For the 35% who want to keep Sam, would you...

Pointdexter

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If we're stuck owing him $10 mil regardless, and he's that bad (so who is trading anything of value for a horrible $10 million QB), why not have him back?

He can backup as needed.  He can compete with whomever the "other" QB we get is.  And small tho the chance may be, he might be better than our flip flopping fanbase thinks once under a decent non-Gase Head Coach.  I don't think we can eliminate the "Gase Effect" from eval. of Sam.  Gase murders QB's talent and careers.

Seems like a very "cut off nose to spite face" thing to trade Sam for little gain.  Makes angry fans (most of whom were huge Sam hype people, lol) feel better, doesn't make the team better.

$5MM not 10. Half of that is amortized SB already paid; the other half is new money. There’s no discussion of outright cutting Darnold to save a roster spot; that would be the only way we’d owe him $10MM regardless.

IMO it depends on what the offers are. If someone still sees in him what they saw in 2017 plus factoring in that Gase effect, and offers up a day 2 pick, I’d take it. If the best offer we get is a 5th rounder, keep him as a backup with upside. If the best offer we get is a 4th then that’s really where I could go either way.

I’m not effectively trading a day 2 pick away (let alone a 1st rounder if that’s possible) for another year of Darnold as backup or seat-warmer. And if they take a QB at #2 (or even later in round 1) a backup he will be unless there’s another Brees/Rivers scenario (in which case we still lose him, just a year later).

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, slimjasi said:

35 percent! Wow. 

I wonder if the Same 35% wanted Sanchez back for year 4 (2012)

At least for me, it’s not that I want Sam to come back because I think he could still become a top 5 QB. I want Sam back because I don’t think this team is ready to bring in another first round draft pick qb. Ideally, I’d love to see the Jets trade out of number 2, accumulate as many premium picks as possible and have a solid team for whoever we bring in after the 2021 season. Because I want the Jets to build the roster up, that likely would mean he’d be here next season. Sam is cheap right now and still has some upside, though I doubt anything will come from it. Confidence is so important for these young qb’s. You stick a qb on this team with little to no talent you get what Sam Darnold has become. I’d rather see the next QB come in with a solid o line and some weapons around him versus bringing in a qb in now with replacement level talent to work with.

• Upvote 1

Responding to a couple points in this thread

1. Sam doesn't work hard to improve.  I don't believe that.  He's just not good.

2. Trade him.   We're not getting more than a 6th for Sam.  NFL coaches know what we know.  Would you trade a 2nd for Darnold?  Plus there's an excess supply of QB's this year so QB's are cheap - it's a buyers market.

3. Bring in a FA.  No thanks.  Sam is signed, we have Flacco and Morgan and a new rookie.  No room for a FA.  Save the cash.

4, Draft a QB.  We should absolutely draft a QB and plan to sit him for part of the season.   We need Sam to start the season.

5. Let Sam play with a better supporting cast and coaches.   Arob and Godwin are not signing here - they're not dumb.  Realistically though, we can have a better right tackle and a better, younger back and maybe a new rookie receiver and obviously a new coach.  That's not bad.  If Sam can improve from 30th best to 20th, maybe we can get a 5th round comp pick for him or sign him to backup money and reset our QB clock.

6. Give Sam one more shot to sink or swim.  Problem with this is, Sam will probably just tread water.

7. Let the new coach decide.  This is a great point.  Match the QB style with the coaches vision.  I hope we get a mobile QB and run a modern zone read offense.

Root for Fields on Friday!  It makes our number 2 more valuable.

Yes, if we pass on a QB with our top pick, I would not draft a QB period. I would bring in a guy like Trubisky or someone young who hasn’t panned out so far. If both fail, draft a QB next year.

FA comes first though. So we’d likely be tipping our hand which is fine. Don’t pick up Darnold’s option and sign his competition to a 1 year deal. 

I would love to trade back and pick up a 2022 1st. We’d have 3 first next year to either finish the rebuild or get a QB. We’d only need two of them if we decide to trade up. Trading back gives us a bit of safety net in terms of draft capital. 

On 12/30/2020 at 4:00 AM, Pointdexter said:

bring in legitimate competition for him? If so, would you sign a free agent vet or hedge your bet through the draft?

For the 65% who want Sam gone, would you be more accepting of him remaining here in 2021 if we brought in legit competition (i.e. Minshew, Wentz, or draft pick). And would your preference be vet or draft pick for that comp?

So, I don't WANT or NOT WANT Sam to stay for 2021. I just know he's not going to be part of the Jets future. If the Jets decide to draft a QB this year and aren't able to trade Darnold, we're going to see some great competition between Morgan, the rookie, Darnold and a vet. Maybe they carry 4 QBs until they can trade Darnold. Maybe they IR someone. If the Jets DON'T draft a QB this year they'll still go after a FA vet to compete with/backup Darnold. If you're talking about 'legit' competition- let's be honest, any decent QB you sign will compete hard for the starting gig after the kind of inconsistent play Darnold has shown.  

And I think Morgan will be given more reps and a legit shot if he shows progress. 

you cant draft a QB and keep Sam.

you cant tell Sam he has to train his replacement hes not a vet hes a kid. he was the MAN, or savior, now you kick him to the curb but keep him on the team? he wont be able to handle that.

and forget this BS about having some QB competition. thats not going to happend. if JD picks a QB at 2 and Sam beats him out then we wasted the pick. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, doitny said:

you cant tell Sam he has to train his replacement hes not a vet hes a kid. he was the MAN, or savior, now you kick him to the curb but keep him on the team? he wont be able to handle that.

and forget this BS about having some QB competition. thats not going to happend. if JD picks a QB at 2 and Sam beats him out then we wasted the pick. 

Agreed. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, doitny said:

The Fields-lovers are so desperate to get Geno 2.0 they ignore the fact that we can actually bring in another qb to compete with Sam

You mean along with Morgan? LOL

Pointless.

Sam is garbage now. Keeping him would be the height of absurdity. 
Is it more insane than expecting the next guy to be elite with no team around them? Sam was dealt a bad hand, he has not looked good but he was dealt a bad hand and surely anyone who has watched this team can see that. It is not an excuse for his poor play nor does it have to be...maybe he can bounce back, we can not pause our search for a franchise qb to find out but at the same time we should not disclude the possibility that he can bounce back with a better supporting case and coach. To give up on him completely when we can let him competely with new competition in my opinion would be insanity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

15 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Is it more insane than expecting the next guy to be elite with no team around them? Sam was dealt a bad hand, he has not looked good but he was dealt a bad hand and surely anyone who has watched this team can see that. It is not an excuse for his poor play nor does it have to be...maybe he can bounce back, we can not pause our search for a franchise qb to find out but at the same time we should not disclude the possibility that he can bounce back with a better supporting case and coach. To give up on him completely when we can let him competely with new competition in my opinion would be insanity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Its the Contract, bro. Its not just whether or not Sam can figure sh*t out, or if he's better with a better team around him. Can't look at it like its just about on field play in a vacuum. Now we have 4th year options, franchise tags, etc to contend with. 

Getting a rookie resets that clock, and this time we don't need to throw away 3 second rounders and gut our options to get one.