• TEXANS - Eric Bienemy
  • LIONS - Matt Eberflus
  • JAGUARS - Brian Daboll
  • JETS - Don Martindale
  • BENGALS - Joe Brady
  • CHARGERS - Arthur Smith
  • EAGLES - Doug Pederson retained
  • BEARS  - Pat Fitzgerald

I made Plan B’s from my previous “guess” post.

3 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Will Try to Keep it Updated....looks like there will be 5 openings on Black Monday barring any surprises

TEAMS WITH CURRENT HEAD COACHING OPENINGS

• ATLANTA FALCONS
    Rumored Candidates: Eric Bieniemy, Raheem Morris (Interim), Brian Daboll, Nathaniel Hackett, Arthur Smith, Marvin Lewis
  • HOUSTON TEXANS
    Rumored Candidates: Eric Bieniemy, Marvin Lewis, Jim Caldwell, Robert Salah, Brian Schottenhiemer 
  • DETROIT LIONS
    Rumored Candidates: Robert Salah, Urban Meyer, Matt Campbell

TEAMS WITH LIKELY HEAD COACHING OPENINGS

• JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
    Rumored Candidates: TBD
  • NEW YORK JETS
    Rumored Candidates: TBD

TEAMS THAT COULD POSSIBLY HAVE A HEAD COACH OPENING

• CINCINATTI BENGALS (Will probably give Zac Taylor one more year)
  • SAN DIEGO LOS ANGELES CHARGERS  (Anthony Lynn may have done enough to keep his job)
  • PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (Doug Pederson has said he expects to return, for whatever that means)
  • CHICAGO BEARS   (Late season play seems to have saved Matt Nagy for now)

This is incredible, great job.

I just pinned this, it is a great resource as things get crazy around the league. Thanks for updating it.

I also just linked to it in a front page blog post.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, RJIII said:

I'm very familiar with Matt Campbell from Iowa State. If we have a chance to land him make no mistake, GREAT hire. His dream job is Ohio State but that won't be open for a while. He will bring a high octane offense and implement the "cloud" defense which has proven to be the code to break the "air raid" or "pass happy" offenses. 

He runs a lot of 11 personell (TE) and likes to use multiple TE. Think about have Travis Kelce and Zach Ertz on the same team. 

My greatest hope for this offseason is Matt Campbell. I think we’ll have a 50/50 shot on him.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

You make some good points. Pederson made the playoffs for two years after Reich left, and had them in contention to win the division until yesterday.Also, benching Wentz and going with Hurts showed a ton of leadership, I believe. Supposedly, Wentz is not a popular guy with his teammates, and Pederson did what he had to do. Probably wished he did it sooner. May cost him his job.

Being in contention in maybe the worst division ever is not a plus. In addition, the NFC East has been the worst division in football for some while. 

The good news for us is that some of these teams looked like they'd be replacing their coaches are appearing less likely (CHI, LAC, CIN) which limits the competition. 

What's really frustrating is not knowing where things stand with Matt Campbell and other college coaches. Dan Mullen is going to be one to watch given the sanctions, but he didn't sound like he was ready to make the jump. It comes down to fit with Harbaugh. Otherwise feels like it will be Martindale or Lewis. I've seen Joe Brady's name floating around but I haven't heard it

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, football guy said:

The good news for us is that some of these teams looked like they'd be replacing their coaches are appearing less likely (CHI, LAC, CIN) which limits the competition. 

What's really frustrating is not knowing where things stand with Matt Campbell and other college coaches. Dan Mullen is going to be one to watch given the sanctions, but he didn't sound like he was ready to make the jump. It comes down to fit with Harbaugh. Otherwise feels like it will be Martindale or Lewis. I've seen Joe Brady's name floating around but I haven't heard it

if the rumors of Elliot and Lewis joinging Martindale are true its hard not to like him for the opening. Feel like it gives JD a lot to like in a HC candidate and he fits the bill from a personality standpoint from rumors that are out there. 

30 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

if the rumors of Elliot and Lewis joinging Martindale are true its hard not to like him for the opening. Feel like it gives JD a lot to like in a HC candidate and he fits the bill from a personality standpoint from rumors that are out there. 

Sounds like it's part of Martindale's pitch, but there's no guarantee there. He pitched Joe Brady to the Giants last year, but Joe decided to go to Carolina with Matt Rhule. 

If he could lure both of them it would be a great move. Not only are they good coaches, if another team were to hire them as HCs in the future the Jets would be compensated in the form of 3rd round comp picks. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, football guy said:

Add PJ Fleck to the growing list of college coaches expected to be on our radar 

Could REALLY get behind this...if he cuts down on the Tony Robbins talk a bit with grown ass men.

I’m not saying change who he is, because his motivational nature is a skill. But, just tone it down a tad.

All things considered, he’s as good a candidate as Matt Campbell.

• Upvote 1

uStadium is pretty adamant that Mike Kafka will be a target and that the Jets will request an interview. Adam Schefter has alluded that Kafka will be arguably as popular as Eric Bieniemy as well.

Here's the connections between Kafka and the Jets/Douglas: 

• Phil Savage, current Jets Senior Advisor, was a member of the Eagles' Front Office when the team drafted Kafka in 2010.
  • Daniel Jeremiah, former scout/colleague and close friend of Joe Douglas, was the head scout of the West region and presumably did tons of work on Kafka as a prospect. 
  • Doug Pederson and Howie Roseman, among other Eagles connects whom Joe Douglas is presumably close with, were a part of the teams who drafted and coached Kafka. 
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, football guy said:

That’s definitely not a bad choice.  Hadn’t heard him mentioned yet but I’m all for hearing him out.

4 hours ago, football guy said:

uStadium is pretty adamant that Mike Kafka will be a target and that the Jets will request an interview. Adam Schefter has alluded that Kafka will be arguably as popular as Eric Bieniemy as well.

Here's the connections between Kafka and the Jets/Douglas: 

• Phil Savage, current Jets Senior Advisor, was a member of the Eagles' Front Office when the team drafted Kafka in 2010.
  • Daniel Jeremiah, former scout/colleague and close friend of Joe Douglas, was the head scout of the West region and presumably did tons of work on Kafka as a prospect. 
  • Doug Pederson and Howie Roseman, among other Eagles connects whom Joe Douglas is presumably close with, were a part of the teams who drafted and coached Kafka. 

This would be left field one for me.  Personally, I don’t know if Kafka is ready to be the “big man” yet, but I think he will be a big name to watch over the next few cycles.  I’d have to imagine he will be Reid’s new right-hand-man if Bieniemy manages to land a job.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

That’s definitely not a bad choice.  Hadn’t heard him mentioned yet but I’m all for hearing him out.

This would be left field one for me.  Personally, I don’t know if Kafka is ready to be the “big man” yet, but I think he will be a big name to watch over the next few cycles.  I’d have to imagine he will be Reid’s new right-hand-man if Bieniemy manages to land a job.

Douglas setting up Plans A & B for each coaching candidate category. 

College Program Builder CEO: Matt Campbell, Pat Fitzgerald, & Pj Fleck

Young offensive guy who's “a year early”: Joe Brady, Arthur Smith, & Mike Kafka

Familiarity: Don Martindale, Marvin Lewis, & Doug Pederson (if he’s let go) 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, football guy said:

I don't buy that one bit.  That seems like something an agent planted to get a raise from Minnesota.  Nothing Fleck does has traditional translation to the NFL.  Not motivational style, not personality, not schematically.  I have been wrong about things countless times and maybe I'll be wrong here, but I would be shocked if he is getting NFL interview requests.

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I'm still hoping the Jets can make a run at Saleh and that he can poach 1 of SF's 2 co-offensive coordinators. 

I actually am really starting to get on the Saleh train.  Might be my number 1 choice.  

Just watching the various units play(of candidates who are currently OCs) I think his unit is the best schematically and the best prepared.  I don't watch every game of every team obviously, but I am always impressed with the Niners defense.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I agree with you. This craze for young coaches is going to bite a team in the ass soon. I think Kafka's star will be immeasurably brighter if he spends more time with Reid, but some team may look to pull the trigger before his admiration becomes widespread. 

Personally, I'm all-in on program builders this go around

• Upvote 2

If Douglas really is in charge of picking the new coach you’d assume it might be someone he’s worked with before probably a current NFL assistant coach. As for hiring someone fired this year I’d have no problem with Pederson or Lynn. The wild card for Douglas is he doesn’t fire Gase. It was Gase who actually brought in Douglas after he got Macc fired. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

If Douglas really is in charge of picking the new coach you’d assume it might be someone he’s worked with before probably a current NFL assistant coach. As for hiring someone fired this year I’d have no problem with Pederson or Lynn. The wild card for Douglas is he doesn’t fire Gase. It was Gase who actually brought in Douglas after he got Macc fired. 

Whatever JD thinks of Gase personally and as a coach is irrelevant.  Jets have to fire Gase for PR considerations.  Any other decision is too costly in terms of lost revenue.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

See if they give us Matt and Julio for Sam and the 2nd pick

matty ice is a heck of a qb.  but his career just shows what happens when the qb is really good but the surrounding team is sub par.  same can be said of stafford in detroit.  that should help people digest not drafting lawrence a little better.

21 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

My guess is Joe is going to hire someone he knows and knows well. More than most, Douglas seems to put higher emphasis on guys he's worked with or has some connection to, especially players. That's primarily why we're seeing connections with former Ravens' coaches and college coaches, because he's spent a lot of time with both. It's not always a given though; there are cases where GMs hire coaches they hadn't worked with. In fact, Douglas's top hire in his front office was someone he hadn't worked with. 

As for his front office, Rex Hogan was a primary hire who he didn't have a previous working relationship with. However, when Douglas took over as director of college scouting for the Chicago Bears in 2015, Hogan had already left to join the Jets earlier that offseason. Douglas had access to Hogan's scouting reports and was impressed with his process. That, plus reputation and familiarity with the Jets organization and holdovers in the front office, were why Hogan was his top choice. 

If it ends up being someone he's worked with under the same roof, the clear candidates are Wink Martindale, Greg Roman, Marvin Lewis, Jim Caldwell, Doug Pederson (if fired). 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Doug Pederson will return to PHI, and it looks like he’ll be asked to shake up the staff. Jim Schwartz will not renew his contract, opting to take a year off and reevaluate in 2022.

A guy to keep an eye on is Press Taylor. Many in the industry really like him. Joe Douglas is close to him. I don’t think Joe would force him upon the new coach, but could see him highly recommend him in a QB coach/PGC type role if PHI let’s him go. He’s CIN HC Zac Taylor’s younger brother, so could land there as well, along with KC. I don’t think Pederson will want to fire him but may be forced to (see Mike Groh, 2020)... also ownership/front office is going to ask him to hire a traditional OC, which would force his hand. 

• Upvote 2

According to Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero, the Jets will conduct a wide ranging search that includes: 

• KC OC Eric Bieniemy 
  • IND DC Matt Eberflus 
  • BAL DC Wink Martindale 
  • TEN OC Arthur Smith 
  • LAR DC Brandon Staley 
  • ISU HC Matt Campbell 
  • UM HC Jim Harbaugh 
  • UF HC Dan Mullen 

"... and everyone in between"

I've heard the connections to everyone on this list but Bieniemy and Staley. Bieniemy interviewed last go around, but the Jets weren't all that impressed. Staley is considered an up-and-comer with college roots and Vic Fangio vouches for him. Everyone else listed isn't a big surprise. 

• Upvote 2