How about signing Dak Prescott or Jameis Winston?

Viermoo

Honestly, you’d probably have to pay Dak 10 million more a year than you’d have to pay Wentz. I’d rather have Wentz and I think the connection to JD is there. I don’t see JD signing Dak, and I don’t see Dak wanting to come here if he leaves Dallas. 
jameis is a piece of garbage and will throw 30 ints a year but do just enough to keep you middle of the road. I can’t sign off on him in anyway. 

• Thumb Down 1

To be clear, "signing Dak Prescott" and "signing Jameis Winston" are completely different scenarios.

Signing Jameis Winston means we're keeping Sam and giving Winston a one year contract where he can win the starting job in an open competition.

Signing Dak Prescott means we're setting the NFL record for biggest contract in history.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Sturdi11 said:

Think a flyer on Mariota would work?

Not worth giving up the picks.  I love Mariota but his style leaves him open to getting plastered in the open field.  He's already had a ton of injuries and starting him would just open that can of worms again.

10 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Dak will be tagged. 

Winston? ?

I think his tag is $37m this year due to the 20% raise in tag from year 1 to year 2. I guess that's still less than the $39m per year Watson got but the Cowboys only have $23m in cap space and will have to use ~$10m of that on their rookie class.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

No no no no no no no no no no no no.

No.

This is JD's first crisis.  I think if he can be allowed to hire a head coach he will do a fine job in picking the right one. JD must address the QB position now.  

The options:

Option 1 You throw Sam back out there another year and sign a vet at the cheap to back him.

Stay with Darnold another year is relatively a safe option.  You stick with him and you don't spend a draft pick on a QB.  It's a 50/50 gamble. He lights it up and you sign off on his 5th year.  If he's that same average QB, you've lost the opportunity to get one of the top 3 QB's on the depth chart.  Macc waited and waited and waited and waited. Ultimately he boxed himself into a corner and wasted 3 picks and a 1st to take Darnold.  Now its 2022 draft and you're probably not picking top 10 to get one of the top QB prospects.  Not a fan of this.  I've seen enough of Sam. 

Option 2 You throw Sam back out there another year and sign a vet to back him and draft a QB somewhere in the 1st 2 rounds.

Another play it safe option. But I don't care for it. its just to wishy washy.  And it could backfire.  If JD stays with Sam, youve just wasted a #2 pick. 

Option 3 You trade Sam, draft a QB and throw him out there. Sign a vet cheap to start the season. 

JD has the opportunity to get his QB with a high pick in this draft.  That option will not be there in 2022.  Darnold is due a fortune in 2022.  Time to move on. 

Option 4 You sign a vet like Dak or Winston and draft a QB.. At his point it makes no sense to keep Sam and you trade him. 

Signing Dak would cost a fortune and he's coming off a bad injury. Pass.  Winston is intriguing.  Still young, could probably be signed for a decent contract, maybe he's matured.  Wouldn't be against it but you still take a QB @ 2.  

First choice option 3. Option 4 as well contingent on getting a vet QB not named Flacco on the cheap.

• Upvote 1

Winston could be a decent 1B option if we go into next year with just Darnold. With Darnold's propensity for both injury and subpar play, he could come in and replace him permanently without a long term investment. 
Dak is just too cost prohibitive for a team with so many needs and not ready to compete.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Icer said:

Winston could be a decent 1B option if we go into next year with just Darnold. With Darnold's propensity for both injury and subpar play, he could come in and replace him permanently without a long term investment. 
Dak is just too cost prohibitive for a team with so many needs and not ready to compete.

Agree. 

Winston would be a great QB to compete with Darnold because of his production. Sam's been struggling to get you 200 yards/game, while Winston could get you 400 (albeit with a couplafew interceptions). One thing's for certain, we'd have a much better idea of the caliber of the weapons on the team with Jameis hurling it around. If JD decides to punt on the rookie QB this year, this isn't a bad option. 

Also agreed that Dak will be too expensive, and I wonder how effective he'd be with less around him. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Dax = too expensive

Jameis = bum

If a veteran QB is the way the Jets decide to go, I would try to get Wentz. He would be at the top of my list.

Agreed! Get Wentz, sign thuney, and one of the WR’s and you can do whatever in the draft. Trade down and get more picks and grab chase, smith, or waddle with the first 1st pick. This may be my first option, 2nd would be taking the qb at 2.

• Thumb Down 1

I don't see JD overpaying for any player ever so I doubt he would sign Dak if he had the chance but I've thought about it. We have the cap to spend and can focus on building a team around him. I am not a huge fan of him from bulking at the contract offer from Dallas but he did come out early in the season and light it up so hey... 

Not going to happen though.

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

good wentz got lost in the bermuda triangle. he does alotta the crazy dumb sh*t sams been doing and is the only qb who isnt old to have such a precipitous fall in his play.

all other mentioned options to sam i say yes.

jiveass, dak, stafford.....

Are you having a stroke?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Dax = too expensive

Jameis = bum

If a veteran QB is the way the Jets decide to go, I would try to get Wentz. He would be at the top of my list.

Dak is out of the question. Agreed. Winston could be a good stop gap for a year or two. Wentz would be equally expensive though, wouldn't he. Eagles are not just going to eat his contract which is in the 20 millions. 

6 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Dak is out of the question. Agreed. Winston could be a good stop gap for a year or two. Wentz would be equally expensive though, wouldn't he. Eagles are not just going to eat his contract which is in the 20 millions. 

I think he is 10 mil cheaper than Dak would be based off of what was offered to dak. same age too.

we have the space and the contract would allow us to not have to give up much, may also be able to get a pick back with him.

• Upvote 1