Interesting Trade Down Possibilities

KRL

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

This is good and I really really believe there is no way the Jets take Sewell at 2. For a few reasons.

1. They have a LT

2. They can bring Fant back to play RT next year, upgrade both Guard spots (free agency, draft) and the line is in good shape

3. Douglas likes to trade down and the value here will be immense, trade down and you can get two starters instead of one

The way I see it Elflein will be re-signed. Becton and him have played really well next to each the past few games.  Fant and McGovern are both under contract and will both be back next year and starting. Fants deal will be adjusted to lower the cap hit. I think they use a 2nd/3rd to fill the other guard spot. People are underestimating how well this line has played the past few games especially against two of the top defensive line fronts in LA and Cleveland the last 2 games. 

The deal, I think, that the Jets will have an opportunity to make is to trade for Minshew from Jax. He's fallen out of favor in Jax, they'll be drafting Lawrence and he'll be on the last year of his deal. The Jets can then trade back and bring in more draft capital to surround him with talent. He's better than Darnold and only a year older. Use the Darnold trade to make the Minshew trade and you've upgraded the QB spot without giving up your own assets. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Pac said:

I won't pretend to know a lot about the top 5 college QB's but everything I've read seems to make it sound like there's TL, then a case can be made for any of Fields, Wilson, Lance.

With that being the case ATL can just sit and wait...  unless Fields knocks the combine out of the park in which case maybe ATL worries that Carolina may go all in or the Lions move on from Stafford.

Not getting TL hurts but the next couple months are going to be pretty interesting and this will be the most exciting draft, one way or another, in a while.

Absolute worst outcome is you draft a guy being called the best lineman to come out since Joe Thomas..  ok..  cool.

Wilson will separate himself bc he has elite arm talent. Think Mahomes type talent. He's only kind of an unknown bc he didn't play as well in 2018 and 2019 and really burst onto the scene this year. Kind of like Burrow did last year. Through the process Wilson's arm talent will have evaluators drooling.

8 hours ago, Pac said:

If a potential HC says during an interview that they want to move on from Darnold I doubt they get a 2nd interview.

That's a JD decision.

You want a HC to come in and say he has no doubt he can get Sam back on track if the decision is made to keep him.

Huh??????????

??????

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

You can tell the parrots here, Sewell hasn’t played in a year and might come to the combine and stink the place up. But so many are just blindly penciling in Sewell at 2...

comical ????

whether we take him or trade down.....sewell will likely be the 2nd overall pick

I'm sure the Rams & Seahawks look back at the moment they drafted Pace & Walter Jones as top 5 drafts in their histories. 

The Jets have 2 picks in the top 34 starting at anywhere from 24-34. They are not picking a QB in the top 5 and starting him. Aikman & Manning were 1-15 in their 1st years & there will be most likely fans in the stands in 2021. 

Had there been fans in 2020, the Networks would have had to lower their sound equipment to drown out the cursing coming from the stands towards Adam Gase & Sam Darnold. It would have been uglier than 1996. 

You also not getting free agents to come without a plan in place if they have other choices. 

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

We can't risk losing our QB by trading down.  Gotta take your guy at 2.

Only a moron would trade down and risk losing your shot at picking your FQB.  And if JD stays with Darnold another year and trades down, he's as dumb as Macc for staying with Geno Smith.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

History lesson time. Let’s not make the same mistake we made in 1980 and pass on Anthony Munoz because we had Marvin Powell and Chris Ward.

I think the lesson there, actually, is don't take another Lam Jones. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Only a moron would trade down and risk losing your shot at picking your FQB.  And if JD stays with Darnold another year and trades down, he's as dumb as Macc for staying with Geno Smith.  

Exactly.  Realistically there's only one move for JD to make - it's the only logical thing.  It will become more apparent the closer we get to the draft.

We will be taking a QB at 2...which one is really the only question.

• Upvote 1

Im firmly in the draft Wilson at 2 camp but I thought this mock was interesting: 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-mock-draft-crabbs-4.0

Ignore the selections themselves because that’s all a guess, but the idea of trading back with a team that’s a little more on the outside for a massive haul of picks is more appealing to me than trading back a spot or two for an extra pick or two. Would be curious to get other opinions. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

They will.  It’s the only logical move.

THIS^

Logical...... JD has been pretty logical thus far as a GM.  He went LT when the sexier pick might have been Jeudy, Ruggs or Lamb. He stuck to his instincts.  Again, we are faced with a priority.  What to do at QB.  The analysis of Darnold on this board has been beat to death.  His stats are full proof that he is an average to below average QB even with a boatload of weapons and really doesn't make anyone better.  He's due 25 million in 2022. That's preposterous for a QB that cant even throw a deep ball.  IF we were to get the #1 we hands down would have taken Trevor.  By falling back to #2 should not change the plan. You take a QB. You trade Darnold and get what you can while his trade value has slightly increased. 

Illogical.....Stay with Darnold and trade back, get a few extra picks, thats if you can trade back.  If not, take Sewell and be forced to trade either Becton or Sewell in 4 years since you are not paying both 20M+.   Or trade back get the extra picks and improve on a couple areas of need on OL, CB, Edge, WR and hope against hope that Darnold sees the light. Lets say he doesn't light it up or sheet the bed.  You've improved with a couple extra picks. 1 in 2021, 1 in 2022 with the trade back.  Jets improve to lets say 8-8. Darnold is now due 25M which will pretty much put a big strain on the cap.  You're now stuck with an average Philip Rivers type QB who wont get out of the wildcard.  It's 2022 and you've pretty much put yourself out of reach for a top QB prospect without having to trade your mother to move up in the draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

THIS^

Logical...... JD has been pretty logical thus far as a GM.  He went LT when the sexier pick might have been Jeudy, Ruggs or Lamb. He stuck to his instincts.  Again, we are faced with a priority.  What to do at QB.  The analysis of Darnold on this board has been beat to death.  His stats are full proof that he is an average to below average QB even with a boatload of weapons and really doesn't make anyone better.  He's due 25 million in 2022. That's preposterous for a QB that cant even throw a deep ball.  IF we were to get the #1 we hands down would have taken Trevor.  By falling back to #2 should not change the plan. You take a QB. You trade Darnold and get what you can while his trade value has slightly increased. 

Illogical.....Stay with Darnold and trade back, get a few extra picks, thats if you can trade back.  If not, take Sewell and be forced to trade either Becton or Sewell in 4 years since you are not paying both 20M+.   Or trade back get the extra picks and improve on a couple areas of need on OL, CB, Edge, WR and hope against hope that Darnold sees the light. Lets say he doesn't light it up or sheet the bed.  You've improved with a couple extra picks. 1 in 2021, 1 in 2022 with the trade back.  Jets improve to lets say 8-8. Darnold is now due 25M which will pretty much put a big strain on the cap.  You're now stuck with an average Philip Rivers type QB who wont get out of the wildcard.  It's 2022 and you've pretty much put yourself out of reach for a top QB prospect without having to trade your mother to move up in the draft.

It's not that cut & dried. Two major factors here will be their evaluations of the QBs, and what kind of offers he's getting for that pick. Is there one clear cut option worthy of the #2 pick? Or do they have two or three guys ranked closely enough that they'd be happy with any of them? Or maybe the guy they like is a guy like Trask who could be had with their second first rounder. 

I also expect Douglas to take a logical, pragmatic approach, and -as such- he'll look at all of his options very carefully, working with his new head coach to land the right QB. I think it's pretty clear that JD loves draft picks, though. If he can trade down to #5 and get Cincy's #1 & #2 this year, and their #1 next year (a trade in line with the draft pick trade chart), I think that's gonna be awful hard for him to pass up. The only reason he wouldn't is because he (or his HC) fell in love with a particular QB. 

12 minutes ago, slats said:

It's not that cut & dried. Two major factors here will be their evaluations of the QBs, and what kind of offers he's getting for that pick. Is there one clear cut option worthy of the #2 pick? Or do they have two or three guys ranked closely enough that they'd be happy with any of them? Or maybe the guy they like is a guy like Trask who could be had with their second first rounder. 

I also expect Douglas to take a logical, pragmatic approach, and -as such- he'll look at all of his options very carefully, working with his new head coach to land the right QB. I think it's pretty clear that JD loves draft picks, though. If he can trade down to #5 and get Cincy's #1 & #2 this year, and their #1 next year (a trade in line with the draft pick trade chart), I think that's gonna be awful hard for him to pass up. The only reason he wouldn't is because he (or his HC) fell in love with a particular QB. 

Trade back with Cincy at 5 and you may be losing Wilson and Fields.  Its a nice haul but is Sewell worth that. I don't think Bengals would do that. They suck equally as bad as we do.  Thats giving up a kings ransom for a team whose roster is as putrid as ours.  Pipe dream.  It would be pretty dumb.  Miami just benched Tua.  That's pretty astonishing.  Do they take a QB at 3. Not out of the question.  Dolphins are searching for their QB and are taking no prisoners: see Rosen.  Panthers are taking one at 4.  Whose next to trade with? Detroit? 49ers? Again, you put yourself in a position to lose out on your guy.  And do you really want to risk trading out of a QB who could very well be your FQB?  The safe, logical, smart pick is keep the pick and take your QB.  

52 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

Zach Wilson is not going to hold up in the nfl. He will be broken within 6 games. Pass on the 14 year old girl body qb thank you 

Yeah Tom Brady and Aaron Rogers are and were certainly jacked when they were drafted.

Yes Wilson had a season ending shoulder injury. So did Rogers a few years back. Injuries happen, and Darnold’s been hurt every year since he’s been in the league.

12 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Trade back with Cincy at 5 and you may be losing Wilson and Fields.  Its a nice haul but is Sewell worth that. I don't think Bengals would do that. They suck equally as bad as we do.  Thats giving up a kings ransom for a team whose roster is as putrid as ours.  Pipe dream.  It would be pretty dumb.  Miami just benched Tua.  That's pretty astonishing.  Do they take a QB at 3. Not out of the question.  Dolphins are searching for their QB and are taking no prisoners: see Rosen.  Panthers are taking one at 4.  Whose next to trade with? Detroit? 49ers? Again, you put yourself in a position to lose out on your guy.  And do you really want to risk trading out of a QB who could very well be your FQB?  The safe, logical, smart pick is keep the pick and take your QB.  

At a bare minimum, I fleece the fish for all I can get to move back one spot and still have a choice of all the QBs. 

• Upvote 1

There will be a number of trade down scenarios the Jets can exploit. ATL, CIN, DET, SF, DEN, CAR, MIN are all teams that bare watching whether it be to land a QB or an OT, especially when considering that there’s a legitimate possibility Matt Ryan and/or Matthew Stafford get traded this offseason (I can’t ignore the Matt Ryan-to-NE idea that keeps popping into my head).

What’s intriguing about Miami: they never expected to draft #3 (if they do in fact land there). They have a stacked roster and although they like Tua, I don’t think teams will rule them out RE: evaluating QBs. They’ve been unconventional at the position, and they haven’t shown effusive confidence in Tua. Everyone’s talking about the Jets following the Arizona-Rosen-Murray path, but whose to say Miami wouldn’t? 

I don’t think that will be the case, but a team looking to trade up may keep that in mind... 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

At a bare minimum, I fleece the fish for all I can get to move back one spot and still have a choice of all the QBs. 

And what if Fins take Wilson.  Tua was BENCHED in a MUST win for the Fins. That doesn't exactly reek of confidence. And is Sewell a target for the Fins? Havent stayed on top of their needs.  

13 hours ago, Jetster said:

You can’t put a rookie behind this Oline unless you want to another 2/3 win season. 

The line may be the best unit on the team next year when we draft O-line high (end of 1st or high 2nd) and grab another in free agency. Becton in year two with proper training and free agency could be elite next year.

2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

And what if Fins take Wilson.  Tua was BENCHED in a MUST win for the Fins. That doesn't exactly reek of confidence. And is Sewell a target for the Fins? Havent stayed on top of their needs.  

It’s obviously not unprecedented given what Arizona did with Rosen and Murray, but I’d be shocked if they took a QB. LT is high on their needs. That would be an added bonus of trading him to Cincy; also keeping him from the fish.