Sal Pal says Bechton has Sub-Par year, says Trevor overhypeded

kevinc855

Becton has been solid. Not spectacular but actually quite good. He is definitely top half and probably close to Top 10. I think he has hit a bit of the rookie wall, but he should be much improved physically and also technique wise going into 2021.

PFF has him with a grade of 75 and 7 sacks and 7 penalties which is listed as 5th, not sure if 5th least or worst.

PFF gradings of OL are decent and Becton is already well above average. Plus let's not forget that he is probably already Top 5 maybe higher in run blocking among left tackles

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Becton/Wirfs is debatable with Becton playing the more difficult position.

That you predicted  that Becton would be "al liability" in the passing game probably explains you jumping to this conclusion 

Becton was a great call, he was put into the most difficult and most important position on the line and will go to the pro bowl.  

He hasn't been a great pass protector.  Certainly already a dominant run blocker though.

All I'm saying is Wirfs has had a better season...I'm not saying he's been bad - Overall for a rookie he's been solid.

But JD the Master Drafter had one choice - Bector or Wirfs...so far it looks like he's made the wrong choice.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

2 hours ago, KRL said:

So true!!!  Context is key, Wirfs went into a ready made OLine and played RT.

Becton was the LT on a rebuilt OLine and he was the focal point

A lot of people on this board said that the bucs Oline was trash last year and brady would isht the bed.  Now everyone in this thread is saying that the bucs line was ready made heading into this year?  Not saying that is what you thought of their line but there were many here of that opinion.

2 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

A lot of people on this board said that the bucs Oline was trash last year and brady would isht the bed.  Now everyone in this thread is saying that the bucs line was ready made heading into this year?  Not saying that is what you thought of their line but there were many here of that opinion.

Brady always gets rid of the ball very quickly though so he makes any OL look better.

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He hasn't been a great pass protector.  Certainly already a dominant run blocker though.

All I'm saying is Wirfs has had a better season...I'm not saying he's been bad - Overall for a rookie he's been solid.

But JD the Master Drafter had one choice - Bector or Wirfs...so far it looks like he's made the wrong choice.

One more time he hasn’t had a hard time  no matter how many times you say he does. He plays a completely different position than wirfs

9 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

TB had Donovan Smith, Ali Marpet & Ryan Jensen before they drafted Wirfs.  They weren't trash

1 minute ago, KRL said:

TB had Donovan Smith, Ali Marpet & Ryan Jensen before they drafted Wirfs.  They weren't trash

Oh believe me, I agree but was pretty much alone last offseason when I stated so.  People were blaming Winstons int on the oline.  On a seperate note, hard pass on Winston coming here next year.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, section314 said:

It’s like comparing LF and RF in MLB. You put your best OF in right, weakest in left. Same in the NFL with tackles. 

watching Myles Garrett absolutely abuse Becton last week

it was 1 sacks, the other FF somehow called incomplete but Garrett almost ripped Sam's arm off. 

here's a luke warm take perhaps Becton isn't a true LT in pass protection 

maybe he's just the best LT the Jets have on the roster, playing there out of necessity

and would be better, more dominant at RT where the TE usually line up and the QB can see it coming 

Becton can maul run block from either side

then get you know who at 2 the real LT who gave up 1 pressure in his college career, highest PFF grade in their history

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Oh believe me, I agree but was pretty much alone last offseason when I stated so.  People were blaming Winstons int on the oline.  On a seperate note, hard pass on Winston coming here next year.

Winston is a turnover machine to the point where he'll either throw a TD or an INT.  

He's maddening, no way should he come here

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They are both Tackles.

Thats like saying FS and SS is the same position. 

LT is the premier and more important position and it's not close. There is a reason LT's are more highly coveted in the draft and FA, why they are paid more and why LT is always played by the teams best tackle. 

If we draft Sewell there is no way we move becton. Becton is already a top 5 NFL tackle (easily) and has an insane cieling. Sewell would be places at LG a position that some experts say he would be better at than LT based on his skill set. 

JD thinking art shell and gene upshaw?

4 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Cimini Flight Deck podcast at 8 minute mark Sal Pal has some real hot takes...

Sal Paolantonio · Flight Deck with Rich Cimini (spotify.com)

Says Bechton hasn't lived up to expectations. Says JD messed up, shoulda took Wirfs.

Calls Trevor NOT a generational Talent, could just be just a Baker type guy. Needs a team around him. 

Unsure about Sam, has to fix the INT and risky throws.

Thinks Jets should hire Bienemy from KC.

I think every one of those takes is stupid, except for maybe Trevor.

9 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I just listened to the actual audio from the interview. Sal comes across pretty delusional the way he talks about both Becton and Lawrence. Almost dismissive.

"To put it charitably, Becton has had a sub-par rookie year." 

What the hell is he watching? If he even is. 

It’s as if ESPN is full of jet hating hacks

• Upvote 1

Becton has been awesome but he's allowed 6-7 sacks and is nothing in comparison to a generational Sewell in pass protection. 

If not for Trevor Lawrence, Penei Sewell is the hands down #1 overall pick. 

Becton has been awesome but football is a team sport and he's not great enough to make JD automatically pass up on the highest rated LT since Orlando Pace. 

Becton @ RT as more of a Highway 77 road grader then becomes impossible to contain. 

Also when opposing teams take their best pass rushers such as the Bosa brothers while trying to avoid Sewell? lol good luck; because they'll then run into a BRICK WALL in Becton (waiting for them on the other side). 

Sewell/Becton immediately transforms us from a left handed offense into an all around offensive attack. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

On the flip side. If the Jets did select Wirfs, picking an LT with the 2nd pick in the draft wouldn’t be so terrible. 

But I’m good with Becton 

there is nothing crazy or unreasonable about picking your RT at 11 and your LT at 2, having McGovern at one spot and drafting the other two.

That could be a great offensive line for the next 4 years that is actually relatively inexpensive.  Can then spend on other things.  

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

One more time he hasn’t had a hard time  no matter how many times you say he does. He plays a completely different position than wirfs

Are you suggesting Wirfs is a guard or center? 

If you want to believe Becton was dominant is pass proteection, I won't fight with you - we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

4 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

The comments about Darnold and Bienemy tell me everything that I need to know about this sh*thead. I CAN’T WAIT for him to shut the f*ck up with his horrible takes.

Always enjoy respectful disagreement and a well argued response.

33 minutes ago, varjet said:

there is nothing crazy or unreasonable about picking your RT at 11 and your LT at 2, having McGovern at one spot and drafting the other two.

That could be a great offensive line for the next 4 years that is actually relatively inexpensive.  Can then spend on other things.  

That is right but picking a guy at 11 and having him have a really good year at LT to just replace him with a rookie and move him to a less premium position is not an NFL norm. I don’t know enough about the prospect in question to make that call  but I can’t see that sitting well with Becton, not that he will shoot his way out of town but will always be buried in the back of his mind. Just human nature 

Who is this fool blaspheming the Big Ticket? I hope Bart scares the crap out of him again in retaliation. 

I can't say I've paid much attention to Wirfs but Mekhi has been so exciting to watch. Every LT is gonna give up a few sacks but he has neutralized some terrific d line players this season. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Are you suggesting Wirfs is a guard or center? 

If you want to believe Becton was dominant is pass proteection, I won't fight with you - we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

RT is not the same as LT. Yes, not the same