Cheap Running Backs in Free Agency

predator_05

3 hours ago, Lith said:

A lot depends on what we have in Ty Johnson.  He has looked good in limited play, no idea how he would perform with more reps over a long season, but he was productive when given a chance.  He and Perine are under contract next season.  Add a guy in day 2 of the draft and a cheap FA option as insurance and that could be fine.  If Johnson's one good game was an aberration, then we have some work to do and I would consider an Aaron Jones type.

Gee. If only we could have a few games to learn what we have in these guys behind Gore. 

• Post of the Week 2

5 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Everyone has heard of the big name WRs hitting free agency, but there's little to no discussion on the RBs:

Aaron Jones, Kenyan Drake, Chris Carson, Philip Lindsay, James Conner, Gus Edwards.

Most are injury-prone, but good committee backs.

Aaron Jones averages over 5 yards a carry - one of the better RBs in the league - and won't cost more than $10 million a year, which is reasonable. The Packers drafted AJ Dillon in the early 2nd round, and they're not the type of front office that spends money on RB. 

Lindsay is the cheapest option, undersized back that somehow put up back to back 1000 yard seasons. By all accounts, a good team-mate and an excellent pro. 

Gus Edwards is the one i like best; averages 5 yards a carry,  an efficient runner and very affordable. Played great for the Ravens this year, and he's actually from New York.

Chris Carson could be a viable target. 

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Agreed, unless Jones becomes available. I dont see Godwin or Robinson shaking free. Hilton is kind of washed. Curtis Samuel is a definite yes and would be some payback for Anderson. 

Jones is almost Kamara. Can play every down. You give him what it takes, imo. You draft a back in rounds 3-4 too. Perine is depth and may be fighting for a spot next year.

Hilton isn’t washed he can still play.  He is perceived that way which is why he of all the big name UFA WRs is one we actually have a shot at

4 hours ago, slats said:

This is how I feel. Personally, I like the RB by committee approach, but if they make Arthur Smith head coach, and he wants his Travis Henry in the draft, I'm not gonna be upset about it. 

Also, to the OP, $10/year for a RB =/= cheap, lol. This is a position that frequently gets filled with UDFAs. 

Travis?  Blast from the past!!!

I agree.  I've always been a firm believer in never pay a RB a 2nd contract, my only exception was Bell because I assumed he'd be used more creatively in the passing game and really help Sam.  Since that bit us, I'm firm on never again unless the circumstance calls for it ei; back up, low mileage, bringing as an rbbc type.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Travis?  Blast from the past!!!

I agree.  I've always been a firm believer in never pay a RB a 2nd contract, my only exception was Bell because I assumed he'd be used more creatively in the passing game and really help Sam.  Since that bit us, I'm firm on never again unless the circumstance calls for it ei; back up, low mileage, bringing as an rbbc type.

Jones is 26 with limited tread on the tires and has averaged 5.2! YPC over his career. Pair him with a mid round pick and boom. Offense.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Jones is 26 with limited tread on the tires and has averaged 5.2! YPC over his career. Pair him with a mid round pick and boom. Offense.

He's played 1 full season his career.  Great when available.  I'm not going to be upset but seems like a stupid thing to do.  

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's played 1 full season his career.  Great when available.  I'm not going to be upset but seems like a stupid thing to do.  

Backs miss games. Nature of the position. Paired with a 3-4th round guy like the Packers have done with Williams and now Dillon...he's an explosive weapon. Unlikely they let him leave (possible franchised?) But certainly someone to pursue.

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Chris Carson could be a viable target. 

You draft Sewell, sign Thuney & Lindsey, Chris Carson would be a truckload! 
Seattles Oline blows & the guy performs!

Draft Najee at 34, start Carson & have Perine until Harris pass blocking us up to speed & that is 3 effing tough RBs to deal with for 4 quarters all of which can run between the tackles, have enough speed to get the edge & catch out of the backfield! 

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Draft our future stud. Sign a veteran like Gus Edward’s who we know is a good rotational back, and gives us a veteran early in that can pick up the blitz (the #1 reason rookie RBs don’t get on the field). 

Save the big $$$ for some combination of Godwin, Robinson, TY Hilton or Curtis Samuel. Our entire WR room needs to be rebuilt, aside from Mims.

I would love it if we came into next year with Godwin, Samuel, Mims and a WR take within the first 2 rounds + a guy like Gus Edwards, Perine and a new rookie RB.

Agreed with all of this.  Godwin or Allen Robinson have to be priority targets.  And yes, the only RBs that should be signed in free agency are RB2 types.  I never hated the Gore signing.  I only hated how much run he's gotten under Gase.

Aaron Jones, meanwhile, will cost way more than he is actually worth.  

• Upvote 1

RB is one of my lowest priorities on offense for this offseason. I prefer to focus on o-line (draft Sewell at 2 & perhaps a mid-tier FA interior o-lineman) & sign a legit #1 WR (Allan Robinson ideally but Godwin or Golladay would be fine).

After that I would even be looking TE if I could get an upgrade via trade, FA or draft.  

Even with the Seattle 1st rounder, I'm looking for "offensive weapon" or interior o-line or CB before RB.  

If forced to choose, depending on the offense, I love Etienne.  But I think we can go another year with RB by committee and focus on more important positions.  

I’m in favor of investing cheaply and widely at running back. The bell cow guys get washed too quickly, and the ability to run the football successfully depends so much as a team on the line and quarterback play.

I think it’s a way better allocation of resources to a) make sure the line that opens holes but also protects the quarterback is good and b) have a couple to a few backs who the team can keep fresh and won’t cause a major issue if your guy gets hurt.

The guys who eat up touches are unicorns. Plus they often eventually wear down. Someone like Kamara - who was a third round pick - benefits from his intelligence to not take a lot of hits, the kinds of touches New Orleans gets him in space, and their use of Latavius Murray to keep him fresh. Kamara leads New Orleans in rushing and receiving but he’s only got 932 rushing yards to Murray’s 656 -  which would lead the Jets by 3 yards. And Kamara’s a superstar who hasn’t missed a game. The days of one back are over. 

All of that said, he was also just a third round pick. A lot of the earlier picks only work out so well. Jones who is explosive was drafted in the fourth. Lindsay is explosive and was a UDFA. It was really jarring watching the Cowboys for a bit on Sunday and watching a banged up Zeke Elliott with tired legs look like he was running through quicksand and see how dynamic Tony Pollard looked in comparison.

I think a cheap free agent - Lindsay or Edwards depending on the staff - would be smart. Flexibility to add a draft pick too, see if you get lucky and land that star, and work on building that committee. Free agents aren’t crazy at running back. Nobody’s giving out Bell money.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Backs miss games. Nature of the position. Paired with a 3-4th round guy like the Packers have done with Williams and now Dillon...he's an explosive weapon. Unlikely they let him leave (possible franchised?) But certainly someone to pursue.

Like I said, I'm not against it, I wont be mad but seems like he'd cost a pretty penny and not sure that's worth it.

• Upvote 1

A veteran RB not named Frank Gore would be smart to bring onboard.  I foresee a "Joe Douglas Special" coming in FA....decent player for low $$$.  Who is the Breshad Perriman of RB free agents this coming year?  Sign that guy and put him in the RB room with Perine and Ty Johnson.  Then, if a good RB prospect slips in the Draft somewhere around Round 3 or 4, pull the trigger and let him compete with Perine and Johnson.

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

I'm shocked not to see what I see as the best and most obvious cheap and very good RB who will be a free agent:

MARLON MACK!!!

He's only 24.  Got injured this year.  He is LEGIT GOOD for his price and can be a lead back. 

He's my #1 RB target this off season. 

Mack is good. Banged up a lot. I just think you can draft his skill set in the first 4 rounds most years. 

Better to go tier 2 FA at RB, and not over-invest in the position with salary cap.

• Upvote 1