Justin Fields vs Trevor Lawrence

QB1

1 minute ago, QB1 said:

not sure what more anyone could want

I want him to get the ball out on time 

maybe he was just feeling after effects from Covid or whatever (that whole team had an outbreak around the NW game) 

but for a guy with that resume, QB1 on netflix etc he's looked fairly trash this year inside the pocket 

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Watson 12 overall 

Wilson 3rd round 

this player Fields has value 

it's just not 2 overall value 

They were taken that low because of people who thought like you, if we could re-draft they would go top 5 easily. How isn’t Fields not worth the second overall pick when we are all saying teams would probably trade up with us to get him or Wilson? 

That’s a big contradiction, can’t have it both ways 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Justin Fields transferred from Georgia let's start there he was the number whatever prospect out of high school and couldn't get passed Jake Fromm was it? 

he does have elite physical attributes

I am concerned by how long he plays against legit defenses

this game vs Clemson is a HUGE test

let it be known I have eaten crow before if Fields goes out and balls like crazy vs the best D in the nation, with everyone sitting home watching, I can see a Vince Young like rise to the top of the draft. It's feasible he's worth 2 

if however he looks like he did vs Indiana and Northwestern, it's fair to wonder if he can make the leap to beating pro defenses 

Jake Fromm was a great college QB that nearly won a natty the year before. Trevor Lawrence wouldn’t have started if Watson was still at Clemson. 

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

You’re really comparing that LSU defence to Northwestern?

Actually they're really not that far apart . Last year LSU's D was good but not great , their offense carried that team in many games .  I'm an avid LSU fan I watched every game last year they had some solid pieces (Queen, Delpit, Chiasion , Phillips) but they were far from being dominant on D .

Plus the NW DC's game plan was drawn up to take away Fields from beating them , which is why the OSU RB carved them up for over 300+ yards. People look at stats or watch highlight films and have no idea the context of a game  

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

So only the most recent games matter. The Jets are 2-0 and steaming ahead to the SB I guess. 

Nah, you have an agenda for Fields, and that's cool.   Right after the Indiana game I made a post defending Fields, and said the gap between him and lawrence wasn't as big as the media was playing out.  Then he put  another stinker up against Northwestern. Got to be concerned.  I'm not stupid I've got to step back and look at the kid closer.   Friday is his Super Bowl.  If he plays outstanding I'll be good with him again.

Putting up games from a year ago with a 21 year old kid is silly.  People at that age change BIG TIME in a year.  When I went into the Marine Corp at 19, I looked like Ichabod Crane, at 21 I looked like an NCAA TE (with bad hands :) )

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Jake Fromm was a great college QB that nearly won a natty the year before. Trevor Lawrence wouldn’t have started if Watson was still at Clemson. 

Jake Fromm also started as a true freshman, replacing the guy who came before him Jacob Eason 

guys find a way into the lineup 

QB1 kind of transferred his way into the job

just getting your user name by the way 

8 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

They were taken that low because of people who thought like you, if we could re-draft they would go top 5 easily. How isn’t Fields not worth the second overall pick when we are all saying teams would probably trade up with us to get him or Wilson? 

That’s a big contradiction, can’t have it both ways 

I don't believe teams will trade up for Fields or Wilson. Unless Fields has a signature win against Clemson they aren't worth top 5

not in hindsight, foresight or any other kind of pre-cog sight

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, QB1 said:

Man the more I look into this kid we may be criminally underrating him 

From a pure athlete perspective he is incredible. Built like a tank, runs 4.4, cannon for an arm. He is the kind of pure talent that is usually reserved for the #1 pick. 

He is a very accurate passer, impossible to bring down, fantastic runner.

Has a better Passing rating, QBR and PFF rating than TL.

He is so calm in the pocket that he can give the impression of playing slow, but I don’t think he is. He holds the ball a lot because he can, he is so good at making guys miss, reminds me of a Russell Wilson or Josh Allen hybrid. 

Watch his worst game vs Indiana. He throws a couple of terrible picks but still hangs in there and delivers strike after strike and really shows off his running ability.

Compare this to Lawrence vs VT a couple of weeks ago. I think this was just as bad of a game by Lawrence, he just got lucky that a couple of would be picks were dropped. 

These guys have been tied at the hip since high school. As high school prospects they were both historically highly rated. Fields outplayed TL at the elite 11 camp. Since coming to college Fields has been better statistically. 

These guys are so similar. Both are mostly 1 read QBs right now. They both highly depend on running the football. As a pure runner and thrower I think Fields is objectively better. In fact I find the amount of running that Lawrence does to be a little off putting considering he isn’t that incredible of an athlete.

The game this Friday is HUGE. If fields out plays Trevor I think he is the slam dunk #2 pick and should probably be so regardless.

If Douglas falls in love with this kid and we pair him with a Daboll or Roman we could have something special.

Yeah, Dilfer and NFL evaluators he knows said Fields pretty much does everything, people says he does not do.......

Example, I keep hearing how he has no anticipation, but he has the best deep ball accuracy in the nation. These are essentially, anticipation throws. He can also go to his 4th read need be.

They also say he does not throw guys open. If you watch the film, most of his ints are anticipation throws in which he and the WR are not on the same page; aka Clemson and Northwestern (Although Justin was a little late on the NW one, but was still a throw predicated on a developing route). Those boneheaded tosses while falling with a defender on your back......Yeah....not even gonna defend those......

My thing is, if folks don't like Justin....That is 100% fine. However, don't lie about his skill-set, when the film and statistics say otherwise. I truly don't understand the motive behind that......This isn't the 1980s lol, google is out best friend now and days lol.

Now, Justin is not perfect, nor is Lawrence. QBs like Justin, require a team to be all in. Remember, organizations did not even want to take a chance on Watson after he won the title..............

I think he falls to San Fran. Him with Shanahan offense and that defense......Woooooweeee!!!!! Think RG3, but this guy is actually a QB who can make all the throws. Fields has no issues being under center.

49ers are not underrated the kid......LOL......I would not trade up, because you won't have to tbh. 49ers media thinks you should.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-should-trade-2021-nfl-draft-justin-fields-donte-whitner-says

He aint no Haskins......

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/justin-fields-different-ohio-state-qbs

I feel, he may drop to SF. Being injured during bowl week will do him no favors. Thus, he may have an "Okay" game. So, he will fall into SF lap.

He wil be a great pro, due to his deep ball accuracy. The league is set up for these explosive plays now and days. Add on his mobility? Kid gonna be a problem........

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Nah, you have an agenda for Fields, and that's cool.   Right after the Indiana game I made a post defending Fields, and said the gap between him and lawrence wasn't as big as the media was playing out.  Then he put  another stinker up against Northwestern. Got to be concerned.  I'm not stupid I've got to step back and look at the kid closer.   Friday is his Super Bowl.  If he plays outstanding I'll be good with him again.

Putting up games from a year ago with a 21 year old kid is silly.  People at that age change BIG TIME in a year.  When I went into the Marine Corp at 19, I looked like Ichabod Crane, at 21 I looked like an NCAA TE (with bad hands :) )

And again , I'll say I'm glad the Jets GM and scouts will not judge him the same way. No one game in a guys college career should be used as a real gauge as to how a player will succeed in the pros. I mentioned the Lawrence game against LSU just to point out how absued it is to judge a player by one good or bad game.

A prime example of that is our own Sammy and his Rose bowl game. 

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, QB1 said:

I just watched that. I don't understand what people see in this kid. I get that this was his 'worst game', but wow.

He's inaccurate on all three levels, his pocket awareness is terrible, his running ability doesn't look fluid - looks much more like a good athlete that can outrun college d-lineman - but no real vision or elusiveness, his ball placement sucks, his ball velocity isn't anything to write home about and he made numerous game changing negative plays.

On top of that, clearly #2 and #5 on Ohio State are ballers and seem to be open nearly every play. 

I just don't see anything worthy of a top 10 selection, let alone a top 64 selection.

Hard pass. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, QB1 said:

Man the more I look into this kid we may be criminally underrating him 

From a pure athlete perspective he is incredible. Built like a tank, runs 4.4, cannon for an arm. He is the kind of pure talent that is usually reserved for the #1 pick. 

He is a very accurate passer, impossible to bring down, fantastic runner.

Has a better Passing rating, QBR and PFF rating than TL.

He is so calm in the pocket that he can give the impression of playing slow, but I don’t think he is. He holds the ball a lot because he can, he is so good at making guys miss, reminds me of a Russell Wilson or Josh Allen hybrid. 

Watch his worst game vs Indiana. He throws a couple of terrible picks but still hangs in there and delivers strike after strike and really shows off his running ability.

Compare this to Lawrence vs VT a couple of weeks ago. I think this was just as bad of a game by Lawrence, he just got lucky that a couple of would be picks were dropped. 

These guys have been tied at the hip since high school. As high school prospects they were both historically highly rated. Fields outplayed TL at the elite 11 camp. Since coming to college Fields has been better statistically. 

These guys are so similar. Both are mostly 1 read QBs right now. They both highly depend on running the football. As a pure runner and thrower I think Fields is objectively better. In fact I find the amount of running that Lawrence does to be a little off putting considering he isn’t that incredible of an athlete.

The game this Friday is HUGE. If fields out plays Trevor I think he is the slam dunk #2 pick and should probably be so regardless.

If Douglas falls in love with this kid and we pair him with a Daboll or Roman we could have something special.

I have to be honest, I don't love either of these guys,

Fields I think will struggle in the NFL because he has limited field vision and does not throw with anticipation. He waits for someone to be open and then uses his arm to hit him. That approach IMO does not work as well in the NFL. On every throw there is just this slight pause that you don't see with top NFL QBs  or Wilson for that matter. His wind up release is also a negative for NFL QBs. When he is mobile he seems almost shockingly unaware of his pursuers. I think he will take a lot of huge hits running in the NFL. His pocket awareness is average at best. He does have a big arm and is a good runner so teams will seem L Jackson with him. But I just do not like him as a long term elite QB.

The Lawrence hype is so overblown. Most of his passes are short safe throws. He has a good but not great arm. But he is just not impressive throwing down the field. As of this video he was 13/34 on passes longer than 20 yards. He has 546 yards so YPA on paper looks good, but also 5TD and 2 INT and he has elite weapons for YAC. That type of performance throwing down the field is against college teams so he will likely be less successfull in the NFL. He has prototypical size and obviously has had incredible success at every level of competition so far, including winning the Championship as a freshman. Still, I am not convinced it is because he is such a generational talent as much as being on great teams. I just do not see it with Lawrence. I am not convinced he will be elite in the NFL. One thing is that he will be treated as elite in the NFL so that will help him like it did Luck.

If we do not take Wilson, I would not take QB at 2 and try and get Mac Jones who I think will transition to the NFL well, with some limitations.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GothamLurker said:

Those boneheaded tosses while falling with a defender on your back......Yeah....not even gonna defend those......

My thing is, if folks don't like Justin....That is 100% fine. However, don't lie about his skill-set, 

I like Justin Fields and his skillset  

and you are right the statistics back up his production is great 

but he has these moments in big games that are just bad you say so yourself and then go on to defend the guy for 500 more words

I've never seen a team just abandon the forward pass the way Ohio St did against NW 

the coaches decided that passing was too risky so they just ran  and ran and ran this transfer RB into 300 plus yards

because Fields was hurting the team every time he dropped back to pass 

it was literally a horror show every time Fields tried to pass, so they stopped passing

it's 2020, that's like Wishbone era thinking 

that's not a great look for any QB trying to go high in the first round 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

but he has these moments in big games that are just bad you say so yourself and then go on to defend the guy for 500 more words

I've never seen a team just abandon the forward pass the way Ohio St did against NW 

the coaches decided that passing was too risky so they just ran  and ran and ran this transfer RB into 300 plus yards

it was literally a horror show every time Fields tried to pass, so they stopped passing

The OSU RB ran the ball for over 300 yards . NW was obviously selling out to protect against the pass, their run D the rest of the season was very good. OSU did what any smart team would do , stick with what works until the other team adjusts, Plus Fields played most of that game with a bad hand/wrist.  If Clemson did this and Lawrence simply handed off to Etienne , everyone would be lauding Dabo as a genius.  

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And again , I'll say I'm glad the Jets GM and scouts will not judge him the same way. No one game in a guys college career should be used as a real gauge as to how a player will succeed in the pros. I mentioned the Lawrence game against LSU just to point out how absued it is to judge a player by one good or bad game.

A prime example of that is our own Sammy and his Rose bowl game. 

Agreed , but it's not 1 game, it's 2 out of 3.  OSU has only played 6 games this year.  Two of them were clunkers for Fields.  I'm concerned about the kid.  He needs a monster game against Clemson or he is going to fall IMO

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Agreed , but it's not 1 game, it's 2 out of 3.  OSU has only played 6 games this year.  Two of them were clunkers for Fields.  I'm concerned about the kid.  He needs a monster game against Clemson or he is going to fall IMO

The Indiana game was a clunker ?  18-30 300 yards , 2 passing Td's and two rushing Td's and his team won.

Plus it was against a Top NCAA defense with 3 of his starting OL out. 

If a Jet QB had a game like that we'd be throwing him a parade. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The only game I can remember this happening was about 7 years or so at the end of Rex's time here when Geno Smith was the QB and we played the Dolphins at home on Monday Night. We ran the ball like 65 times and only threw about 15 passes. Geno managed to screw that up, though, throwing two picks, including one really late that cost us a chance to win.

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

The Indiana game was a clunker ?  18-30 300 yards , 2 passing Td's and two rushing Td's and his team won.

Plus it was against a Top NCAA defense with 3 of his starting OL out. 

If a Jet QB had a game like that we'd be throwing him a parade. 

Think there is one important stat you left out.  The 3 interceptions, and at least 1 that was dropped.  He also looked out of sync most of the game.  Yes, that's a clunker 

Like I said, he'll have a chance to redeem himself Friday.  We'll see.  Can't wait for both games Friday

Just now, flgreen said:

Think there is one important stat you left out.  The 3 interceptions, and at least 1 that was dropped.  He also looked out of sync most of the game.  Yes, that's a clunker 

Like I said, he'll have a chance to redeem himself Friday.  We'll see.  Can't wait for both games Friday

3 int's but he still led his team to a win against a top notch defense. If Lawrence or Wilson did that guys here would be calling them gunslingers with short memories. 

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

3 int's but he still led his team to a win against a top notch defense. If Lawrence or Wilson did that guys here would be calling them gunslingers with short memories. 

Not me, I'd be questioning their ball security, and their bad reaction to pressure.  Just like I did with Sam back in the day.

Just now, flgreen said:

Not me, I'd be questioning their ball security, and their bad reaction to pressure.  Just like I did with Sam back in the day.

Anyways , we'll see what JD and team decide to do at #2 . Regardless of who they take I feel this team is finally moving forward in the right direction. A lot will hinge on who becomes the new HC so that in essence is step1  and hopefully they build from there., 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Watch the TL VT game. Should have had at least 3 easy INTs. The difference can’t just be the DBs ability to hold on to the ball right? Not to mention another head scratcher INT to open the ND game. Why not the same concerns?

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Kind of like Trevor vs LSU when he completed 48% of his passes lol.....and vs GT that same year.....

22 players missing, including Wideouts. He had 2 so-so games, Trevor had 2, and most likely more during his first 20 starts.

My thing is, I am not a Wilson guy. I am on record saying he may be a Derek Carr, or on the lower end, no better than Sam.

HOWEVER.....what I won't do is cherry pick 1 bad game from his entire career..........He could have 5...

"Wilson was so so against Coastal Carolina....."

So, the kid is not allowed to have a bad game? Against a solid team?

"Well, he was also awful against the Aztecs, and Utah the previous season"

Okay....so we cherry picking games now? Mahomes is not always great.....

But here is the thing that gets people in trouble, and makes them lose credibility.......Imaginary stats and skill-sets....

"Wilson threw 5 ints one game, and his footwork is so bad, looks like the kid is crip walking."

Now, what people will do.....Is observe the tape, watch the kid and say "Gotham does not know football....what is he seeing...This is not factual"

Not gonna lose any sleep if you don't like the kid, but just act like the ball was never taken out of Trevor's hands in his 1st 20 starts....It was...& I gave examples. It was taken out of his hands vs LSU....but they had to go back to it due to the rushing game not working.....so basically Trevor threw them out of that game. Not that it was all his fault.

It was also taken out of his hands vs GT that same year.......Georgia Tech!?

We should be adding the Zach Wilson tape to this and I think you'll see a clear choice.

Wilson has some concerns with injuries, level of play, size...

but if you watch the tape - he has the best skill-set to be a success in the NFL.  

Wilson is the pick, I fear we'll very much regret it if we pass on him.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, GothamLurker said:

Kind of like Trevor vs LSU when he completed 48% of his passes lol.....and vs GT that same year.....

22 players missing, including Wideouts. He had 2 so-so games, Trevor had 2, and most likely more during his first 20 starts.

My thing is, I am not a Wilson guy. I am on record saying he may be a Derek Carr, or on the lower end, no better than Sam.

HOWEVER.....what I won't do is cherry pick 1 bad game from his entire career..........He could have 5...

"Wilson was so so against Coastal Carolina....."

So, the kid is not allowed to have a bad game? Against a solid team?

"Well, he was also awful against the Aztecs, and Utah the previous season"

Proving Trevor sucks doesn't Prove Fields or Wilson is good. I'm team Sewell by the way. 

22 players missing is an excuse, for fields he's looked terrible all year pretty much

I don't want to know why, it's important that he plays his butt off against Clemson or he might not even be a rd1 dude that's the direction his stock is pointed  

Wilson yes it's fair to question his performance against Coastal when he plays no one from the power 5 elite. The mighty San Diego State Aztecs is his signature film? Utah is a derby game as the british would call it those teams hate each other. i'm more concerned about his physical attributes than his film. he throws a pretty ball but his guys are often wide open and he is less sturdy than both Carr and Sam 

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Proving Trevor sucks doesn't Prove Fields or Wilson is good. I'm team Sewell by the way. 

22 players missing is an excuse, for fields he's looked terrible all year pretty much

I don't want to know why, it's important that he plays his butt off against Clemson or he might not even be a rd1 dude that's the direction his stock is pointed  

Wilson yes it's fair to question his performance against Coastal when he plays no one from the power 5 elite. The mighty San Diego State Aztecs is his signature film? Utah is a derby game as the british would call it those teams hate each other. i'm more concerned about his physical attributes than his film. he throws a pretty ball but his guys are often wide open and he is less sturdy than both Carr and Sam 

Look I also have worries about his ability to be a quick decision maker, which is frankly terrifying since that seems to be the common thread among our QB failures. But he hasn’t looked terrible all year... he’s had two bad games. Before that he was giving TL a run for his money and the #1 pick. At least that was the media narrative. Threw his first 3 games (he’s only played 6) he was completing 90% of his passes for 300 yard per game with 11 TDs and zero picks. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Look I also have worries about his ability to be a quick decision maker, which is frankly terrifying since that seems to be the common thread among our QB failures. But he hasn’t looked terrible all year... he’s had two bad games. Before that he was giving TL a run for his money and the #1 pick. At least that was the media narrative. Threw his first 3 games (he’s only played 6) he was completing 90% of his passes for 300 yard per game with 11 TDs and zero picks. 

ill grant you this Fields wins against Nebraska, Penn St and Rutgers are more impressive than Wilson beating Coastal, UCF and whoever 

my impression those were some leaky defenses and he had all day 

the Ohio State offensive line chops wood by the way. at least 3 of those guys are instant starters in the NFL right now 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I think the combine will be huge for Wilson.BYU had a very good schedule this year, but a few games against top teams had to be called off. When he is with these other guys, all throwing under the same conditions, he can be evaluated fairly. Personally, I think he will put them all to shame, but that's just me.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

ill grant you this Fields wins against Nebraska, Penn St and Rutgers are more impressive than Wilson beating Coastal, UCF and whoever 

my impression those were some leaky defenses and he had all day 

the Ohio State offensive line chops wood by the way. at least 3 of those guys are instant starters in the NFL right now 

And 3 OL starters were out against Indiana. The narrative that he can't read a defense or doesn't make quick decisions is a false one probably biased by the fact that past OSU QB's had those problems.

IMO T-Law is the clearcut #1 QB. While he’s not “generational”, he is an exceptional prospect. I’m happy for him that he will be going to Jacksonville because I think the kid is a bit of a homebody and his chances of success in the NFL increase as the distance between his pro team and hometowm decreases. 

Personally, i like to see a QB who ventures far from home to take on the challenges of becoming a great college QB. I think it speaks volumes to the kid’s ability to adjust to the monumental changes associated with moving to a new town, likely a bigger metro area than they’ve ever been in, and taking on the iconic role of NFL QB. I know this is only one factor in the mental makeup of a prospect, but I don’t think it should be overlooked.

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think the combine will be huge for Wilson.BYU had a very good schedule this year, but a few games against top teams had to be called off. When he is with these other guys, all throwing under the same conditions, he can be evaluated fairly. Personally, I think he will put them all to shame, but that's just me.

Climate controlled in doors in shorts and T shirts with no pass rush. Evaluating a QB based on the combine or Pro-day workouts is probably the most over rated analysis ever. Now if you mentioned the interviews and whiteboard sessions I agree there is some value there.

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Climate controlled in doors in shorts and T shirts with no pass rush. Evaluating a QB based on the combine or Pro-day workouts is probably the most over rated analysis ever. Now if you mentioned the interviews and whiteboard sessions I agree there is some value there.

I'm talking side by side, making all the same throws, arm speed and strength, ball placement, footwork, mechanics. When the scouts see him doing this with all the other guys, I believe it will really elevate him. Either you have it or you don't. You can see the other stuff, how he reacts to the blitz, etc, on the tape.

16 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

We should be adding the Zach Wilson tape to this and I think you'll see a clear choice.

Wilson has some concerns with injuries, level of play, size...

but if you watch the tape - he has the best skill-set to be a success in the NFL.  

Wilson is the pick, I fear we'll very much regret it if we pass on him.

Agree with this 100%.  Lawrence is gone.  It doesn't matter.

The Fish ,who have a good, well coached team, pick 4th, with a good chance to pick 3rd.  IMO if given the chance they will abandon Tua,who was benched for Fitz the other night.  and take a QB at 3.

Having Allen, and Wilson in the division, while we are trouting out Darnold, will be a nightmare for 10-12 years.

Douglas better get this right. 

• Upvote 1