My QB Plan (For Today At Least)

KRL

19 minutes ago, KRL said:

My general off-season plan would be:

- Trade Darnold for a #3 hopefully a #2
- In free agency sign a G (Thuney?), WR (Robinson/Godwin?) and Edge (Judon?)   
- In the draft:
  #1 - Fields or Wilson

If I can't get a second round pick or better for Darnold, I'd carry him into training camp (or into the season if need be) with an eye towards trading him before the deadline. 

If they have Fields and Wilson that close, make that trade work with Cincy and get the #5 pick, their second rounder, and their first in 2022, and then take your choice of the two or whoever's left. Don't see three QBs going in the top four this year. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree, without question, we're taking a QB.

I think it would be insane to do that and then go out and take defense with the next two premium picks.  It would be full-on dereliction of duties.

Both of those picks need...I repeat NEED to be offense or JD should be fired on the spot.

I've been saying that for about 5 years and every year I'm disappointed. I hope it happens this year. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, slats said:

If I can't get a second round pick or better for Darnold, I'd carry him into training camp (or into the season if need be) with an eye towards trading him before the deadline. 

If they have Fields and Wilson that close, make that trade work with Cincy and get the #5 pick, their second rounder, and their first in 2022, and then take your choice of the two or whoever's left. Don't see three QBs going in the top four this year. 

His value — such as it is at this point — drops like a stone once training camps start. Makes no sense to keep him and try to trade him mid-season. That’s a “worst of both worlds” scenario.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, genot said:

Lol. With respect. But still. Lol. Allen elevated his game at the same time Cole Beasley and Stephan Diggs arrived. Coincidence. Hell no. These guys run great routes, get open, and catch the ball. Without that, a young QB, tries to play hero, and forces the issue. Of course the playcalling makes a difference too. Mcdermott vs Gase. No contest.

I kind of agree. You can't replicate what Buffalo did. They had a plan for Josh Allen, and they built an offense tailored to his strengths. It's difficult to do, especially when the players aren't available. What if somebody like Diggs wasn't available? 

Let's not forget, the Bills had a respectable defense and some continuity on their coaching staff. McDermott had been in the job for a while, and knew his team's weaknesses. 

The Jets gotta do it their own way; no point in looking around. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

I don't see the benefit in bringing back Darnold. 

1st, he's not JD's QB

2nd, the Jets will never pick up his 5th year option based on this year. 

3rd, there are better trade options (Minshew/Wentz) if they don't want to draft a QB at #2.

4th, Wilson or Fields can't play much worse than Darnold has this year. 

Darnold will be a star QB in this league. You will be ordering multiple Darnold love dolls, after wearing out the first one you received

• Haha 1

Just now, jgb said:

His value — such as it is at this point — drops like a stone once training camps start. Makes no sense to keep him and try to trade him mid-season. That’s a “worst of both worlds” scenario.

Not only that but the Jets have to decide on his 5th year option prior to training camp, which they'll decline of course. Which then puts him on the last year of his deal which would lower his trade value as well. He would need to be gone by FA in order to maximize his value. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I've been saying that for about 5 years and every year I'm disappointed. I hope it happens this year. 

Team desperately needs a stud WR or RB. Somebody young, that can put up 1000 yard seasons over and over. 

They haven't had one in over a decade. Marshall and Decker had that one big season in 2015, but other than that...the offense has consistently been one of the league's worst. Defenses don't fear the Jets. 

I wouldn't mind throwing money at a Chris Godwin in FA. He's 24, model professional. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I don't see the benefit in bringing back Darnold. 

1st, he's not JD's QB

2nd, the Jets will never pick up his 5th year option based on this year. 

3rd, there are better trade options (Minshew/Wentz) if they don't want to draft a QB at #2.

4th, Wilson or Fields can't play much worse than Darnold has this year. 

I agree completely.  Plus he will be ‘dead qb walking’ and everyone would know it.  He needs to go.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, predator_05 said:

I kind of agree. You can't replicate what Buffalo did. They had a plan for Josh Allen, and they built an offense tailored to his strengths. It's difficult to do, especially when the players aren't available. What if somebody like Diggs wasn't available? 

Let's not forget, the Bills had a respectable defense and some continuity on their coaching staff. McDermott had been in the job for a while, and knew his team's weaknesses. 

The Jets gotta do it their own way; no point in looking around. 

That's right. Defense counts. Offense has more chances to put up points. Field position counts. I say this ad nauseum. It's a team game. It's not tennis. We need to double dip at WR, in the off season. Our outside guys at this point are a jike against a good defense

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Agree, but only if they have Fields and Wilson that close. If they have one a full standard deviation above the other, I think they have to pull the trigger at 1.02 

32 minutes ago, KRL said:

I've been totally "wishy-washy" about whether to bring Darnold back or to move on.
But in this post I'm going to say move on.  Why?  Because one draft spot shouldn't
change the evaluation of Darnold's performance.  If we got the #1 spot Douglas would've
put Darnold on the market immediately, no questions asked.  Should being in the #2 spot
change his thought process that drastically?  Granted there's a "perceived" difference
between Lawrence and Fields or Wilson (we'll see) but there's no difference in Darnold's
performance.  He's been uneven and below average no matter what our draft position is.
I say re-start the "QB $$$ clock" and use what BUF did with Josh Allen as our model to
reset the QB position.  In 2018 there is no QB I wanted less than Josh Allen, he was a
physical freak who had poor accuracy and "wet the bed" against decent competition.  In
3 years a good offensive staff has grown Allen in every facet of QB play until he's now
a legitimate MVP candidate.  You could've never convinced me that Allen would ever be a
QB that could complete 68% of his passes:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3918298/josh-allen

So I'm going to put the pressure on Douglas and his staff to:

- Find the right HC with an innovative offensive staff who has a real plan to grow a QB
- Properly evaluate Fields and Wilson and pull the trigger

My general off-season plan would be:

- Trade Darnold for a #3 hopefully a #2
- In free agency sign a G (Thuney?), WR (Robinson/Godwin?) and Edge (Judon?)   
- In the draft:
  #1 - Fields or Wilson
  #1 - BPA CB or Edge
  #2 - BPA CB or Edge (whatever we don't pick with our second #1)
  #3 - BPA WR
  #3 - BPA OL
  #3 - BPA RB  

My 2 cents until I probably change my mind

Don't know how you did this but you took points from my various posts and condensed them into one concise post. Well done. 

11 minutes ago, slats said:

From the jet fan perspective, we want major trade value for darnold.  Many want him to stay.  I doubt douglas feels the same.  I think he’ll take reasonable trade value for him and move on.  

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

I think they’ll get a second or better if they put him on the market. His value to the league is still higher than it is on this board, especially those rushing to be right about players sucking. 

But if they don’t get that, he’ll retain that value and it could go up rather quickly if another team lost their starter. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Yes.  

Scheme defense.  We have some of the young kids really starting to play well.

QB is pretty much the only thing that matters.  Give him the tools and weapons to learn the game.  In a few years, when he's figured out the game and can carry the team - draft defense to your hearts content - QB should be able to elevate the team by then.

Right now - it's offense, offense and more offense.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Agree, but only if they have Fields and Wilson that close. If they have one a full standard deviation above the other, I think they have to pull the trigger at 1.02 

Wilson will separate himself at the combine, if he throws there.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Ultimately everything starts with these qb evals.  If douglas and the new hc/OC want one, i think they don’t get cute esp. with atl and Carolina and who knows who else waiting there to snap them up.  A team like Denver could swoop in, elway really wants his guy and lock sucks.  I think we go qb at 2 unless douglas really gets a haul to trade back, kinda like how he fleeced Seattle with the adams trade.  He could still get a qb at 4-5, then use day 2 to restock the offensive weaponry.

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I loved Darnold but he's the worst QB from that draft not named Rosen.

Hey man. Look. I respect everybody's views here.Obviously yours too. I just think your wrong about Sam. He's been continuously put in a bad position that made it difficult for him to be comfortable and grow in the position.I have faith in Douglas. I believe he see' s the same thing, and this off season he fixes the things that have held Darnold back. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

I think they’ll get a second or better if they put him on the market. His value to the league is still higher than it is on this board, especially those rushing to be right about players sucking. 

But if they don’t get that, he’ll retain that value and it could go up rather quickly if another team lost their starter. 

I actually question how much value darnold has, his tape is awful, he’s regressed from his rookie year and he’s been injured each season.  His tools are not elite either.  Maybe a 2nd.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I actually question how much value darnold has, his tape is awful, he’s regressed from his rookie year and he’s been injured each season.  His tools are not elite either.  Maybe a 2nd.

There are probably 31 NFL teams who believe they would’ve done a much better job with Darnold, and they’re right. But all it takes is one. I’m optimistic that JD will do well if/when he moves him. 

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, QB1 said:

I don’t disagree.

The move here is to take Fields who is an elite top tier athlete like Allen. Built like a tank, Cannon, accurate, 4.4 speed, elusive. The guy has a higher QBR than TL for Christ’s sake. And pair him with Daboll or Roman. 

If Fields beats the hell out of Trevor then I will be interested.  Watching him 4 times, I haven't been impressed. Small sample size for sure. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, genot said:

Hey man. Look. I respect everybody's views here.Obviously yours too. I just think your wrong about Sam. He's been continuously put in a bad position that made it difficult for him to be comfortable and grow in the position.I have faith in Douglas. I believe he see' s the same thing, and this off season he fixes the things that have held Darnold back. 

What has held him back is his inaccuracy and bad decision making. You can put him with 2 HOF WR's and those things wouldn't change. 

• Post of the Week 2

5 minutes ago, slats said:

There are probably 31 NFL teams who believe they would’ve done a much better job with Darnold, and they’re right. But all it takes is one. I’m optimistic that JD will do well if/when he moves him. 

Perhaps, but that doesn’t mean that a team will be willing to dole out multiple high draft picks for him.  

• Upvote 1