Fant was better in pass block than Becton

Rhg1084

53 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Do any of you pay attention?  Fant is 63rd out of 65 in run blocking.  If you are one of the bottom 3 tackles in the NFL at run blocking, you need to go.  Take Sewell and be #1 out of 65 in run blocking.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

Fant has been ok.  

If JD is high on Sewell, there is really no reason not to draft him at 2.  If he does not go at 2, he will go top 5.  

If Becton and Sewell are our two Ts, they will consume a fraction of the combined cap space as Stanley or Tunsil do individually.  Money can be spent on Dak Prescott or elsewhere.  Money and players are fungible.  The key is to draft players high that cost a lot in FA.

The Franchise Tag for Marcus Maye is $11mm.   That makes drafting Adams at 6 kind of ridiculous.  

On 12/29/2020 at 2:35 PM, Alka said:

Do any of you pay attention?  Fant is 63rd out of 65 in run blocking.  If you are one of the bottom 3 tackles in the NFL at run blocking, you need to go.  Take Sewell and be #1 out of 65 in run blocking.

Have we ever had success running to the right this year? Absolutely not, because Fant is soft at run blocking. He's got good feet & gets in the way pass blocking. Seattles Oline blows & they let this guy go, you have to ask why? Pete Carroll still believes in running the ball hard. Having a tough running game protects Wilson & sets up what he does best which is playaction! If we're not taking a QB, Sewell is the pick. It's not just pass blocking that helps a QB but most teams run to the strength of their Oline & the opposing teams watch the film & overload to those points to stop them. 

If the Jets have 2 beasts at tackle, 2 tough Guards (Thuney/McGovern), a mobile Center (Lindsey/Stud Rookie), that will help our QB, whoever it is. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Have we ever had success running to the right this year? Absolutely not, because Fant is soft at run blocking. He's got good feet & gets in the way pass blocking. Seattles Oline blows & they let this guy go, you have to ask why? Pete Carroll still believes in running the ball hard. Having a tough running game protects Wilson & sets up what he does best which is playaction! If we're not taking a QB, Sewell is the pick. It's not just pass blocking that helps a QB but most teams run to the strength of their Oline & the opposing teams watch the film & overload to those points to stop them. 

If the Jets have 2 beasts at tackle, 2 tough Guards (Thuney/McGovern), a mobile Center (Lindsey/Stud Rookie), that will help our QB, whoever it is. 

They can upgrade the RT position in a variety of other ways than to take Sewell, which would be a complete waste of an incredibly valuable asset. They've got free agency, and plenty of picks after #2.

Jets have much bigger holes on the roster. LT is not a problem, and RT isn't a problem you fix at #2 overall. It's either a QB or a trade down or both. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

They can upgrade the RT position in a variety of other ways than to take Sewell, which would be a complete waste of an incredibly valuable asset. They've got free agency, and plenty of picks after #2.

Jets have much bigger holes on the roster. LT is not a problem, and RT isn't a problem you fix at #2 overall. It's either a QB or a trade down or both. 

A waste of the 2nd pick would be taking the next Geno Justin Fields

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I don't have an opinion on the QBs just yet, other than that they all seem to have some sort of red flag that I expect to see hammered home over the next four months until I don't like any of them. Joe Douglas will weigh his evaluation of his top QB against whatever he's offered for the pick, and either take the QB or trade down. He has his LT, he's not taking Sewell. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Everyone gets caught up with the names. You might be right about Fields.  You might be wrong.

Sewell may end up being an Pro Bowl caliber tackle.  He might not be. Sewell has some red flags too.

Historically not many teams using the #2 pick on a right tackle. Probably for good reason. I'm all for building a top end OL.  That can be accomplished without taking a RT at 2.  If the Jets don't take a QB and can't move the pick, I'd argue Ja'Marr Chase makes more sense for the Jets than Sewell does.  And I'm not a big believer usually in spending all kinds of picks/money on WRs.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't have an opinion on the QBs just yet, other than that they all seem to have some sort of red flag that I expect to see hammered home over the next four months until I don't like any of them. Joe Douglas will weigh his evaluation of his top QB against whatever he's offered for the pick, and either take the QB or trade down. He has his LT, he's not taking Sewell. 

7C89F1E9-A72C-429D-B9DD-115D19900B64.jpeg.e84f32d1033834279e234d03384366f0.jpeg

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

Everyone gets caught up with the names. You might be right about Fields.  You might be wrong.

Sewell may end up being an Pro Bowl caliber tackle.  He might not be. Sewell has some red flags too.

Historically not many teams using the #2 pick on a right tackle. Probably for good reason. I'm all for building a top end OL.  That can be accomplished without taking a RT at 2.  If the Jets don't take a QB and can't move the pick, I'd argue JaMarre Chase makes more sense for the Jets than Sewell does.  And I'm not a big believer usually in spending all kinds of picks/money on WRs.

What are Sewell’s red flags besides sitting out the season due to a pandemic?

And the crazy thing is when I call Fields Geno 2.0 I’m actually being nice.  Geno is actually better than the last dozen QBs to come out of Ohio State