Just take Wilson and be done with it

Rhg1084

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

a players body, his physical stature, his durability, these are also tools so to speak 

he has all sorts of great film against questionable competition 

the problem is what happens when Myles Garrett and Oliver Vernon get to him like they did Sam yesterday? 

does he snap in two? it's a fair question to ask

the dude is built like a normal human being 

Chad was a normal human too the league chewed him up 

1023555529_ChadInjured.JPG.c606c2a2cafbe29de01af720e67931d4.JPG

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The thing about this scenario is it's not our jobs on the line. It's easy for us as fans to just say take the next QB and move on.  If Wilson or Fields bust, then it's just rinse and repeat for us as fans.

For Douglas though, it is his job on the line.  If he is going QB this year, he better be 100% certain that the guy he's taking is THE guy.  If he's not, Douglas starting his expiration clock 1 year earlier.  

It's early, but my feeling at this stage is that Joe Douglas is not going to put his job on the line for any of the available quarterbacks at #2.  It was always Lawrence or ride with Darnold/Morgan/vet for one more year.

Right now, it's Sewell or trade down.  I'm hoping Chase enters the conversation in the coming months.

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

a players body, his physical stature, his durability, these are also tools so to speak 

the problem is what happens when Myles Garrett and Oliver Vernon get to him like they did Sam yesterday? 

this is such a strange argument.. most QB's are built like normal humans.. what are you even talking about? Sam Darnold is built like a normal human. He's spent a ton of time hurt. It's NFL.. players get hurt.

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Why is this a bunch of crap? If he comes from a background like “uncle owns JetBlue” could you imagine.... Nevermind 

I say where there’s smoke...

There do not appear to be any character concerns. Wilson is considered a good leader who watches a lot of film and works to get better. He spent his spring quarantine period frequently driving 10 hours from Utah to Huntington Beach, Calif. where he trained with former BYU quarterback John Beck at 3DQB (a place many NFL quarterbacks, including Mitch Trubisky have trained).

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/why-byu-qb-zach-wilson-could-be-good-fit-bears-2021-nfl-draft

The reaction to the anonymous quote in the Walter Football article was quick and hot.

My compadre Jay Drew worked on a story this past week interviewing more than a dozen people who worked with Wilson. Not one mentioned anything close to the allegations.

One of Wilson’s offensive linemen, Chandon Herring, tweeted: “I played with Zach for several years & have nothing but respect for the dude. He is entitled to nothing and works longer and harder than most to reach his goals. Don’t listen to people who haven’t trained, worked, or played with him to tell you about his character.”

Teammate Kyle Griffitts called it “Click bait, not worth it.”

Wide receiver coach Fesi Sitake added the tweet: “Someone clearly had a plan to damage Zach’s reputation. But as you look around, everyone & their dog is coming to his defense, which only increases his stock & displays his true character. So whoever that random troll is that started this, your plan has backfired. Good job.”

Weber State-bound Corner Canyon receiver Noah Kjar also came to Wilson’s defense, tweeting, “@zachkapono was my QB my freshman year, and he was the biggest example to me. He led our team all the way to the semis with a team that wasn’t nearly as good around him. He made all of us play better. He’s a great leader. These guys don’t know what they’re talking about.”

Current teammate and blocker Connor Pay joined in on Twitter, “Couldn’t be further from the truth. Zach is a great ballplayer, but he’s an even better person.”

BYU’s offensive line coach Eric Mateos, who is in the running for the best staff follow on Twitter, took the sarcastic route and used a clown emoji at the end, posting: “Agree. Zach is very inconsiderate. He would text me after 10 @ night asking me why he didn’t get an under-center snap exchange clean. Can’t believe what a dirtbag he is. It was particularly annoying how interested in Blitz Pick-up he is as well. He should definitely come back.”

Cornerback coach Jernaro Gilford, whose guys go up against Wilson daily, tweeted: “I will second that Zach is one of the most selfish/stingy guys I’ve ever met. I mean I’ve only been asking for 3 years on a daily basis that he throws my guys a INT in practice and he might’ve given in 3xs in 3 years. Just selfish! I hate it in practice and love it in games.”

Reactions here don’t include a train of fan tweets highlighting photos and testimonials of Wilson signing autographs with kids, making appearances in hospitals, going out of his way to meet, greet and spend time with families, spending hours after practices and school signing shirts, posters and autographs requested through the school’s sports information department.

Anonymous sources these days have ruined the news business. From the political to the societal, from academia to frontiers of journalism, it has created an army of weak, spineless, chicken keyboard warrior recreants who hide and fire potty arrows.

This appears to be from that stinky swamp.

The Wilson family, from parents Mike and Lisa to extended relatives, have been amazing, accomplished, friendly, caring people. I’ve witnessed it firsthand.

Wilson is borderline GOAT these days in Provo, a college town and fan base starved for that kind of QB figure.

And they’ve known quite a few.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/12/27/22200637/zach-wilson-walters-football-byu-college-nfl-draft-cougars-teamates-criticism

4 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

this is such a strange argument.. most QB's are built like normal humans.. what are you even talking about? Sam Darnold is built like a normal human. He's spent a ton of time hurt. It's NFL.. players get hurt.

I don't disagree

it's called size/speed ratio and height is a factor as well 

Sam is 6'3" 230ish he's closer to Division 1 linebacker than normal human 

as you point out he's gotten hurt alot

Wilson is the same height and 25 pounds lighter, playing an easier schedule and also had 2 torn labrums 

Sam is more durable than Wilson and neither is exactly durable. 

Justin Fields is closer to a physical freak at 6'4" 235 but everytime he runs into a legit defense he freezes up for whatever reason. he's not super elite but he's got some attritbutes 

I'd call a player like Big Ben or Josh Allen durable. A physical freak these guys are not normal humans 

walking up to big ben is like shaking hands with a brown bear 

Trevor Lawrence at 6'6" 220 is not a normal human either but coaches will try to add 10 pounds or more when he gets to the league

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Why are we so hung up with that for Wilson he is same size category as Murray, Wilson, Brees, Mayfield all of whom have been successful and relatively injury free where some big QBs like Wentz just can't stay healthy. I thought we were past requiring traditional size in a QB and from a durability standpoint from being tackled he seems to be excellent. 6"3 210 is not small. I am sure it will be scrutinized at the combine.

3 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Simple. Trask has a back-up skill set. Ignore the numbers, ignore the schools. Slow delivery, avg arm strength, not particularly mobile..

the mobility is the thing that comes to me...and also Gino Torretta comes to mind. Not predicting. Just listing things that come to my mind that may or may not be really relevant.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I could be talked into Trask. 

I'm not going to pretend to know how good any these guys are or will in the NFL. I thought Darnold was going to be a really good pro. I was wrong. I thought Allen was likely going to bust. I was wrong. I thought Geno had a chance to be good. Wrong. 

I'm just saying that I don't think there is any one surefire way to evaluate these guys. You are correct. Big stat guys fail. Workout warriors fail. Actually, most guys fail, as there are only like 10-15 guys in the world at any one time who can play the QB position really well in the pros. 

I just don't want us to give up on drafting QBs. I just can't watch another year of Darnold. We need to take another QB (assuming we don't think Morgan has enough upside). It doesn't have to be with the #2 overall pick (Although, I'd probably take a QB there since that would give me my pick of the litter after Lawrence). 

this. it's totally iperfect and slightly a crap shoot. So, yea, he HAS to get a QB SOMEWHERE. I listed WIlson as a maybe . I have also flaoted Trey...  or Stafford.

55 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I can understand this, and people need to stop using Brees as a example because clearly his situation is a outlier 

outlier is a staitistical term relating to data points. you seem to have access to alotta data points. please share all the multiple times a labrum tear came back to tear again. again. you're wary.  i get it. but we're discussing whether labrum tears in football players are an injury that is often re-injured. you seem to say that you have data. or is it just a feeling of being wary.

pssst. people are still wishing injury on LJ b/c they didnt draft him and he is having success in the NFL at the QB position and runs often.

I don't have a dog in this race (other than wanting to see better QB play for the Jets than we've had). But it seems to me if he's 6'3/210, and is 4 months removed from his 21st birthday, he's got some room to fill in. Certainly he can put on 10 pounds. FFS Russell Wilson put on more than 10 pounds and started out 5'11/204 so in theory he'd have less of a frame to fill in before he started to be built un-qb-like. 

He may stink; he may be ok but a huge reach at #2. I wouldn't know; I've never seen him play. But just in general, a QB who's 6'3"/210 at such a young age suggests he can fill in and play his career at 6'3"/220-225 without getting fat/slow. FFS Brady was 6'5"/211 at the combine, already looking soft. Some of these guys still have more growing to do, plus do we even know where/when that 210-lb weigh-in was? He looks like he could put 5 lbs on those skinny arms alone (maybe 5 lbs on each one). 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

u still cannot cite an example? am just saying you are making a presumptive statement. he WILL get reinjured.

i am NOT stating that BRees is the be all and end all. I AM saying thats ONE specific example that I can point to. 

but YOU base your presumption w/o a single example? again. am not saying concern is invalid.

we're simply discussing the injury consideration.

I mean we had one Chad Pennington. I just assumed every Jet fan remembered that tale. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2176813

^^^

This article is from 2005 so for a more recent example, Cam Newton.

Shannon Sharpe I don’t care for at all but when he says “offen injured in college, offen injured in the pros” - that statement  proves to be 99% true. And me personally, I wouldn’t draft a small school kid, who need surgery on both shoulders, and his hand. I would be scared as sh*t every time he took a hit ?

I see it as the NBA equivalent of drafting a highly ranked prospect with knee problems aka Portland Trailblazers drafting Greg Oden in the 2007. He has talent but could never stay healthy and that’s what I fear from drafting Zach. 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

If Trask is so obviously bad, why I am reading that Pittsburgh might take a reach on him to eventually replace Big Ben?  Or that the 49'ers really like him and make take him earlier then the 3rd to be their guy?

dont listen to them.

Pitts and SF are 2 of the best run franchises in the NFL. there is a reason why. there smart enough not to let people know what there thinking. its probably a smoke screen

you know how that works. a team picking before Pitt might like Trask for the next rd but now are afraid that Pitts will pick him now so they pick him, instead of the CB or LB they were going to pick. now guess whos still on the board for Pitts, the guy they really wanted.

Be cautious when a team like Pitts advertises what they want to do. especially long shots like Trask

38 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

But the question for us as fans is a bit easier to answer than it is for Douglas.  He's not going to get fired for having a bad year next year.  He easily could get fired for having 3 bad years after this.  What is the best way to prevent that.  Gambling on a QB you may not believe is the guy, or making the talent on the team as best as you can first, but gambling on the chance you can still draft a decent QB prospect next year? 

since there is no sure thing, its ALWAYS somewhat of a gamble. so the question becomes...does JD like the odds?

and that includes- roll with Sam. ( how ANYONE could LIKE those odds is beyond me. Worst NFL starter over 3 yrs)

so..  yeah...  JD aint gonna pull the trigger if he doesn;t like the odds. i wouldnt even WANT him to just b/c I LIKED a certain player, or another certain player...  Fields, Trask, Mac, Trey et al...

so you never take a guy you DONT BELIEVE is the guy...

• Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Why are we so hung up with that for Wilson he is same size category as Murray, Wilson, Brees, Mayfield all of whom have been successful and relatively injury free where some big QBs like Wentz just can't stay healthy. I thought we were past requiring traditional size in a QB and from a durability standpoint from being tackled he seems to be excellent. 6"3 210 is not small. I am sure it will be scrutinized at the combine.

He's the closest in stature to Brees, who has been far from injury free

Players can be traditionally short but guys like Murray, Wilson and Mayfield are built like brick sh*thouses 

Wilson doesn't have to be "traditionally huge" but he should be durable, which he has not been 

There was a play on Sunday, Myles Garrett gets to Sam Darnold 2Q and it looked an awful lot like a FF but ruled incomplete 

Garrett comes down on Darnold's elbow and it's fair wonder what happens if Wilson takes that hit

he's just fragile or slight in comparison 

side note Becton got worked in pass protection yesterday he DIDN'T make the Probowl, he can move to RT based on how much pressure he gives up to elite pass rushers and I think that's a fair move for his career at 11 overall, missing 2 or 3 games a year etc 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

My guess is that the second best player in this draft is Sewell.  The Jets should take him and see who wants to trade for him.  

Accumulate a ton of picks until the QB they like is the right value.  That will likely be around 5-8.  

in 1997 Bill Parcells had the same bright idea

he passed over Orlando Pace and Walter Jones two HOF tackle for James Farrior, Dedric Ward and like 11 terrible players 

Jason Ferguson was the best of the crop and he was a 7th rounder 

Farrior leaves after 4 seasons and gets a ring in Pittsburgh

for all the other notable moments (Blair Thomas, JOhnny Lam, Drob, Vernon, Kyle Brady over Sapp etc) 

that Orlando Pace draft was one of the worst draft moments in Jets history that no one talks about 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Are you a doctor? If not, this is just a bunch of hot air. The only people who can properly evaluate whether he's at risk for injuries are the doctors who the Jets hire to evaluate his medical history. I'll trust JD to go by what they say.

Btw, I'm guessing you would have basically said the same thing about Drew Brees after he destroyed his shoulder 15 years ago?

7 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I mean we had one Chad Pennington. I just assumed every Jet fan remembered that tale. 

^^^

Shannon Sharpe I don’t care for at all but when he says “offen injured in college, offen injured in the pros” - that statement  proves to be 99% true. And me personally, I wouldn’t draft a small school kid, who need surgery on both shoulders, and his hand. I would be scared as sh*t every time he took a hit ?

I see it as the NBA equivalent of drafting a highly ranked prospect with knee problems aka Portland Trailblazers drafting Greg Oden in the 2007. He has talent but could never stay healthy and that’s what I fear from drafting Zach. 

Chad Pennington was uninjured in college. Cam missed a year with an ankle in college.

So of you are doing "oft injured" that is slightly different. It sounded like you were saying his shoulder(s) wouldnt hold up.

Like I said. COncern isnt invalid. You;d stay away. Me? We need a QB, if you dont believe in him for ANY reason you pass.

JD will decide and I think Sewell is the pick. Very safe.

Just now, BroadwayRay said:

Are you a doctor? If not, this is just a bunch of hot air. The only people who can properly evaluate whether he's at risk for injuries are the doctors who the Jets hire to evaluate his medical history. I'll trust JD to go by what they say.

Btw, I'm guessing you would have basically said the same thing about Drew Brees after he destroyed his shoulder 15 years ago?

the exception proves the rule 

Yes I would have advised a team against taking Drew Brees out of Purdue at 2 overall when he went in the 2nd round 

the Rivers/Brees scenario I don't know. I'd take him on the Jets as a free agent. 

i'm not against Wilson under all circumstances I'm against him at 2 overall instead of Sewell out of pure need

the draft capital of 2 overall is too great to just roll dice 

if he falls to lets say the 28 Jamal Adams pick it would be tempting

people compare him to Aaron Rodgers

that dude also was talked about top 5 ended up in the 20's on draft day 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

it's even simpler for me 

if you met these 2 people in person

like walk up to them, shake their hand

there'd be no doubt with one was more adept to life in the NFL 

a picture is worth 1000 words - honest question, you have 1 game for all the marbles who do you trust more on that day 

this dude? 

zach_man.png.819eba471b6919c3c4f8165f09c1960a.png

or this dude

sewell2.gif

Shawn Oakman and Vernon Gholston are the greatests defensive ends in the history of looking good.

Do I need to bring up Tom Brady combine photo?

Wtf kinda comparasion is that 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

^^^

Like Curtis Martin, for example.

11 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Chad Pennington was uninjured in college. Cam missed a year with an ankle in college.

So of you are doing "oft injured" that is slightly different. It sounded like you were saying his shoulder(s) wouldnt hold up.

Like I said. COncern isnt invalid. You;d stay away. Me? We need a QB, if you dont believe in him for ANY reason you pass.

JD will decide and I think Sewell is the pick. Very safe.

https://nsjonline.com/article/2019/01/how-concerning-is-cam-newtons-shoulder-injury/

newton did hurt his shoulder ^^

I highly doubt we go o-line for a number of reasons 

-we need interior o-line help

-Becton is a LT Sewell is a LT who do we ask to basically take a pay cut? I can see Sewell pulling a Eli before he agrees to this but I could be wrong

-this is a deep o-line class maybe 3 rounds of talent 

-I have seen literally every scout say both Fields and Wilson would be #1 QBs in drafts that didn’t include Trevor

-You dont always pick top 2 JD may never get a chance at a QB of these 2 caliber again 

I may be wrong who knows ?‍♂️

1 minute ago, oatmeal said:

https://nsjonline.com/article/2019/01/how-concerning-is-cam-newtons-shoulder-injury/

newton did hurt his shoulder ^^

I highly doubt we go o-line for a number of reasons 

-we need interior o-line help

-Becton is a LT Sewell is a LT who do we ask to basically take a pay cut? I can see Sewell pulling a Eli before he agrees to this but I could be wrong

-this is a deep o-line class maybe 3 rounds of talent 

-I have seen literally every scout say both Fields and Wilson would be #1 QBs in drafts that didn’t include Trevor

-You dont always pick top 2 JD may never get a chance at a QB of these 2 caliber again 

I may be wrong who knows ?‍♂️

Newton hurt is shoulder as a pro...  

anyway...  i think you were going with injured in college is a good indicator of injured in pro, when i thought you were saying, you injure your labrum, you reinjure your labrum.

I like Wilson slightly more than Fields, but thats just me and both are legit prospects.

I dont WANT OIine...   but I got a feeling, thats all. 

One thing i noticed yesterday was Jeudy had 5 drops. 5 drops!!!

And I was one calling for WR first...   and JD went OL. 

Now that I am going QB first, i get a feeling JD will go OL again.

1 hour ago, Morrissey said:

He did not get beat up by Coastal Carolina.. his team lost and he still almost won it for them in the end. Zach Wilson would do great against Clemson.. if he was Alabama's QB, obviously BYU would not stand up against the likes of Clemson or Alabama.

You gotta learn to evaluate the player not the team he plays.

and he's a junior and won't be in the senior bowl obviously.

And Fields gets hammered for games against Indiana and NW both games which his team won and one where he accounted for 4 Td's ( 2 passing , 2 rushing) 

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

Newton hurt is shoulder as a pro...  

anyway...  i think you were going with injured in college is a good indicator of injured in pro, when i thought you were saying, you injure your labrum, you reinjure your labrum.

I like Wilson slightly more than Fields, but thats just me and both are legit prospects.

I dont WANT OIine...   but I got a feeling, thats all. 

One thing i noticed yesterday was Jeudy had 5 drops. 5 drops!!!

And I was one calling for WR first...   and JD went OL. 

Now that I am going QB first, i get a feeling JD will go OL again.

It’s still very early Darnold blows and I see many people echoing that sentiment, so as the playoffs and draft process continues Wilson and Fields talk will only amplify. I think it’s more job security and patience with a new QB new coach approach. 

If JD thinks he can drag a Vet QB and Sam Darnolds corpse into next season and hope for anything but 5-11, he’s dumb as a box of rocks and deserves everything that would come to him.

I just hope he isn’t completely checked out to lunch like the owners.

and I only think JD went O-Line early because we needed a tackle and it was thin outside of a handful, the receiver class was deep so it was smart to wait until the 2nd round. This years the O-Line class is deep so he can wait until later picks and still get great players 

This is precisely why we need Joe Douglas to be the talent evaluator he's supposed to be.  First, he has to find the right HC.  then he and the new HC have to decide on QB: Fields, Wilson, someone else or stick with Sam.  These are the most important decisions for the next decade. The GM, Coach, and QB all have to be on the same page.  The system has to fit the QB and the QB has to fit the system.  Douglas and the Coach need to be in agreement about the type of player they feel will bring the highest degree of success.  I know I'm stating the obvious but this has eluded Woody for two decades.

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

#2 pick - Zach Wilson

#27 pick - Najee Harris/Travis Etienne

FA’s - Allen Robinson/JuJu

Let me tell you something, if there is one thing I've learned over the past 5 years: top free agents don't want to come to the Jets.  And if they do, they want out...quickly!

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

side note Becton got worked in pass protection yesterday he DIDN'T make the Probowl, he can move to RT based on how much pressure he gives up to elite pass rushers and I think that's a fair move for his career at 11 overall, missing 2 or 3 games a year etc 

I've been saying this all along. Bectons got a LITTLE mean in him, Sewell has a whole lot o mean in him. Typical Samoan football player, absolute calm cool dude in street clothes, put him in a uniform & a helmet and he's a guy you don't want to mess with! We don't have to use a high pick on a RB if we draft Sewell & sign Thuney & Lindsey! You could put your mother back there & run through holes. 

Becton is going to be a very good tackle, Sewell is at another level (skill wise) and attitude. I don't know how many times this needs to be said but we have Seattles pick & #34. Think about the Dlines in the AFC east & tell me who scares you? Ok, now imagine any QB behind a killer Oline! This grasping for straws at QB is why we ended up with Sanchez & Sam. Just take Sewell & let the damn draft play out! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Shawn Oakman and Vernon Gholston are the greatests defensive ends in the history of looking good.

Do I need to bring up Tom Brady combine photo?

Wtf kinda comparasion is that 

I would wager that Sewell is far tougher than Oakman and Gholston and it's not based on physical attributes it's based on behavior on the field. 

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Becton is an RT playing LT out of necessity 

look at the CLE game 

he gives up a ton of pressure, I think 7 hurries yesterday 1 sack from Myles and a FF from Myles that was ruled Incomplete

Becton is a load in the run game, he can be beaten by elite pass rushers, he went 11 overall 

he DIDN'T make the Pro Bowl and while QW was a true snub, Becton there is a case to be made there are better LT in the AFC 

there's a word for that he's the RT

Sewell is a better prospect in pass protection so he plays LT 

both guys get big money five years from now, sewell just gets a little more 

it's not that hard 

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I've been saying this all along. Bectons got a LITTLE mean in him, Sewell has a whole lot o mean in him. Typical Samoan football player, absolute calm cool dude in street clothes, put him in a uniform & a helmet and he's a guy you don't want to mess with! We don't have to use a high pick on a RB if we draft Sewell & sign Thuney & Lindsey! You could put your mother back there & run through holes. 

Becton is going to be a very good tackle, Sewell is at another level (skill wise) and attitude. I don't know how many times this needs to be said but we have Seattles pick & #34. Think about the Dlines in the AFC east & tell me who scares you? Ok, now imagine any QB behind a killer Oline! This grasping for straws at QB is why we ended up with Sanchez & Sam. Just take Sewell & let the damn draft play out! 

the Jets don't have any sort of Identity, drafting Sewell and moving Becton to RT would give the team an instant identity and you are right they can find adequate interior OL through FA 

• Upvote 1

The question we should ask ourselves is: Is Wilson that much better than the guys who will be lurking in rounds 3/4?

Because if the answer is no, and there's a guy with a live arm in those rounds, then taking Sewell, drafting QB in round 3/4, and then having an open competition with Sam could be the better route.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Jets don't have any sort of Identity, drafting Sewell and moving Becton to RT would give the team an instant identity and you are right they can find adequate interior OL through FA 

If it ain't broke don't fix it.  Sewell doesn't have the classic long arms that star NFL left tackles do.  I think Sewell will be a surefire hall of famer as a guard, and he might even be a great RT even if he's smaller than Becton.  Just my opinion.  Becton is a Walter Jones type who is excelling at LT, why change now?  Sewell is the versatile guy, you can play him anywhere else other than center and he'd probably play at a pro bowl level, but I think with his body type his most dominant position would be left guard.