HC Candidate Wink Martindale

Rhg1084

31 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I just read a report he'd be trying to bring Tony Elliot from Clemson as OC and Lovie Smith or Marvin Lewis as DC?

That would be quite the staff.  Going after an established DC/Former Head Coach is something I think would be really smart as well.  Lets focus on the entire club, but have a trusted vet to help a rookie HC.  

If that report is accurate, it would be quite an exciting hire.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, maury77 said:

He's got some guns on him. All kidding aside, I'd be happy with Martindale, I'm just concerned that he would want to play a 3-4 when I want the team to switch to a 4-3 (although if he hired Marv Lewis or Lovie, both those guys ran 4-3 defenses). 

We struggle get pass rushers in a 3-4 and that would be even more of an issue in a 4-3 since you need 6-5 265lb DEs, plus we have to change a lot of personnel. Possible but difficult.

29 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

We struggle get pass rushers in a 3-4 and that would be even more of an issue in a 4-3 since you need 6-5 265lb DEs, plus we have to change a lot of personnel. Possible but difficult.

True, but with a 4-3, I think we could start JFM-Foley-Q-(insert player) and, on passing downs, switch JFM inside for Foley. Plus, the Jets are really weak at LB and a 4-3 pulls 1 LB off the field. 

I think he's an awesome guy, and he's the perfect version of Rex Ryan - less hyperbole/bravado, more discipline - but I'm not convinced he's the right coach for this team. His upside comp is Mike Zimmer. He's culture driven, demanding-but-loved by his players, a "hands-on" CEO-type, will coach the players available to him, and has a lot of relationships which will allow him to attract coaching talent. 

Mike Zimmer would probably be a best-case scenario, and while Zimmer has been a very solid having amassed a 65-50-1 record in his 6 years coaching the Vikings (3 playoff births, 1 .500 record, 2 losing records). He could easily be another Romeo Crennell or Vic Fangio. Either way, neither are necessarily what I'm looking for. 

Martindale will win a lot of fans over if hired, but I just don't know if he's the type of coach to build the team into a power-house. Instead, he feels like the coach that will make us relevant again rather than the one who will build a year-in year-out winner. 

• Upvote 1