My QB Plan (For Today At Least)

KRL

Reality check.

No free agents are coming here.  They never do and they won't start now.  Posting plans to get Thuney, Arob and Godwin are a waste of keyboard strokes.  The top free agents are not stupid and don't have a hot wife that wants to move to NYC for her career.

No one is trading a high draft pick for Darnold.  QB's are cheap now, it's a buyers market.  You can get one in the draft for free this year - there's like 5 of them, or get a "project" for almost free - darnold, wentz, trubiski, minshew, or buy one in FA - dak, winston.  Teams will wait for us to release Darnold and then pick him up for nothing.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Teams will wait for us to release Darnold and then pick him up for nothing or if they're stupid, offer a 6th.

you're right except for the last sentence

JD has been given orders by Woodrow to run this team like Green Bay

that means there isn't going to be a FA spent and the floor of the Sam Darnold situation is the 3rd round 2022 comp pick JD dreams about at night

if we can parlay his 1 year into a career, JD values draft picks, especially mid rounders and takes boom bust physical prospects who have trouble staying healthy. He either doesn't know how to or doesn't prioritize big ticket FA signings. and he can't find a PK for love or money 

My plan.

Draft Fields.  

Start Darnold next year with gadget plays for Fields.  After 10 games, let Fields play full time.  After the season, offer Darnold a backup QB contract and roll with Fields.  QB money is reset and we have a top ten pick.

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

that means there isn't going to be a FA spent and the floor of the Sam Darnold situation is the 3rd round 2022 comp pick JD dreams about at night

This is a dream for sure.  Third round comp pick means some team signs him for starter money and Sam delivers.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

What significant flaws or question marks does Fields have ? If Lawrence went back to Clemson for his Sr year , all QB needy teams would be battling to take Fields at #1  So everyone is saying the #2 pick is too risky to take a QB that may be your FQB but its not too risky to take a OLman that wouldn't have played in like 2 years or trade down do you can "Hope" Sam can right the ship . 

Not entirely sure, but I think Fields has less collage starts than Sanchez had. And Ohio State’s reputation for creating NFL QBs isn’t any better than USC’s, which we collectively dismissed once the Jets drafted Darnold. It’s the small body of work that concerns me the most, though. I don’t hate on the guy at all, but that’s a real issue. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Not entirely sure, but I think Fields has less collage starts than Sanchez had. And Ohio State’s reputation for creating NFL QBs isn’t any better than USC’s, which we collectively dismissed once the Jets drafted Darnold. It’s the small body of work that concerns me the most, though. I don’t hate on the guy at all, but that’s a real issue. 

A small body of work is a valid concern just like Trevor and Wilson facing so-so competition . The argument about what school a QB comes from is by and far the most asinine argument I've heard ad nauseum.

It must be nice to have that kind of time and those receivers. Good news is we' re in a position to really improve our talent level this off season. We' re getting close to being a top flight defense. We need to go all out in free agency and get one of those top receivers

Let’s hope for the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, jgb said:

All of the opinions that don't related to drafting a QB with our top pick -- draft an OL, draft down, hang onto Darnold until mid-season -- they are all just different ways of expressing hope in Darnold. People really want him to work out. I mean yeah, I'd love it if he became the #1 QB turnaround story in NFL history -- because that's what it would take, at this point. But JD is a terrible GM if that's his strategy -- wait/pray for an unprecedented turnaround.

And that belief in Darnold being able to develop into a QB you can win with comes to this, name me on QB taken in the top 3 who has been given less to work with that he has.  Not others who before him were taken high and failed but as a highly regarded QB and given nothing, absolutely nothing to work with either in players or coaching.  

Because I cant seem to come up with any highly touted prospect being put into similar scenarios