Sal Pal says Bechton has Sub-Par year, says Trevor overhypeded

kevinc855

5 hours ago, slats said:

There were a couple folks here poking holes in Lawrence before the Jets won a game. He'll be thoroughly dissected by April. 

That is true.  There was even some debate about Lawrence vs Fields early in the season (prior to Fields' 2 bad games), and now some look at Fields as a distant 3rd or even 4th option.    I think it is fortunate the jets are at 2 and in a position to pick the non-Lawrence QB of their choice.

9 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Cimini Flight Deck podcast at 8 minute mark Sal Pal has some real hot takes...

Sal Paolantonio · Flight Deck with Rich Cimini (spotify.com)

Says Bechton hasn't lived up to expectations. Says JD messed up, shoulda took Wirfs.

Calls Trevor NOT a generational Talent, could just be just a Baker type guy. Needs a team around him. 

Unsure about Sam, has to fix the INT and risky throws.

Thinks Jets should hire Bienemy from KC.

Dude was the best LT in football at times this year WTF is Sal smoking?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Wirfs has been the best tackle out of the group. But Becton has not been "sub-par". He's had a very good rookie year and was always more of a project at the position because of the system at Louisville. Wirfs is also on a much better team with much better lineman around him. 

You can't be anything less than thrilled with Becton's performance as a rookie in my opinion. After Wirfs, he's been the second best tackle out of that rookie group. 

Agree that Becton has been a great pick.   He is playing the left side where the better pash rushers line up.  I dont know how fair it is to compare a guy playing right tackle to one playing left tackle.  If he is all that , why didnt they put him on the left side???

9 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Says Bechton hasn't lived up to expectations. Says JD messed up, shoulda took Wirfs.

Calls Trevor NOT a generational Talent, could just be just a Baker type guy. Needs a team around him. 

I just had a chance to listen to the whole podcast, thanks for posting.

I really cant agree with the logic of some of Cimini's takes and predictions. First, waiting on a QB and taking Trask with the first pick in the 2nd??... That makes no sense to me. We don't need another project of developmental QB. I think JD either sticks with Sam one more year or he believes in a QB enough to take him at 2 overall. Waiting to draft the 4th or 5th ranked QB prospect doesn't make sense to me. Although, I'll admit, that tactic worked out okay for the Ravens recently, but I wouldn't count on it and definitely not the route that makes sense to me. 

Also, resigning Maye because JD regrets not signing Anderson last off season? Don't get me wrong, I want Maye resigned but if the basis for doing so is because you screwed up letting a WR walk last year... I pray JD has better logic than that lol. 

Finally, Sal Pal is a Dbag. This guy totally sh*t on Becton and didn't give him a fair evaluation at all. To say "I'll be charitable and call him underwhelming" is not even close to accurate. He even tried to bring Cimini into it by saying something along the lines of "I know you'd agree that he hasn't been dominant at all". To Cimini's credit he somewhat corrected him on that and said I think he got embarassed by Garret (true) but he's shown flashes of dominance. 

I have no idea if the Jets want him to lose weight but I'm sure the training staff can figure out if he can afford to lose weight and gain a little quickness without losing his power. I think a full offseason of NFL conditioning and training will help him take a big step next year similar to Q Will this year 

7 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Sal Pal is a Dbag. This guy totally sh*t on Becton and didn't give him a fair evaluation at all. To say "I'll be charitable and call him underwhelming" is not even close to accurate. He even tried to bring Cimini into it by saying something along the lines of "I know you'd agree that he hasn't been dominant at all".

Of course 'underwhelming' and/or 'not dominant' is a fair evaluation of 7 sacks and 7 penalties playing 70% of the snaps. You might not agree with it (shocker) but it is certainly at least fair.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

At this point he’s not wrong. Pretty underwhelming class to date.

Total BS. Becton, Mims, Hall, Mann, Perine is not underwhelming. It may not be great but it's certainly not underwhelming. When was the last time the Jets had 4-5 guys that could be solid pros from 1 draft? 

2 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Of course 'underwhelming' and/or 'not dominant' is a fair evaluation of 7 sacks and 7 penalties playing 70% of the snaps. You might not agree with it (shocker) but it is certainly at least fair.

Simple question. Is the offense anywhere near as good (or even functional) when becton wasn’t in?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

??‍♂️ I don't know... Like @Lupz27 said, with Becton it really is the eye test. Over the course of the season I feel like he was just consistently producing plays that made me go "Oh damn". Obviously that's about as non-quantitative as it gets but it's rare that over the course of any given play it's an olineman that grabs my attention but that happened over and over this season with Becton. 

I'll say this, I don't remember Brick blowing up defenders the way that Becton has this year. And I was a HUGE Brick fan. I went to college with him after he was drafted and he was the nicest down to earth guy in the world. 

I think Cimini had a pretty accurate take - Becton has shown flashes of dominance and makes some splash plays but needs to be more consistent. I'm happy with what I saw this year. He stepped into starting LT from game one during his rookie year after a nonexistent offseason and no preseason. I expect Becton to take a big step next year with a full offseason and hopefully improved oline next to him

• Upvote 1

@Defense Wins Championships

Sal Pal: "Lawrence is definitely not a transformational QB like Peyton Manning or Elway"

I laughed my a$$ off when I heard him say this.

Okay, so someone produced a link of an expert saying TL is not a Manning/Elway level prospect. I'm still waiting for your link from all the experts that said he's the best prospect since Manning and Elway ??

At least we can just laugh at this crap now that he'll never be a Jet. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Sal Pal seems to wrong on every take here.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, viffer said:

This. Everyone goes crazy over Becton in run but in pass he has a lot to learn. Gave up a bunch of sacks this year, and needs to learn the difference between pain and injury. But like QW last year, he is a kid, and has the potential to be a HOF'er if he continues to develop.

All I can say is thank God Sal isn't our GM. I'M perfectly happy with Becton and I think his play was pro bowl worthy. I really don't care about Lawrence? The Jets aren't getting him so how is it relevant. I can also think of at least 3 candidates I'd rather have before I even thought of Bienemy.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

That’s impressive. Cimini batting .000 Hard to do that. 

11 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Total BS. Becton, Mims, Hall, Mann, Perine is not underwhelming. It may not be great but it's certainly not underwhelming. When was the last time the Jets had 4-5 guys that could be solid pros from 1 draft? 

Pretty sad that this is the best they have done in years.  

52 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The Lawrence hype machine is a real thing, but regardless of hype he is the clear #1 QB in the draft. This status is boosted by the reality that in recent years, it is primarily the athletes who have excelled as young QBs ... Allen, Jackson, Watson, Mahomes, Murray

Trevor isn’t on par with those dudes athletically. He is Peyton Manning with a stronger arm.

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The Lawrence hype machine is a real thing, but regardless of hype he is the clear #1 QB in the draft. This status is boosted by the reality that in recent years, it is primarily the athletes who have excelled as young QBs ... Allen, Jackson, Watson, Mahomes, Murray

Lawrence is legit.  He’s Elway