Craig Carton: Chris Johnson informs Gase he’s a goner

Rhg1084

Just now, fullblast said:

I swear if the guy would just give up play calling and bring in a qualified OC he'd be a decent coach. The players seem to like him and he manages the game decently well on Sundays. His scheme is just crap.

the bolded is lol 

32 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

thats not the point. letting the guy coach after firing him is a bad look for a pro team IMO. I think they need to get together and agree that since this was leaked, he should let other coaches go ahead this week.

In 1996 Kotite coached his last game even though the press conference announcing his departure was the Friday preceding the game on Sunday.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

In 1996 Kotite coached his last game even though the press conference announcing his departure was the Friday preceding the game on Sunday.

Good to know, i didnt realize it. I stand by my feelings that having a dead man walking coach is the wrong thing to do.

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

only good thing about that was chrebet got to give him the game ball 

kotitie sucked but he brought us wayne

33 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

thats not the point. letting the guy coach after firing him is a bad look for a pro team IMO. I think they need to get together and agree that since this was leaked, he should let other coaches go ahead this week.

Who cares? Honestly, some of you are so sensitive and are constantly worried about what idiots in Idaho may think about what the Jets are doing. The players have clearly not quit on him and there has been no chaos surrounding the team so who gives a crap if he coaches the last meaningless game. 

Just be happy he is gone

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I can't believe how many on this board wanted to keep this loser around for so long. 

IDK, outside of @SAR I having some fun with the board, I really can't think of to many posters who want to see Gase back as HC.

Some just aren't 100% sure he'll be fired with the Johnson's history.  What I'm stunned about is that 35% of the board want Darnold back.

• Upvote 1

It was a rough 2 years. Fans were right from the beginning, not a single fan I knew was confident in this hire. It was a bad hire then, worse hire looking back on it. Gase played a role in getting rid of Mac, Mehta and partially Jamal. So I guess thanks for that. Stupid question ( especially since we change coaches so often I should know ) but when do we usually know who the next coach is? Is it before the super bowl?

6 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the bolded is lol 

Again, that's all to do with his awful play calling. I don't recall nearly as many clock management issues, for example, as under Rex, Bowles and Herm. I know it's the cool thing to just dump on Gase but there are some things he didn't completely suck at.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

IDK, outside of @SAR I having some fun with the board, I really can't think of to many posters who want to see Gase back as HC.

Some just aren't 100% sure he'll be fired with the Johnson's history.  What I'm stunned about is that 35% of the board want Darnold back.

And most of those expect Darnold to rebound because Gase is fired.  For too many its either A or B some can't fathom that both may suck. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Again, that's all to do with his awful play calling. I don't recall nearly as many clock management issues, for example, as under Rex, Bowles and Herm. I know it's the cool thing to just dump on Gase but there are some things he didn't completely suck at.

His initially scripted plays were good, some of his play designs are good as well. He has no feel for the game, his clock management was horrible from a play calling perspective (calling 3 straight pass plays at the end of the half against Rams that allowed them to get an additional 3 points) IMO that's not "play-calling" that's horrible clock management.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

It was a rough 2 years. Fans were right from the beginning, not a single fan I knew was confident in this hire. It was a bad hire then, worse hire looking back on it. Gase played a role in getting rid of Mac, Mehta and partially Jamal. So I guess thanks for that. Stupid question ( especially since we change coaches so often I should know ) but when do we usually know who the next coach is? Is it before the super bowl?

Depends who the target is.  If the candidate is still in the playoffs, he can't be hired until the Super Bowl.  In the past, because the Johnson's know nothing about football they have made a big process of it bringing in outside advisors.

I just hope they will get out of the way, and  turn the team over to the only Football guy in the building, Douglas, and let him build his team............................  I doubt it

• Upvote 2