Justin Fields vs Trevor Lawrence

QB1

I think Lawrence is the better prospect, but I also significantly prefer Fields to Wilson. If the Jets do indeed hire Martindale from Baltimore, I’d have to think he would be intrigued by selecting Fields after seeing what Lamar Jackson has done for Baltimore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Man the more I look into this kid we may be criminally underrating him 

From a pure athlete perspective he is incredible. Built like a tank, runs 4.4, cannon for an arm. He is the kind of pure talent that is usually reserved for the #1 pick. 

He is a very accurate passer, impossible to bring down, fantastic runner.

Has a better Passing rating, QBR and PFF rating than TL.

He is so calm in the pocket that he can give the impression of playing slow, but I don’t think he is. He holds the ball a lot because he can, he is so good at making guys miss, reminds me of a Russell Wilson or Josh Allen hybrid. 

Watch his worst game vs Indiana. He throws a couple of terrible picks but still hangs in there and delivers strike after strike and really shows off his running ability.

Compare this to Lawrence vs VT a couple of weeks ago. I think this was just as bad of a game by Lawrence, he just got lucky that a couple of would be picks were dropped. 

These guys have been tied at the hip since high school. As high school prospects they were both historically highly rated. Fields outplayed TL at the elite 11 camp. Since coming to college Fields has been better statistically. 

These guys are so similar. Both are mostly 1 read QBs right now. They both highly depend on running the football. As a pure runner and thrower I think Fields is objectively better. In fact I find the amount of running that Lawrence does to be a little off putting considering he isn’t that incredible of an athlete.

The game this Friday is HUGE. If fields out plays Trevor I think he is the slam dunk #2 pick and should probably be so regardless.

If Douglas falls in love with this kid and we pair him with a Daboll or Roman we could have something special.

Thank You!!

Sound reasons.   I am not a big fan but so what!

i was wrong about 1000s of folks!

If JD thinks we should go Fields, I will support it 100%!!

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGene said:

reality check: folks on here who justify fields are clearly those who are so proud of the jets after their last 2 wins...but they'll be back here moaning and groaning next year....self-fulfilling prophecy...

Yes because Trevor Lawrence is a gift from the gods to the sport of football. Knock it off, it’s going to be so tragic if he winds up having an average career.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGene said:

reality check: folks on here who justify fields are clearly those who are so proud of the jets after their last 2 wins...but they'll be back here moaning and groaning next year....self-fulfilling prophecy...

Fair question....

What do you think that we should do?

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Thread never exists if we're picking #1. 

Not true. I said I liked Fields over Lawrence a while ago as did a few other people on here. I don't watch a lot of college ball but I checked out some highlights and some games.

I like Fields style of play better and I think he's tougher. His attitude and his build are better for the Northeast.

I also think from what I saw that he's got a stronger arm. Not to say they're not all talented quarterbacks, but I think in this town on this team you need to have a chip on your shoulder. I think that's been the problem with these Cali boys we keep bringing in.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I'll admit I haven't watched enough of Fields but watching this Indiana tape has me hyped up. He feels so similar to Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson. 

I thought Mahomes was going to be Great and didn't think much of Watson.  Fields reminds me of Watson, so I will be wrong again and the guy already has his place in the HOF!! So lets get Fields and prove me wrong and that I don't squat about picking a College QB!  :) 

The question is that Fields may be as good as Burrows so then we should take him IMO....

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Fields has millions of dollars on the line Friday, let's see how he deals with that pressure

Put it this way , he's not going to be picked #1 , so why is there pressure. Even if he performs poorly against Clemson he's a shoe-in top 10 pick. He will be a NFL QB either way and IMO should be the #2 pick for the Jets regardless of what happens Friday . 

• Haha 1

All of us & the people who get paid to scout these guys are wrong all the time! 
If they weren’t Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Justin Herbert, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rogers, Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, would all have been 1st or 2nd overall picks in their respective drafts. 
QBs stir the drink! 

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

That Indiana tape is virtually the only Fields stuff I've watched, and from that he looks like a "tools" guy but a poor decision-maker.  But I'm sure it's not fair to judge a guy based on his worst game, or one of them.

Yes, watch games from earlier in the season or last season to get a full flavor or what he is as a prospect. If you looked at Lawrence's film from last years National Championship Game , you might be saying how is this guy being mentioned as a can't miss prospect. 

3 hours ago, QB1 said:

From a pure athlete perspective he is incredible. Built like a tank, runs 4.4, cannon for an arm. He is the kind of pure talent that is usually reserved for the #1 pick. 

He is so calm in the pocket that he can give the impression of playing slow, but I don’t think he is. He holds the ball a lot because he can, he is so good at making guys miss, reminds me of a Russell Wilson or Josh Allen hybrid. 

Watch his worst game vs Indiana. He throws a couple of terrible picks but still hangs in there and delivers strike after strike and really shows off his running ability.

Compare this to Lawrence vs VT a couple of weeks ago. I think this was just as bad of a game by Lawrence, he just got lucky that a couple of would be picks were dropped. 

These guys have been tied at the hip since high school. As high school prospects they were both historically highly rated. Fields outplayed TL at the elite 11 camp. Since coming to college Fields has been better statistically. 

These guys are so similar. Both are mostly 1 read QBs right now. They both highly depend on running the football. As a pure runner and thrower I think Fields is objectively better. In fact I find the amount of running that Lawrence does to be a little off putting considering he isn’t that incredible of an athlete.

The game this Friday is HUGE. If fields out plays Trevor I think he is the slam dunk #2 pick and should probably be so regardless.

If Douglas falls in love with this kid and we pair him with a Daboll or Roman we could have something special.

Nice tape for his worst game.  Ball security seems to be an issue but hes got russel Wilson type moves .  Based on the Indy game I think Clemson is going to be in his face all day so it will be a good test.

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

It already exists in the draft forum.  We've been having this conversation.

Who needs the draft forum when you can watch one bowl game and become convinced a guy is a savior? I mean, just look at Mark Sanchez and Sam Darnold against Penn State in the Rose Bowl.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, QB1 said:

They both suck

18 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It doesn't matter how Fields compares to Lawrence. 

What matters to us is how does Fields on year 1 of his rookie contract compare to Darnold on year 4 of his rookie contract? 

Fields or Wilson, I don’t care; that’ll sort itself out before April. Just get rid of Darnold. I cannot watch him anymore, he’s that bad. 

• Upvote 1

Watched Fields on TV vs NW and wasn't a fan.  Looking at the Indiana tape, there are some good things.  Yeah a lot of RPO, but he was under duress a lot in that tape.  Forced him to move, away from the single read and make actual decisions.  Weird play that stood out to me - That one play on there where he's getting pressure coming from the 2nd level thru the A Gap, takes 2 nice hits, gets out of the pocket and throws it away.