Albert Breer says keep an eye on this coach for Jets vacancy

HawkeyeJet

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Worse winning percentage as Jets coach than Mangini. Can we get Mangini back instead? 

We were close to getting to the SB. That's good. Last 2 o3 yrs was bad. Good, then bad. Frontloaded with good.

I'd like a couple very good, fun years myself. I dont want Rex back. Never said that. But the Rex disrespect here is lame.

Best 2 year run since 1968-1969. shrug.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I completely understand this line of thinking and not trying to "sell" Martindale to anyone, but he's more than just a DC.  He's shown at least through the interview process with other clubs he can identify young bright offensive minds that he wants to bring in.  That to me shows a guy that has a good grasp on the overall picture needed to be a good HC. He also comes from a really good program which I think is helpful when you can see how things are done the right way. I dont think anyone should be upset if he gets the job, in fact I think fans should rejoice that we got such a good hire.  To me, with the names being mentioned on the short list, i wouldnt be upset with anyone. But I think personally with the names mentioned for Don's staff i would be the most excited for the potential that his hire would bring. 

I don't really want him but if he brings Zach Wilson in as his QB and hires an innovative OC I can accept it. If he wants to keep Darnold or draft Fields and is a ground and pound offensive thinker he can stay in Baltimore.

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Couldnt disagree more.  I was actually shocked the giants passed on him last year.  He's an excellent football coach, players love him, very well respected in the league and the proposed additions he wanted to make to his staff for the giants job and names im hearing about who he would bring here would be on par with some of the best staffs this team has put together collectively in a long time.  It would be an excellent hire if it happens, and I would be ecstatic about it. 

Thanks for the info, as I know nothing about him, but if what you say is true, then I would be onboard as well. We need a guy who lives football, and has good contacts, and since he's tasked with stopping some of these new offenses then I would think he'll know who to bring in to lead such an offense.

3 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Couldnt disagree more.  I was actually shocked the giants passed on him last year.  He's an excellent football coach, players love him, very well respected in the league and the proposed additions he wanted to make to his staff for the giants job and names im hearing about who he would bring here would be on par with some of the best staffs this team has put together collectively in a long time.  It would be an excellent hire if it happens, and I would be ecstatic about it. 

Couldn’t disagree more. Proposed staffs mean just that. You might as well just kept Bowles or Gase for continuity if you’re hiring another flavor of the week coordinator. Would be an awful hire imo. The usual suspects cheerleading this gives me huge pause too, as they seem to have an inside source.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Couldn’t disagree more. Proposed staffs mean just that. You might as well just kept Bowles or Gase for continuity if you’re hiring another flavor of the week coordinator. Would be an awful hire imo. The usual suspects cheerleading this gives me huge pause too, as they seem to have an inside source.

I’m happy about it because I like the guy.  Not because I have an inside source.  My inside source said that if Matt Campbell would take an interview, he’d be the front runner.  Am I still running the Jets PR team in your eyes if I also like Matt Campbell (he’s been my number one choice for years), or does the conspiracy narrative change because it’s a guy that isn’t a coordinator?

11 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’m happy about it because I like the guy.  Not because I have an inside source.  My inside source said that if Matt Campbell would take an interview, he’d be the front runner.  Am I still running the Jets PR team in your eyes if I also like Matt Campbell (he’s been my number one choice for years), or does the conspiracy narrative change because it’s a guy that isn’t a coordinator?

What is the difference between Martindale and Bowles?

if the Jets like Campbell, then offer him something he’d have a difficult time refusing. 

Campbell would be ideal, I just don’t see the Jets offering him the type of money it’d take him to leave. In order for the Jets to turn this around- they need the full control guy who’s built up bad programs. This takes $$$. Another coordinator with no experience (especially a D guy) just feels like another 3 years max coach and on to the next one. There’s nothing about Martindale that stands out. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What is the difference between Martindale and Bowles?

if the Jets like Campbell, then offer him something he’d have a difficult time refusing. 

Campbell would be ideal, I just don’t see the Jets offering him the type of money it’d take him to leave. In order for the Jets to turn this around- they need the full control guy who’s built up bad programs. This takes $$$. Another coordinator with no experience (especially a D guy) just feels like another 3 years max coach and on to the next one. There’s nothing about Martindale that stands out. 

Bowles never learned how to be a head coach.  He also was obsessed with running the ball and fired the best coordinator we had in years (Morton) because “he wanted a more run heavy offense”.  Martindale, by all accounts and rumors, seems to understand that running a 21st century offense is the only way you are going to be successful in this sport.

The Jets will absolutely pay Campbell.  That isn’t the question.  The question is whether or not he, like many others, wants to leave.  You could throw a giant contract at Lincoln Riley.  He isn’t leaving Oklahoma right now.  Also, as much as I like Campbell, he could just as easily add his name to the long list of college guys who don’t pan out in the NFL.  There is just as much risk with a college coach as there is with an NFL coordinator.  Again, because I said it to you before and you ignored it, do you think Buffalo is upset right now that they went with an unknown defensive coordinator in Sean McDermott??  No.  They’re over the moon that they got a guy who turned out to be one of the best coaches in the league.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Bowles never learned how to be a head coach.  He also was obsessed with running the ball and fired the best coordinator we had in years (Morton) because “he wanted a more run heavy offense”.  Martindale, by all accounts and rumors, seems to understand that running a 21st century offense is the only way you are going to be successful in this sport.

The Jets will absolutely pay Campbell.  That isn’t the question.  The question is whether or not he, like many others, wants to leave.  You could throw a giant contract at Lincoln Riley.  He isn’t leaving Oklahoma right now.  Also, as much as I like Campbell, he could just as easily add his name to the long list of college guys who don’t pan out in the NFL.  There is just as much risk with a college coach as there is with coordinator.  Again, because I said it to you before and you ignored it, do you think Buffalo is upset right now that they went with an unknown defensive coordinator in Sean McDermott??  No.  They’re over the moon that they got a guy who turned out to be one of the best coaches in the league.

If they would pay Campbell then it’s not even a contest between him and a guy who’s nearing 60 and has been a coordinator for 2 seasons. Like not even close.

Martindale seems like your solid positional coach and has paid his dues. He does not seem like a HC, especially for a franchise that has zero room to miss again. 

Mcdermott is only 46 and became a DC in his mid 30’s. Also a William and Mary grad.

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If they would pay Campbell then it’s not even a contest between him and a guy who’s nearing 60 and has been a coordinator for 2 seasons. Like not even close.

Martindale seems like your solid positional coach and has paid his dues. He does not seem like a HC, especially for a franchise that has zero room to miss again. 

Mcdermott is only 46 and became a DC in his mid 30’s. Also a William and Mary grad.

Andy Reid, Bill Belichick, Vrabel, Tomlin, McVay, yes McDermott etc, all HCs you never would have given a job because they were like Bowles, assistants or positional coaches 

I would be fine with Campbell, doesnt mean he will accomplish anything in the NFL, Saban failed and ran back to college.  Campbell isnt Saban, not even close

Just now, Matt39 said:

Probably.  He’s been the number one candidate for a while from everything that I’ve heard.  That doesn’t mean he will leave college, make him a guarantee success, or come without a significant amount of risk.

Sounds a lot like Mike Zimmer.  A guy that has been, by all accounts, a very good head coach in Minnesota, who got the job when he was 58.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the supposed risk you take with a coordinator.  It’s irrelevant.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Andy Reid, Bill Belichick, Vrabel, Tomlin, McVay etc, all HCs you never would have given a job because they were like Bowles, assistants or positional coaches 

These guys were all in their 30’s when they landed their first HC gig. Martindale is 57 and has been a DC for two seasons. He seems to be a fine positional coach. He’s just not a fit for the Jets at HC. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

These guys were all in their 30’s when they landed their first HC gig. Martindale is 57 and has been a DC for two seasons. He seems to be a fine positional coach. He’s just not a fit for the Jets at HC. 

Who cares, the best HC in the NFL is in his 60s.  So what, life is over at 55?

Again, I would be fine with Campbell, doesnt mean he will accomplish anything in the NFL.   Saban failed and ran back to college.  Campbell isnt Saban, not even close

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Who cares, the best HC in the NFL is in his 60s.  So what, life is over at 55?

Jets need someone with more experience. A positional coach with 2 years of experience as a DC taking over the worst franchise in the league over the last decade is not something that will likely work out. You’re going to defend whoever the team hires, so why even argue?

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Jets need someone with more experience. A positional coach with 2 years of experience as a DC taking over the worst franchise in the league over the last decade is not something that will likely work out. You’re going to defend whoever the team hires, so why even argue?

He has 8 years of coordinator experience between college and the NFL, not 2.

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

And what does that mean exactly that you can correlate to winning as a HC?

Not one thing

Hes just not a fit for the Jets at HC because you want someone else and thats that.

McDermott wasnt a HC in his 30's

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

You didn’t really say anything either. Is there a reason you are pushing this guy?  What gives here? A DC of 2 years for a team whose defense is always good and who’s also old is going to be the guy who leads the change here? Come on. At least try and be impartial. This is a weak candidate. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

i could easily make the case that most college HCs fail in the NFL.  I would be right

Most successful NFL HCs started as coordinators, thats the truth

You can argue that all day and night but would be wrong.  But its not important you just want who you want

OH and the Jets arent the worst team of the last decade 

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

i could easily make the case that most college HCs fail in the NFL.  I would be right

Most successful NFL HCs started as coordinators, thats the truth

You can argue that all day and night but would be wrong

OH and the Jets arent the worst team of the last decade 

Longest playoff drought in football besides the expansion Browns. They are pretty dang awful. Thank god for Wink lol.

25 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Longest playoff drought in football besides the expansion Browns. They are pretty dang awful. Thank god for Wink lol.

What does the Browns being an expansion team in 1999 have to do with the 2010-2020 seasons?  

The Jets went to a AFCCG in 2010, won 11 games, the Bills haven't won a playoff game since the early 90s, does that make them more successful?  

Thank god for wink, lol????? 

24 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You didn’t really say anything either. Is there a reason you are pushing this guy? A DC of 2 years for a team whose defense is always good who’s also old is going to be the guy who leads the change here? Come on. At least try and be impartial. This is a crap candidate.

I made multiple points, such as the fact that Zimmer was a 58 year old positional coach and DC, much like Martindale, before getting the Vikings job, and you completely ignored it.  If you want to ignore something because it goes against an agenda you have, it doesn’t mean I didn’t say anything; it means you’re cherry-picking what you want to argue.

I’m pushing him because I like him and think he would be a very good head coach.  I see a lot of Rex Ryan in him, but without the flaws (too “loud” or “friendly” as a coach and failed to embrace modern NFL offenses for his teams).  Players love him.  He has fielded very good defenses.  He’s a disciplinarian.  His OC choices sound very enticing.  If what I’ve heard about his DC choices is true, they’d be pretty darn good too.  He reminds me of recent DC hires like Zimmer and McDermott, guys this team would kill to have.  There really isn’t much to dislike.  Also, again, he has 8 years experience as a DC, not 2.  Furthermore, who cares if the Ravens have always had a good defense?  It’s probably because they always pick good defensive coordinators.  You can’t sit here and tell me my opinion is any less “impartial” than yours.  I criticize this team up and down.  I absolutely hated the Gase hire when it was announced.  For the the second time in the last few days, I’m not here, undercover, to peddle the Jets PR.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I’m sorry, for a franchise in this much turmoil...you can’t hire a 57 year old DC to turn this thing around.

What in the world does 57 year old matter?  Are we in the 19th century?  I'll worry about his age when he reaches Medicare age.  And right now, Elmer J Fudd could turn this team around.

• Upvote 1