Albert Breer says keep an eye on this coach for Jets vacancy

HawkeyeJet

9 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I said available.

You guys are all missing the point.  You really are...

First of all - they're not available until they are.  

Cower all but came out and said he was available.  In coach speak he said he was...

But, the point I was making was - two weeks ago we were being tied to these guys..whether it was true or not..now we are tied to Jags and you guys are all excited about them.  How do you know Arthur Smith is available?

• Upvote 1

Didn't read the entire thread, but again I'm not interested in the HOT coordinator.... I want a HC who will know how to manage and drive this entire team. I'm sure there are coordinators that would work for such a HC, and I'm sure that JD will discuss this with said candidate. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Watch out for Martindale, that name is going to really heat up for our spot in the coming days 

The more I think about Martindale, the more I like the idea.

He seems primed to assemble a really strong staff if he gets the job too.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I’m sorry, for a franchise in this much turmoil...you can’t hire a 57 year old DC to turn this thing around.

Why?  57 is still relatively young in coaching years.  Do you think the Bills are regretting hiring Sean McDermott?  I’ve had my eye on Martindale since the beginning of the year.  Personally, I’d love it.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I’m sorry, for a franchise in this much turmoil...you can’t hire a 57 year old DC to turn this thing around.

Couldnt disagree more.  I was actually shocked the giants passed on him last year.  He's an excellent football coach, players love him, very well respected in the league and the proposed additions he wanted to make to his staff for the giants job and names im hearing about who he would bring here would be on par with some of the best staffs this team has put together collectively in a long time.  It would be an excellent hire if it happens, and I would be ecstatic about it. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Is he the leading contender, or a leading contender?

Without Matt Campbell confirming or denying interest, it’s hard to say whether or not he’s the guy, as that has been the number one name I’ve heard for a while now.  If we go the coordinator route I’d put him at the top of that list.

• Upvote 1

I do like how these young “up and coming” OCs are linked to Martindale.  

Don Martindale interviewed for the New York Giants head coach job last year. Intriguingly enough, Martindale mentioned that he would bring in (at the time) LSU OC Joe Brady as his OC. Ultimately, this didn’t amount to anything as Martindale stayed in Baltimore. However, it’s worth mentioning because it shows Martindale isn’t afraid to hire young and outside-the-box thinkers.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Without Matt Campbell confirming or denying interest, it’s hard to say whether or not he’s the guy, as that has been the number one name I’ve heard for a while now.  If we go the coordinator route I’d put him at the top of that list.

Same here, id say the short list right now is probably Campbell if he takes an interview, Martindale, and Lewis.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Campbell I think checks the most boxes. Young(but not too young), HC experience, can run a program, was an OC so understands offensive football.

It'd be a miracle if he takes the job since he declined an interview when we hired Gase but I'd be most happy if he was hired.

Much much different situation this time:

1. Then: Darnold entrenched as QB. Now: Can essentially pick any QB he wants other than TL and there is around 6 1st RD graded QBs

2. Then: Completely incompetent GM to even casual analysis. Now: Highly respected, well pedigreed GM with very solid first draft

3. Then: Doofus GM and owner wanted to force GW as the DC Now: JD will run HC search and (assumption) Campbell would have choice of staff

4. Then: Very limited draft capital Now: Most draft capital in the NFL and 4 1st rounders and 3 2nd and 3rd rounders over next two years. 

5. Then: Not really considered a rebuild Now: Campbell can completely build an entire program

He is my #1 choice, and all the ones he mentioned are near my top, plus he was saying Gase well before it happened last time.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I think Martindale is a good candidate but not for us.  I want an offensive guy or a an overall kind of guy (campbell)

I completely understand this line of thinking and not trying to "sell" Martindale to anyone, but he's more than just a DC.  He's shown at least through the interview process with other clubs he can identify young bright offensive minds that he wants to bring in.  That to me shows a guy that has a good grasp on the overall picture needed to be a good HC. He also comes from a really good program which I think is helpful when you can see how things are done the right way. I dont think anyone should be upset if he gets the job, in fact I think fans should rejoice that we got such a good hire.  To me, with the names being mentioned on the short list, i wouldnt be upset with anyone. But I think personally with the names mentioned for Don's staff i would be the most excited for the potential that his hire would bring. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I completely understand this line of thinking and not trying to "sell" Martindale to anyone, but he's more than just a DC.  He's shown at least through the interview process with other clubs he can identify young bright offensive minds that he wants to bring in.  That to me shows a guy that has a good grasp on the overall picture needed to be a good HC. He also comes from a really good program which I think is helpful when you can see how things are done the right way. I dont think anyone should be upset if he gets the job, in fact I think fans should rejoice that we got such a good hire.  To me, with the names being mentioned on the short list, i wouldnt be upset with anyone. But I think personally with the names mentioned for Don's staff i would be the most excited for the potential that his hire would bring. 

Ding ding ding. Rex’s OC suggestion was Matt Cavanaugh, only to keep Schotty. After that, Sparano (RIP no disrespect) and Morningweig. 

Martindale has offense in mind at least! Forward thinking!

• Upvote 2