Justin Fields vs Trevor Lawrence

QB1

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

I think Lawrence is the better prospect, but I also significantly prefer Fields to Wilson. If the Jets do indeed hire Martindale from Baltimore, I’d have to think he would be intrigued by selecting Fields after seeing what Lamar Jackson has done for Baltimore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me Fields is probably a better passer than Lamar, but not as good of a runner. He is bigger though.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

That Indiana tape is virtually the only Fields stuff I've watched, and from that he looks like a "tools" guy but a poor decision-maker.  But I'm sure it's not fair to judge a guy based on his worst game, or one of them.

he looked bad vs Indiana and worse vs NW

it will be very interesting to see how he performs against the best CFB defense in the country 

if he balls out against Clemson, shoot i'd become a believer

he is a rare athlete something I've bashed Sam for not being 

but the more worrying aspect is the time he holds the ball

it's not 2.5 seconds more like double that 

3 out of his 5 starters are NFL draft picks  

he's not going to have that time  in the AFC east or wherever 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

To me Fields is probably a better passer than Lamar, but not as good of a runner. He is bigger though.

Lamar Jackson's passing was hugely underrated when he was a prospect and remains underrated to this day 

he puts his foot in the ground and slings it, quick release 

Fields has slow decision making and ponderous release 

Did you guys watch Lawrence vs VT? Should have thrown three terrible picks

He played well vs ND but he did have a terrible INT to a LB

TL ain’t perfect, he’s a one read RPO QB just like fields. It seems like half of TLs game is running the ball- which ain’t happening in the NFL

I would take TL over fields, but Fields is intriguing. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Lamar Jackson's passing was hugely underrated when he was a prospect and remains underrated to this day 

he puts his foot in the ground and slings it, quick release 

Fields has slow decision making and ponderous release 

He is fine as long as he can throw down the middle.  Outside the numbers he struggles badly.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

He is fine as long as he can throw down the middle.  Outside the numbers he struggles badly.

that's probably an accurate assessment 

he's still getting it out quickly or running 

Fields burps the baby like Geno or late stage Sanchez 

he's an amazing athlete but 

it's one of those fatal flaws im not sure can be coached out of a player 

• Upvote 2

I'm still a big believer in Fields. If Joe likes him enough to take him at 2, I'll fully support it.

My dream is to trade down slightly with someone who wants Sewell and still get him, but that's risky.

If the Jets believe he's a potential franchise QB, they should take him at 2.

Everything about him is off. His pocket presence, his mechanics. The arm talent is a myth, his passes sail on him with nearly every sideline throw. So many throws that cannot happen in the NFL.

He has some ability and his running skills could be deadly with the right coaching but it’s genuinely unbelievable that this is a #2 prospect. He’s a guy you maybe take a flyer on late in the 1st.

I think we’re going to take him or Wilson so I’ve made my piece with it. But I’m not a fan of either and to compare them to Lawrence is honestly quite laughable, as most objective observers would agree. If we got him I wouldn’t be against sitting him for a season because there’s a lot he needs work on.

44 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Everything about him is off. His pocket presence, his mechanics. The arm talent is a myth, his passes sail on him with nearly every sideline throw. So many throws that cannot happen in the NFL.

He has some ability and his running skills could be deadly with the right coaching but it’s genuinely unbelievable that this is a #2 prospect. He’s a guy you maybe take a flyer on late in the 1st.

I think we’re going to take him or Wilson so I’ve made my piece with it. But I’m not a fan of either and to compare them to Lawrence is honestly quite laughable, as most objective observers would agree. If we got him I wouldn’t be against sitting him for a season because there’s a lot he needs work on.

Couldn’t disagree more. There are like perfect 5 sidelines throws in the Northwestern game alone (which is supposed to be his worst game). His throwing mechanics are textbook.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

he looked bad vs Indiana and worse vs NW

it will be very interesting to see how he performs against the best CFB defense in the country 

if he balls out against Clemson, shoot i'd become a believer

he is a rare athlete something I've bashed Sam for not being 

but the more worrying aspect is the time he holds the ball

it's not 2.5 seconds more like double that 

3 out of his 5 starters are NFL draft picks  

he's not going to have that time  in the AFC east or wherever 

Watson held the ball in college and still does

5 hours ago, QB1 said:

Man the more I look into this kid we may be criminally underrating him 

From a pure athlete perspective he is incredible. Built like a tank, runs 4.4, cannon for an arm. He is the kind of pure talent that is usually reserved for the #1 pick. 

He is a very accurate passer, impossible to bring down, fantastic runner.

Has a better Passing rating, QBR and PFF rating than TL.

He is so calm in the pocket that he can give the impression of playing slow, but I don’t think he is. He holds the ball a lot because he can, he is so good at making guys miss, reminds me of a Russell Wilson or Josh Allen hybrid. 

Watch his worst game vs Indiana. He throws a couple of terrible picks but still hangs in there and delivers strike after strike and really shows off his running ability.

Compare this to Lawrence vs VT a couple of weeks ago. I think this was just as bad of a game by Lawrence, he just got lucky that a couple of would be picks were dropped. 

These guys have been tied at the hip since high school. As high school prospects they were both historically highly rated. Fields outplayed TL at the elite 11 camp. Since coming to college Fields has been better statistically. 

These guys are so similar. Both are mostly 1 read QBs right now. They both highly depend on running the football. As a pure runner and thrower I think Fields is objectively better. In fact I find the amount of running that Lawrence does to be a little off putting considering he isn’t that incredible of an athlete.

The game this Friday is HUGE. If fields out plays Trevor I think he is the slam dunk #2 pick and should probably be so regardless.

If Douglas falls in love with this kid and we pair him with a Daboll or Roman we could have something special.

Lawrence is light years ahead of Fields and this is not even up for debate. If we don't get Lawrence I say keep Darnold at this point. Justin Fields is NOT the answer, at ALL.

The end!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

quoted for truth 

it's still December by the way 

guys value change a ton between now and Draft

maybe the Jets sit tight and wait for a fields/wilson/trask fall at that 2nd 1st rd pick or even top of rd 2

I'd be more willing to believe the Pass rusher from Miami, the Michigan OT or WR from LSU/Bama as being blue chip players worthy of a top 5 than either of these QB 

the QB need is real and guys get pushed up but also guys saying Ryan Nassib is a 1st rd pick after the Pinstripe bowl and by April he's a 4th rounder 

meanwhile what will Sewell's value be when he's spent a year in IMG academy and shows up 350 or whatever and jacked running a 4.8 or whatever  

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Watson 12 overall 

Wilson 3rd round 

this player Fields has value 

it's just not 2 overall value 

The only reason Wilson wasn’t a top 3 pick was because he is 5”10

Watsons has below average measure arm strength 

Just now, bitonti said:

quoted for truth 

it's still December by the way 

guys value change a ton between now and Draft

maybe the Jets sit tight and wait for a fields/wilson/trask fall at that 2nd 1st rd pick or even top of rd 2

I'd be more willing to believe the Pass rusher from Miami, the Michigan OT or WR from LSU/Bama as being blue chip players worthy of a top 5 than either of these QB 

the QB need is real and guys get pushed up but also guys saying Ryan Nassib is a 1st rd pick after the Pinstripe bowl and by April he's a 4th rounder 

meanwhile what with Sewell's value be when he's spent a year in IMG academy and shows up 350 or whatever and jacked 

I think you are talking about Zach Wilson. Justin Fields was 1a to Trevor Lawrence coming out of high school. Then proceeded to dominate in college putting up better passing numbers than TL. He has elite physical attributes in away that you measure them. He is the exact type of player that goes in the top of the draft. 

1 minute ago, QB1 said:

The only reason Wilson wasn’t a top 3 pick was because he is 5”10

Watsons has below average measure arm strength 

im not disagreeing or going back in time on these guys

just saying a 2 pick has to be special 

these guys are obviously flawed and so are the 2 QBs after Trevor 

7 minutes ago, RJIII said:

Lawrence is light years ahead of Fields and this is not even up for debate. If we don't get Lawrence I say keep Darnold at this point. Justin Fields is NOT the answer, at ALL.

The end!

Light years ahead in terms of what? Fields has put up better numbers the last 2 years. 

Just now, bitonti said:

im not disagreeing or going back in time on these guys

just saying a 2 pick has to be special 

these guys are obviously flawed and so are the 2 QBs after Trevor 

100% agree that the #2 pick has to be special

Justin Fields has been special forever 

he was one of the most hyped high school athletes ever right with Trevor Lawrence 

He outplayed Trevor in the elite 11 camp 

He has outplayed Trevor in college 

He is built like a tank, has 4.4 speed, a cannon and is extremely accurate 

not sure what more anyone could want

22 minutes ago, QB1 said:

I think you are talking about Zach Wilson. Justin Fields was 1a to Trevor Lawrence coming out of high school. Then proceeded to dominate in college putting up better passing numbers than TL. He has elite physical attributes in away that you measure them. He is the exact type of player that goes in the top of the draft. 

Justin Fields transferred from Georgia let's start there he was the number whatever prospect out of high school and couldn't get passed Jake Fromm was it? 

he does have elite physical attributes

I am concerned by how he plays against legit defenses

this game vs Clemson is a HUGE test

let it be known I have eaten crow before if Fields goes out and balls like crazy vs the best D in the nation, with everyone sitting home watching, I can see a Vince Young like rise to the top of the draft. It's feasible he's worth 2 

if however he looks like he did vs Indiana and Northwestern, it's fair to wonder if he can make the leap to beating pro defenses 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1