Mims

kmnj

1 hour ago, thshadow said:

You might be right.  But if Mims was the first read, it was pretty clear he was going to be wide open a split-second after his stutter.  Right when Fant was getting pushed into his face.  Seems to me that he could have slid left a step or two and had an easy play. 

But it wasn't clear Darnold was even looking at him...

This is the pocket after Sam finished the drop back and properly set his feet:

31070DD9-731B-463A-A620-D68BB55B6BC6.jpeg.9556de63755a7dbf958a3aaa7397265c.jpeg

Here is the rest of the field at this same moment:

6793974E-058C-4A2D-BF48-77DF80B1B03D.jpeg.0ce40455de649254946d6d9e9d204a2f.jpeg

At this point Mims isn’t getting the ball, regardless of who the QB is.  You have a lead, you’re trying to ice the game.  Either roll out and try to make a play or lay down, take the sack to avoid total disaster, and continue running the clock.  Fortunately, Sam knew he had Herndon peeling off underneath and absolutely no one on the Browns defense accounted for him.  

It’s honestly just a great play by Darnold, and I’ve been incredibly hard on him this year.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

At this point Mims isn’t getting the ball, regardless of who the QB is.  You have a lead, you’re trying to ice the game.  Either roll out and try to make a play or lay down, take the sack to avoid total disaster, and continue running the clock.  Fortunately Sam knew he had Herndon peeling off underneath and absolutely no one on the Browns defense accounted for him.  

It’s honestly just a great play by Darnold, and I’ve been incredibly hard on him this year.

Thanks.  (I also didn't remember when in the game that happened.)

• Upvote 1

On 12/28/2020 at 1:06 PM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I've seen enough of Mims to be excited about what could be. I've not seen enough Mims to anoint him as our next great receiver. 

I do not get Stephen Hill or Devin Smith vibes from him at all. 

Pretty much agree.

Also, people killing Smith.   Smith wasn't a bust in the talent regard, he kept getting hurt.   He had a teammate break his ribs in a non contact drill, and then blew an ACL or 2.  To me, that is more bad luck, we'll never really know where he would have been with his talent.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

No, I'm not. There are many clips showing Sam missing guys wide open, that don't show the line breaking down. I've seen more than a few live. The video clip I qouted was originally posted because someone said Mims didn't get any separation. My opinion isn't based on that one clip. If he comes back next year I'll be rooting for him to succeed as he has potential and is an easy guy to root for. That doesn't mean I'm not ready to move on to the next contestant.

The other clips are irrelevant, we are talking about this clip. 

On 12/27/2020 at 9:13 PM, Losmeister said:

there was some stats 40+ yds fist 5 starts or some such, short list Mims was on it

Sam is a game manager who is in love with Crowder crosses at 5 yds deep. 48 for 576 @ 63%

Robby is doing the same in Caro...has 85 catches and 1017  yds @ 71%

Sam is a WR nightmare.

I think that is 80% what Gase calls

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Because! We haven’t drafted a worthy WR in 15 years and when we finally do - I gotta read this trash. 

Are you suggesting he's regularly beating the man covering him?  I certainly don't see it. 

I see a guy that finds holes in zones on occasions and has made some quality contested catches.  But creating separation is something I haven't seen from him.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Are you suggesting he's regularly beating the man covering him?  I certainly don't see it. 

I see a guy that finds holes in zones on occasions and has made some quality contested catches.  But creating separation is something I haven't seen from him.

It’s an incorrect assessment. He is getting separation. You don’t know what his assignments are, nor what route he’s being asked to run and why. All he did was get separation when he needed to. Both in college, senior bowl, and in the NFL. It’s just an erroneous perception that you have. When the ball leaves the quarterback late, what you see is not a lack of separation. 

no one is throwing on time in Gase’s offense

• Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

It’s an incorrect assessment. He is getting separation. You don’t know what his assignments are, nor what route he’s being asked to run and why. All he did was get separation when he needed to. Both in college, senior bowl, and in the NFL. It’s just an erroneous perception that you have. When the ball leaves the quarterback late, what you see is not a lack of separation. 

no one is throwing on time in Gase’s offense

you're talking to a Qanon devotee, science and climate denying flat earther...   question. why?

i can catch the tiny toad in my garden, send him/her to you, he cant type but he can make noises...     i dont think he;s talking about football, but maybe he is?

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, genot said:

This talk, debate, disagreements on Mims is directly related to peoples views on Darnold, Herndon, and others. Nobody should be judged until Gase is gone, and a competent staff is put in place. Gase is that bad.

Except Mims is a rookie. Darnold is three years deep into suck.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, genot said:

Im not comparing them. I know Mims is a rookie. Herndon was a rookie once too. Looked like he had pro bowl potential. What happened. Gase happened.

Gase sucks no dispute there. But we can still judge these guys. Especially guys like Darnold and Herndon three years in.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Gase sucks no dispute there. But we can still judge these guys. Especially guys like Darnold and Herndon three years in.

Let's forget Sam for a second. Did Herndon forget how to run routes? Did he slow down since his rookie year. He was a real threat downfield as a rookie. Probably our best receiver running after the catch. He was Darnold's go to guy when he was in trouble Gase completely neutered him. What idiot would take away a receiver a young QB was developing chemistry with. Especially after losing his favorite outside receiver. Robby.

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Darnold- actually good, despite the stats

Mims- also actually good, despite the stats 

Jets- actually good, despite the record.

Gase- bad

Jets offensive guards- bad

things are looking up boys.

I definitely hear you, but do you think it's fair to lump Mims in with Darnold just yet. Darnold has been here 3 years, and since he sucks, don't you have to see Mims with another QB? Mims is a rookie, after all. 

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Darnold- actually good, despite the stats

Mims- also actually good, despite the stats 

Jets- actually good, despite the record.

Gase- bad

Jets offensive guards- bad

things are looking up boys.

You make a good point.  Not sure you're right, but you sure aren't wrong.  Parcells--you are what your record is.

But it's also true that a weak team makes each player look worse and a strong team makes each player look better.  Sorting the wheat from the chaff is what JD gets paid to do.  Hope he is up to it.

55 minutes ago, genot said:

Let's forget Sam for a second. Did Herndon forget how to run routes? Did he slow down since his rookie year. He was a real threat downfield as a rookie. Probably our best receiver running after the catch. He was Darnold's go to guy when he was in trouble Gase completely neutered him. What idiot would take away a receiver a young QB was developing chemistry with. Especially after losing his favorite outside receiver. Robby.

Gase is a bad coach. We have established that. Not sure what you are trying to debate with me lol 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Gase is a bad coach. We have established that. Not sure what you are trying to debate with me lol 

Im not trying too debate you. My point is TE' s aren't used much in his offense. Didn't work in Miami. Didn't work here. And it, among other things, stymied Darnold.

• Upvote 1