Albert Breer says keep an eye on this coach for Jets vacancy

HawkeyeJet

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

If it is Smith I believe that they are keeping Sam Darnold; because he has some experience in turning around Gase's messes and understanding the approach that was used by Adam Gase hence he could help with the transition

so we're getting Derek Henry too?!? lol ... Seattle's pick = Najee Harris or Etiene 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I must say...

Before the big, milestone win. - The Jets were connected to Cower, Harbaugn and a slew of big time college HC's.

Two short weeks later it's a slew of JAG OC's.

We were never connected to these guys except through the fantasies of people on this forum

8 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

If it is Smith I believe that they are keeping Sam Darnold; because he has some experience in turning around Gase's messes and understanding the approach that was used by Adam Gase hence he could help with the transition

I was thinking the same thing. Plus sign Jonnu Smith

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Well he certainly is moving up the pecking order. OL & TE Coach to OC. I like that he understands how to coach OL and getting TE involved in the offense. A good running game and line is essential to whoever is going to be our QB. 

In all seriousness I wonder if he is the type to get a legit OC and the type that would "Run" the team not be a play caller as well.

10 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

• Matt Campbell is the top choice and the best possible coach for us.

• Joe Brady, Arthur Smith, Don Martindale are very good Plan Bs.

• Brian Daboll & Robert Saleh would be right up there with them, but they’re not realistic for us.

• Marvin Lewis, Greg Roman, Eric Bienemy meh. Could be worse but mehhhh.

• Matt Eberflus, Joe Woods, Patrick Graham, Dennis Allen, Leslie Frazier hells no!

• Wild Cards —> Mike McDaniel, Dan Mullen, Doug Pederson

No connection to Douglas so probably a long shot. Todd Monken interested me last HC search. HC in college. Took over a 0-12 Southern Miss team and was 9-5 by year 3. OC in NFL. Current UGA OC. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Very much in agreement. The only difference I have is Marvin Lewis would be with the Plan B's. how soon people forget just how successful he was in Cincinnati. His main problem was his affinity for hard cases. He had too many high maintenance players on his Cincy teams, but I doubt JD would allow that to happen under his watch. 

I'm intrigued by Lewis only to the extent that as a "been there, done that" gray beard, he'd probably be a decent CEO type that wouldn't have ego issues giving the O and D to a couple of young hot shot coordinators to manage...

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  He's a JAG until proven otherwise.

I know whole bunch of OC's that were good for more than one year and terrible coaches.  

Two years ago he was a TE's coach.  4 years ago he was the assistant TE coach. 

I'll pass.

Where was McVay 4 years before you ever heard of him?  Vrabel?  Tomlin?  Cowher?  

Having heard of him means nothing

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I learned the other day that Arthur Smith's father is the founder of FedEx or some big mega company

Could be wrong, but I heard that somewhere

Dude must really love football.  That's probably a good sign that he has advanced as far as he has when he might not even need to work, or work much.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Where was McVay 4 years before you ever heard of him?  Vrabel?  Tomlin?  Cowher?  

Having heard of him means nothing

Obviously some coordinators become successful.  No one is discounting that - and Maybe Smith becomes the next Andy Reid. 

But given the choice between a coordinator with no history of success as a HC or a HC that has proven to be highly effective already - I'll choose the one that has already proven himself.

Point is, we now have to roll-the-dice on a long shot rather than placing a bet with much better odds.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Obviously some coordinators become successful.  No one is discounting that - and Maybe Smith becomes the next Andy Reid. 

But given the choice between a coordinator with no history of success as a HC or a HC that has proven to be highly effective as a HC already - I'll choose the one that has already proven himself.

Point is, we now have to roll-the-dice on a long shot rather than placing a bet with much better odds.

So who's on the top of your list for available proven HC's .

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

But given the choice between a coordinator with no history of success as a HC or a HC that has proven to be highly effective already - I'll choose the one that has already proven himself.

Most HC come through the ranks as coordinators.  Not many successful, sure fire, cant miss, proven HC exist or are available, they usually are working and not unemployed 

Its easy to want it all, but name one proven HC who's available and waiting for your call.

BTW, under your requirements for a HC you would have missed on Andy Reid because Andy Reid would never have gotten past his stint as a "jag" OC

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Baseless or not...

Before the big win that is sure to carry momentum into next season..

The speculation was legitimate coaches - - the speculation now is JAG OC's.  Wether the speculation is real or imagined it is, in fact, the case

Just pointing it out is all...

Every guy mentioned is better than the previous hire Mac made by a landslide.  It's good to know your panties are still in a bunch though. 

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So what former NFL coaches are your #1 and #2 choices?

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

If Matt Campbell is interested, that’s a potential game changer for me 

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Daboll is still tops on my list but I'd be very happy with Smith as well.

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Arthur Smith and the Tennessee Blueprint. 

Any of these guys over Gase at this point.

• Upvote 1

Got to say, I am encouraged by the names being touted for the Jets.

Smith or Martindale would both be good choices, as fundamentally sound coaches and co-ordinators of very strong units that they have helped to build.

Matt Campbell is a terrific college coach, and probably my top pick for us.

Marvin Lewis and Greg Roman as fallback candidates works for me too.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

Matt Campbell is a terrific college coach, and probably my top pick for us.

Marvin Lewis and Greg Roman as fallback candidates works for me too.

Campbell I think checks the most boxes. Young(but not too young), HC experience, can run a program, was an OC so understands offensive football.

It'd be a miracle if he takes the job since he declined an interview when we hired Gase but I'd be most happy if he was hired.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I must say...

Before the big, milestone win. - The Jets were connected to Cower, Harbaugn and a slew of big time college HC's.

Two short weeks later it's a slew of JAG OC's.

No one with half a brain believed we were ever really "connected" to Cowher or Harbaugh.  

It's amazing how foolish some fans are, "We're definitely getting the #1 pick", "we're hiring Bill Cowher". etc.

I guess it's easy to get one over on the gullible.  

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I learned the other day that Arthur Smith's father is the founder of FedEx or some big mega company

I wonder which path in life is harder?
Building a multi-billion dollar mega company like the father, or the son trying to win a Super Bowl coaching the Jets?

• Upvote 1