Jets defense exposed Baker

I have to say, I am impressed with our run D. I never expected it to be so stout against the Browns combo of Hunt and Chubb especially without Q. The by product of that was Baker was forced to win it with his arm. Granted his WR were not on the field but that did not cause baker to fumble twice. This has been an issue with him going back to his rookie season. The guy really has not improved in this area, especially with the game on the line. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, kmnj said:

jets are good at one thing-good run d-browns had no wrs so jets were able to focus on the rbs

baker has played well this season

I mean, when you have arguably the leagues best OL, a two headed monster in the backfield, a pro-bowl caliber TE and another who is a former 1st round pick and solid when healthy, Jarvis Landry, etc...you’d have to be truly sh*tastic to not at least look competent out there.

• Upvote 3

What this game and season exposed is that with the right pieces and coaching, Baker for the first time looked really good.

When a lot of those pieces were taken away, he looked bad.

As others have said, this has been Darnold’s whole career and Baker is older + 3 year starter in college.

Darnold still has a chance to turn it around...if the team supports him properly.

But, I think that should be option B vs. drafting Wilson at 2.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I mean, when you have arguably the leagues best OL, a two headed monster in the backfield, a pro-bowl caliber TE and another who is a former 1st round pick and solid when healthy, Jarvis Landry, etc...you’d have to be truly sh*tastic to not at least look competent out there.

well as a pro defense if you dont have to worry about 25% of the offense the wrs-it is easier to stop the rest of the guys

1 minute ago, JetsFan1986 said:

Look I’m not a Baker fan at all but he experienced what Sam has had to deal with for 3 years.  When you don’t have any weapons it’s very tough to excel.  For Dam it’s been worse because he had had no weapons, protection, or coaching 

but some here say sam has a very good core of wrs in crowder mims and perriman(I dont agree but none the less)

Just now, kmnj said:

but some here say sam has a very good core of wrs in crowder mims and perriman(I dont agree but none the less)

I like crowder a lot but he isn’t a number 1 or 2 on most teams.  Mims I also like but he is a rookie who has only played a handful of games.  Perriman only gives minimal effort much of the time.  He will have a big 2-3 games but that’s it 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Pretty sure I saw WRs on the field and I’m also pretty sure they were all better than Hogan, Berrios, and Malone 

I mean seriously not only that but imagine going out there with Gore and the corpse of Herndon with Gase calling plays vs. njoku Hunt and stefanski. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Baker played like a young QB that has zero skill players and a terrible OL. This should be entirely familiar to us. At least we know now that if they drafted Sam and we got Baker - not much would be different.

Zero skill players except Chubb Hunt and NJoku, not to mention a competent player caller. GtFO

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Zero skill players except Chubb Hunt and NJoku, not to mention a competent player caller. GtFO

You’re unsurprisingly missing the point.

No WRs = Chubb and Hunt were neutralized = leaving Baker with no “weaponz”. Combine that with the depleted OL and It is basically the Sam experience.

Njoku is #3 on their TE depth chart, so that’s simply a stupid argument.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Oh so Sam Darnold?

THe OP was talking about stuffing the run game.....your posts defending the Browns losing to a 1-13 game are getting tiring and devoid of substance 

Yes, Sam has had to deal with stuff like this for most of his career.  What is your point?  Did I criticize Sam?  

As far as stuffing the run game, do you really think that not having your top 4 WRs plus 2 OL wouldn't affect a team's running game??? 

Just now, Integrity28 said:

You’re unsurprisingly missing the point.

No WRs = Chubb and Hunt were neutralized = leaving Baker with no “weaponz”. Combine that with the depleted OL and It is basically the Sam experience.

Njoku is #3 on their TE depth chart, so that’s simply a stupid argument.

Fair enough on njoku didn’t realize he had fallen off. Regardless, Chubb and Hunt are elite RBs, and there were still WRs on the field. If that’s all it takes to neutralize the best RB duo in the NFL what do you call what we had to deal with for virtually the whole year? 

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yes, Sam has had to deal with stuff like this for most of his career.  What is your point?  Did I criticize Sam?  

As far as stuffing the run game, do you really think that not having your top 4 WRs plus 2 OL wouldn't affect a team's running game??? 

Next man up...you are a 10 win team....playoffs on the line. If one position knocks you out of contention you werent making a serious january run anyway....Win the game. Its football. Stop making excuses 

Being competitive in the NFL involves a lot of things in addition to having talented players and good coaches.   You have to keep your players healthy from injury and sickness.

Many of the Jets early losses (or at least poor showings) were caused by the injury status of the players.  This is something that needs to be fixed, and it was a problem last year that was supposed to be fixed.

But, this season, another challenge for teams was to stay COVID healthy.  To give the Jets credit, they have done very, very well managing COVID, in a state with the worst COVID rate in the world.  The Browns had a big COVID lapse last week, and it basically cost them the game.

But yes, Baker Mayfield, number 1 pick in the 2018 draft, needs good players around him to play well.  Just like Darnold, the 3 pick, needs.  The Browns did a better job building a team around Baker in 2021 than the Jets did for Darnold.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Point is that you can’t make it an excuse for baker without making it one for Darnold too...

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Next man up...you are a 10 win team....playoffs on the line. If one position knocks you out of contention you werent making a serious january run anyway....Win the game. Its football. Stop making excuses 

The OP's point was about how good our run defense looked, not about the Browns' playoff outlook.  My point was that we shouldn't look too deeply into this one game considering how shorthanded the Browns' offense was.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, QB1 said:

Fair enough on njoku didn’t realize he had fallen off. Regardless, Chubb and Hunt are elite RBs, and there were still WRs on the field. If that’s all it takes to neutralize the best RB duo in the NFL what do you call what we had to deal with for virtually the whole year? 

Never mind Njoku, they still have Austin Hooper at TE who made two straight pro-bowls prior to this year and signed a huge contract with Cleveland in the offseason.

Add that to Chubb/Hunt and Baker still had more talent around him on Sunday than Darnold ever has since coming into the league.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The OP's point was about how good our run defense looked, not about the Browns' playoff outlook.  My point was that we shouldn't look too deeply into this one game considering how shorthanded the Browns' offense was.  

They werent that short handed....They had their RB's TE QB and Oline....sorry doesnt work

9 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

They werent that short handed....They had their RB's TE QB and Oline....sorry doesnt work

They were missing 2 OL.  And they had practice squad WRs.  You don't think that would allow the Jets to overload against the run?!  Is that why Chubb and Hunt got a total of 15 carries combined while Baker threw the ball 53 times?  (And we only scored 23 points so it's not like it was a shootout.)

Cleveland.png.35bd1be44e2bba72d5127e850b08af2b.png