and see what we need around him instead of putting together a roster and then hoping we can fill in a QB that works. 

9 minutes ago, pointman said:

Or get the key part first and see what we need around him instead of putting together a roster and then hoping we can fill in a QB that works. 

Didn't work with Darnold.  Hasn't worked with many, many QB's over the years for many teams.

The ones who seem to play the best out of the gate are ones that go to teams that have most of the pieces already in place.  We bitch about not drafting Patrick Mahomes, but we would be looking for his replacement already had the Jets drafted him, considering the schlock that Mac offered for the following years after picking Jamal Adams instead of him.

Just now, CanadaSteve said:

Didn't work with Darnold.  Hasn't worked with many, many QB's over the years for many teams.

The ones who seem to play the best out of the gate are ones that go to teams that have most of the pieces already in place.  We bitch about not drafting Patrick Mahomes, but we would be looking for his replacement already had the Jets drafted him, considering the schlock that Mac offered for the following years after picking Jamal Adams instead of him.

Thats not true. I don't believe that if we had Mahomes he would be Sam levels bad where we were looking for his replacement. He wouldn't be lights out like he is now with that insane cast in Kansas City, but he would be leaps and bounds better than the sloppy garbage that Sam is putting out there each week. 

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I legit have no idea what to do. I don't believe Sam is the answer but I'd love to take Sewell and build a great wall for whoever the future QB will be.

I think all options should be on the table, yes, including Dak and Stafford.

Thank god your coming around 

1 hour ago, QB1 said:

Darnold threw great deep balls to both Perriman and Mims and neither could make a play 

Perriman is the laziest route runner I’ve ever seen and Mims can’t create any separation 

Darnold was meh but let’s call a spade a spade here

I can't agree with this more. Perriman looked liked he could give a shi_ out there today and was only going through the motions. No way I want him back here next year.

2 hours ago, pointman said:

Thats not true. I don't believe that if we had Mahomes he would be Sam levels bad where we were looking for his replacement. He wouldn't be lights out like he is now with that insane cast in Kansas City, but he would be leaps and bounds better than the sloppy garbage that Sam is putting out there each week. 

Guess we'll never know....

But I bet we would be looking to replace him as well. Our roster has been bad for a long time....Brett Favre couldn't have saved it. But, two or three more drafts will get the ship in a better position.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

- The following DLinemen stepped up big time to control the line of
scrimmage:

* Foley Fatukasi - 4 Tkls, TFL and a fumble recovery
  * Nathan Shepherd - 3 Tkls, Sack, TFL and 2 QB Hits
  * John Franklin-Myers - 3 Tkls, Sack, TFL, 2 QB Hits, PD and a fumble recovery

No one knows who the next DC will be but those three with a returning
Quinnen Williams gives him a strong corps of DT's.  Add in a couple
of edge rushers and we may actually have a pass rush next year

- Good game by Tarell Basham with 5 Tkls, Sack, 3 QB Hits and a key 4th down
stop on Mayfield to seal the game

@jetsrule128  posted this in another thread. 

• Upvote 1

With no clear-cut stud quarterback besides Lawrence...

I do everything I can to trade back.

It’s very possible we can parlay the number two overall pick into  a first and second this year and a first second and third next year. That combined with the Jamal trade and a load of cap Space infuses this team with young talent.

I give Sam one more shot

• Upvote 1

I had honestly expected that this game would show how much we missed Q. I thought we were going to get run all over.

In reality the D line / front 7 still balled - not a knock on Q at all, more of a compliment to the rest of the players and the coaching.

As for Sam ... start of the year I wanted no part of Tank for Trevor, I wanted us to build around the guy we had. Now, I just don't see it happening. The game plan these past weeks has been eerily reminiscent of the Sanchez "era" - play to not screw up. When you have to actively limit your offense to avoid the stupid turnovers, it's not a good sign.

Draft wise - if they truly love a QB at #2, you take him. If not, you do what you can to improve the talent across the board, whether that means trading down or not. Build, build, build, then look to bring in a QB when the opportunity presents itself. Chargers got Herbert at 6, and with the talent around him he's doing very well. Good QBs can be drafted beyond the top pick, but you have to have a foundation to begin with. We have neither QB nor foundation right now, so JD has plenty to do in the draft - and plenty options.

If we do draft a QB, I'd expect they also bring in a vet to baby sit till he's ready to go ... Fitz 2.0 anyone? ;-) 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, David Harris said:

With no clear-cut stud quarterback besides Lawrence...

I do everything I can to trade back.

It’s very possible we can parlay the number two overall pick into  a first and second this year and a first second and third next year. That combined with the Jamal trade and a load of cap Space infuses this team with young talent.

I give Sam one more shot

One more shot at what?  The first pick in the draft again?  Kid just doesn't have it

13 hours ago, KRL said:

Who saw this coming???  Back to back wins against two playoff teams
after 13 straight losses???  I was furious after the LAR game as it
cost them the #1 spot and a shot at Trevor Lawrence.  This week I'm
actually proud of the effort, fight and enthusiasm of the team as
they beat CLE.  This changes nothing about Adam Gase being fired
after the NE game.  And please no stupid articles from the media
about these wins saving his job.  Now let's take a look:

- Let's deal with the elephant in the room, the Jets caught a HUGE
break with the majority of CLE WR's being ruled out Saturday night.
CLE offense was operating in a very narrow box with no vertical threat
making it easier for a young secondary

- Fantastic job by the rush defense as they held a potent CLE running game
to 18 rushes for 45 yards

scrimmage:

- I have no idea if he'll stick next year but Arthur Maulet has been
noticeable as a coverage safety.  Today he had 5 Tkls but more importantly
3 Passes Defensed as he covered the middle of the field

- Jamison Crowder was the offensive star of the game as he caught 7 balls
for 92 yards and a TD.  In addition he was perfect as a QB going 1/1 for
43 yards and a TD

- Braxton Berrios showed up with 3 catches for 60 yards the TD from Crowder

- Mekhi Becton's game today was a step down from last week's effort against
Aaron Donald.  Myles Garrett got him for a sack and a pressure 

- Sam Darnold was average again going 16/32 for 175 yards and 2 TD.  His best
stat was a zero under the turnover column.  But think about this, for an entire
game he had 2 targets to Denzel Mims for 0 catches and 6 targets to Breshad
Perriman for 0 catches.  That's unacceptable!!!  We've gone through an entire
season and I still don't know what Darnold is, unbelievable

Off-Season Thoughts

- With our QB spot still up in the air next Friday's Clemson/Ohio St game is
going to be huge for evaluating Justin Fields.  Can he demontrate better
pocket awareness than he did in the final two games of Ohio St season

- With the #2 spot locked up Joe Douglas basically controls the draft.  What
does he think of Darnold?  What does he think of the QB's coming out?  Great
off-season info provided by @Mogglez this week for those who haven't checked it
out yet:

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/157020-some-newsfor-those-who-are-interested/

It turned out to be catastrophic for the Brownies losing their top 4 WR's and Jedrick Wills. That's a very talented team that was reduced to a fraction of themselves as a result.

For me, there's shared blame to go around about lack of chemistry between Sammy and Mims/Perriman? You can't just summarily blame Sammy for that connection not working. First of all, Mims being targeted only twice is unacceptable. The coaching staff should be getting Mims more involved. The Jets would be winning a lot more games of they were utilizing Mims sufficiently. Second, the defense on both of those plays just so happened to be spectacular. The defense sometimes does their job and it just so happened they did it well with Mims. When it comes to Perriman, Sammy deserves slightly more blame. A few of the passes thrown his way were off target.

It's obvious this is a down year for Sammy. He's clearly regressed from his first two seasons in the league. My belief in why Sammy has regressed is because of coaching and talent. 

13 hours ago, KRL said:

Who saw this coming???  Back to back wins against two playoff teams
after 13 straight losses???  I was furious after the LAR game as it
cost them the #1 spot and a shot at Trevor Lawrence.  This week I'm
actually proud of the effort, fight and enthusiasm of the team as
they beat CLE.  This changes nothing about Adam Gase being fired
after the NE game.  And please no stupid articles from the media
about these wins saving his job.  Now let's take a look:

- Let's deal with the elephant in the room, the Jets caught a HUGE
break with the majority of CLE WR's being ruled out Saturday night.
CLE offense was operating in a very narrow box with no vertical threat
making it easier for a young secondary

- Fantastic job by the rush defense as they held a potent CLE running game
to 18 rushes for 45 yards

scrimmage:

- I have no idea if he'll stick next year but Arthur Maulet has been
noticeable as a coverage safety.  Today he had 5 Tkls but more importantly
3 Passes Defensed as he covered the middle of the field

- Jamison Crowder was the offensive star of the game as he caught 7 balls
for 92 yards and a TD.  In addition he was perfect as a QB going 1/1 for
43 yards and a TD

- Braxton Berrios showed up with 3 catches for 60 yards the TD from Crowder

- Mekhi Becton's game today was a step down from last week's effort against
Aaron Donald.  Myles Garrett got him for a sack and a pressure 

- Sam Darnold was average again going 16/32 for 175 yards and 2 TD.  His best
stat was a zero under the turnover column.  But think about this, for an entire
game he had 2 targets to Denzel Mims for 0 catches and 6 targets to Breshad
Perriman for 0 catches.  That's unacceptable!!!  We've gone through an entire
season and I still don't know what Darnold is, unbelievable

Off-Season Thoughts

- With our QB spot still up in the air next Friday's Clemson/Ohio St game is
going to be huge for evaluating Justin Fields.  Can he demontrate better
pocket awareness than he did in the final two games of Ohio St season

- With the #2 spot locked up Joe Douglas basically controls the draft.  What
does he think of Darnold?  What does he think of the QB's coming out?  Great
off-season info provided by @Mogglez this week for those who haven't checked it
out yet:

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/157020-some-newsfor-those-who-are-interested/

And let's not forget about the most important factor in the Browns losing this game: Mayfield fumbling the ball 3 times. No team can win with that many fumbles.