Jets defense exposed Baker

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

They were missing 2 OL.  And they had practice squad WRs.  You don't think that would allow the Jets to overload against the run?  Is that why Chubb and Hunt got a total of 15 carries combined while Baker threw the ball 53 times?  And we only scored 23 points so it's not like it was a shootout.

Cleveland.png.35bd1be44e2bba72d5127e850b08af2b.png

Keep going....Berrios was making plays for us and no one has heard of our CBs

Try again...this is fun

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, QB1 said:

You, your mom, my uncle, stephen a smith, etc 

So you meant "you" as in "people in general".

First off, the OP's point was about our run defense, NOT Sam.

Second, I'm not the person to direct this point to.  I haven't given up on Sam (though I admit I'm a little discouraged by his play this year) and I've always been one of his biggest defenders on here.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Pretty sure the title of this thread is “Jets exposed Baker”.

Lol, my bad.  Though the OP did start the convo with "I have to say, I am impressed with our run D. I never expected it to be so stout against the Browns combo of Hunt and Chubb especially without Q."

22 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The OP's point was about how good our run defense looked, not about the Browns' playoff outlook.  My point was that we shouldn't look too deeply into this one game considering how shorthanded the Browns' offense was.  

Ok, first off we are missing Mosely by opt out, and Q from injury. Want to speculate how much better our D would be with those two on the field? 

I don't care that they had no Wr's. Our DB's would be second string on every NFL team but ours. We weren't putting Stephen Gilmore out there on their guys. Also Baker was throwing to TE's and RB's and we are crap at covering those positions. Look at what Waller did to this team. I don't want to hear about another teams injuries or talent level. Our team has played like crap most of the year and the last two games the D looks much better. About the only smart move Gase has made as a Jets HC was to fire GW. And to think that fool cost us hiring Rhule. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I have to say, I am impressed with our run D. I never expected it to be so stout against the Browns combo of Hunt and Chubb especially without Q. The by product of that was Baker was forced to win it with his arm. Granted his WR were not on the field but that did not cause baker to fumble twice. This has been an issue with him going back to his rookie season. The guy really has not improved in this area, especially with the game on the line. 

I think it's comical that people want to slam Baker what with him being head and shoulders above Sam.  You'd trade Sam for Baker even up I presume! 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, first off we are missing Mosely by opt out, and Q from injury. Want to speculate how much better our D would be with those two on the field? 

I don't care that they had no Wr's. Our DB's would be second string on every NFL team but ours. We weren't putting Stephen Gilmore out there on their guys. Also Baker was throwing to TE's and RB's and we are crap at covering those positions. Look at what Waller did to this team. I don't want to hear about another teams injuries or talent level. Our team has played like crap most of the year and the last two games the D looks much better. About the only smart move Gase has made as a Jets HC was to fire GW. And to think that fool cost us hiring Rhule. 

I'm neither making excuses or feeling sorry for the Browns.  My point is that I wouldn't give too much credence to how well our run defense played against a Browns' team that was missing its top 4 WRs and 2 OL.

Why do you think Baker threw the ball 53 times while Chubb and Hunt only got 15 carries combined?  Possibly because the Jets were overplaying the run because we knew they were using practice squad WRs?!

19 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So you meant "you" as in "people in general".

First off, the OP's point was about our run defense, NOT Sam.

Second, I'm not the person to direct this point to.  I haven't given up on Sam (though I admit I'm a little discouraged by his play this year) and I've always been one of his biggest defenders on here.

Just to end this point, my point was the Jets run D force Baker to throw a lot. The Browns have been winning by running the ball down teams throats. When Baker has to throw, they lose. And don't tell me he has no recievers. Hooper is a WR in a TE's body and Hunt is a better pass catcher than anyone on the Jets not named Crowder and we can't cover either guy consistently. 

Baker is Baker.  He's an average starting QB who can give you a great game and terrible game in back to back weeks.  Unfortunately for the Browns with Mahomes, Allen, Watson, Jackson, Herbert, possibly Tua and with Lawrence and possibly Fields joining as well, he's never going to be a top QB in his won conference, let alone the NFL.

That said, the Browns have 10 wins, a shot at the playoffs and that's a long way from where they were just a few years ago.  I think we'd all sign up for that right now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

So basically Darnold’s situation for the majority of his career.

Franchise QBs are supposed to transcend all personnel issues and find ways to make all his teammates better.....I read something like that on Jetnation, so it must be true.

28 minutes ago, JiF said:

Baker is Baker.  He's an average starting QB who can give you a great game and terrible game in back to back weeks.  Unfortunately for the Browns with Mahomes, Allen, Watson, Jackson, Herbert, possibly Tua and with Lawrence and possibly Fields joining as well, he's never going to be a top QB in his won conference, let alone the NFL.

That said, the Browns have 10 wins, a shot at the playoffs and that's a long way from where they were just a few years ago.  I think we'd all sign up for that right now.

I think the point is that when you surround your QB with talent it will help them succeed.  This Sunday we saw that when you take away talent from the QB they will suffer.  Our QB has had to deal with that for his whole tenure here yet lately some just say he sucks no matter what 

• Thumb Down 1

25 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Just to end this point, my point was the Jets run D force Baker to throw a lot. The Browns have been winning by running the ball down teams throats. When Baker has to throw, they lose. And don't tell me he has no recievers. Hooper is a WR in a TE's body and Hunt is a better pass catcher than anyone on the Jets not named Crowder and we can't cover either guy consistently. 

My point:

The Browns losing their top 4 WRs and 2 OL allowed the Jets to overload against the run.  That's why Chubb/Hunt got 15 carries combined while Baker threw the ball 53 times. 

Ftr, I'm not a Baker fan and never have been (he's mediocre).   And for those wondering, I'd still rather have Sam than Baker.  

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

My point:

The Browns losing their top 4 WRs and 2 OL allowed the Jets to overload against the run.  That's why Chubb/Hunt got 15 carries combined while Baker threw the ball 53 times. 

Ftr, I'm not a Baker fan and never have been (he's mediocre).   And for those wondering, I'd still rather have Sam than Baker.  

So you're saying that for the first time in a decade our team (defence in this case) adapted to a opponents weaknesses.   All I can say is that it's about f'king time!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm neither making excuses or feeling sorry for the Browns.  My point is that I wouldn't give too much credence to how well our run defense played against a Browns' team that was missing its top 4 WRs and 2 OL.

Why do you think Baker threw the ball 53 times while Chubb and Hunt only got 15 carries combined?  Possibly because the Jets were overplaying the run because we knew they were using practice squad WRs?!

Because they were playing from behind all game. You don't run when you are playing catch up 

22 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

My point:

Your point doesn't address the one I was making. 

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I have to say, I am impressed with our run D. I never expected it to be so stout against the Browns combo of Hunt and Chubb especially without Q. The by product of that was Baker was forced to win it with his arm. Granted his WR were not on the field but that did not cause baker to fumble twice. This has been an issue with him going back to his rookie season. The guy really has not improved in this area, especially with the game on the line. 

Then the Browns' top four wide receivers — Jarvis Landry, Rashard Higgins, rookie Donovan Peoples-Jones and KhaDarel Hodge — plus rookie linebacker Jacob Phillips were identified as high-risk close contacts of Goodson, so they landed on the list, too.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yes.

Why would you bring this up, btw?  Did I criticize Sam?

Because this isn’t a random Baker Mayfield thread. It specifically pertains to a game which Baker Mayfield and the Browns played against Sam Darnold and the Jets.

Mayfield looked completely lost for the most part as soon as he didn’t have his full arsenal of weapons around him.

Just pointing out the Sam Darnold has been put in the same (I would argue worse) situation for the vast majority of his pro career. That’s all. Didn’t say you were criticizing Darnold.

22 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Because this isn’t a random Baker Mayfield thread. It specifically pertains to a game which Baker Mayfield and the Browns played against Sam Darnold and the Jets.

Mayfield looked completely lost for the most part as soon as he didn’t have his full arsenal of weapons around him.

Just pointing out the Sam Darnold has been put in the same (I would argue worse) situation for the vast majority of his pro career. That’s all. Didn’t say you were criticizing Darnold.

I agree.  The only reason I was asking is because I've always been one of Sam's biggest defenders on here.

54 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Then the Browns' top four wide receivers — Jarvis Landry, Rashard Higgins, rookie Donovan Peoples-Jones and KhaDarel Hodge — plus rookie linebacker Jacob Phillips were identified as high-risk close contacts of Goodson, so they landed on the list, too.

This argument has been made and defended ad-nausea. Feel free to jump in. 

Browns were very depleted, but the Defensive line has been playing really well the past two weeks and has been good overall all season.  The interior guys the Jets have in Franklin Meyers, Sheppard, Fatukasi, and Williams is a nice front interior of the line to build around with a lot of depth, stout against the run, and good pass rush ability (possibly great as Williams develops).  Getting some Edge presence this offseason will really help this defense out, as will the return of CJ mosely if he suits up for this team again. 

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I mean, when you have arguably the leagues best OL, a two headed monster in the backfield, a pro-bowl caliber TE and another who is a former 1st round pick and solid when healthy, Jarvis Landry, etc...you’d have to be truly sh*tastic to not at least look competent out there.

A few weeks ago, Bart Scott was down on Baker saying what the heck does he need to succeed? He's got a great O line and literally 2 of everything -- 2 RBs, 2 #1 WRs and 2 TEs. There is no excuse for him not filling up the stat sheet this season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetsFan1986 said:

I think the point is that when you surround your QB with talent it will help them succeed.  This Sunday we saw that when you take away talent from the QB they will suffer.  Our QB has had to deal with that for his whole tenure here yet lately some just say he sucks no matter what 

Wrong. People have been saying he sucks since he was at USC and for good reason.  And they have provided ample proof. And JD will be trading him and drafting  QB @ 2. No matter what.

• Thumb Down 2