Craig Carton: Chris Johnson informs Gase he’s a goner

Rhg1084

9 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And most of those expect Darnold to rebound because Gase is fired.  For too many its either A or B some can't fathom that both may suck. 

Now at least we get to see Darnold for a full year under a competent coach and an improved roster(hopefully).  If he's still inconsistently average or worse after 2021, we have a definitive answer and can move on. Normally 3 years is more than enough time to assess a QB, but these circumstances were so extraordinary, I think I'm leaning towards being ok giving Darnold one more year.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, fullblast said:

I swear if the guy would just give up play calling and bring in a qualified OC he'd be a decent coach. The players seem to like him and he manages the game decently well on Sundays. His scheme and play calling is just crap.

The team did play hard for him.  You did not hear players complaining except Adams and Bell and they were traded.  But the thing about  Gase is he just isn't suited for a HC position.  He is merely a OC or QB coach.  I remember his  introduction press conference and he said he had no interest in personel decisions.  He doesn't want to deal with all the extra duties that a HC must be involved  with.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

His initially scripted plays were good, some of his play designs are good as well. He has no feel for the game, his clock management was horrible from a play calling perspective (calling 3 straight pass plays at the end of the half against Rams that allowed them to get an additional 3 points) IMO that's not "play-calling" that's horrible clock management.

I said at the time I wouldn’t have kicked the 50 yard FG Sunday. Ficken already had a kick blocked. We all know how inconsistent he’s been. Why risk giving Mayfield a short field and gain some momentum. Punt it and make Baker go 90 yards without WRs. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Now at least we get to see Darnold for a full year under a competent coach and an improved roster(hopefully).  If he's still inconsistently average or worse after 2021, we have a definitive answer and can move on. Normally 3 years is more than enough time to assess a QB, but these circumstances were so extraordinary, I think I'm leaning towards being ok giving Darnold one more year.

Or do we then fire that HC , extend Sam and get  another coach for him to try with in 2022 . Sam's not the answer , and unlike jeopardy I don't know the question.

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

I cant for the life of me understand the logic behind anything this organization does...

They decide to keep Gase through the season. This is stupid on multiple levels, mainly the fact that you have a lame duck head coach who clearly has different goals than the GM and the rest of the organization. Gase wants to try to salvage a win by any means possible. I.e. Running Frank Gore 20 times a game while the goal for the rest of the organization should be seeing what kind of talent they have on the back end of the roster, i.e. Johnson should be running the ball 25 times and Morgan should be starting at QB. 

You've already done the team a disservice by keeping Gase throughout this season but then just before the season is over, you reportedly officially tell him that he'll be fired at the end of the year... What the hell was the point of allowing this idiot to remain the coach the entire year?! He should have been fired 10 weeks ago and the interim coach given a mandate to play and evaluate all the young players on this team for next year. 

• Sympathy 2

Just now, Creepy Lurker said:

Chris Johnson said he made a mistake keeping Mac for too long. I’m glad he learned from his mistake and immediately did the same thing again. CJ makes idiot Woody look like a genius. He is Macaggnan level horrible when it comes to owner’s being completely brain dead. 

If the Johnsons had actually learned anything about poor performers that stay too long, they would have sold the team.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Chris Johnson said he made a mistake keeping Mac for too long. I’m glad he learned from his mistake and immediately did the same thing again. CJ makes idiot Woody look like a genius. He is Macaggnan level horrible when it comes to owner’s being completely brain dead. 

Youre blaming him for learning from his mistakes?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You cant fix stupid. 

The Johnson brothers are football morons. 

And as I keep repeating and no one replies, the Hunt family has owned the Chiefs forever.  Went from the year after the Jets won their SB until a few years ago with fewer playoff appearances than the jets.  Now theyre geniuses to be jealous of.   Jerry Jones went from hiring Jimmy Johnson and being a bug time winner and genius to a moron who wishes he was as successful as basically any other team in the NFL.  You dont have to be a football savant if you hit on a single hire

If JD and CJ get this right, we wont care.  Thats what the GM is for

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jet Nut said:

And as I keep repeating and no one replies, the Hunt family has owned the Chiefs forever.  Went from the year after the Jets won their SB until a few years ago with fewer playoff appearances than the jets.  Now theyre geniuses to be jealous of.   Jerry Jones went from hiring Jimmy Johnson and being a bug time winner and genius to a moron who wishes he was as successful as basically any other team in the NFL.  You dont have to be a football savant if you hit on a single hire

Do you see the Johnsons as having any clue about football whatsoever. I don't. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Do you see the Johnsons as having any clue about football whatsoever. I don't. 

I would love to know what football knowledge it took and had to do with going to two HOF GMs to help hire a HC and then watch Bowles fail.  

The same moron who hired all those failures in Miami is now a genius for hiring Flores, thats my thought.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Bowles knew he was gone before his last game

Rex knew he was gone before his last game

I assume they want the HC to tell the players their goodbyes

IIRC Bowles didn’t know. He was supposed to meet with CJ Monday morning but when they returned from NE he asked to speak to CJ and asked him if he was done. Of course CJ said yes. 

Sounds like they don't want to fire him after 2 straight wins and will allow him to coach the final game, but still want him gone.

But telling him in advance allows the Jets to begin contacting other coaching candidates.

It's a move essentially so that the Jets try not to look like dicks when the news inevitably breaks that the Jets are contacting HC candidates in the week leading up to a game where Gase is coaching.

Basically, this little winning streak was goofing up the Jets plans to be calling coaches first thing the other morning.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, jetstream23 said:

They don't want to fire him after 2 straight wins and will allow him to coach the final game.

But telling him in advance allows the Jets to begin contacting other coaching candidates.

It's a move essentially so that the Jets try not to look like dicks when the news inevitably breaks that the Jets are contacting HC candidates in the week leading up to a game where Gase is coaching.

Basically, this little winning streak was goofing up the Jets plans to be calling coaches first thing the other morning.

They can’t even fire right.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Sounds like they don't want to fire him after 2 straight wins and will allow him to coach the final game, but still want him gone.

Great post.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, fullblast said:

I swear if the guy would just give up play calling and bring in a qualified OC he'd be a decent coach. The players seem to like him and he manages the game decently well on Sundays. His scheme and play calling is just crap.

Really, no offense but what the hell have you been watching for two years?  Are you as delusional SAR1? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

They can't contact anyone under contract to an NFL team.  Maybe an NCAA guy, but no real advantage.