Albert Breer says keep an eye on this coach for Jets vacancy

HawkeyeJet

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Age, plus moving up the ladder timeline. He’s been a coordinator for 3 seasons at the NFL level. I think the Jets need a guy with way more experience coaching all facets of a team. We’re going to pair another young QB with an older linebackers coach? Really?

Well my friend, that is the beauty of a staff and hiring a good OC and QB coach. While the HC, ya know, coaches the team. 

So far we've seen Martindale linked to Joe Brady and Tony Elliot as an OC under him. That to me, looks like he (forgive me) knows where football is going. 

Vrabel was just a linebackers coach but he paired up with LeFleur and Dean Pees and it seemed to work out for him. Now that I write that out, it actually sounds exactly what Martindale is trying to do. Young OC and veteran DC for experience to lean on.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Campbell I think checks the most boxes. Young(but not too young), HC experience, can run a program, was an OC so understands offensive football.

It'd be a miracle if he takes the job since he declined an interview when we hired Gase but I'd be most happy if he was hired.

Some outside the box college coaches to keep an eye on/potentially consider besides Campbell/Fitzgerald...in no order:

Jeff Monken - HC, Army

Will Healy, HC- Charlotte

PJ Fleck, HC Minnesota

Jamey Chadwell, HC Coastal Carolina

Tony Elliot, OC Clemson

Luke Fickell, HC Cincinnati

Lance Leopold, HC Buffalo

1 minute ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Well my friend, that is the beauty of a staff and hiring a good OC and QB coach. While the HC, ya know, coaches the team. 

So far we've seen Martindale linked to Joe Brady and Tony Elliot as an OC under him. That to me, looks like he (forgive me) knows where football is going. 

Vrabel was just a linebackers coach but he paired up with LeFleur and Dean Pees and it seemed to work out for him. Now that I write that out, it actually sounds exactly what Martindale is trying to do. Young OC and veteran DC for experience to lean on.

Out of curiosity, what is the link to either Brady or Elliot? 

44 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

This doesn't help us in 2020 though. I can't see Brady making a lateral move unless Woody blows him away financially....which is not exactly Woody's forte. 

I'm aware. I was pointing out that his name is being connected to these bright young OC's. Last year was Brady, this year it's Elliot. Who knows if it actually happens.

I think Arthur Smith is viewed as a McVay type who has football/leadership in his family and can make the transition from OC to HC/CEO.  

Seeing how he watched his father be one of the world's best CEOs, that could be possible.  

Guys like Daboll and Martindale, and certainly Bienemy, scare me because there is no evidence at all that they can become successful Team CEOs, and some exude vibes that would imply otherwise.  

Although the Johnsons did hire Douglas, and Ryan, I wonder if they would hire a guy who is put together like Martindale.  He looks like a mess.